[Q] Custom ROM: Stuck at Sony Logo Screen

Search This thread

naishe

Feb 21, 2014
naishe.in
I am new to Android mod. I was trying to install CyanogenMod for Sony LWW from here: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=coconut&type=stable

I installed CWM Recovery, and took a backup that gave me: cache.yaffs2.img data.yaffs2.img nandroid.md5 system.yaffs2.img
I followed the following steps:

0. Downloaded the ROM and placed it on your SD Card.
1. Booted into CWM Recovery
2. Wiped Cache, Wiped Data and went to "Mounts and Storage", and formatted "/system". Also, went to "Advanced", and wiped "Davlik-Cache"
3. Went to Install zip from SD.
4. Selected the Downloaded ROM zip file.

The installer crashed at assertion:

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "WT19a" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "WT19a" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "WT19i" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "WT19i" || 
       getprop("ro.product.device") == "coconut" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "coconut");

So, I had to reboot. When I rebooted... it was stuck at welcome screen.

I tried to go to CWM Recovery by holding volume-down key at boot. Nothing happened. Removed/replaced battery, tried again nothing happened.

So, I decided to follow "turning brick into smartphone" article here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1568792
I installed FlashTool on Ubuntu 13.10 as described here: http://duopetalflower.blogspot.in/2012/08/flashtool-in-ubuntu-linux.html
But Flashtool does not detect the device.

Can someone guide me how to fix this?

---
Edit:

When I tried to start in flashmode. Replaced battery, held the volume down key, and inserted USB jack. FlashTool showed "device connected", but then a few seconds later. It shows device disconnected and the phone goes back to welcome screen.

Last edited:

naishe

Feb 21, 2014
naishe.in
After hours of attempts, I am able to load stock rom that someone shared on this forum (.ftf). FlashTool was throwing checksum error for the file. Finally, just for the heck of it, tried using FlashTool in Windows instead of Ubuntu. It worked. Time to try CyanogenMod again. :)

The worst part, it felt like it does not charge battery without a working ROM. The biggest worry was to not to repeat experiments to avoid a situation where I have more tries to attempt but I am stuck with a dead battery. When ROM came up, the battery was 25% down from 100% 21hrs ago when I started modifying.

Couple of things to note:

1. When using FlashTool use it on Windows. On Linux/Ubuntu it seems buggy.
2. CyanogenMod on the official website threw an "assertion error", so, not sure that shall be tried or not.
3. The stock ROM in the "First Aid" thread mentioned in the OP works nicely.

Hope this helps someone who uses Linux as its primary OS.

Last edited:

karandpr

Senior Mod | DC Lead | MC
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
There are lot of errors in how you installed ROM .

For starters it looks like you have NOT unlocked the bootloader.

You have used the Faux Soft recovery either from pvyparts or from some other tool .

Secondly you have formated /system from mounts and storage which essentially is not recommended for CM ROMs installation.
The standard updater script checks build and device version from earlier installed ROMs.The assert errors were due to the formating of .system.

Thirdly ,since you seem to have installed soft recovery ,the recovery was formatted when you formatted /system .Now the recovery will not be available unless you flashed a Locked Bootloader ROM or manually flashed recovery . Also since you formatted system ,the charging instructions available also got removed which resulted in no off-line charging.

Lastly CyanogenMod WONT work on locked bootloaders .You need to flash custom kernel and for that you need to unlock bootloader .Even if you had successfully installed ROM ,it would have resulted in a same situation + no recovery .

Last edited:

naishe

Feb 21, 2014
naishe.in

Right. Forgot the golden rule of RTFM :)
I took instruction from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1748576 but instead of using the ROM provided in that thread. I used official CM zip.

I did not have bootloader unlocked.
I used X-parts from pvyparts to install CWM Recovery.
I formatted "/system" which seems to be an instruction in the thread I mention above.

The standard updater script checks build and device version from earlier installed ROMs.The assert errors were due to the formating of .system.

This is what killed the installation. Though I commented the assertion in the script afterwards. It was too late. Because recovery was gone.

Fortunately, I got .ftf of stock OS, but FlashTool won't work on Ubuntu and provided ambiguous error. Finally, FlashTool worked on Windows, and I could get phone working.

I then followed the instruction on official CyanogenMod wiki ( http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_coconut ) and did exactly what you said. It worked. I have working CyanogenMod 9 on LWW and loving it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Also, how can I lock/close this thread?

mihahn

May 26, 2012

There's no need to close it, as other guys with the same problem will be able to post here too to ask for help ;)

If you have any of your threads that you want to be closed/moved or any other problems, use the orange triangle in the right corner of your post to report a thread and get moderator's attention :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.4

Reactions: naishe

Brambell4

Aug 16, 2014
There's no need to close it, as other guys with the same problem will be able to post here too to ask for help ;)

If you have any of your threads that you want to be closed/moved or any other problems, use the orange triangle in the right corner of your post to report a thread and get moderator's attention :)

I just had the same problem installing Viper V8 (bootlocker unlocked, etc etc)...
I'll try tomorrow with flashtool, but... How have You used it? It ask me to press Back button and reconnect device, but on Live With Walkman there's no Back Button...

Thanks

bejunk

May 9, 2013
Berlin
I just had the same problem installing Viper V8 (bootlocker unlocked, etc etc)...
I'll try tomorrow with flashtool, but... How have You used it? It ask me to press Back button and reconnect device, but on Live With Walkman there's no Back Button...

Thanks

you get this weird problem (1st post) (cannot install rom) if you format /system. normally never do it. theres NO NEED. (ONLY IF ROM THREAD SAYS DO IT, THEN DO.) it will be formatted automaticly by zip.

for your question its easy bro. flashtool showas a picture of x10 mini. it wants to connect your phone in flash mode (green led)
to do so, just connect (powered off!!!!!) phone to usb while holding voulume down (-) key.:)

Brambell4

Aug 16, 2014
you get this weird problem (1st post) (cannot install rom) if you format /system. normally never do it. theres NO NEED. (ONLY IF ROM THREAD SAYS DO IT, THEN DO.) it will be formatted automaticly by zip.

for your question its easy bro. flashtool showas a picture of x10 mini. it wants to connect your phone in flash mode (green led)
to do so, just connect (powered off!!!!!) phone to usb while holding voulume down (-) key.:)

I have already tried, but probable I have Vol + button defective and it affects phone to enter in flash mode, I was only to enter in fastboot mode.

I'll try to fix button issue and then I'll try again with flashtool (and maybe with anoter ROM)

Meantime, thanks, now I know which is the right button and I don't need to try all again :D

bejunk

May 9, 2013
Berlin
I have already tried, but probable I have Vol + button defective and it affects phone to enter in flash mode, I was only to enter in fastboot mode.

I'll try to fix button issue and then I'll try again with flashtool (and maybe with anoter ROM)

Meantime, thanks, now I know which is the right button and I don't need to try all again :D

- this has nothing to do with rom. the method (pressing volume buttons to enter those modes) is deeply baked in into the phone NOTHING CAN CHANGE IT!!! also keep in mind that the phone needs to be powered OFF while you connecting! & maybe i confuse buttons. (sry i gave my mini to friend :() with the voulume buttons you can enter both modes. i think volume down is for flashmode & volume up is for fastboot mode.

blue led = fastboot mode = need to flash kernels
green led = flashmode = flashtool wants this to flash fw files.

good luck. & like said rom has nothing to do with those. it will never change on roms. only thing can be like u said, HW damage...:(

Brambell4

Aug 16, 2014
- this has nothing to do with rom. the method (pressing volume buttons to enter those modes) is deeply baked in into the phone NOTHING CAN CHANGE IT!!! also keep in mind that the phone needs to be powered OFF while you connecting! & maybe i confuse buttons. (sry i gave my mini to friend :() with the voulume buttons you can enter both modes. i think volume down is for flashmode & volume up is for fastboot mode.

blue led = fastboot mode = need to flash kernels
green led = flashmode = flashtool wants this to flash fw files.

good luck. & like said rom has nothing to do with those. it will never change on roms. only thing can be like u said, HW damage...:(

Sorry, maybe my english is bad, but I never sad that my issues are caused from ROM, Rom just freeze the phone after installation :)

Volume button issue is an hardware problem, it's brokken and it's like it's continuosly pressed.

Anyway, I was able to enter in flashmode with green led (just one time) and flashtool gave me this error :

19/047/2014 22:47:50 - INFO - Processing loader.sin
19/047/2014 22:47:50 - INFO - Checking header
19/047/2014 22:47:50 - ERROR - Processing of loader.sin finished with errors.
19/047/2014 22:47:50 - INFO - Ending flash session
19/047/2014 22:47:50 - ERROR -
19/047/2014 22:47:50 - ERROR - Error flashing. Aborted

I had above error on flashtool using 4 different Kernel (3 version of ICS and the TFT to unbrick all 2011 devices).
I can't also unbrick it with official sony updater because it recognize a non stock rom and I can't go in CWM to reinstall ROM.

There's another way to give life again to this smartphone??

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It doesn't seem like you have flashed the kernel needed on cm roms...

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using Tapatalk 2

For starters it looks like you have NOT unlocked the bootloader.

You have used the Faux Soft recovery either from pvyparts or from some other tool .

Secondly you have formated /system from mounts and storage which essentially is not recommended for CM ROMs installation.

Thirdly ,since you seem to have installed soft recovery ,the recovery was formatted when you formatted /system .Now the recovery will not be available unless you flashed a Locked Bootloader ROM or manually flashed recovery . Also since you formatted system ,the charging instructions available also got removed which resulted in no off-line charging.

Lastly CyanogenMod WONT work on locked bootloaders .You need to flash custom kernel and for that you need to unlock bootloader .Even if you had successfully installed ROM ,it would have resulted in a same situation + no recovery .