[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

Search This thread

john boot

Jul 26, 2007
I never knew I had a hinge problem until I watched the videos. Some people have way to much time on their hands.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

The time most people had on theirs hands was due to all the delays in pre orders meaning we would watch review vids lol... but yeah I agree that in everyday use the hinge isnt really an issue (unless using the keyboard when laying on your back)

hrcro

Jun 6, 2007
There is review by telefonino and hinge seems more or less solid. Could somebody from Italy translate that part about hinge?

lordevol

Nov 8, 2010
Could somebody from Italy translate that part about hinge?

I'm Italian and I can translate that for you:

Andrea: "Desire Z open: if you play with it, turn it upside down and tossing it remains quite stable.
Even when closed, it has not big problems, and it's very difficult to take only one part too.
The “Z” movement, in daily use, doesn't create any problem.
We do not know if in a few years the springs will be ok like today, but speaking of today this open/close system is ok
"

I have my desire Z here in my hand and it opens a bit when upside down, but Andrea is saying right: it's so difficult to grab this phone only with the top or the back: nearly impossible in normal daily use :)
Don't worry guys, if you do not buy this phone is not because of the hinge. But for the weight, or the bugs with skype and location. Or the whole "sense"

Thanks everybody for this forum, for the rom's and for all this work that I love so much!

Last edited:

p3eps

Jun 17, 2008
Aberdeen
I wasn't so bothered about the hinge being loose to open - it was more the top wobbling when the device was closed that bothered me.
Anyway - sent the phone back today by Special Delivery for a refund.

onlystreet

Jul 13, 2010
I wasn't so bothered about the hinge being loose to open - it was more the top wobbling when the device was closed that bothered me.
Anyway - sent the phone back today by Special Delivery for a refund.

I feel that way too, about the wobbling. Too bad I have it unlocked and voided the warranty. Otherwise I would have returned it.

onlystreet

Jul 13, 2010
This is worse than the "Is my trackpad wobbling?!" threads on CrackBerry. It's supposed to be loose so you can open it with one finger, according to HTC. If you don't like it, take it back (you can definitely get a refund, since it's only been out like 4 days or whatever) and get a new phone. Seriously. You want a stiff slide, get a Milestone, then you have nothing to complain about.

Does anyone know how to return the phone when it is unlocked? I purchased it from Bell in canada

silencer51

Jul 17, 2010
Aaargh. I'm all ready to order this phone to replace my Milestone and I'm hesitating because of this hinge issue.

setspeed

May 4, 2009
I want to get it too. I'm torn over whether to buy online at somewhere like superetrader for £420 so I get the option to return under Distance Selling Regs, or to pony up £445 to Carphone Warehouse in-store, so that I can have them open a few boxes enabling me to pick the best one. Of course, buying in person means I'll lose the right to get it replaced outright in the first week if it does quickly develop a loose hinge.
What to do...

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
Got my Desire Z yesterday and to be honest, I don't see a problem here. Its seems to be the design of the unit.

The Hinge.. Mine seems fairly stiff, the screen doesn't rock much when closed / open and besides, it only does when open if i press the top of the screen hard. When closed, its solid. It open and closes with a nice solid snap.

Holding the phone upside down.. I never did this on my Touch Pro 2 and i'm likely not to do it with the Z. While it does drop when I try it, my fingers prevent it from closing.

Holding from the screen.. This is probably the best way to kill your phone. It does drop as described by others but again, I never did it with my Touch Pro 2 and I wont be with the Z. I value the longevity of the hinges and will be handling the phone like any other phone, not by the screen!

I've just bought a nice fabric pouch for it to protect it and keep to parts together safely when out n about.

I'm rather happy with it.. :)

Regards
Craig

ayewhy

Jul 21, 2010
xperiaminipro.blogspot.com
I want to get it too. I'm torn over whether to buy online at somewhere like superetrader for £420 so I get the option to return under Distance Selling Regs, or to pony up £445 to Carphone Warehouse in-store, so that I can have them open a few boxes enabling me to pick the best one. Of course, buying in person means I'll lose the right to get it replaced outright in the first week if it does quickly develop a loose hinge.
What to do...

Look for my thread about how I tested two Desire Z's in store before buying the good one! I hate buying phones online knowing the risk that when it arrives it could have a physical faulty/issue and the annoying process of sending it back + waiting for a replacement -- which AGAIN could have issues! :)

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
Im certainly concerned whether or not the hinge mechanism will degrade over time, but Im more worried about the video cable that connects the screen to the rest of the phone. Is it actually exposed while the device is flipped open, or is it just visible while sliding the keyboard out?

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
Im certainly concerned whether or not the hinge mechanism will degrade over time, but Im more worried about the video cable that connects the screen to the rest of the phone. Is it actually exposed while the device is flipped open, or is it just visible while sliding the keyboard out?

It is actually visable and exposed. I also have reservations about whether the ribbon cable will last longer than a year.

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008

Yes, we'll have to see how stiff it is in a years time..

No, the ribbon is not exposed when the keyboard is open or closed. Just when sliding

Craig