[20.04.2010][v0.66] WMLongLife - Save your gonads (and battery) !

Search This thread

gpoint

Jun 29, 2005
Oh man you're a genius. Was looking for an app doing this for months now!
Will test it...hope we'll be able to configure our 2g/3g applications list soon.
Thanks!!

uniqueboy

Apr 11, 2006
Please can you add the option to restore already shrivelled gonads? (not me a close friend!)

Illodin

Jun 21, 2008
I Prefer balls to diamond

Mr. Man (Chainfire)

This application will be peace of art :)

I've tested it for a while. Some reason it doesn't switch back to 3G after I've executed Opera.

I've got:
HTC Diamond 2.03.401.2 wwe
Rom date 12/23/08
Radio 1.09.25.23
Protocol 52.51.25.26H
Opera 95: 15316

I'm looking forward next version :)

Br, Illodin

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Now after Omnia I also have i780 working. Yay :)

Please can you add the option to restore already shrivelled gonads? (not me a close friend!)

A friend hmm? ;) I'm afraid I'm going to have to refer you to a hospital.

Mr. Man (Chainfire)

This application will be peace of art :)

I've tested it for a while. Some reason it doesn't switch back to 3G after I've executed Opera.

I've got:
HTC Diamond 2.03.401.2 wwe
Rom date 12/23/08
Radio 1.09.25.23
Protocol 52.51.25.26H
Opera 95: 15316

I'm looking forward next version :)

Br, Illodin

First, Opera is a *****... had to do some special coding to detect wether it is running or hidden (Opera doesn't actually quit when you close it). Just noticed a few hours ago there is a bug in the app detection routine (probably one of my performance improvements things going bonkers), try closing it and restarting the app, then it will likely switch to 3G.

DaVince

Aug 26, 2006
Manila
Nice! for i780! Thanks!

i780 is also on the to-do list.. I just happen to have one lying here next to me :)
Good news everyone, I also figured out how to do 2G<->3G on Omnia! Going to test if that works on the i780 as well.
Now after Omnia I also have i780 working. Yay :)

Oh yeah.. my balls will thank you for this.
I will name one of my future children Chainfire! :D

or maybe not.. lol :D

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Oh yeah.. my balls will thank you for this.
I will name one of my future children Chainfire! :D

or maybe not.. lol :D

Yar I have not extensively tested on i780 though, but the base should work. Perhaps data disconnect will not. I'll let you test that though... Support is in 0.2 (not out yet).

------ EDIT -------

Just a heads up to you folks:

0.2 is coming along very nicely (now with i780 and Omnia support), but I'm not sure if I'll release it within a few days. I've done a lot of work converting the code so it can be turned into a service (which is what we want: a service with a control panel app, instead of a normal app). However, more testing, thinking and analysis of unexpected behaviour have lead me to believe I need to rewrite like half the logic code to get it working the way I want it to. Not sure if I'll release 0.2 before or after that. Time will tell, just FYI :)

0.2 does not include all those features you want, but is more an effort to make sure the base is sound. After that is clear, we will go further :)

Last edited:

DaVince

Aug 26, 2006
Manila
Yar I have not extensively tested on i780 though, but the base should work. Perhaps data disconnect will not. I'll let you test that though... Support is in 0.2 (not out yet).

That's fine. I would probably just hate it if autodisconnects when I actually don't want to. As long as it can stay connected while switching, then it's ok.

a service with a control panel app, instead of a normal app

Yes.. I definitely agree on this one. It should be a service rather than normal exe. Don't rush it though, quality is still priority. I'll test once you release 0.2.

tman1425

Nov 28, 2007
Dont doubt yourself. I wasn't going to post, but I just wanted to tell you that I am in fact very exciting about the work you are doing on this. I'm sure there are others also who just arent posting ;)

Manchurian

Aug 20, 2007
Very nice work Chainfire!

Nice to see one of the best programmers on this site has gotten a hold on a i780! I am willing to do some testing on this device also because;

First: The i780 needs this app with it's ****ty batterylife,
Second: I don't want three-legged kids later in life because at this point I feel the need to be able to watch pr0n anywhere, anytime :).

Great job!

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Alright, my head spends WAY too much time thinking about PDAs.

the deal is, that some of us (all of us?) plug our PDAs in for recharge when we go to sleep. thing is, that the phone keeps recharging AFTER the battery is fully charged. this isn't healthy for our battery since a few tens to hundreds of nA still flow throw the battery in addition to what is needed to keep the device on... nevermind - point is, maybe an option to virtually "disconnect" the phone after the charge meter reads 100 would be a good feature.

Actually (and i'm not gonna go into this electricitywise), disconnecting it at 99% would be even healthier for the battery.

Not sure if it's even possible.. since I don't know if charging has anything software-related.. but if so..

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Thx guys.

Nir: I'm not sure about that either, but I can look into it. There is an option to not charge when connected to USB somewhere so there is a chance there's something software related there. On the to-do list!

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Oh here,
in Settings/power/battery

there's a checkbox for: When device is turned on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC.

and we already know that it's possible to read the battery meter.. so simulating this checkbox for a specific battery staus is probaly possible. :)

xperian

Sep 29, 2008
Don't rush it with the battery loading thing. It's not needed. Every modern battery (Li-Ion, Li-Po) has the necessary circuitry logic built-in to prevent current from flowing through the battery when fully charged (it only starts charging when current drops to about 90-95%). You can read up on the necessary steps the charging unit goes through to keep the battery good e.g here:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_polymer_battery

So, please don't overreact on the battery thing, you might actually do more harm than good to the battery.

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
this is generally true. the thing is, that the base for verification of a charged battery depends on a few tens or hundreds of nA as to differentiate between a fully charged battery and.. one that isn't. It doesn't really keep charging it like before, but it needs to keep a certain status for it, and this status costs those nA's.

stickman

Jun 11, 2005
Wow, thanks a lot for this app, I've dreaming to have something like this for ages.
I'm only interested in QWERTY mobiles and given you're including support for i780, I might get one once I check some reviews on the device itself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note this is a BETA version and will have issues.

About
    WMLongLife is an automatic 2G/3G band-switching solution. It will keep your device in 2G when you do not need to use 3G, and will switch to 3G automatically when you do need it. For most users, having your device in 2G uses much less battery, and thus your phone lasts longer on a single charge. 2G also usually generates less radiation than 3G, so it will likely be better for your gonads (if you have them) as well (see this thread for a discussion about that) - think of your hypothetical future children!

Main features
    • 2G/3G (auto)/3G (only) automatic band switching based on:
      - Running programs and their needs
      - Availability of Wi-Fi
      - Availability of USB
      - Roaming [note: most roaming options have been removed, use the RoamFreely (marketplace) tool instead]
    • Idle data connections disconnect based on running programs (note that unlike the registry tweak this does not break simultaneous voice/data)
    • Manual band switching
    • Automatically disable data when roaming (including AGPS)
    • Pauses applications while switching bands (so you don't get networking errors)
    • Several predefined applications supported
    • Support for HTC/MSM72xx GSM devices (GSM/EDGE vs UMTS/HSDPA)
    • Support for HTC/MSM75xx CDMA devices (1xRTT vs EV-DO)
    • Support for various Samsung GSM devices (GSM/EDGE vs UMTS/HSDPA)

How to use
    The manual is in the post below this one. Give it a quick skim!

License?
    You can use this yourself on your own devices, if-and-only-if you download it from this post. You are not allowed to (re)distribute this app, not to your brother, not to your friends, not to anyone. Cooking it into your ROM and then distributing that is obviously also not allowed.

I reserve the right to turn this into something commercial if I want. I'm not planning it, but lets just cut the crap and say it may eventually happen (avoid BS like the last time). Should that happen, as last time, people who helped out will get taken care of.

