Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
So what do you recommend I do? Or at least how do I go about this? I have dalvik downloaded but I'm not sure what to do with it. I've cleared my normal cache from the recovery menu, tried installing my rooted rom again and still nothing. Do I have to put dalvik onto a memory stick then install it through there somehow? I mean, the flashes are successful, but it just reboots into recovery mode. . .

Usually, people just wipe the Dalvik cache from recovery. Do you have a custom recovery installed, or are you on stock recovery? And what is this Dalvik thing you downloaded? Is it a script?

JonahGrimm

Jul 20, 2013
Usually, people just wipe the Dalvik cache from recovery. Do you have a custom recovery installed, or are you on stock recovery? And what is this Dalvik thing you downloaded? Is it a script?

Here's what happens when I turn my device on.

I turn my device on and it displays the Sumsung S2 logo (because I flashed a kernel that changed it)

It automatically boots into recovery mode and these things are displayed.

"Android system recovery <3e>"

"Enter: OK key. Select: Vol up / Vol dow.
"apply update from sdcard"
"wipe data/factory reset"
"wipe cache partition"

I've tried selecting every option, still nothing. But no, I don't have a custom recovery installed. Maybe it's just different for me since it's a Samsung Galaxy 4.2. . .
As for the Dalvik things I downloaded, it just contained files to what appeared to be an app. Or something you could put onto your device if it were working.

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
OK, I read that you can get CWM recovery on your device by flashing a ROM or insecure kernel with support for it. You can definitely clear the Dalvik cache from there. Alternatively, there are scripts which will wipe the Dalvik, when you flash it in recovery. You might be able to do that through "Apply update from sdcard."

Having said all this, I can't even be sure that wiping the Dalvik cache will solve your problem. Can you communicate with a computer via adb? You could also try getting a logcat, then looking for errors to see what's stopping your device from booting properly.

coreys

Jun 18, 2010
Help with Hyperdrive rom

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me with info on how to change ringtone and notification sound on Hyperdrive ROM. When I go to change either of the two it takes me to a file manager instead of letting me pick the sound i would like. Any help would be appreciated.

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012
Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me with info on how to change ringtone and notification sound on Hyperdrive ROM. When I go to change either of the two it takes me to a file manager instead of letting me pick the sound i would like. Any help would be appreciated.
You might have it set as the default app for that action. Go the the file manager's App info (Settings -> Application manager -> <file manager> -> Clear defaults. Hopefully, that will allow you to change your tones.

Reactions: coreys

jacknicholson

Jun 23, 2013
Free space within the internal/external storage

Is it okay to entirely fill up either the "internal SD" or external SD card, or is it recommended to leave a certain percentage free for optimum performance? If either the internal or external storage space (not the data or system partitions, of course) are nearly 100% full, should I expect to experience slowdowns and/or risk malfunction, data corruption, etc? Thanks.

flonker

Nov 3, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I apologize this is not my phone and I'm on the mobile app so...

I just need to know what to change the policy file to so that she is no longer getting alerted to update.

Ldinga

Feb 10, 2013
Java emulator??

Can anyone plizz suggest a working java emulator for my Micromax a89 running android 4.0.4
I am new to android and missing my java local apps so much

JonahGrimm

Jul 20, 2013
OK, I read that you can get CWM recovery on your device by flashing a ROM or insecure kernel with support for it. You can definitely clear the Dalvik cache from there. Alternatively, there are scripts which will wipe the Dalvik, when you flash it in recovery. You might be able to do that through "Apply update from sdcard."

Having said all this, I can't even be sure that wiping the Dalvik cache will solve your problem. Can you communicate with a computer via adb? You could also try getting a logcat, then looking for errors to see what's stopping your device from booting properly.

Awesome. So it looks like I was able to successfully flash a CMW rom and get into a CMW recovery mode. But once again I'm stuck here. I cleared both caches and it seems to just love the recovery menu. So from here, what are my options?

MeNext

Jul 21, 2013
Indore
menext.org
Need Help

Hi can you tell me any tread which will help me to make three options in my power menu i.e shutdown,restart,restart recovery i am a slight newbie

husainh

Jul 21, 2013
how to make a ftp server with 3g?

so making an ftp is simple but i want to do it over 3g not wifi.. so the android server will be using 3g but the clients can use wifi.. is this possible. btw im not an expert in ftp servers and such

joaoandrade1

Jul 21, 2013
xperia go unknown icon

fc7fe6696fc4b6efaa05aa52fc7c3a0c.png can some1 pls tell me what does it mean the 1st white icon on status bar? thanks. i havent installed any app to get that icon. simply got there today

Akshaynj

Jul 21, 2013
Bluetooth_Admin error for an android App

Hi....
I don't have much knowledge about programming,but I am trying to connect Arduino and Android via bluetooth..
I have found an appropriate App on the web which I tried using it.
but I get an Runtime error saying:

"Need BLUETOOTH_ADMIN permission:Neither user 10077 nor current process has android.permission.BLUETOOTH_ADMIN."

Is there any way I could solve this problem.
I do have source Files for that App

Please help. :(

Top Liked Posts