Kindle Fire 6.3 root

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Warning
Below be dragons, please gather armor and basic computing knowledge before preceding </ubergeek>. Working adb AND fastboot are requires, support for adb and fastboot are NOT offered by me. If you question is related to OSX or Linux I may be able to help. If it is windows related, don't get pissed when I tell you "I have no idea", it is the truth.

This is at your own risk! Do not blame me if something goes wrong!

For 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 please see BurritoRoot3 -> http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13027-rootbootloader-burritoroot3-kindle-fire-root-easy-root-edition/

While I have another root exploit, Amazon neglected pokey's far more beautiful one this update, and we have no good reason to blow another root for this update, so isntead here is a guide using fbmode.

Full credits for this goes to pokey9000 (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1414832). This guide requires you to have adb and fastboot working FOR THE KINDLE FIRE, on whatever os you are on.

Required files:
fbmode.zip - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1414832
twrp2 - http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/79
su - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/kindlefire/su
firefirefirefire http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369405
fastboot + adb for your OS of choice.

unzip fbmode.zip

adb push fbmode /data/local/fbmode
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/fbmode
adb shell /data/local/fbmode
adb reboot

Your kindle will "get stuck" on the kindle fire screen, but really it's just in fastboot mode.

fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader <name of firefirefire image here>
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery <name of recovery image here>

Your device will now boot into twrp recovery, and flash the firefirefire bootlaoder. When done it will prompt you to reboot. Upon reboot you will get stuck on the "yellow triangle" screen of firefire fire.

fastboot oem idme bootmode 5002
fastboot reboot

Once in recovery
adb shell mount system
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

Lets disable the root check before rebooting

adb shell mv /system/bin/check_rooted /system/bin/check_rooted.bak

adb shell idme bootmode 4000
adb reboot

Once booted into Android, install superuser
adb install Superuser.apk

Last edited:

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
Your fast! I was gonna suggest pokeys bootmodes before tossing an exploit but u went straight for it lol. Great work jcase

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Your fast! I was gonna suggest pokeys bootmodes before tossing an exploit but u went straight for it lol. Great work jcase

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

I flashed back to stock and updated. My "secondary" exploit still exists, but after getting root I decided to check and see if fbmode would still work, and it does.

So we should be good for the next one as well.

Reactions: smirkis

Laquox

Apr 2, 2011
Quick question you wonderful people,

Does this work with kinfauns 1.3 firefirefire?

It's basically just pokey9000's with some quirks and a different boot menu but figured I would ask the "big guys" first before I turn into one of those "I bricked my fire" folks. Cheers.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Wow, it didn't take them long to implement a root check at all. I guess more people are rooting their devices than had previously expected. They're selling them at a loss in the hopes that they will make it up in app store and prime sales. Woops. Oh well, I'm just glad I switched rooms when I did. It won't be long before they make them either unrootable (less likely) or stop selling them altogether (more likely).

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

BigFuzzyArchon

Dec 14, 2011
Wow, it didn't take them long to implement a root check at all. I guess more people are rooting their devices than had previously expected. They're selling them at a loss in the hopes that they will make it up in app store and prime sales. Woops. Oh well, I'm just glad I switched rooms when I did. It won't be long before they make them either unrootable (less likely) or stop selling them altogether (more likely).

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda premium

no, every update has "broke" root. amazon does this so that their updates wont brick rooted devices. they haven't done anything to prevent people from rooting.

raiderep

Feb 4, 2010
Eureka, CA
Worked fine, maybe I misread it or maybe you left out sticking superuser.apk in the adb/fastboot folder? Anywhoo I got root on 6.3 with this method, thanks :D

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
no, every update has "broke" root. amazon does this so that their updates wont brick rooted devices. they haven't done anything to prevent people from rooting.

Actually, this is the first time they have implemented something like this, its a separate service that checks for root, they run it at boot.

daggy1985

Feb 7, 2011
Perhaps a stupid question, but where do I get the "Superuser.apk" used at the end of the instructions under 'adb install Superuser.apk'? Because It wasn't one of the files listed under needed files section. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Warning
    Below be dragons, please gather armor and basic computing knowledge before preceding </ubergeek>. Working adb AND fastboot are requires, support for adb and fastboot are NOT offered by me. If you question is related to OSX or Linux I may be able to help. If it is windows related, don't get pissed when I tell you "I have no idea", it is the truth.

This is at your own risk! Do not blame me if something goes wrong!

For 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 please see BurritoRoot3 -> http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13027-rootbootloader-burritoroot3-kindle-fire-root-easy-root-edition/

While I have another root exploit, Amazon neglected pokey's far more beautiful one this update, and we have no good reason to blow another root for this update, so isntead here is a guide using fbmode.

Full credits for this goes to pokey9000 (see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1414832). This guide requires you to have adb and fastboot working FOR THE KINDLE FIRE, on whatever os you are on.

Required files:
    fbmode.zip - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1414832
    twrp2 - http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/79
    su - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/kindlefire/su
    firefirefirefire http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369405
    fastboot + adb for your OS of choice.

unzip fbmode.zip

adb push fbmode /data/local/fbmode
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/fbmode
    adb shell /data/local/fbmode
    adb reboot

Your kindle will "get stuck" on the kindle fire screen, but really it's just in fastboot mode.

fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader <name of firefirefire image here>
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery <name of recovery image here>

Your device will now boot into twrp recovery, and flash the firefirefire bootlaoder. When done it will prompt you to reboot. Upon reboot you will get stuck on the "yellow triangle" screen of firefire fire.

fastboot oem idme bootmode 5002
    fastboot reboot

Once in recovery
    adb shell mount system
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

Lets disable the root check before rebooting

adb shell mv /system/bin/check_rooted /system/bin/check_rooted.bak

adb shell idme bootmode 4000
    adb reboot

Once booted into Android, install superuser
    adb install Superuser.apk
    As has been said many times in this thread: IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH COMMAND LINES, KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND ADB/FASTBOOT DO NOT USE THIS METHOD!

You have a good chance of seriously breaking your kindle if you do not know what you are doing or cannot follow/understand the directions.

This is not an attempt to belittle you or make you feel inferior. However, we know this method is difficult and there are a lot of things that can go wrong. If your kindle was updated to 6.3 and you are not completely comfortable with the initial instructions: PLEASE WAIT. This is a very skilled community and eventually a wrapper/one click/utility will be released that will get you root back. In the mean time have a spot of tea and read a few books on your kindle. It won't take too long and your kindle will thank you in the long run.

To jcase: Thanks again for your work.
    I think I don't have the right drivers installed but for the life of me I don't know how to get the right ones installed. I'm still stuck on the KF logo and basically all I'm getting is the "error: device not found" or "waiting for device" messages. The KF only shows up as an Android Phone and not an Other Device. Any ideas?

I attached an image of how it is displayed.

**EDIT**
    I've checked my C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder and I do have the following under [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]:
    ;Kindle Fire
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006&MI_01

Seeing 1949:0006 means you're in Android or recovery.

The 18d1:0100 is fastboot mode in FFF. You shouldn't ever have to create an .ini entry or new driver for this as long as you have the ADB drivers installed. This is one of the natively supported ADB VIDs. You shouldn't even have to pass an ID to FFF when you're using fastboot, though using -i 0x1949 with FFF works because it falls back to 18d1.
    I dont mean to repeat, but I just got my GF a kindle fire, it came in about 3 hours ago and I got to hacking immediately.

This manual root method is outdated, the TWP link is to 2.1 and does NOT auto-update FFF. If you use this method, and rename to TWP.img correctly, you will get TWP but upon reboot as stated you'll enter a loop at the "Kindle Fire" screen. If you get a "unknown device" you need to have the drivers pre-installed, have th kindle already connected to the PC and then reboot the Kindle. If you boot the Kindle while its already connected to the PC it SHOULD recognize in the drivers as a kindle, how ever if you disconnect the USB and then reconnect it it will show "device uknown." My Fix was:

-power down kindle, attach to USB (it will boot when you plug in, power down and reboot)
    -Your PC will attempt to install drivers (and should recognize it as a kindle) but fail
    -open device manager, right click>properties>drivers>uninstall (and click the check box to "delete driver etc)
    -power down
    -download KFU .9.5 and run >install_drivers
    -power up, device manager, right-click>properties>drivers>update drivers>choose driver>manually choose a driver from a list/have disk and navigate to the KFU.9.5 drivers>kindle folder and choose android_winusb
    -install the driver and it should finish reading as android adb etc.
    -KFU .9.5 bootmenu> option 3 (recovery)
    -the device should respond almost immediately and factory reset to stock
    -when booted back to the OS, run KFU FFF, KFU root and SU, KFU (custom recovery of your choice)

It took me god damn 3 hours to get it right, I thought I bricked it as I couldnt get a CMD ADB bridge to manually find the kindle, KFU pushed through the fastboot commands even though an active ADB wasnt running. good luck!
    I knew the masses would fall victims of learning lol.

u need to know how to use adb and fastboot. without that knowledge you wont even understand the directions.

its really simple, and a lot of devices require adb and fastboot nowadays anyway. I highly suggest reading about both, or u will feel lost the whole way.

I'm working on a slightly different method, but it still requires adb and fastboot. but instead of pushing all the files, it hotboots cwm from fbmode and than u just flash a zip to install root/recovery/bootloader, or just root. the thing I like about hotbooting cwm is it properly sets reboot wrappers, so noone can get stuck after the twrp/fff install. that will always be an issue, as long as people continue to use that installer.

thanks for getting this up jcase, ill try to have my cwm method up this weekend.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium