[S-OFF]Rumrunner S-off works for Rezound!!!

Search This thread

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for sharing. So it doesn't need a custom ROM to work? Just an unsecured kernel? I guess I should update the OP.

Edit: never mind, I see you did use a custom ROM of sorts.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes,I did flash a stock rooted rom. I don't believe there was anything special about the rom itself,but I can't say for sure. I was looking into turning the secure flag off on an otherwise stock kernel,and testing that with the completely stock rom,but tried the rom flash cause it was easier. I may still give the kernal a shot... I'll let you know if i find it to be true,and maybe offer a newer insecure kernel.

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Has anyone actually tried to do the procedure with the stock kernel?

Fwiw, I read this in the download instructions : "We DO prefer users have an unsecure kernel, but that is not required." That seems to contradict the quoted statement...

curiously,
john

Yes,i tried I thAT way and it failed. Its my understanding from his comments that chillerman did as well.

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Chillerman

Chillerman

Apr 15, 2011
Golden, CO
Has anyone actually tried to do the procedure with the stock kernel?

Fwiw, I read this in the download instructions : "We DO prefer users have an unsecure kernel, but that is not required." That seems to contradict the quoted statement...

curiously,
john

Yes, I have tried the stock kernel and stock rom and many other combinations. The program could not "break through" the stock kernel for lack of a better term. It said something like "the bottle cap is on really tight!". It told me I needed to be on an unsecured kernel.

You are more than welcome to try and run it with whatever setup you have and let me know how it works. It won't hurt anything to try.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty1223

jrredho

Aug 25, 2012
Yes, I have tried the stock kernel and stock rom and many other combinations. The program could not "break through" the stock kernel for lack of a better term. It said something like "the bottle cap is on really tight!". It told me I needed to be on an unsecured kernel.

As you can tell, I didn't read the entire thread closely and missed where you stated (probably multiple times) that you had tried it yourself. Sorry. Thanks for straightening me out! :)

I'm on (what I've learned is) the "pseudo" latest OTA, which is close to the stock, rooted ROM and the latest Hboot/Firmware. I don't know if the kernel is stock or not in that ROM, but I'll try this later today and let you know what I learn.

cheers,
john

jrredho

Aug 25, 2012
I'm on (what I've learned is) the "pseudo" latest OTA, which is close to the stock, rooted ROM and the latest Hboot/Firmware. I don't know if the kernel is stock or not in that ROM, but I'll try this later today and let you know what I learn.

So, after fruitlessly attempting all of this with my Windows 8.1 laptop (the fruitless part has to do with the not being able to figure out how to achieve a fastboot-compatible HTC driver under 8.1), I booted a live USB drive of the latest Linux Mint and was able to achieve what I think is S-Off.

Just to be specific, I came to this ROM from last year's Global leak after first updating the firmware (radios and hboot) to the latest model. I do not know whether the kernel that comes with that ROM is secure or not.

Under Mint, I downloaded and installed the adb and fastboot executables. I then downloaded the rumrunner tgz file and extracted the files in it.

Finally I fired up the rumrunner executable. It went through several procedures, then on the last step, it showed dots progressing for an hour and a half. I happened to get a text msg notification, so took a look and noticed that the USB device no longer showed as being mounted in the notification area. I ctrl-c'd out of the procedure, powered off my phone, re-booted to the bootloader, and saw the magic s-off word in the hboot header. I think that that means success. :)

Thanks for letting us all know about this avenue of getting to S-Off. It's clear that the Rezound will not be getting any more updates from HTC or Verizon, and having the flexibility to be able to go back to the RUUs is a big, big plus as developers work to keep our phones current.

cheers,
john

scy1192

Apr 12, 2012
So, after fruitlessly attempting all of this with my Windows 8.1 laptop (the fruitless part has to do with the not being able to figure out how to achieve a fastboot-compatible HTC driver under 8.1), I booted a live USB drive of the latest Linux Mint and was able to achieve what I think is S-Off.

Just to be specific, I came to this ROM from last year's Global leak after first updating the firmware (radios and hboot) to the latest model. I do not know whether the kernel that comes with that ROM is secure or not.

Under Mint, I downloaded and installed the adb and fastboot executables. I then downloaded the rumrunner tgz file and extracted the files in it.

Finally I fired up the rumrunner executable. It went through several procedures, then on the last step, it showed dots progressing for an hour and a half. I happened to get a text msg notification, so took a look and noticed that the USB device no longer showed as being mounted in the notification area. I ctrl-c'd out of the procedure, powered off my phone, re-booted to the bootloader, and saw the magic s-off word in the hboot header. I think that that means success. :)

Thanks for letting us all know about this avenue of getting to S-Off. It's clear that the Rezound will not be getting any more updates from HTC or Verizon, and having the flexibility to be able to go back to the RUUs is a big, big plus as developers work to keep our phones current.

cheers,
john

I had the same problem with Windows 8.1. It's not the fastboot driver, it's the USB chipset driver. Either find one from your manufacturer or install the Windows 7 one; the one provided by Microsoft won't work correctly.

jrredho

Aug 25, 2012
I had the same problem with Windows 8.1. It's not the fastboot driver, it's the USB chipset driver. Either find one from your manufacturer or install the Windows 7 one; the one provided by Microsoft won't work correctly.

Yeah, if you say so.

All I know is, I've spent several hours on several different occasions mucking about with various driver solutions I've seen on xda-developers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. None have been robust, and, with 8.1, I *still* cannot figure things out. I give up.

I'm hanging with Linux or FreeBSD or whatever else flavor of OS that I run across that works. I'm done with the Windows and Android thing, particularly when combined with HTC.

cheers,
john

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
Yeah, if you say so.

All I know is, I've spent several hours on several different occasions mucking about with various driver solutions I've seen on xda-developers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. None have been robust, and, with 8.1, I *still* cannot figure things out. I give up.

I'm hanging with Linux or FreeBSD or whatever else flavor of OS that I run across that works. I'm done with the Windows and Android thing, particularly when combined with HTC.

cheers,
john

windows 7 is the only supported os for the drivers which i can give you....8 and 8.1 is full of thorns in all sides....its a crappy os that should not have been released as nothings compatible for it really...windows should focus on the same universal concept that linux does...windows i hate to say it is loosing the pc war to the great and powerful linux that i love...

jrredho

Aug 25, 2012
windows i hate to say it is loosing the pc war to the great and powerful linux that i love...

I hear ya!

The problem for me is that I have some essential programs that simply have no *nix alternative that are viable. I'm thinking Winamp, TOPO!, Garmin BaseCamp, etc. I simply have to use Windows for those. You know, *essential*. :)

Otherwise, I'd go full *nix, all the time, as I prefer any of them over any edition of Windows.

cheers,
john

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
I hear ya!

The problem for me is that I have some essential programs that simply have no *nix alternative that are viable. I'm thinking Winamp, TOPO!, Garmin BaseCamp, etc. I simply have to use Windows for those. You know, *essential*. :)

Otherwise, I'd go full *nix, all the time, as I prefer any of them over any edition of Windows.

cheers,
john

just burn ubuntu to a live cd and boot it from that when you need to do "delicate" phone work. ive been doing that for awhile now,windows is too iffy when running phone tools.

scy1192

Apr 12, 2012
windows 7 is the only supported os for the drivers which i can give you....8 and 8.1 is full of thorns in all sides....its a crappy os that should not have been released as nothings compatible for it really...windows should focus on the same universal concept that linux does...windows i hate to say it is loosing the pc war to the great and powerful linux that i love...

No idea why you say that it's crappy. I've used 8 as my main OS since release preview and havent had problems besides that fastboot issue. The driver model is the same as 7 (unlike with the notorious switch from XP to Vista) so the 7 drivers should definitely work.

REV3NT3CH

Dec 30, 2012
Crescent City
No idea why you say that it's crappy. I've used 8 as my main OS since release preview and havent had problems besides that fastboot issue. The driver model is the same as 7 (unlike with the notorious switch from XP to Vista) so the 7 drivers should definitely work.

and this is where i dissagree...80% of windows 7 drivers will not work on 8 as it was made to handle things much differently...hence why it needed the bios change to uefi as anything prior ran on a completely different bios method....a good example would be tring to install android on an iphone...while it is possible and backbone is very similar...they use 2 completely different setups....same as is with 7 and prior compared to windows 8 and up....8 also still has many incompatibilities with many WINDOWS based programs closing off most of its universal abilities between windows systems...i think here is where they messed up and microsoft lost alot of customers to linux or other users just staying on an older windows system...businesses stay away from it as much as possible for this reason...hence why they mostly chose to update to 7 and not 8 because non of their programs will run on it due to these compatibility issues.....owning my own PC business...i can safely say a high majority of my customers come to me strictly for windows 8 removal and windows 7 or even XP install

Reactions: acejavelin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone is interested, the universal Rumrunner s-off exploit works for our Rezounds! I just got a new Rezound and used this method to obtain s-off. NO MORE WIRE TRICK! NO MORE WIPING OF INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL MEMORY! THE CURRENT ROM YOU ARE ON WILL NOT BE ERASED! YOUR CURRENT RECOVERY WILL NOT BE TOUCHED!

Disclaimer: I am not a Dev. I have no association/affiliation with Rumrunner and can provide no support. Try this at your own risk. It's not my fault if you Bork your phone!

www.rumrunner.us

The download for our phone can be found on page three of the Rumrunner site http://rumrunner.us/downloads-2/. It is under "Universal Downloads" and is called rumrunner_HTC_.0.5.0.

A few notes:

-You must be HTC dev unlocked
    -You must be rooted
    -You must have an unsecured kernel installed and a custom Rom
    -HTC Sync has to be removed from your computer
    -Proper HTC drivers installed
    -ADB set up
    -USB debugging enabled
    -Fast boot disabled
    -Internet connection
    -Turn off all antivirus and firewall software! I can't stress this enough! (If you get rows and rows of dots and the program never finishes it is likely that you forgot to disable one or the other)

Make sure you have a backup on your SD card just in case something goes wrong!

Hook your phone up to your computer in "charge only" mode and run the soju.exe file as Administrator. It will reboot several times and do its magic. It may take 10-15 minutes (or more) to complete.

It took a while for me to get it right, but it does work!

EDIT: I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST USING EITHER TWRP OR CWM AS YOUR RECOVERY WHEN RUNNING THIS PROGRAM. THE FEW PEOPLE HAVING PROBLEMS SEEMED TO BE USING AMONRA AT THE TIME.

Verified to work with: EclipticRez, PAC-man, Tachyon, Ineffabilis, Infection, CM, Carbon, and LiquidSmooth so far.

Your results may vary. Please post in this thread if it works for you!

Your hboot version will remain the same and will still say "Tampered" and "Unlocked"!

To eliminate the "Tampered" flag see scotty1223's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2589763

This is the original thread in the HTC One forum that I used for my HTC One http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2473644.
    Please note the instructions are not the same for the Universal exploit. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE HTC ONE HBOOT!!!

I will not share any files from their site. Use the download links they provide, they work just fine:

"rumrunner s-off is the results of hundreds of hours of hard work by beaups and fuses. The binaries contained within the rumrunner package you download should not be shared, rehosted, bat’d, integrated into a one-click, repackaged, or otherwise distributed or reused. This software is NOT open source."

Credit:
    @beaups @Fuses
    Just did this before leaving to work, and my phone is now S-OFF. How cool, no wire trick or anything, I started the process then got dressed for work and came back and it was done.
    64-bit openSuSE Linux -- not quite

Well, we used it... with half-assed success!! Probably more our fault than yours -but- the two things good about it were;
    #1) We got S-Off without a wire trick.
    #2) We both learned, and found out, how much we know, and don't know, about these Smartphones.

What we used was probably our reason for our "mishaps". In the beginning it is stated, unfortunately like the 'wired' version, that a 32-bit Ubuntu Linux -is preferred. Well, we bullheadedly, went ahead and used our openSuSE 64-bit Linux. We had/have 32-bit libs installed -- as they said that 'may' work. On top of that we had CM11.0 installed on our ReZound.

We followed the instructions on the WebPage -and- it was looking good... until it got to pouring (2). Then we started getting HTC White Screen and CyanogenMod Wheel... alternating on the phone in a mini boot loop, with repeated rows of dots on our PC. After an hour plus, I killed it. Then the fun started... trying to "Restore our Phone"!!

We could not, successfully, get anything to Re-Load on our phone. Finally, as a last resort, we decided to use the RUU from Android Police. It changed our hBoot back to 2.27 and our radios back to 2.22 -BUT- it Re-Stored our phone! We then used the Global Firmware Update to get back to 2.28 hBoot and 2.23 radios.

Oh... did we forget to mention that we got S-Off!! Without a wire. Probably would have been much cleaner and smoother had we just broke down and used 32-bit Ubuntu Linux in the first place. -But- we like our openSuSE and "try" to use it for everything... that we can. Possibly we didn't get 'all' of the 32-bit libs installed -or- something like that. IF there is a next time we will probably try again. Till then we will just enjoy our ReZound 'with' S-Off.

Ah, the SD card It got wiped!! Now please notice that we were NOT using the correct system and that could be the reason. At any rate, it got wiped. Wiped so bad that my PC, neither one, would recognize it!! AFTER I got my phone back in operation, on a whim, I put the SD card back in my phone and tried to format it. It did!! I was then able to take it out of the phone, place it in my PC and copy over the saved version. All is well... now.

Thanks to the devs... never liked poking a wire around in my phone. It was great and kudos to the developers of the wire trick. -But- this way, PERFORMED CORRECTLY (Use 32-bit Ubuntu), seems to be safer.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    P.S.
    Forgot to mention that it completely wiped my SD card. Fortunately I had just made a recent backup.
    Worked perfectly with Tachyon 1.2!

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using xda app-developers app
    You mean bricking while running this rumrunner or flashing a rom?

I believe he means while running the exploit. Once you are s-off, you are s-off! The chance of bricking at that point is totally up to the operator ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk