FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SetCPU

695 posts
Thanks Meter: 57

By syrenz, Senior Member on 24th July 2011, 03:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was curious... does SetCpu work for this phone like Milestone Overclock? What's the difference, aside from SetCPU having more options?

They are both free (well SetCPU only free for XDA), but everyone uses milestone OC here and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

24th July 2011, 08:16 AM |#2  
Flag Sacramento, CA
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrenz

I was curious... does SetCpu work for this phone like Milestone Overclock? What's the difference, aside from SetCPU having more options?

They are both free (well SetCPU only free for XDA), but everyone uses milestone OC here and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that.

There is difference between two applications. Milestone overclock actually overclocks the processor while setcpu doesn't. Setcpu just changes clock frequency of CPU ranging from minimum to maximum. It allows you to make user profiles depending on which frequency of processor will be controlled. It actually helps battery last battery longer. BTW setcpu is paid application
The Following User Says Thank You to jackfrost3821 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jackfrost3821 Ad-Free
24th July 2011, 08:18 AM |#3  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 141

More
SetCPU is used for setting CPU parameters. Like the range of mhz your CPU works at. Also setting profiles (CPU mhz when the phone is charging, reach temperature, battery lower than... etc.). But it cannot be used for overcharging, that's why we use Milestone overclock...
Sent from my XT720 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to eSu.Matix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eSu.Matix Ad-Free
24th July 2011, 08:31 AM |#4  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 2,288

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost3821

There is difference between two applications. Milestone overclock actually overclocks the processor while setcpu doesn't. Setcpu just changes clock frequency of CPU ranging from minimum to maximum. It allows you to make user profiles depending on which frequency of processor will be controlled. It actually helps battery last battery longer. BTW setcpu is paid application

Setcpu is free for XDA members bud, find it here
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibertyMonger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LibertyMonger Ad-Free
24th July 2011, 01:00 PM |#5  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 47

More
how should i adjust my advanced settings? im overclocked at 850mhz
24th July 2011, 02:27 PM |#6  
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMonger

Setcpu is free for XDA members bud, find it here

Thank you I wasn't knowing it is free for xda members!
24th July 2011, 02:31 PM |#7  
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
I personally think Setcpu creates glitches in phone routine. Say when I play music and turn off the display, after I turn it on it pauses music a bit. I uninstalled it, problem seems to be no more. Still I can't confirm if the bug was created because of setcpu plus the battery life is not increased exponentially with setcpu.
24th July 2011, 02:37 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Thanks for the answers
24th July 2011, 04:04 PM |#9  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 2,288

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost3821

I personally think Setcpu creates glitches in phone routine. Say when I play music and turn off the display, after I turn it on it pauses music a bit. I uninstalled it, problem seems to be no more. Still I can't confirm if the bug was created because of setcpu plus the battery life is not increased exponentially with setcpu.

I think I agree, lol. Android has it's own built in "Setcpu" it's supposed to do a good job on it's own. I have been using it lately and not really sure it is much of an advantage. I'm gonna go a few days without I think and see. Same with battery calibration, I use 3 backup batteries so if it works it really can't work properly when switching batteries but they all always seem calibrated the same whether I use it or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibertyMonger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LibertyMonger Ad-Free
24th July 2011, 11:44 PM |#10  
Vacationing in Nanda Parbat, neck deep in Nyssa al Ghul
Flag Immersed in Dark Matter
Thanks Meter: 17,221

More
SetCPU works with msoc but it is more of a parameter setting app. Imagine if you were oc to 1200 all the time. That would be foolish bc your processor would burn up that is to say if you battery stayed charged long enough to do it. Im set at 1100/74 but I don't need it like that all the time. When my screen is off, why do I need it that high. I do bc I listen to alot of online media, MLB, Jango, Pandora, and if the screen is on it makes temp go up. I do, you may not need it that high. SetCPU allows me to set that parameter to adjust the CPU down and underclock it if I need to. Also if my battery is too hot, I don't need it to be fast as lightning compounding heat, so I set it for a specific temp and it underclocks when I hit it. Here is a screen shots to show my settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Woody Ad-Free
25th July 2011, 01:43 PM |#11  
Flag Sacramento, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMonger

I think I agree, lol. Android has it's own built in "Setcpu" it's supposed to do a good job on it's own. I have been using it lately and not really sure it is much of an advantage. I'm gonna go a few days without I think and see. Same with battery calibration, I use 3 backup batteries so if it works it really can't work properly when switching batteries but they all always seem calibrated the same whether I use it or not.

Exactly that is what I've tried, uninstalled SetCPU to see the battery performance. It was really unnoticeable the battery drain with and without Setcpu. I use Autokill Memory Optimizer which seems to be providing good results as well as performance enhancement.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)