Battery Life

Search This thread

Phantomhive

Jan 11, 2013
Am I the only person who notices that all these battery save kernels aren't working for them. I flashed CM and I have been getting amazing battery life (13+ hours) with moderate usage, but with leankernel for example, I only get 9 hours max and my phone heats up a lot.

Reactions: jblparisi

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
Am I the only person who notices that all these battery save kernels aren't working for them. I flashed CM and I have been getting amazing battery life (13+ hours) with moderate usage, but with leankernel for example, I only get 9 hours max and my phone heats up a lot.

Not working for "them"? Or for you? Of course they do not work for everyone. They also may work well for one ROM but poorly on another.

Phantomhive

Jan 11, 2013
Well I was curious how kernels worked for others. Sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

G4L4><y

Aug 12, 2011
That greenify app works pretty well for me...
Now that is post 10... can I post in developers now?!?

Jep56

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis, MO

No two phones work the same. I've had my S3 for about 2 weeks and have run Stock-rooted, and e few custom roms. I have 4 email accounts-pushed, 10 screen widgets, and always texting, web surfing, etc. I'm currently at 14 hours with 49% remaining. When I work in spreadsheets, and use a a reader, (usually 2 hours each) I still get 14-16 hours, no matter what rom/kernel I've been running

Phantomhive

Jan 11, 2013
No two phones work the same. I've had my S3 for about 2 weeks and have run Stock-rooted, and e few custom roms. I have 4 email accounts-pushed, 10 screen widgets, and always texting, web surfing, etc. I'm currently at 14 hours with 49% remaining. When I work in spreadsheets, and use a a reader, (usually 2 hours each) I still get 14-16 hours, no matter what rom/kernel I've been running

I guess mine is just a piece of crap :/

aybarrap1

Mar 21, 2010
Guantanamo Bay
Moto X Style (Pure)
Moto X4
I guess mine is just a piece of crap :/

You just need to find the ROM and kernel combo that works well with your phone. I have tried ROMs/kernel combos that some get excellent battery life from but mine is horrible and vice versa. Keep testing as it is a trial and error type thing. Also your kernel settings can make huge differences. What works for one may not work well with your phone. Different settings on the same kernel may net you excellent results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

vinadoros

Jul 3, 2013
I have noticed battery life tends to vary wildly depending on ROMs and even people. I guess I don't use my phone all day long, but on a TouchWIZ 4.1 ROM, the app "Battery Left" (from Play Store, its free) reports that I can get up to 46 hours on a full charge, based on my typical usage patterns (and if I use Greenify). On the other hand, I have used an AOSP 4.2.2 ROM in the past (such as LiquidSmooth), and Battery Left will tell me, after a few days, that I will get about 25 hours on a full charge (again, with Greenify). I have to do more testing, but there is definitely some difference between ROMs and battery life...

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
I am using one of the unofficial CM11 ports that is supported nightly and have been getting terrible battery life. I hate to ask the question which is the "best", but what would be a good kernel to flash?

I do not do much heavy gaming either. In fact, I do not do any gaming. Just casual browsing.

n_alvarez2007

Oct 31, 2012
www.youtube.com
I am using one of the unofficial CM11 ports that is supported nightly and have been getting terrible battery life. I hate to ask the question which is the "best", but what would be a good kernel to flash?

I do not do much heavy gaming either. In fact, I do not do any gaming. Just casual browsing.

Well before I suggest any kind of "good kernel to flash" I want to make note of something. If you're running a nightly of an unsupported version of CM11 then don't expect great battery life. This has little to do with what you're doing on the phone but the purpose of nightly's is to have users report bugs. Many of these bugs are the kind that can drain battery rather quickly. So the first thing I'd do is find a stable AOSP rom to run on before thinking about kernels.

That being said, a kernel universally accepted as "good" is KT747 by Koonsez

Reactions: codemonkey98

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Well before I suggest any kind of "good kernel to flash" I want to make note of something. If you're running a nightly of an unsupported version of CM11 then don't expect great battery life. This has little to do with what you're doing on the phone but the purpose of nightly's is to have users report bugs. Many of these bugs are the kind that can drain battery rather quickly. So the first thing I'd do is find a stable AOSP rom to run on before thinking about kernels.

That being said, a kernel universally accepted as "good" is KT747 by Koonsez

Thanks for the reply bud. I personally like supporting the nightly versions of ROMs but I wasn't thinking the reporting that I do is causing that much of a battery drain.

I may consider today to go to a stable AOSP ROM that isn't nightly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

esotericrj

Sep 26, 2010
Toronto
I have been flashing ROMs now for the past 4 years. I have never really got into the nitty gritty of anything specific but probably best I do. One question I had in regards to all these ROMs is, do they not come with their own Kernel which I would have assumed is the best recommended for the given ROM. When i see battery life of 14+hrs with room to go, I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you for any info in advance.

ozzlemus

Sep 16, 2013
poor battery life

i have CM 10.2 4.3.1 in my SIII and all i can get is 6 hours of battery life. how i can fix this?¿ also my phone gets hot vey quick sometimes without use it.

Greetings from Venezuela

Top Liked Posts