Having problem ? Look here first

Search This thread

scooter1556

Feb 13, 2008
Bristol
Awesome job on this l1q1d, i finally got around to getting the git set up on my computer yesterday so in can modify and compile so i'll try and get coding when i have some free time :) Thanks for all your efforts.

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
I have some memory issues with both 3-10-2010 and 4-10-2010 kernels. The memory usage is really high and my launcher(launcher pro) keeps getting closed/restarted all the time even without opening any other apps.

Last edited:

scooter1556

Feb 13, 2008
Bristol
Hey L1q1d, this isn't by any means vital but i find it annoying and don't know if any other kaiser users have found this. If i turn the phone on and don't unlock it before pressing the power button again (i.e. just to check the time), there is a relatively long delay before the screen turns off. If i unlock the phone and then press the power button it turns off instantly. I have attached the logcat from when the phone is turned on and then turned off, i have also indicated where it locks before turning off the screen. I'm looking into it but if you have any pointers or don't experience this with your device let me know please :)

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
I have some memory issues with both 3-10-2010 and 4-10-2010 kernels. The memory usage is really high and my launcher(launcher pro) keeps getting closed/restarted all the time even without opening any other apps.

Ok scratch that looks like the problem has been caused by having data on ext2 partition.

Rondador

Feb 28, 2009
The kernel 2.6.32 runs way better than previous, but i have a persistent fail that knocks out the screen, at start i can see a message saying "msm_i2c.0: Bus still busy, status 2100m intf 100" and another more saying "msm_i2c.0: Error waiting for notbusy". ¿It is a common fail or it's only mine?

MTom

May 5, 2007
Hungary
Hi
the problem is I do not belong here

I tried several variants android
the Caller ID does not work
basic configuration of network settings, but it is not good
if you want to set up an error message is incorrect sim, and it is no longer a network
something that is not a solution?

n2rjt

L1q1d, good work. Some of the changes you have made, such as nand, affect all of the related phone types. So, you might want to at least mention them on the vogue kernel thread. On the other hand, the keypad and battery code is not used by vogue. As you know, Polaris uses the same battery code as Kaiser.

I'm thinking two changes for battery code:
a) going back to max voltage and current instead of average, to work better with poor batteries. My old battery sometimes has deep dips in its reported voltage, causing a recalibration to 5% capacity when it really has more like 40%.
b) the recommended capacity calculations at high and low calibration points should be "recommended = battery_capacity - (new - old)" instead of "recommended -= (new - old)". As things are, the recommended value is pretty close on the first calibration, but any subsequent calibrations apply the same correction over and over again, making the recommended value go negative or insanely positive. Of course I cannot remember the names of the variables.

mt1976

Feb 26, 2010
@L1q1d

This is a nice idea to make this thread for kaiser users.

Today I tried the latest kernel 4-10-2010 with fresh froyo 2.2.1 (nand installation). First the system works well. But after installing the ADW.Launcher from the market and after a reboot I got always chrashes from this launcher and I never had this before with any other kernel and the launcher version has not been changed. So maybe I have the same issues then Arturo. Then I tried the app task killer but it chrashes after starting it (same problem). I think these problems could be memory issues in the latest kernel version.

Keep going on your nice work for kaiser

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
l1q1d I have just got a framework exception and as usual 90% of apps don't work anymore. It occured using the latest kernel.

Also I still keep getting those launcher pro redraws It didn't happen while using the 2.6.25 kernel. Has the memory management been changed in the new kernel?

n2rjt

Do you use compcache? Like wlan, compcache uses kernel drivers that have to match the kernel version. I use compcache with backing store on 4th partition of sdcard.

Sent from my Full Android on Vogue using XDA App

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
Do you use compcache? Like wlan, compcache uses kernel drivers that have to match the kernel version. I use compcache with backing store on 4th partition of sdcard.

Yes I do. I ripped the compcache.sh file from latest dzo's fresh froyo build.(I remember reading Kalt Kaffe's post about getting compcache to work with the newest kernel a while ago so I assumed that it has been sorted out and we can enable compcache with new kernel) I'm on NAND at the moment with both system and data. I've tried system on nand and data on ext2 partition but the launcher redraws were killing me, every time I opened opera mini and then closed it the launcher was closed and I had to wait for it to load into memory again.

I'm back to system and data on nand at the moment with new kernel and it's much much better but still it happens from time to time. I've never experienced launcher redraws with the old kernel so I don't really now what;s wrong.

About the 4th partition....you mean swap, right?
When I was on nand +sd card I had 3 partitions 1) fat 32 then 2) ext2 about 30 mb(I don't know what for is the first ext2 partition but i remember that i couldn't install data to sd card with only one ext2 partition) and finally 3) second ext2 partition for data about 300mb. So by creating the third ext2 partition I would activate swap in compcache? I've never tried as I heard that it might used up the sd card faster. also I only have two sd cards 6gb(class 4) and 12 GB (class 2) so I think i would probably need class 6 for swap file?

n2rjt

The compcache-required modules are included in the 2.6.32 modules attached to my first post of this thread. Those files should work with any recent 2.6.32 kernel. I would suggest that we should be able to get modules the same place we get zImage and NBH files.

I wouldn't recommend backing store for everybody. It works for me, with my 8GB card, but I'm not sure it ever even writes anything to the swap partition. And, yes, my fourth partition is a swap partition. Kallt-kaffe's latest compcache.sh script should work fine.

An easy way to find out of your compcache is working: use the "free" command from the command prompt. If swap is shown as zero, compcache is not working. You can also see failures in the dmesg log.

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
The compcache-required modules are included in the 2.6.32 modules attached to my first post of this thread. Those files should work with any recent 2.6.32 kernel. I would suggest that we should be able to get modules the same place we get zImage and NBH files.

I wouldn't recommend backing store for everybody. It works for me, with my 8GB card, but I'm not sure it ever even writes anything to the swap partition. And, yes, my fourth partition is a swap partition. Kallt-kaffe's latest compcache.sh script should work fine.

An easy way to find out of your compcache is working: use the "free" command from the command prompt. If swap is shown as zero, compcache is not working. You can also see failures in the dmesg log.

Excellent N2rjt i think you just found the cause of my issues. I updated my system with the modules you have linked enabled compcache again and then i entered the "FREE" command and swap shows zero. So the compcache is not working this must be the reason for constant launcher redraws. Now what could be the cause of "broken" compcache?

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
Ok, guys I got a compcache.sh file from the latest dzo's froyo and compcache is finally enabled. I will be testing the device to see whether the issues are gone. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

n2rjt

Bug: white screen, Android still alive

How I got a white screen:
AT&T Tilt-flavored Kaiser, latest kernel and dzo's Fresh Froyo, both built from current git code.
I was typing on the hardware keyboard, actually entering a message for xda-developers. I wanted to say "dmesg | grep ds2746", but couldn't find the "|" symbol. I remembered that the hardware keys for the soft keys (between R-T and between I-O) have some symbols mapped to them, so I was trying different Fn- and Symbol combinations of those keys.
Eventually I hit Fn-(Left soft key), and got a text screen with dmesg logs.
Okay, how to get back to a graphical screen? I tried a few keys that didn't take me back, then had a brilliant idea, hit the red hangup key.
That blanked the screen, but when I hit other keys to wake up, I had a white screen. Yet, adb logcat verifies that the phone is still running Android, and it is even responding to my touches, just I can't see anything except white.

Edit: can recover by using Fn- keypad right soft key.

Top Liked Posts