[APP][2.1+] FX File Explorer Dev Thread (5.0: Material Design UI, Wi-Fi Direct Xfers)

Search This thread

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
I normally use File Expert and there is an Exit option in the menu of that app (can be added to the toolbar). If I open the app and then click on the Exit button it seems to me that the app closes completely - at least I can't see it as being active under running processes. Am I misunderstanding something here?

I just tried grabbing the latest version and pressing the menu key, tapping "more" and then tapping "exit". It does indeed completely exit the application by invoking System.exit().

Here's a log of what happens:
09-14 13:49:34.005 31679 31679 I AndroidRuntime: AndroidRuntime onExit calling exit(0)
09-14 13:49:34.020 1243 1243 I WindowManager: WIN DEATH: Window{461c2ca8 xcxin.filexpert/xcxin.filexpert.FileLister paused=false}
09-14 13:49:34.028 1243 1247 I ActivityManager: Process xcxin.filexpert (pid 31679) has died.
09-14 13:49:34.028 1243 1328 I WindowManager: WIN DEATH: Window{46300b00 Toast paused=false}
09-14 13:49:35.450 1243 1251 W NotificationService: Object died trying to hide notification android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@461876f0 in package xcxin.filexpert
09-14 13:49:35.450 1243 1251 W ActivityManager: setProcessForeground called on unknown pid: 31679
09-14 13:49:43.990 1243 1253 W ActivityManager: Activity destroy timeout for HistoryRecord{461ab148 xcxin.filexpert/.FileLister}

Android is responding to this as an application failure. According to the Android engineers, you should NOT do this.

everlethal

Nov 23, 2010
Sofia
Xiaomi Mi 11
This app with root access will be perfect. And one more thing if i can suggest, astro manager have an option that allow you to download any kind of files.

kay_kiat88

Dec 19, 2010
any plans for 2 panel viewing when in landscape? (good for devices with big screen such as galaxy tab 7)

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
I don't know why the explorer keep running. I'm using the browser and when I get back to the home screen using the home button the explorer shows up. It's like its always running.

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
I don't know why the explorer keep running. I'm using the browser and when I get back to the home screen using the home button the explorer shows up. It's like its always running.

It's likely your home screen application has crashed and the OS is either unaware of it or is unable to relaunch it. I've seen this before with arbitrary applications, Android will simply pick the most recent activity and display it.

The Home button is controlled entirely by Android, applications do not even have the capability to intercept it.

I strongly recommend watching that video about the Android activity stack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6gSd4ugSI&feature=player_embedded Unless you have active file transfers in progress or have FX's bluetooth push server actively accepting connections, Android will load and unload the application as it sees fit. The state will be persisted and written/retrieved from storage even when the application is unloaded entirely from memory (e.g., all your open windows will reappear when the application is reopened as though you never left it).

The key place where Android developers tend to screw up is not in "exiting" their applications, but rather in things like leaving resources open, threads active, or wake/wifi locks active while their application is not active. By comparison, working with the actual Android activity/application lifecycle is pretty straightforward, i.e., the default behavior does what you want in most cases. And again, forcing exit by shutting down the VM is considered to be very bad design.

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
Yes I know that...but some time the fx launch from other icon in my dock...I want to open xda app, push the xda icon...and launch the fx...its the only app that make this...

I will try to translate this app to Spanish if you don't care...

If you want the translate files I'll be happy to send it to you.

Reactions: tliebeck

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Yes I know that...but some time the fx launch from other icon in my dock...I want to open xda app, push the xda icon...and launch the fx...its the only app that make this...

I will try to translate this app to Spanish if you don't care...

If you want the translate files I'll be happy to send it to you.

That is extremely strange. Is there any chance it's just opening an FX file chooser, e.g., if you were last using the XDA app to select a file with the FX file chooser?

If that's not it, what launcher are you using? I've never seen this problem with any of the ones I've tried (with any app), albeit that's not a very long list (stock 1.5-3.2, ADW, ADW EX, Blur (various), Sense, TouchWiz).

With regard to translations, thanks, love to have help here but want to try to find a means to allow people to package translations themselves without me having to sign APKs and such. Android docs are extremely thin on using the resources/assets system to do things like this (not even certain it's possible). I have some unpleasant ideas for workarounds if it's not possible, but really would like to use standard APIs if it is.

I don't to want to package translations directly into the package that I can't maintain internally. People seem to get extraordinarily angry when they use an app which indicates that its translated into their language and then find out that a few strings are missing.

Cocolopes

Sep 29, 2010
Rosario
Well about the translation or anything you need let me know...I'm no dev but I will glad to help.

About the problem I had...I think its related to the fx moved to the SD card...when I moved back to the phone...the problem its gone.

starbase64

Apr 3, 2007
Hi,

in a kontex menu from a file is "Cut" and "Copy", but i can not find "insert" or "paste".

Please help.

with friendly greet

starbase64

starbase64

Apr 3, 2007
top left hand corner. tap on clipboard.

????

e1e6ymxacq5n.png

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
any updates from dev?

Sorry, did I miss a question, or are you just asking when the next update will be released?

If the latter, currently working on Bluetooth and some aesthetic features, hope to have a release out in the next couple of days (generally want to have about one a week when possible).

With Bluetooth, I'm changing the way things work a bit, such that you can run the Wi-Fi OBEX Push receiver server while running your phone's stock OBEX Push server (rather than requiring use of the FX OBEX Push server to use this feature.)

Reactions: kay_kiat88

pharz

Nov 24, 2005
Dronten
Very nice, my compliments!

One thing though (for now :D)
You know how you sometimes take a picture in landscape orientation and sometimes in portrait? The app makes no distinction and shows all in landscape.
Makes it hard to use for images that way.

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
Very nice, my compliments!

One thing though (for now :D)
You know how you sometimes take a picture in landscape orientation and sometimes in portrait? The app makes no distinction and shows all in landscape.
Makes it hard to use for images that way.

Thanks!

Are you seeing portrait images displayed rotated 90* in the image viewer? What phone do you have?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [APP][4.1+] FX File Explorer Dev Thread (7.0 released)

FX 7.0 is now available!
    Note: This initial post is now VERY out of date and will be corrected very soon. Screenshots are from old prior versions (2017/08/10)

Hello all,

This is the ongoing development thread for FX File Explorer. I greatly appreciate feature suggestions, bug reports, and general feedback!

FX intends to be an uncluttered, everyday-usable file manager for Android. The primary development goal has been to create the same level of usability, intuitiveness, and efficiency as that offered by the file manager on your desktop computer.

Local file management features of FX are free, including the root features, indexed search, cleaning tools, usage view, non-encrypted archive creation/extraction, the text editor, and all other viewers (e.g. script exec, binary viewer, image viewer). The network/cloud stuff and media-specific stuff (e.g. browsing music by album, editing playlists) is a paid add-on called "FX Plus".

The free version of FX is not a "Lite" version or some kind of watered-down demo. There is no advertising in FX. And there is no user-tracking, phoning home, or any other "doubleplusungood" stuff of any kind in FX.

FX Connect Demonstration

A demonstration of FX connect. Phones are paired together using NFC by opening FX and touching their backs together. Transfers take place over a high-speed Wi-Fi Direct connection.

Home Screen

The "Home Screen" appears when you first open FX. The idea of the home screen is that you create bookmarks to the folders you actually use, rather than milling through the garbage every app places in the root folder of your SD card.

One last note regarding the free-vs-plus stuff: The features shown in the "Media" and "Internet and Network" sections are part of the "FX Plus" add-on, while everything else is free. And another note: the home-screens below have every option turned on: you can use the "View" menu to customize what is shown.

• The first image shows a default home screen.
    • The second image shows the home screen configured with a translucent dark theme and view mode set to "Icon". The translucent dark theme uses your default system wallpaper (or optionally an alternate wallpaper of your choosing).

Home.png
    HomeTrans.png

Directory Browsing

These screenshots show FX viewing a directory. The one on the left shows the Material Design Teal theme, the one on the right uses a translucent theme.

FilesSolid.png
    FilesTrans.png

Windows and Split View

FX supports multiple (unlimited) windows, with the ability to view one or two at a time.

• The first screenshot shows the window menu, which is accessible by tapping the slide-out icon in the upper left corner or sliding your finger from the left edge of the screen to the right.
    • The second screenshot shows the split view mode. You can enter this mode from the window menu by tapping "Split View", or by dragging the path bar from the top of the screen downward.

SlideOut.png
    SplitFiles.png

Root / Developer Features

FX supports root access. Root access requires an add-on, but the add-on is free.

Root access is kept entirely separate from normal file browsing, and can optionally be protected.

Developer features include:
    • Root access may be secured via PIN, Password, or Warning; secured access can be enabled for viewing or only for modifications
    • Remount filesystems as read/write or read-only
    • Disable System Apps
    • Root Usage View
    • Recursive Search
    • Modify permissions
    • Change Ownership/Group, with Android-based design (e.g. select an app-specific user by app name; see screenshot)
    • Symlink Creation (relative and absolute)
    • Shell Script Execution, with support for creating launcher shortcuts to execute scripts [NR]
    • Explore APK Contents [NR]
    • View Android Binary XML Files in Text Viewer [NR]
    • View any file in Binary Viewer [NR]
    • MD5/SHA1 Checksum and Composite Checksum Calculation/Comparison (checksum directory structures, optionally with UNIX permissions, [NR])
    Items marked with [NR] do not require root, but may offer more functionality when root is available.

RootList.png
    RootSetPermissions.png

RootDetails.png
    RootUsage.png

FileSystemManager.png
    ScriptExecutor.png

Text Editor

FX includes a full-featured text editor. It can edit local text files, edit files as root, and edit files on remote hosts (with FX Plus add-on). Features include:

• Undo/Redo with History (able to undo/redo multiple times)
    • Cut/Copy/Paste
    • Pinch-to-zoom font scaling
    • Proportional and fixed fonts, word wrap can be enabled/disabled
    • Optional shortcut bar can be enabled to provide arrow keys and fast access to undo/redo
    • Jump to line number, beginning/ending of file
    • Find text within documents
    • File browsing for Open/Save As
    • Enable/disable autocorrect
    • Multiple color schemes
    • Save/load files in different character sets
    TextEditor.png

Plus Add-On

All features demonstrated above are entirely free. The Plus Add-On is the paid component of FX, and adds additional features:

• Application management: browse user, system, or all installed apps
    • Browse installed apps by permission (e.g. find all apps which require GPS location or Internet access)
    • (Root Access Required) View /data usage by application, disable any application
    • AES-128/256 Zip Encryption/decryption; browse inside encrypted zip files/folders, view text files, images, audio and video files without ever writing decrypted version to media
    • Browse all Images, browse images by folder (e.g. Camera folders on different media/SD cards)
    • Browse camera Videos or all videos on device
    • Browse Music by Artist, Album, Playlist, or view all music
    • Browse ringtones, podcasts, notifications, and alarm sounds
    • Create playlists, add albums/tracks/artists/playlists to playlists, reorder playlists via drag-and-drop
    • Bluetooth FTP and Bluetooth Pairing within FX (pushing files via Bluetooth does NOT require FX Plus if your device supports it)

FX Plus adds support for the following network/cloud services:

• SMB (Windows Networking), supports network browsing (SMB1 and SMB2)
    • FTP, including FTP-S and FTP-ES; browsing local network supported via mDNS
    • SSH, including public key, password, and interactive authentication; browsing local network supported via mDNS
    • WebDAV, including WebDAV over HTTPS; browsing local network supported via mDNS
    • Google Drive
    • Dropbox
    • Box
    • SugarSync
    • Microsoft OneDrive
    • OwnCloud (by creating a WebDAV connection)

Images.png
    Playlist.png

Network.png
    AppPermissions.png

-
    How to get FX

Current Play Store Version

To get the current version (5.x) from the Play Store, simply click here:
    Download via Play Store

Beta Testing

FX can be beta tested by either downloading APKs directly (links will be posted in this thread) or via the FX beta channel on Google Play. At any given time, there may or may not be a release in the beta channel. (There won't be a release when a beta has just been pushed into production).

To join the Google Play public beta test and receive automatic updates:

Step 1: Join this Google+ community: https://plus.google.com/communities/101301040394875566704

Step 2: Visit this page to opt-in for beta testing: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/nextapp.fx
    Beta APKs are also posted in this thread.

Step 3: Get FX from the Google Play Store: Download via Play Store

If you'd prefer to download an APK directly:

Go to the last page of this thread and grab a beta APK by clicking a download link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1253399&goto=newpost

APKs of FX are archived here:
    http://android.nextapp.com/fx

Notable versions:

Root add-on:
    The root add-on is available for direct download here: http://android.nextapp.com/fx/FXRoot.apk
    (Root features may now be enabled directly via settings.)
    FX 4.0 Beta Release (4.0.0.11)

This is not yet in the beta channel. I intend for this to move there within a couple of days, but would like to get some initial feedback here first.
    Update: Now in beta channel (APK also available directly below)

