Straight talk lg optimus dynamic

Search This thread

settlethestorm

May 22, 2010
East Lyme, CT
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble finding any resources on how to root my Straight Talk Lg L38C Optimus Dynamic. I've used the search function on the xda app with no luck. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my LG-L38C using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kathig

sjakubos

Nov 24, 2012
Very little info

I too have found very little info on this phone. I don't own one but my brother picked one up and he is having problems installing apps. The problem is that apps go to "System memory" which only has 160MB. There is also 1GB "Internal memory". Some apps can be moved to internal however it only takes a few apps that can't be moved to fill the meager 160mb system memory and now you can't install any more apps. Mean while the 1gb internal memory sits nearly empty. Anyone got any advise?

settlethestorm

May 22, 2010
East Lyme, CT
I agree. That is the same reason I want to root! By far a great phone for the price, but moving apps to the sd would be outstanding! Once again, any advice or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

momerat99

Dec 22, 2012
I found that another thread on xda has root method for lg optimus logic only difference is logic gsm dynamic cdma so i am waiting for a reply to see if its cool i hope so root looks pretty straight forward

settlethestorm

May 22, 2010
East Lyme, CT
I found that another thread on xda has root method for lg optimus logic only difference is logic gsm dynamic cdma so i am waiting for a reply to see if its cool i hope so root looks pretty straight forward

Let's hope they can at least shed some light on it!

Reactions: ceanogrady

momerat99

Dec 22, 2012
root forr lg optimus logic works for lg optimus dynamic

well i went ahead and risked trying the root for lg optimmus logic found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35809739&posted=1#post35809739 on my lg optimus dynamic and this root method worked for my phone so far so good removed a few apps with titanium and everything seems fine i guess the only difference between these two phones is the logic is gsm and the dynamic is cdma thanks for all of your help everyone

settlethestorm

May 22, 2010
East Lyme, CT
well i went ahead and risked trying the root for lg optimmus logic found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35809739&posted=1#post35809739 on my lg optimus dynamic and this root method worked for my phone so far so good removed a few apps with titanium and everything seems fine i guess the only difference between these two phones is the logic is gsm and the dynamic is cdma thanks for all of your help everyone

Can't thank you enough for trying that! I'm going to do it later tonight.

momerat99

Dec 22, 2012
No prob now i have also found that wifi tether works now and no more play books or play music yessssssss

sd_matto

Jun 27, 2006
rageagainstthecage exploit works

Rooted this phone with rageagainstthecage exploit.

Can either do it manually, or using SuperOneClick 1.65. Google is your friend to find a guide.

Coming from a Samsung S950c; this LG Dynamic rocks on basic functionality (root-ability, network download speed (newer ROM radio, me thinks), to name a couple). Screen resolution isn't that hot, though. Love the size, though.

I have pulled all 22 partitions to my SD card via dd command. Can make available as needed.

Has anyone found a working recovery (CWM or TWRP)? I am too chicken to try out the one out there for the generic L3 E400.

And, has LG released the source code for this phone (I could not find it on LG's site)?

Last edited:

ken winston caine

Jan 4, 2013

Probably a super naive noob question. However, does App2SD not work on this phone? MUST I root the phone in order to move apps off the system memory and to the SD card?

I ask because I have just found this phone at a Walmart about 60 miles away and am planning on buying it. But I am not understanding some of the terminology in the instructions at http://androidarea51.com/***-all-th...ck-root-recovery-superuser/msg10550/#msg10550. And it is not clear to me if following those instructions -- once I understand them -- will work on the Straighttalk LG-l35c , since the "one-click" root is designed for the "g" version of this phone. However, I suspect there is no difference in the basic software and hardware between the two models other than that which has something to do with GSM vs. CDMA and which should not in any way be affected by rooting the device. (Art least, seems that way in my limited understanding of all of this.)

Can anyone confirm that:

-1- App2SD does not let you move apps off system memory?

-2- That the "one-click" solution I provided the URL for earlier works without complication on the CDMA version of this phone?

Thank you very much.

-- ken

ken winston caine

Jan 4, 2013
Thank you, Momerat99, for clarifying re: Apps2SD and for confirming that the One-Click root works for the Dynamic as well.

Have never personally rooted a device and so am a bit wary of trying. But am recalling that in my early computer days (early-mid '80s), before Mac and long before Windows, we worked at root level almost all the time. So I shouldn't be so wary, I think.

My current tablet was delivered to me rooted and with Uberoid installed. I've enjoyed the benefits of the "rooting": but did not gain the understanding or experience of doing the actual rooting.