Is this guaranteed to save battery?
    No, it is not. If it will or will not save battery is dependent on your configuration of WMLongLife, your 'average' network conditions, your radio, and usage. The default WMLongLife configuration will give you (also depending on those other factors) a nice average between least and maximum savings while trying to be not too annoying. Radio firmware is very tricky, and results vary all across the board. It is likely there is a radio thread for your specific device, if you are comfortable with flashing devices, flashing a different radio may give you better (or worse) connectivity and battery life. How your usage effects all this should be obvious: if all you do with your phone is watch YouTube until the battery goes flat, WMLongLife will not help you [at all]. If you pretty much use at as a phone with additional email and some browsing / Google Maps here and there, you may definitely see benefits. It all depends.

Now let's get to the most interesting part: network conditions. 3G [at least in theory] uses less battery than 2G under ideal conditions. However, these ideal conditions are hardly ever reached. A lot of battery is spent finding a decent/better 3G signal to use instead of 2G - and I mean a lot. If 3G is few-bars or just an unreliable signal in your area, your device will not just use a lot, it will use massive amounts of battery trying to get a [better] 3G signal. Aside from that, if the conditions are less than ideal, 2G may use less power than 3G. As an example, I am personally in an area with excellent 3G coverage (5 out of 5 bars of HSDPA) and my device still lasts nearly twice as long on a single charge with WMLongLife running. Your mileage may vary, of course. While it is completely possible that it may not make a relevant difference in your case, I would say there will be many people who this does make a difference for. This is also the reason you will see many people advising in "battery saving" threads to disable 3G and attesting to how much battery it saves for them, and others will always respond that it doesn't make a difference [for them].

Having an idle(!) data connection should theoretically not make a difference with power usage, you have the connection anyway, it's just a question about whether you have an IP or not. However, some background applications (inside services mostly) will initiate data transfers if (and only if) a data connection is already up. So if you have an idle data connection, these applications would start using data, while if you did not have a data connection (connected), they would not.

Supported devices
    This is a list of device it should work on, most of them have not been reported to work since 0.2, though.
    • HTC Touch Cruise
    • HTC TyTN II
    • HTC Touch Diamond GSM + CDMA
    • HTC Touch Pro GSM + CDMA
    • HTC Touch HD
    • HTC Touch Diamond II GSM + CDMA
    • HTC Touch Pro II GSM + CDMA
    • HTC HD2
    • Samsung i780
    • Samsung Omnia GSM
    • Samsung Omnia II GSM
    • Samsung Giorgio Armani II
    • Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    • Palm Treo Pro

Suspected to work on (never been tested, not even on 0.2):
    • HTC Titan/Mogul
    • HTC Vogue
    • HTC Touch 3G
    • HTC Touch Cruise II
    • HTC MAX 4G
    • Samsung Epix
    • Toshiba TG-01 ??

Important release notes
    Currently known issues and problems and the changelogs are listed in the 4th post of this thread.

Donate

DONATE ! - Come on, almost 30 000 users and no more than a handful of donations ?

Download
    downloads before 0.66: 26977
    Hi Chainfire and all,

Don't know if anyone else has experienced the same problem, but I recently upgraded my ROM from DiaDuit 1.6.4 to 1.6.7, and WMLongLife's stopped working.

It worked perfectly fine under 1.6.4, but after flashing the new ROM, whenever I switch to a 3G application (like Opera), the WMLL "Switching to 3G" window will pop up, and it looks like the radio is switching to 3G, but somehow it will not be able to connect to 3G and will just continue to search. It will hang Opera, and I will have to terminate the application.

And it's not just Opera it has problem with. The same problem occurs for every 3G application I've defined.

Meanwhile, if I manually switch between 2G and 3G and back using CommManager, it works perfectly fine, and I can connect to 3G and download data no problem neither.

I've checked the radio setting and all that, and everything looks fine.

Has anybody else experienced this before?

I Have an HTC Touch HD and I am speriencing the same issue than you from the beggining :(