[GUIDE] [SOLVED] "FAILED: ICS Update not working"

Search This thread

dpdoughty

Sep 16, 2006
Seattle
Looks like its failing for me at roughly 25% I'm rebooting using volume down + power. I'll wipe data that way and try again. Updating...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

stanrc

Feb 16, 2010
Mine is working now, 4th try. I put all the apps I removed from /system/app back into it and deleted the backup folder they were in. Not sure if its just fluke that its working now but thats all that changed, still rooted.

dpdoughty

Sep 16, 2006
Seattle
Mine is working now, 4th try. I put all the apps I removed from /system/app back into it and deleted the backup folder they were in. Not sure if its just fluke that its working now but thats all that changed, still rooted.

Can you pack up all those apps and upload them. That might help us all out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ryco1

Dec 29, 2011
As someone above said, I had moved all the bloatware to a folder I created, app.old. After moving all of those apps back to the system/app folder it looks like ICS is going through this time.

Can't comment if that was the issue or if perhaps the firmware update is working properly now. Two people doing the same seems to indicate the original apk files need to be in that system/app folder

unknown_owner

Nov 27, 2009
For future reference, don't uninstall any app. Use Titanium Backup to just freeze them. You can defrost it anytime you want.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

wtorres141

Dec 18, 2010
New York City
Solved for me

I was rooted....had removed bloat, frozen apps with TB....upgraded GMail to ICS version and changed font to ICS. -> update failed several times.

- reset - fail

so i downloaded official .33 firmware from Asus
unzipped to SDCARD (external microSD).
rebooted, holding down vol...then up when prompted.
it failed to update...but when booted into HC, it notified me of an .33 update...i applied it.
ALL bloat returned, fonts too....

ICS update worked after.

sooo...if you removed bloat, you can get it from ASUS. Go Asus.

vypor87

Mar 10, 2011
Dallas
As someone above said, I had moved all the bloatware to a folder I created, app.old. After moving all of those apps back to the system/app folder it looks like ICS is going through this time.

Can't comment if that was the issue or if perhaps the firmware update is working properly now. Two people doing the same seems to indicate the original apk files need to be in that system/app folder

EVERYONE PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!

With this tablet (if you haven't noticed by the 5th page of this topic) as well as any other oem android device (i.e. motorola phones, ect...)
you cannot OTA after removing "bloatware".
Just about every device OEM requires this with their android OTAs.

As far as "what is bloatware" any thing that requires root to be removed would be considered an oem system app (or if it's annoying and slow, bloat). If you can remove it without root then it's probably safe to say that it won't block your OTA.

I'm hoping to receive this tablet soon and get some ICS (best buy "processing"). I haven't researched too much yet but hopefully there are some recovery files to flash this tablet back to OEM stock. I know with motorola there are SBF files and fastboot files to flash with RSDlite. It'll be interesting to deal with a different android OEM now!

Hope my suggestion helps.

johnnyutah22

Jul 17, 2011
Tennessee
How can I install the .33 update if I don't have an external sd card. Also, what folder did you put in in on the external sd card?

bball606

Feb 15, 2011
My update worked fine. Was not rooted, did not uninstall any pre-loaded apps. ICS "optimized" about 110 apps during setup.

Good luck to you all

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
3 attempts so far and each time after the firmware downloads and the prime reboots, right after the Android with the gears shows up he turns into an android with an exclamation mark.

Then after a 5 minute boot I get a system message that says:

zuPpT.png

Post here if you failed too, and solutions you have.

Attempts:
first - Device was nachorooted, root backed up via OTA rootkeeper. FAILED

second - with root disabled via OTA rootkeeper FAILED

third - removed root via viperboy's tool FAILED

fourth - factory reset then update FAILED

fifth - just going to repeat the stock attempts until something looks different

edit: something looks different

9z7rQ.jpg

Current suspicion is that deleting bloatware apps may be involved. (@Vibe, kindle, asus junk etc)
If anyone has deleted these apps and is having a problem, CHIME IN.

Likewise, if you did NOT delete ANY bloatware and are having issues, please CHIME IN.

that's the culprit right there. you were rooted in deleted system installed apps. Same reason I can't OTA update on my Atrix 4g to gingerbread. I deleted bloatware. when OTA starts to install, it runs a check to make sure all stock configuration stuff is still there. when it detects it gone, that's when exclamation mark comes up and update fails. reason why I'm still on froyo on my phone. still wrist great though..lol

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

My update worked fine. Was not rooted, did not uninstall any pre-loaded apps. ICS "optimized" about 110 apps during setup.

Good luck to you all

I had 203 optimized ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved for me

I was rooted....had removed bloat, frozen apps with TB....upgraded GMail to ICS version and changed font to ICS. -> update failed several times.

- reset - fail

so i downloaded official .33 firmware from Asus
    unzipped to SDCARD (external microSD).
    rebooted, holding down vol...then up when prompted.
    it failed to update...but when booted into HC, it notified me of an .33 update...i applied it.
    ALL bloat returned, fonts too....

ICS update worked after.

sooo...if you removed bloat, you can get it from ASUS. Go Asus.
    Read all instructions before beginning.
    THIS IS NOT A GUIDE TO ROOTING, OR FOR DOWNGRADING TO .33 FROM ICS.

0. link a google account with your tablet if you have recently done a factory reset.

1. Extract the update zip on your computer.
    2. Find the zip file in the extracted folders.
    3. Copy that file to the root of your sd card.
    4. Reboot.... Zip file will be detected after reboot.
    5. . 33 update will install.

jfortier777 said:
    Just to be clear...

You are downloading UpdateLauncher_US_epaduser8_8_3_33.zip

at

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/#download

and extracting US_epad-user-8.8.3.33.zip

Then placing it in REMOVABLE/MICROSD/US_epad-user-8.8.3.33.zip

and then just reboot or wait for the system prompt and it will install .33

6. After reboot re root
    7. Then use root keeper to save root
    8. Install ics and enjoy.
    9. Once done use root keeper to gain root again
    10. Use root checker to verify

Thanks to everyone who helped sort this out and make sense of it.
    I never new bloatware could be so dangerous.

DO NOT DELETE BLOATWARE IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE OTA UPDATES IN THE FUTURE

Damn OP for making me think that unrooted people are also having update problems. I was panicking when I read through the first pages of this thread.
    Nothing to worry about when you don't root and don't delete system apps.

My sincere apologies. *I did not want to garner any undue hostility to jcase or viperboy as the Root process was not at fault in any way.

It was only what we all happened to do once we had it. (deleting bloatware)

If you arent sure where the update goes after all this...

Aw4Kg.jpg

Below maintained for archive only:

3 attempts so far and each time after the firmware downloads and the prime reboots, right after the Android with the gears shows up he turns into an android with an exclamation mark.

Then after a 5 minute boot I get a system message that says:

zuPpTl.png

Post here if you failed too, and solutions you have.

Attempts:
    first - Device was nachorooted, root backed up via OTA rootkeeper. FAILED

second - with root disabled via OTA rootkeeper FAILED

third - removed root via viperboy's tool FAILED

fourth - factory reset then update FAILED

fifth - just going to repeat the stock attempts until something looks different
    OP updated to a HOW TO and directions added in idiot/me-proof terms.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed, I'm gonna go drown in ice cream now.
    sorry forgot to mention that was my 3rd attempt

i'm on #4 now just doing a factory reset first.
    the title should be changed

it should not have solved in it when there are people that still can't downgrade to .33

i too have tried everything here and have no luck either

people who were successful could they share any other ideas that may help the rest of us to be successful too

i am at this all day and am slowly going mad

I strongly encourage you to reread the OP and the title of this thread.

THIS IS NOT A GUIDE TO ROOTING, OR FOR DOWNGRADING TO .33 FROM ICS.

It is a GUIDE to help people who were unable to update to ICS and needed to reapply their existing .33 installation.

There are support threads for downgrading elsewhere. Use the search feature.

I will add this to the top of the OP so others who do not read through will not be confused.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium