[MOD] beats audio cwm flashable zip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jwischka

Jun 14, 2010
Hey, thanks for the info! This is helpful. BTW, how's the fit of SE535 on you? I had the 530 and it just did not feel comfortable. Always wanted to try a Grado too but they have a bad reputation for comfort and I'm fine with my Senns.

Grados are not comfortable. Period.

I would give the 535's an "average" rating on comfort for IEMs. They are not as comfortable as the X10's, but are better, I think, than TripleFi 10's. I'm using the Comply tips, which I think are more comfortable than the stock tips. Occasionally they are quite comfortable, but every 3-4 times I put them in, one ear will be less than comfortable. The sound is fantastic, but if you don't have slightly larger than average outer ear, I could see how they would be really uncomfortable. I think with the larger IEMs, it really comes down to where they hit your ear. The TripleFis are smaller than the 535's, but I could never get them to fit well in my ear. To each his own, I suppose.

willblake13

Mar 27, 2011
Washington
Just want to say if this turns out to be a placebo, and someone ruins it for us, we will have a problem. Lol, just wanted to make that clear. I'd rather be happy and ignorant than. Unhappy and smart. Lol

Remember it's not really yours until you have voided the warranty.

RockoDev

Apr 28, 2010
Denver, CO
Just want to say if this turns out to be a placebo, and someone ruins it for us, we will have a problem. Lol, just wanted to make that clear. I'd rather be happy and ignorant than. Unhappy and smart. Lol

lol i have a feeling your trying to take shots at somebody!!

willblake13

Mar 27, 2011
Washington
Lol nah I just don't want to hear about it if it's. Placebo cuz if it is I'm going to be upset, especially since I just went out and purchased beats detox headphones to get the most out of this. Personally I see the difference though.

Last edited:

theelite

Aug 12, 2007
since HTC just announced that they will release an updated version of Beats audio on the HTC One that will work with 3rd party players doesn't that mean this MOD does nothing since it will currently work only with the HTC stock music player?

Last edited:

jwischka

Jun 14, 2010

It should actually be fairly easy to see whether there is any difference or not - flash original, play a song, record on a computer, FFT, see if there are differences. I suppose I can try this (or not), if you're really interested.

jwischka

Jun 14, 2010
Recording method also matters though.

Shouldn't matter much, so long as it's identical between the two. Of course, the recording device (even if it's a line-in to a sound card) will have its own characteristics, but those will be the same between the two playbacks.

In other words, it matters if you're looking for absolute accuracy, but not if you're just trying to tell if there is a difference.

Dec 10, 2011
Shouldn't matter much, so long as it's identical between the two. Of course, the recording device (even if it's a line-in to a sound card) will have its own characteristics, but those will be the same between the two playbacks.

In other words, it matters if you're looking for absolute accuracy, but not if you're just trying to tell if there is a difference.

Good point, test it out and let us know:D

MobileAllStar

Aug 13, 2010
Anyone test this on CM9 yet? I flashed and it works but my phone seemed to act funny afterwards... I made multiple mods so I'm not sure if my problems were directly related to this but my phone didn't function properly after installing this...

willblake13

Mar 27, 2011
Washington
God I can't help but love this, especially with my beats detox headphones, bass is so clear!

jwischka

Jun 14, 2010
Lol nah I just don't want to hear about it if it's. Placebo cuz if it is I'm going to be upset, especially since I just went out and purchased beats detox headphones to get the most out of this. Personally I see the difference though.

God I can't help but love this, especially with my beats detox headphones, bass is so clear!

Have you considered that it may be the headphones, and not the mod?

glock20c

May 22, 2011
two thumbs up....works really well....just tested it out on a ELS sound system in my Acura ...it sounds beautiful....

jwischka

Jun 14, 2010
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but....

spectrum.png

This is a sweep plot with this mod flashed. Obviously, this is (noisy but) pretty flat.

Procedure:

1) sweep wave file, 10Hz-22kHz, 10s generated @ audiocheck.net
2) file played back via standard music player, recorded @ 24bit, 44kHz
3) plotted in Goldwave, seen above.

Analysis:

There isn't any bass boosting, and doesn't appear to be any noise reduction going on here. There are the obvious wigglies that I would expect in listening to the more or less pink noise that is generated on the audio out, but it doesn't appear that anything intentional is being done with regard to audio processing. Given that the typical "Beats" modus is to crank the bass quite a bit, I suspect this is not actually working on the phone.

I reserve the right to retract these statements following further testing. Also, as per disclosure, there is no "control" here, meaning I haven't flashed back to a "non-Beats" to do the recording again, though I will when Joker releases a new version, hopefully tonight.

Given recent noise that has been made about how the "new" Beats audio works with all music players, not just the HTC one, I think this is a fairly reasonable conclusion.

More to come, possibly.

atroph

Sep 14, 2011
Very nice. I feel that the beats audio mod is just a simple loudness effect. Bump the bass and treble to make up for lower quality headphones.

I would be interested to see a sweep using to built in dsp and crank the bass to ensure that your test controls are correct.

Sent from my MoPho. All typos are the phones fault.

Reactions: jwischka

SkzBR

Oct 26, 2010
Porto Alegre
Can someone explain me the difference of this 'beats audio'?

It's a audio replacement driver to use with high-end beats devices? And if yes, it means that if a broght a beats headphone i need to use with devices with beats audio enabled to use their full performance? Thats sounds strange for me... i think that headphones need to work everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Beats audio libs:
    Pulled from ROCKO rom
    Link has been removed, many people are not giving RockoDev the props he deserves for his work.
    Yeah I did too, I pulled it from rocko

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

credits would be nice:) just saying

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium
    Very nice. I feel that the beats audio mod is just a simple loudness effect. Bump the bass and treble to make up for lower quality headphones.

I would be interested to see a sweep using to built in dsp and crank the bass to ensure that your test controls are correct.

Sent from my MoPho. All typos are the phones fault.

Why not?

Changes in procedure:

1) Generated a logarithmic sweep, 10-22kHz, 20s, same source. This was done to provide more time at lower frequencies.
    2) File analyzed three ways: first, the base file spectrum is shown, which is important due to the rolloff in high frequencies in the base logarithmic file. Second, the "flat" spectrum is shown, where no DSP effects are active. Third, bass and treble are both raised, while the mids are lowered in the EQ.

Base file spectrum:
    base.png

"Flat" spectrum, no EQ:
    spectrum-flateq.png

Bass boost, treble boost:
    spectrum-bass.png

Analysis:

This is about what we would expect. There are some alterations between the actual file and the playback with no EQ, but they're pretty close. As with the previous graph, there seems to be a pretty sharp rolloff at 20kHz on the Photon, no matter what you're doing. This isn't too surprising.

There are significant alterations to the frequency profile of the EQ'ed spectrum, which again is expected. One of the key reasons I would suggest that this mod isn't doing anything at the moment is that anytime you start filtering a signal (which is what an EQ basically is), you start to see peaks and valleys in the spectrum - no filters are perfectly flat.

Conclusion:

I am not an audio engineer, but I do know a few things about signal processing and frequency spectra. I do, again, reserve to change my mind based on future testing, or input from an actual expert. That said, my professional opinion based on these tests is that whatever flashing this package does, it does not result in an altered audio profile on the Photon.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Can someone explain me the difference of this 'beats audio'?

It's a audio replacement driver to use with high-end beats devices? And if yes, it means that if a broght a beats headphone i need to use with devices with beats audio enabled to use their full performance? Thats sounds strange for me... i think that headphones need to work everywhere.

See above.

HTC phones ship with "Beats Audio" libraries, which are supposed to be improved audio drivers as compared to other phones. General consensus is that, like Beats generally does, it basically serves as a bass boost, which many people generally find to be a more rich sound. This is designed to work regardless of what headphones you are using, though currently, it is supposed to work only in the Beats Audio app which ships on these phones.

This package is supposed to add the Beats functionality to the Photon, but results are ... unclear at the moment. My testing so far does not seem to indicate that flashing this package has any noticeable effect on the frequency spectrum (or noise, I might add) compared to stock. That said, being that audio quality is about the most subjective thing you can imagine, I'm sure certain people will disagree with my conclusions.
    Well I was hoping someone could list with confidence a device/ROM combo where the mod is working.
    But I'm sure it won't be you as your previous measurements are pretty clear ;)

OP statements (and certainly his request for donations) are obviously wrong but I'm curious if some of the files can be parsed and applied in some configurations.
    I'm thinking especially about csv or txt files that can be used as register/values pairs sent to the audio chips with some HTC or MSM-based drivers.

Maybe there's some partial truth in that. 100% placebo seems more credible tho.

My suspicion as well. I do have an old HTC Hero and my wife's Nexus S that I can try this on, which I may do here in a bit.

I would think the issue is actually how the various driver calls are made (or in this case, not made). I can install all the libraries I want on my phone, but if none of them are actually called in the output path, they do no good. In looking at the CSV and text files, they appear to mostly be filter coefficients, which would make sense given what Beats is understood to do, but would also make sense from the standpoint that the filters might not be applied unless they were specifically called by the audio program (put differently, unless the audio program *knew* to call them).

I would be interested to know what TechCrunch's tests were, and what exactly they did, if they supposedly got it working. The two screenshots they have posted aren't even just noticeably different - they are noticeably not even the same song. If you're going to publish something like that, gotta publish the protocol too.

I'm taking down the link to until you all can be a little more appreciative of his work. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have It in the first place.

Please. You're saying that if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have something that, by all quantifiable appearances doesn't do anything? I'm not quite sure I follow your logic.

If this actually worked then I would be appreciative of it. As is, flashing this zip does not alter the audio profile in any statistically significant way. Again, if you want to dispute, then take measurements (complete with your protocol) and prove me wrong. I'm certainly willing to change my mind, but it's going to take more than "OMGz, this sounds awesomez on my Beatz headphonez".
    There all better :)

true it was just time consuming to download the rom look for them and put in rocko rom make sure the rom boots if doesnt find the file affecting the boot and all that other good stuff

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium