[Guide] partition and link2sd [pictures included for each step]

Search This thread

dorqus

Sep 2, 2010
NY
Your guide was awesome - thank you! (I gave you a thanks on page 1)
I have an 8gb microsd card in an Azpen A727 tablet which I split into two partitions - 1st is a 6gb FAT32, and the 2nd is a 1.5gb (or the remainder) in ext4.
I installed Links2sd, created the scripts, and rebooted, and everything looks to be OK, but when I try and install something (i.e. Dragon City for my kids) it says "Insufficient space" - I'm no stranger to Android or Linux, but can't figure out why it's not working as designed.
Thanks...
Here are the filesystem mounts:
Code:
6GB FAT32:
/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/extsd/179_1 type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1023,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=continue)
1GB EXT4:
/dev/block/vold/179:2 on /data/sdext2 type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

gerope

Aug 24, 2012
Same issue here.

I created a secondary (primary) ext4 platform on my sd card and installed Link2SD. On launch it asked me for the partition system (I checked ext4) and created the mount script.

Now after reboot, what am I expected to see?

My internal partitions are still full:

/data: 144 out of 178 used
/system: 193 out of 206 used

Consequently, I still cannot install or update most of the apps.

What to do?

Any advice is appreciated!

dorqus

Sep 2, 2010
NY
Same issue here.

I created a secondary (primary) ext4 platform on my sd card and installed Link2SD. On launch it asked me for the partition system (I checked ext4) and created the mount script.

Now after reboot, what am I expected to see?

My internal partitions are still full:

/data: 144 out of 178 used
/system: 193 out of 206 used

Consequently, I still cannot install or update most of the apps.

What to do?

Any advice is appreciated!

It's a step I missed as well - you need to move existing apps to the phone, then create links to them. Or alternatively, remove all your apps and download them from scratch and link2sd will "Do the right thing" and create the proper links. I was able to move some apps, install a few more, but still have issues downloading some apps as I don't have enough free space. I guess that's what I get for buying a $20 tablet and expecting it to be usable :(

Reactions: gerope

gerope

Aug 24, 2012
@dorqus

Helpful tip, thank you!

I went for the Plus version of Link2SD which also allows me to link data files.

Furthermore, I moved even system apps such as the Play Services and the Play Store.

Now I have sufficient place to install most of the apps, which are then automatically linked to the sdcard by Link2SD.

I also tried the initext method which, however, did not work for me on CM 10.1.

I will stick to this approach now!

TheMatrix2000

Jun 28, 2008
Herzogenrath
Hello,

I am using link2sd for quit some time on Andoid 4.1.2. But since some weeks i switched to 4.4.4 from Packman cm11 base.
I can't update linked apps from playstore anymore-error. See screenshot. After the update the app is deleted. If i try to reinstall the app from Google Play i get the same error.
I have to use Titanium Backup or sdmaid to delete old app leftovers. Then finally i can reinstall the app from playstore.

Has anyone the same problem?

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsrdmg0i9l81ucf/Log-Link2sd.txt?dl=0

Attachments

• 1412810302606.jpg
    1412810302606.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

raulfdocastro

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks

Thanks sanny5 you're guide was very illustrative, I'm going to try the ext4 partition in the poor internal memory of the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Maybe is easier make the partition with CWM in an reboot recovery, at least, you only need your phone. :cyclops:

Cheers to everyone. :good:

Hello,

I am using link2sd for quit some time on Andoid 4.1.2. But since some weeks i switched to 4.4.4 from Packman cm11 base.
I can't update linked apps from playstore anymore-error. See screenshot. After the update the app is deleted. If i try to reinstall the app from Google Play i get the same error.
I have to use Titanium Backup or sdmaid to delete old app leftovers. Then finally i can reinstall the app from playstore.

Has anyone the same problem?

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsrdmg0i9l81ucf/Log-Link2sd.txt?dl=0

You can try to remove links created with link2sd, then update the app, then create links again.

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Tapatalk

stuwemaina

Mar 21, 2014
cannot create ext4 on sd

Hello,

I use the MiniTool Partition Wizard on a 32GB and follow all steps as described. I have previously done this a number of time successfully.
I bought a new SD card which works fine. The problem is when I partition my card to 24GB (FAT32) + 4.5GB (ext4) and 1.5GB (Linux Swap) the partition wizard does it's job the then show the ext4 partition as "Other".
I have tried numerous time formatting it and cannot get it to display it as intended. Every time I choose ext4, after the format it displays it either as "Other" or "Linux Swap".
Any help would be appreciated.

sexipsik

Dec 2, 2013
Cann't install anything

Hey there,
I have an issue - I have 8gb class 10 msdhc, fat32/ext4 (part 1/part2). I have created a script in phone via Link2Sd, it rebooted, everything seemed just fine, but since this moment when I try to open total comander or install app from GP, the app crashes. And next reboot of phone stucks in boot loap. What do you suggest?

Reactions: Mohamedmohsen

MyAnand13

Apr 11, 2014
Well im happy i was of help :D

.................I Walk In Shadows...!..................

I have samsung galaxy mini GT-s5570. I have used Link2sd. I have 8gb memory card and allow 1gb for ext4 partition. When sometimes I flashed new rom and use Link2sd to link my applications , after linking all applications it shows free internal storage of 115 mb from 178 mb and EXT4 partition of sd card shows around 465mb out of 1gb. But due to problem I flashed same rom again and installed same number of same applications as previous and links all with SD card. Link2sd shows free space of only 65mb out of 178mb and EXT4 partition shows the only 243 mb filled out of 1gb. After that I tried with changing second partition file system , also format rom about 2-3 times., but the result is same as in 2nd case. What is the problem? because from My 1gb 2nd partition around 750 mb is free and now my internal storage is full. So can't install more app. Can anybody solve it?

Hey there,
I have an issue - I have 8gb class 10 msdhc, fat32/ext4 (part 1/part2). I have created a script in phone via Link2Sd, it rebooted, everything seemed just fine, but since this moment when I try to open total comander or install app from GP, the app crashes. And next reboot of phone stucks in boot loap. What do you suggest?

In link2sd settings did you select install location to Automatic ?

Hedaja

Sep 22, 2014
Very Slow

Hello
I'm facing a lot of problems atm. I used Link2SD for a long time but a for a while now my Smartphone (Galaxcy Ace CM 11 RC12 ) gets really slow and apps often crash. I got the feeling that this isn't a problem of the rom but of Link2SD. Because when I tried it with freshly flashed rom its smooth like butter. It's definitely no problem with r/w speed of my memory card because my class 10 card is around 5 times faster than internal memory. I have completely linked around 480 MB apps to my SD card.
I thought the app crashes might be because of low ram but, when I look at the ram stats I see no problem. Is there some app or other possibility to determine why the phone is so slow?

Jymsogr

May 15, 2014
Hey nothing happened... all my apps still on phone memory and link2sd just transfers them to sd card as previously...
Using neo v btw

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

K0media

Nov 29, 2014
Brasília - DF (Brazil)
Xperia M problem.

After doing all of this properly, it gets stuck at the script installation part. It installs successfully then reboots the phone suddenly and now a bootloop occurs until I remove the SD Card. FFS, is there a workaround for this?

Thanks

compukill

Feb 1, 2015
application size problem

Hi I was wondering if any of you fine folks could answer this for me. I have the galaxy tab 4 Which is rooted. I have a 32 gb sd card card which I have formated to have fat32 and ext4 partiton. I have not had a problem with linking apps however I do have a problem with the size of the apps. For example I had an app that was showing as 1.25 gb in the stock application manager however in link2sd the size is only showing about 35 mb. It does allow me to link it but since it only shows as 35 mb in link2sd im only saving 35 mb of space.

Any advice

exsheeple

Dec 28, 2014
FEMA region 5
This may be a stupid question: do I drag my data onto the larger portion on the newly partitioned SD card?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide with pics 4 newbies]

Hello heros (and a 3or4 heroines I've seen around here :p)

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners :))

INTRODUCTION
    Wat is linking to SD??
    ------> as the name says linking apps to SD is moving applications and their belonging resources to a special partition in SD card and creating a link to them for easy access.
    Y link to SD???
    ------> I will tell it in short...
    Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y

Software's needed
    1.mini partition tool (for PC ie windows)
    2.link2sd (for mobile ie android)

PROCEDURE
    pleez following the procedure carefully and exactly to avoid any inconvenience

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it in the link above... download it and install it on PC.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.(not via USB cable)

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

5. Right click and choose Delete.
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554012597.jpg

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

7. Select “Create as: PRIMARY”
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554042434.jpg

8. Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition (I suggest ext2 cause it works on all roms and kernels). This is where your apps will go. I suggest a value of 512Mb would be big enough but its ur choice...

9. Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554071738.jpg

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

11. Put back your SD card to your phone and switch it on.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.uploadfromtaptalk1360554096140.jpg

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select one..
    (Give preference in this order ext4>ext3>ext2>fat32/16
    Not all may be compatible with ur kernel so try each one in the order of preference and use the highest ranking one that works... ext4 is compatible with my kernel so I use that...)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554109628.jpg

14. It will say mount script created. Reboot your phone now.

15. Open link2sd and if the message doesn’t show up, you succeded.

16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select “move to phone” then after moving select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554156230.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360554168795.jpg

18. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext2 partition.
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554182957.jpg

19. Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads, forums, blogs etc... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ...

Thank u :)

3ndSIPB.png

=========HOLO-UBUNTU========theme
    Great...... That worked

You are great dear.....

It worked perfectly.....

Had some issues during partitioning but they were specific to the PC operating system.

Thank you so much and yes....... I did hit the Thanks button;)

[Guide with pics 4 noobs]

Hello heros (and a 3or4 heroines I've seen around here :p)

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners )

INTRODUCTION
    Wat is linking to SD??
    ------> as the name says linking apps to SD is moving applications and their belonging resources to a special partition in SD card and creating a link to them for easy access.
    Y link to SD???
    ------> I will tell it in short...
    Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y,galaxy mini,galaxy ace,HTC wildfire,galaxy fit, galaxy Geo etc etc

Software's needed
    1.mini partition tool (for PC ie windows)
    2.link2sd (for mobile ie android)

PROCEDURE
    pleez following the procedure carefully and exactly to avoid any inconvenience

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it in the link above... download it and install it on PC.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.(not via USB cable)

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

5. Right click and choose Delete.
    View attachment 1719319

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

7. Select “Create as: PRIMARY”
    View attachment 1719321

8. Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition (I suggest ext2 cause it works on all roms and kernels). This is where your apps will go. I suggest a value of 512Mb would be big enough but its ur choice...

9. Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)
    View attachment 1719323

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

11. Put back your SD card to your phone and switch it on.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.View attachment 1719324

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select ext2.
    View attachment 1719329

14. It will say mount script created. Reboot your phone now.

15. Open link2sd and if the message doesn’t show up, you succeded.

16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select “move to phone” then after moving select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)
    View attachment 1719331View attachment 1719332

18. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext2 partition.
    View attachment 1719333

19. Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads or in ur freaking blogs... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ... thank u .
    And don't forget to hit thanks (only if this helped of course )
    Have a good day

==============================
    thoughtfully posted by S A N N Y 5...:cool:
    I used this a few months ago to speed up my friend's Samsung Next Turbo.

You don't need to delete your FAT32 partition, you can just shrink it. Then use the empty space for the ext partition.
    Easiest way of getting this to run quickly ,WITHOUT much hassle

1 root your phone
    install magldr
    install clock work mod recovery
    reboot phone into bootloader hold down power button
    use volume control to go down menu
    select ad recovery
    then in clockwork mod go down to advanced
    go down to partion sd
    select the size if 32gb sd select 4096 etc
    then select swap size 0 or 256
    then wait then select reboot

then go to app store download
    link2sd
    run it and it will self configure itself if not select ext2 from the menu

takes about 2 mins if you got maglgr already installed on your device
    I made it work allready but watching another tutorial...sorry to say but yours its not so complete.I haved to set active that partition and for those who have CM7 almost all the time its working only with ext4.

Its using link to SD....
    U need not set active etc it may specific to ur device or Tom..
    Regarding extension type..
    I will update the guide....

Added- guide updated :)

.................I Walk In Shadows...!..................