OEM/Verizon Kickstand Case! (With matching pouch suggestion)

Search This thread

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
You can only see the screen protector whith canera flashes or when the screen is off and the room lighting hits it the wrong way. Otherwise, you can not see that screen protector at all. If I handed you the phone with it turned on, you would have to stand there tilting the screen this way and that to see that screen protector. I love it! I can care less how it looks turned off or in photos, it looks PERFECT while I am using it!

I know you're happy with it, but as they say ignorance is bliss, and I don't want anyone who is considering one versus the other to get the wrong idea. I know you don't normally notice the orange peel finish unless the lighting is right, but that doesn't change the fact that it's always there and affecting the screen performance. I *know* you would be happier with the Steinheil ultra clear, or even the Boxwave Crystal. Since you already have it by all means keep it until it needs to be replaced, but when you need to replace it or get a new device, I highly encourage you to try something else. I have done many side by side comparisons on multiple phones of just about every screen protector and variant made, because I am frequently the one who installs them for people (I'm very well practiced with perfect dust free installs) and I have many friends and coworkers with smart phones. Since I am the one installing them it removes installation technique as a variable providing a better comparison.

I can tell you that the Zagg and other "soft" protectors like the "free" ones mentioned on this forum, are thick and gummy compared to "rigid" protectors like the Steinheil and Boxwave. This means several things:
1.) The Zagg and other protectors reduce touch sensitivity and accuracy due to thickness (especially on resistive touch)
2.) They reduce touch feel due to irregular "drag" due to the gummy texture and unsmooth surface
3.) They reduce screen brightness and color accuracy due to thickness, and also due to their irregular orange peel texture which scatters light.

With my Steinheil, the screen looks identical to without it, and touch feel is virtually identical. It's like laying a thin layer of glass over top. If I took a picture with the light on it, you wouldn't know it's on the screen save for the tiny "lip" at the edge of the protector. It's that clear.

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
1. Has anyone dropped their phone with this case on it? If so did anything happen to the phone? Reason I asked is because this case is so flush to the phone that is looks like it doesn't offer that much protection in a fall.

Without a cushioning layer like rubber or silicone, it's not going to do much for shock (read: rapid deceleration) damage, but no case that doesn't have a cushion would. However it should provide some protection against the case cracking from impact, abrasion damage, etc. I've dropped it a few times with no damage to anything, but I always try to stick my foot out so it hits my foot first... not sure that I've really had it hit hard yet on something very rigid like concrete or tile.

To me the advantage of this case is grip, the kickstand, the fact that you can easily tell by feel, what is the "top" of the phone, and the protection it adds.

2. Over time does the kickstand stay in place or does it come loose at times?
The tension for the kickstand gets "looser" with time since it's all plastic. It starts to try and collapse a bit when the phone is vertical/portrait on the kickstand. But in landscape it's never an issue because the weight of the phone keeps the kickstand open. I wouldn't say it's an issue at all. If you must use it in portrait, you can stick something between the kickstand and the phone to prevent collapse. I'm not sure this is an intended use/feature anyways.

3. I like the feel of the case but as a person that sometimes has sweaty hands it seems like this case would slip from my grip?
The case is rubberized, and textured with a tile grip pattern... I'm not sure where you're going with this. short of a lanyard/wrist strap, I don't see how it could be any better.

acgr4me

Feb 25, 2010
Riverside, Ca
The case is rubberized, and textured with a tile grip pattern... I'm not sure where you're going with this. short of a lanyard/wrist strap, I don't see how it could be any better.

I was trying to say if you have sweaty hands or oily hands and you are gripping the phone does it tend to get slippery. I have had it a couple of days and so far I like it.
About dropping it. I know that with any fall no matter what the protection there is always a threat of damage. Just wondering if anyone has dropped it and if so what type of damage but I see that it has happened to you and it is good to know that it held up.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

letmehearucaw

Jan 24, 2011
I was trying to say if you have sweaty hands or oily hands and you are gripping the phone does it tend to get slippery. I have had it a couple of days and so far I like it.
About dropping it. I know that with any fall no matter what the protection there is always a threat of damage. Just wondering if anyone has dropped it and if so what type of damage but I see that it has happened to you and it is good to know that it held up.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I dropped my phone the other day (with this case on it) and as I tried to catch it, I ended up slamming it to the ground (I know, I'm stupid). But the case took the slam and only has a scratch to show for it. My phone is 100% ok.

Joe T

Nov 18, 2010
Fingerlakes, NY
Just wanted to say "thanks" for all the reviews! I got my case today and coming from a body glove I love the lower profile of this case. Think I spent $10 including shipping on Ebay for it.

Nov 23, 2010
+1 for the kickstand case. On clearance at the Verizon store for $10 and change including tax, which is within a buck of what I'd pay on eBay with shipping.

Fits tightly, kickstand is pretty solid (though I feel I could open it too far if I weren't paying attention) and works very well in portrait and landscape. Very low-profile. The phone in general feels more solid with the case on. No heavier, and no thicker, but the cheapish glossy slick feel of the stock battery case is replaced by that matte-black plastic grid that grips slightly better. Overall, a very, very nice buy for $10.

The only thing I'd gripe about is the clearance to the power button and the edge of the case. Makes it slightly difficult to turn it on with the right hand. It's easy to grip with the left hand and turn on with the index finger, but that's not how I normally hold the phone.

Oh, and no screen protector here. I didn't even put one on my Eris, which didn't have GG, and it got through a year in just a VZW silicone case without a single scratch. Just kept it in my jeans pocket separate from everything else, screen facing in (which is how you'd naturally put it in there). I don't anticipate it being a problem with the Fascinate.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It will not work in the OEM Samsung car dock or desk dock. No case made now or ever could do this, both require the phone depth and width to be absolutely unchanged.

The case should not be flush with the phone, the case corners wrap over the face of the phone, and as such if you set the phone face down, the screen will NOT be flat on the table, only the 4 corners of the case would be touching... the screen would be about 1/32" off the table.

I've been using this case for a couple months and love that it does not make the phone big and bulky, yet it offers a great amount of protection and the utility built into the kickstand is something that I could not imagine giving up. To me, this case along with some form of screen cover (Zagg is on mine) is the ultimate normal duty set up.

Sure, if your going to throw your phone face-first into the corner of your desk, drop it 3 stories, or drop it in a swimming pool... you may be the guy that should buy an Otter Box. For me, I hate the Otter Box,way too big. I like a thin and sleek phone, and with this case, you can have decent armor in a very attractive package.

Pictures:
    100_0103.jpg

100_0104.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0108.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0111.jpg

100_0116.jpg

100_0115.jpg

100_0114.jpg