FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Linux in Kyros 7015 possible?

141 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By codecxbox, Senior Member on 27th March 2011, 08:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi.1 st post.

I have a Kyros 7015 4Gb , got it real cheap. Although Android is cool and all, I really am a Ubuntu/Debian guy at heart. I have installed Debian in PC's as low as 300mhz/64Mb running OK with Ice. I'm really curious about installing a more or less Debian or ubuntu with any light GUI in the Kyros. As far as I know, Debian 5 and 6 have ARM support in the kernel.

There is a blog from a known linux tinkerer which shows how to install linux inside a smartphone. it has a Debian and a Ubuntu compressed image :

nerd65536.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-instal-debian-or-ubuntu-in

I have tested this on a Motorola Cliq with a Ext3/SD-EXT/Swap partitioned 8gb microsd card and damn it works. I was able to have a full running Debian distro inside the phone. Even has a Gui through a VPN session.

But the same method wasnt possible in the Kyros. The install scripts expects at least 2 available partitions to install. As we know the Kyros only has 1 partition available.

SmartQ 5 and 7 sport a triple boot firmware that has Ubuntu 9.04 selectable. That would be a nice alternative, because SmartQ's have the same telechips cpu as the Kyros, and the Kyros has 2 more internal gb's.
However, SmartQ's dont have a Clockwork recovery based firmware, firmware has to be loaded through a USB cable and Windows (ughhh).

Kyros wifi seems to be based a Atheros 6000 variant. Might as well work for Aircrack,lol

So, what could be done? Can the blog based linux install.sh be modified? Or can a SmartQ recovery image be ported to the Kyros to use their firmware?

Thanks in advance..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)