[GUIDE][PSA] Google Play Services battery drain fix

Search This thread

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
If you're running a recent CM based or aosp ROM you've most likely encountered some pretty severe battery drain from Google Play Services (or Android OS as it sometimes shows up as). Below is a procedure that will halt the battery drain, but will not affect the running of your device.

Enter Privacy Guard through Settings/Security or Settings/Privacy, then click Advanced or Show Built-In Apps (depending on which ROM you're running). From here you can select Google Play Services and deny the Wake Up, Keep Awake, and Auto-Start options. Reboot phone. This should drastically reduce the amount of battery that Google Play Services and Android OS consume.

8e06eb5829fa52bbe2a195580211696d.jpg

If you're on a ROM that doesn't include Privacy Guard or App Ops as standard you need to take a slightly different approach. Download this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

Open the app and it should already be in the Activities tab, scroll down to Settings and click on it, that will open up a whole list of different options, scroll down to the App Ops option and click on that, hit the create button at the bottom of the screen.

This is going to add a Settings icon/shortcut to your home screen, click on that and you'll be taken into the secret App Ops section of the settings menu, from there just find Google Play Services and click on it, then disable the Wake Up and Keep Awake options. Reboot phone, no more Google Play Services battery drain.

14062f959709b826164520e67fc7de94.jpg

Please note: If you rely on your location being updated frequently then this method might not be right for you. This method disallows Google Play Services from waking your device every minute to obtain your location and Google Now cards are affected as a result. All other Google services should function normally.

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me

Transmitted via Bacon

Last edited:

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
This guide is a little excessive, the biggest battery killer for that app, especially if you use Google Now, is the wake ups permission, so denying just that will fix most of the battery drain. If you want to go the extra mile, denying the keep awake permission also which fix the other minor part and none of these fixes require root

EDIT: Just noticed you said AOSP, which doesn't have the wake up or keep awake permissions to deny IIRC, so what I said only applies to the CM ROMs

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
This guide is a little excessive, the biggest battery killer for that app, especially if you use Google Now, is the wake ups permission, so denying just that will fix most of the battery drain. If you want to go the extra mile, denying the keep awake permission also which fix the other minor part and none of these fixes require root

EDIT: Just noticed you said AOSP, which doesn't have the wake up or keep awake permissions to deny IIRC, so what I said only applies to the CM ROMs

While this may seem excessive, the fact is it works. My personal experience was that after changing the things mentioned that don't require root I still had Google Play Services draining my battery. As with anything though, mileage may vary. I'll add a note that the root section may or may not be required.

Forgive me for using a term (AOSP) that most XDA users associate with anything that's CM based. While it may not technically be 100% correct, it seemed to be in keeping with the vernacular used by your average XDA member.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Sent via Bacon

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
A much simple process (that doesn't require root) worked for me:

1. I used Privacy Guard to deny Google Services "Wake up," "Keep awake" and "Auto start."

2. Under Settings > Apps > Running I stopped all instances of Google Play services.

They still come back but aren't killing my battery with wakelocks. It seems to accord with what Calkulin said above.

Last edited:

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
A much simple process (that doesn't require root) worked for me:

1. I used Privacy Guard to deny Google Services "Wake up," "Keep awake" and "Auto start."

2. Under Settings > Apps > Running I stopped all instances of Google Play services.

They still come back but aren't killing my battery with wakelocks. It seems to accord with what Calkulin said above.

Like I said just above, mileage may vary. It's awesome if doing just that worked for you, but for others it isn't enough for some reason.

Sent via Bacon

Reactions: sparx

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
If you're running a recent CM based ROM you've most likely encountered some pretty severe battery drain from Google Play Services (or Android OS as it sometimes shows up as). Below is a series of procedures that will halt the battery drain, but will not affect the running of your device.

The first thing you need to do is to enter Privacy Guard through Settings/Security or Settings/Privacy, then click Advanced or Show Built-In Apps (depending on which ROM you're running). From here you can select Google Play Services and turn off everything except for location. This may or may not be enough, if you still suffer battery drain please move on to the next step.

5enapyqa.jpg

Please note: everything below this point requires root!

Next you need to download Android Tuner. Open it and pull out the side menu, scroll down to the Apps Manager section and select Application Startups. Open the box at the top and change it to All, click the button in the bottom-right until it says System, scroll to Google Play Services and select it, a huge list will open, scroll to very near the bottom and find the Wakeup option, uncheck the box.

pe3eza7e.jpg

Go back to the main menu of Android Tuner and pull out the side menu on the left, scroll down to the Apps Manager section and select Application Manager. Click the centre box at the bottom until it says System, scroll to find Google Play Services and highlight it, press the Manage button in the bottom-right and select Permissions. This should bring you to the Perms tab, swipe across to the Services tab. In this list you want to uncheck anything that starts with Ads or Analytics, you also want to uncheck anything that starts with com.Google.android.location.reporting as well.

je9yneha.jpg

umyza3e2.jpg

uvudu2e3.jpg

Sent via Bacon

Do these changes revert back to how they were before when cyanogenmod releases the next update to their ROM?

armand09265

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks a lot for this guide, it makes more help to maximise my battery life witch drains too much on aosp roms, i'll see how it changes.

knzzz

Apr 26, 2014
So what does it really affect? Is it to stop reporting data to Google for their analytic stuffs, e.g. ads personalization?

Blurkiler

May 30, 2012
Singapore
Just got my phone and saw this thread, haven't experienced any battery drain but I'll just apply this fix first just in case, thanks :good:

Quinnaay

Nov 2, 2013
I did what you said on the other thread doing "system tuner" first, and on the Android tuner i dont have the option to check/uncheck any ads etc?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're running a recent CM based or aosp ROM you've most likely encountered some pretty severe battery drain from Google Play Services (or Android OS as it sometimes shows up as). Below is a procedure that will halt the battery drain, but will not affect the running of your device.

Enter Privacy Guard through Settings/Security or Settings/Privacy, then click Advanced or Show Built-In Apps (depending on which ROM you're running). From here you can select Google Play Services and deny the Wake Up, Keep Awake, and Auto-Start options. Reboot phone. This should drastically reduce the amount of battery that Google Play Services and Android OS consume.

8e06eb5829fa52bbe2a195580211696d.jpg

If you're on a ROM that doesn't include Privacy Guard or App Ops as standard you need to take a slightly different approach. Download this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

Open the app and it should already be in the Activities tab, scroll down to Settings and click on it, that will open up a whole list of different options, scroll down to the App Ops option and click on that, hit the create button at the bottom of the screen.

This is going to add a Settings icon/shortcut to your home screen, click on that and you'll be taken into the secret App Ops section of the settings menu, from there just find Google Play Services and click on it, then disable the Wake Up and Keep Awake options. Reboot phone, no more Google Play Services battery drain.

14062f959709b826164520e67fc7de94.jpg

Please note: If you rely on your location being updated frequently then this method might not be right for you. This method disallows Google Play Services from waking your device every minute to obtain your location and Google Now cards are affected as a result. All other Google services should function normally.

aDlDoZJ.jpg

Donate To Me

Transmitted via Bacon
    Here's a true fix for the system update wake lock, so no special apps or even root needed

http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/themes-apps/mod-google-play-services-update-wake-t3078082

While this may seem excessive, the fact is it works. My personal experience was that after changing the things mentioned that don't require root I still had Google Play Services draining my battery. As with anything though, mileage may vary. I'll add a note that the root section may or may not be required.

Forgive me for using a term (AOSP) that most XDA users associate with anything that's CM based. While it may not technically be 100% correct, it seemed to be in keeping with the vernacular used by your average XDA member.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Sent via Bacon
    Hi Everyone,
    I did a gentle thread cleaning to remove some off topic posts. So it looked like there were a couple of things that were going on. So for starters, this thread is not a "what can we do to fix the battery drain" thread. It is about a very specific set of steps to fix a very specific problem. There maybe lots of other solutions to this problem as well, but they should get their own threads. Otherwise this thread will become a confusing jumble of solutions that will be very very very difficult to follow.

I think it should be allowed to ask about other solutions and propose ways to improve this method, but it will be up to the OP to decide to answer the questions and/or make updates to the guide. Lastly...not every disrespectful post was meant to be that way, people have different ways of communicating and with out the face to face interaction, it is really easy to take things the wrong way. Its always best to give the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks!