[GUIDE] Get Stock Recovery/Install OTA Updates without losing data.

Did this method work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 54 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 33.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

D4nyal

Jun 2, 2013
Hey Claudenegm,

I first want to thank you for creating the software Android Recovery manager.

I really want to install OTA update on my HTC Sensation 4g so I must have to get into stock recovery before doing it since it's rooted with CWM recovery but I can't find my mobile's stock recovery on the software so I would like to request you to add it into the software so I can install.

Here are the details about my HTC Sensation 4g:
It's from T-Mobile.
Software number: 1.50.531.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installing OTA updates while having Custom Recovery (ex. ClockWork mod) is not possible. You need Stock Recovery to install the OTA update.
    I'll be showing you how to install Stock Recovery, and how to get back to ClockWork mod, without the need of flashing a total new stock ROM (RUU).

Please read this very well before starting:
    * I'm not responsible about anything that may happen to your device, please don't follow this guide if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
    * This guide is for Windows users only. If you can get the official "recovery.img" or "recovery_signed.img" from somewhere else, then you can follow the guide (b) and start from step 5.
    * If you're on Custom ROM, this will not work for you. Go flash an RUU instead.
    * Please download the OTA update zip file before starting.
    * If you deleted any system apps before, doing an OTA update will probably fail with Status 7. In this case, you'll have to restore the deleted apps as they were. If it still doesn't help, you'll have to flash an RUU and then do the OTA update.
    * After flashing the OTA, you'll need to run Revolutionary to install custom hboot giving you permissions to flash recoveries and other things through fastboot. (IT IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO USE "Android Recovery Manager" to flash ClockWorkMod after updating)

To start, you can either follow guide "a" or guide "b". Following guide "a" is easier, safer and faster, I personally recommend it.
    (a)
    Getting stock Recovery using Android Recovery Manager
    1. Download Android Recovery Manager.
    2. Open the application.
    3. Click on Start!.
    4. Click on Download a recovery
    5. Select your Software Version from the list.
    6. The application will tell you what to do next.
    7. When the application finishes flashing, press <No> which will reboot into recovery.

Installing OTA Update
    8. When you see the (!) hold <Power> button and Press Volume UP. (If this doesn't work Press Volume UP then <Power> button)
    9. Go to "Apply update from sdcard" and press <Power> button.
    10. Choose your "update.zip" and press <Power> button.

(b)
    Getting stock Recovery manually
    Download your stock RUU from here or here.

If you don't have adb, please follow from step 1 to 3 in Step 4 in this thread.

1. Once you downloaded RUU open it and wait until you get to the "View Readme" page where there is the picture of an HTC device.
    2. Go to your temp folder (Generally on Win 7 it's in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp")
    3. Look manually for folders that have lots of characters in that format: "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX}".
    4. One of them should have another folder in it and 2 files, this folder should be in that same format "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX} too.
    5. There should be in that folder something named "rom.zip" or "firmware.zip", open it up, and extract the "recovery_signed.img" or "recovery.img" to your ADB folder which is usually in C:\adb
    6. Go to C:\adb and make sure that "recovery_signed.img" file is there. If not, repeat step 5.
    7. Open command prompt (Press the start Logo on your keyboard + R, then write cmd and press enter) and type "cd C:\adb" {without quotes}
    8. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure USB Debugging is On by going on your phone to Settings -> Applications -> Development and Check USB Debugging).
    9. Enter the command "adb devices". This is to confirm your phone is connected. (It should come back with list of devices attached and your serial number)
    10. Enter this command "adb reboot bootloader" and wait until it reads on your phone fasboot USB.
    11. Then enter this command "fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img" or "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" depending on the name of the .img you extracted and wait.
    12. Enter this command "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

You should have something similar to this.

Installing OTA Update
    13. After doing step 12, you'll be on fastboot and have BOOTLOADER highlighted. Press on <Power> Button.
    14. Press Volume Down, and highlight RECOVERY, then click <Power> button.
    15. When you see the (!) hold <Power> button and Press Volume UP. (If this doesn't work Press Volume UP then <Power> button)
    16. Go to "Apply update from sdcard" and press <Power> button.
    17. Choose your "update.zip" and press <Power> button.

Run revolutionary and then ClockWorkMod can be installed using ARM (Android Recovery Manager), just choose ClockWorkMod x.x.x.x from the download page and click "Download and Flash".

Hope it helped ;)
    Please vote and click Thanks if it did :)

Special thanks to prank1, f3nd3r and vslnweb :D
    No Recovery for Europe 1.45.401.3.

Can i flash Europe 1.45.401.2? I´ve tried this but it keeps on waiting for devices, and yes i got HTC drivers properly installed.

Cheers,
    PC

edit: manage to flash stock recovery back using the "b" method :), done the update and it worked.

Another question: future OTA updates will run automatically, or for every ota i must enter hboot and flash update.zip?
    Thanks.
    I have no idea why the application isn't detecting your device.. :/
    But anyway, I'll be adding the recovery for 1.45.401.3 very soon :)

You'll need to click on the Check for Software Updates button as each OTA gets released and follow the updates instructions.. You should flash the update.zip every time a new OTA is released. I'm not sure though.. If anybody knows anything about this, please prove me wrong ;)

Hope it helped :)
    Thanks for your feedback ;)
    My software number is: 1.34.771.1

Thanks.

This seems to be the RUU you need:
    "RUU_Pyramid_H3G_UK_1.34.771.1_R_Radio_10.43a.9007.00U_10.51.9007.27_M3_release_197065_signed.exe"

I couldn't find a better download link than this one, so..
    RUU_Pyramid_H3G_UK_1.34.771.1_R_Radio_10.43a.9007.00U_10.51.9007.27_M3_release_197065_signed.exe

Flash it at your own risk ;)
    If you need anything else, tell me :D
    I dont tested it but it CANT work ;-)

You push recovery_signed.img in your ADB folder and you are trying to flash an recovery.img ;-)

Just a little error .... but confusing for "noobs" ;-)
    I had original stock rom backup with super user after using revolutionary tool with s-off no super cid. My hboot was 17.1111.1. After using tmobile 1.29.9351 recovery image it ran through process and said done, wait for phone to reboot in to recovery, however it just reboot into stock rom 1.45.9035.1. The OTA 14mb by t mobile was there to install. It install and said sucessfully update to 1.50.9035.1. I attempted to reboot into recovery but triangle with red popped up. With power button and volume button held it shows Locked, Pryamid PVT SHIP S-OFF RL, HBOOT 1.18.0000. I tried several times to run revolutionary tool which I used before coping and pasting generated key, however it continues to say invalid key. Question 1, with s-off show why is it locked and what can be done to get root again.

Read the sticky about this. You will find that you need to install clockwork mod recovery (5.0.0.8) by copying its P58IMG.ZIP file to the root folder of your SD card, then rebooting into hboot (Down volume+power key) and pressing Up volume rocker to flash. Delete the P58IMG.ZIP file from your SD card, then you will be able to go into recovery, flash su, and be rooted again.

Yrs,
    dkephart

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium