FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

moved from win6.5 to android, got S-OFF, what next?

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By heidewitzgar, Member on 15th May 2011, 07:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
hey everyone,
I have been on this forum many years but now I have to restart again: I switched to the Desire S, over from good ol' windows.. :P

I am confused by all the posts and just need a quick answer so I can start contributing here. I bought a Hong Kong Desire S in Beijing, it is S-OFF (I checked) and has some ROM on it which contains a lot of preinstalled stuff. Now I would like to switch to a pure, clean stock ROM.

Question 1: is there a clean, official ROM I can flash on the phone which will be updated over the air by Google/HTC legally, or will I need to do the update (as soon as there is a new Android version) from now on myself?

Question 2: IF I flash, do I need to care which ROM I use or can I flash in there whatever I want? Like, try a Europe ROM first, then a US ROM and maybe an Asian one afterwards? Will they all work, despite my phone being from Hong Kong?

Question 3: will the phone keep being S-OFF even after flashing?

I am aware that there are all the answers out there somewhere if I search long enough, but I would really appreciate if you could be so nice once and give me short answer here

thanks a lot!!

henrik

15th May 2011, 07:33 AM |#2  
Flag Gloucester
Thanks Meter: 11

More
If you take a look in the thread a little way down, there is a selection of shipped tons 'shipped desire s rom collection', currently they are mostly various carrier based European, there is a clean stock rom also, which I'm running until I get s-off. However there are a couple threads with customised roms one from MarylandCookie and one from LBC, that may be a little more interesting. The custom roms won't change s-off, but I am unsure whether the stock roms will....

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App
15th May 2011, 07:38 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Thanks Meter: 2,382

More
Once you are S-off flashing roms does not take you back to S-on, in fact I don't think its possible to go back.

Its also now possible for you to become root.

I'd be more tempted by the custom roms in this thread than by a stock rom.

15th May 2011, 07:52 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
haha,
you guys are good, thanks a lot! "sent from my desire S", guess I need to install the xda dev app too asap :P

ok, then as a last question: I also would tend to install a custom ROM, however, isn't it true that after flashing such a ROM I cannot use the Marketplace app AND also will not receive official OTA updates?

On the other hand, if I install the Europe Stock ROM, I keep both these opportunities right? meaning, the stock rom will be updated regularly and I can buy apps on the app market?
15th May 2011, 08:13 AM |#5  
Flag Gloucester
Thanks Meter: 11

More
You'd be best off to try both and see what you find to your liking
15th May 2011, 08:52 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
makes sense.

will download both and first try the newest MOD rom.. Hope I only have to connect it to the PC and run the exe.

Thanks both of you for your help!

cheers!
15th May 2011, 10:17 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidewitzgar

haha,

ok, then as a last question: I also would tend to install a custom ROM, however, isn't it true that after flashing such a ROM I cannot use the Marketplace app AND also will not receive official OTA updates?

On the other hand, if I install the Europe Stock ROM, I keep both these opportunities right? meaning, the stock rom will be updated regularly and I can buy apps on the app market?

Custom: no problems with market - no ota updates (don't even try it - will mess your system if forced - but normaly will abort)

With EuropeStock you will be able to update without problems - but you will not have the nice sense3.0 lockscreen.

For both: root with "gingerbreak"

Than with clockworkmodrecovery (ROMmanager from market) you can do backups of the ROMs and could try both. BUT: BEFORE you install the OTA-update you have to switch to stock-recovery.

"good old win": I was on win-moblie for years - you will not miss it..

hth
The Following User Says Thank You to dont know For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dont know Ad-Free
15th May 2011, 03:43 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
I rooted my phone with gingerbreak successfully, but the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" process stops after 5-10min, saying it was unsuccessful.. Is there another way to flash the custom rom, or better: is there something I forgot? do I need to change a setting somewhere? format the sd card?
16th May 2011, 07:55 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Got it!!

Thanks everyone for your support!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)