New features include in 4.0 (vs 3.1) include:
    • Material Design UI Overhaul
      • New themes featuring Material Design colors
      • New default icon theme
      • New Material Design animations
    • Updated List View Appearance
    • Image Viewer Updates
      • Horizontal image flipping
      • Next/Previous image preview when flipping
      • Zoom in/out animation when entering/exiting image viewer from file listings or image album views
    • “Recently Updated” catalog (available on home screen)
    • Storage Access Framework support
      • Enables Android 5.0 (Lollipop) users to write to MicroSD cards (without root access)
    • Root Support for Android 5.0

Test release notes:
    • YOUR THEME WILL BE RESET to the default material design version. You can change it back, but I want everyone to see the intended "stock" behavior first.
    • You can turn off directory navigation animations (sliding effect) separately from general animations via the preferences. The directory navigation animations are on by default.
    • Streamlined linking of MicroSD card to Storage Access Framework is not yet available. Writable MicroSD support is available under Android 5 by tapping the homescreen’s menu, selecting “Connect to Storage”, selecting the MicroSD card, and then adding a bookmark.
    • Notifications are not Material Design
    • Miscellaneous other items are not yet implemented correctly in material design (e.g. Bluetooth on/off switch, network status lights…)
    • The compressed archive icon and possibly a few others are in dire need of replacement.
    • New image viewer has some outstanding issues with regard to animation in certain scenarios (e.g. cloud/network)
    • Looks best on Lollipop, but still works on a five year old Droid 1 running 2.1 (Eclair).

Screenshots:

_Home.png
    . . .
    _MusicAudio.png

_WindowMenu.png
    . . .
    _Menu.png

_Usage.png
    . . .
    _CleaningTools.png

_Network.png
    . . .
    _ListView.png

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://android.nextapp.com/fx/r4011/FX_r4011.apk

In the event that you want to revert to version 3.1, that APK is available here: OLD VERSION -->http://android.nextapp.com/fx/r3122/FX_r3122.apk <---OLD VERSION
    FX is back on the Play Store

The APK is the same one which was uploaded a few months ago, i.e., no modifications whatsoever have been made.

I managed to get hold of a real person, and it was corrected immediately.

Very sorry for the inconvenience of all this.
    FX development has been ongoing, but somewhat slower than I'd like. Google's late behavior has been fairly frustrating to me. Recently FX was banned for a week for containing an "ad" which actually turned out to be caused by just showing a link to a free and open source theme that could be downloaded (the Faenza icon set). Its Google Drive support was temporarily disabled from Google's side, and it was extremely difficult to get it reinstated. Then it was threatened to be banned for containing an "illegal icon" that had been in place for at least five years (the one that said "NO ADS").

I realize they're trying to clean up the Play Store, but they're throwing good apps out with the bad. And when you get flagged for "violations", there's basically no way to explain yourself (and often there's no way to even understand what they're talking about, because you're already in total compliance with their policies to the best of your knowledge). I still love working on FX but the behavior of Google is downright demoralizing, especially when incredibly privacy-invasive apps seem to face no such penalty.

In better news, FX 9 is mostly beta ready. You can try out a preview release now if you'd like:

http://android.nextapp.com/fx/r8903/FXmicro_r8903.apk (micro version, no FX+ capabilities or video playback)

Please note this one is a beta-preview and thus not in the beta-channel on the Play Store. Hope to release a real beta there (and here) very soon.

--- Release Notes ---

• Updated full-screen content-centric user interface.
      • Major updates to UI for edge-to-edge usage of screen.
      • Dimmed content now scrolls under header/navigation bar.
      • Improved aesthetics on phones with gesture-navigation enabled (content drawn to absolute bottom of screen)
      • More compact menu/path listing
      • Monochromatic header bar (vs early Material Design "two-tone" header)
      • Long press context actions now appear on item ("open with" and "details")
      • Always dark views (e.g. images and video listings) now appear with dark headers
      • "Fancy" headers like Web Access/FX Connect now overlay header bar.
      • New default theme, theme updates.
    • SMB v3 support (courtesy of the awesome SMBJ open source lib that FX uses).
    • SSH EC-25519 support
    • Android 11/12 "Manage all files" permissions is now used where applicable.
    • Targeting SDK 31 (Android 12).

Removals:
    • Translucent themes (may be re-added at some point in future, possibly only for home screen)
    • Minimum SDK is now 21 (Android 5.0). FX v8 can still be downloaded for very old devices (SDK 16-19, Android 4.1-4.4)