Live off the grid and the only phone service available to me is cell via Verizon working off the old Alltel tower. Have been waiting and waiting for Straight Talk (and related America Movil companies) to offer a smart phone that would work on Verizon. So glad that such an affordable one is now available. (Likewise, only real internet available to me is via a wireless co-op with speeds limited to about 1 MB/s up and down.)

Am tempted to tether to the Dynamic and see what speeds I can get. But don't want to risk getting booted off Straight Talk for doing so since then I would be without phone at home (from which I also work). No landline here. Phone company wanted $35,000 to run landline cable to me in '02 and I opted not to pay that. Back then, Alltel was in business and delivered strong, reliable 5-bar cell here..

I actually may not get great speeds via the phone at home. Will have to find out. Before the wireless co-op, I was using a Verizon "aircard" for internet. It delivered speeds faster than typical dial-up but not fast enough to stream a YouTube video or allow a Skype conversation. That was in '03-'04 era. Same card, same laptop, in major cities while on the road, delivered what I considered blazing fast speeds back then. Think I clocked it at 800 kbps then in New Orleans and Phoenix and in several other cities. It MAY be that the Verizon data signal still will be poor here on my land. Will have to find out. My property is 12 miles from the tower, but I have clear line of sight. I notice no difference in speed here and in town using Verizon's funky, very slow "mobile web" on Straight Talk on my current non-Android phone.

Looking forward to finding out and to making a Dynamic work like it should. Will probably be back with more questions as I begin fiddling with it. Going to pick it up next trip to Albuquerque -- sometime in the next week.

Grateful for the help.

Reactions: kathig and Rasa11

momerat99

Dec 22, 2012
lg optimus dynamic

Thank you, Momerat99, for clarifying re: Apps2SD and for confirming that the One-Click root works for the Dynamic as well.

Have never personally rooted a device and so am a bit wary of trying. But am recalling that in my early computer days (early-mid '80s), before Mac and long before Windows, we worked at root level almost all the time. So I shouldn't be so wary, I think.

My current tablet was delivered to me rooted and with Uberoid installed. I've enjoyed the benefits of the "rooting": but did not gain the understanding or experience of doing the actual rooting.

Live off the grid and the only phone service available to me is cell via Verizon working off the old Alltel tower. Have been waiting and waiting for Straight Talk (and related America Movil companies) to offer a smart phone that would work on Verizon. So glad that such an affordable one is now available. (Likewise, only real internet available to me is via a wireless co-op with speeds limited to about 1 MB/s up and down.)

Am tempted to tether to the Dynamic and see what speeds I can get. But don't want to risk getting booted off Straight Talk for doing so since then I would be without phone at home (from which I also work). No landline here. Phone company wanted $35,000 to run landline cable to me in '02 and I opted not to pay that. Back then, Alltel was in business and delivered strong, reliable 5-bar cell here..

I actually may not get great speeds via the phone at home. Will have to find out. Before the wireless co-op, I was using a Verizon "aircard" for internet. It delivered speeds faster than typical dial-up but not fast enough to stream a YouTube video or allow a Skype conversation. That was in '03-'04 era. Same card, same laptop, in major cities while on the road, delivered what I considered blazing fast speeds back then. Think I clocked it at 800 kbps then in New Orleans and Phoenix and in several other cities. It MAY be that the Verizon data signal still will be poor here on my land. Will have to find out. My property is 12 miles from the tower, but I have clear line of sight. I notice no difference in speed here and in town using Verizon's funky, very slow "mobile web" on Straight Talk on my current non-Android phone.

Looking forward to finding out and to making a Dynamic work like it should. Will probably be back with more questions as I begin fiddling with it. Going to pick it up next trip to Albuquerque -- sometime in the next week.

Grateful for the help.
im sorry for the mix up but the only way i have sucessfully rooted the lg optimus dynamic and lg optimus logic was following this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963232 i have not personally tried the one click method on this device but the tutorial in the link is pretty straight forward and worked like a charm as far as tethering goes i am also in a situation that i have to rely on my phone for primary internet source i have not been kicked off the network but they have throttled my speed quite a bit but after me downloading large files like crazy so i kinda get it im going to refill the card in a few days and well see if my speed is also renewed as far as tethering apps go i have been using pdanet / foxfi [wifi dosent work but bluetooth dose] / easytether [you have to pay to get full feature ] /and after root android wifi tether works i use this everyday getting on xbox live downloading and surfing and i feel like for once i am getting what i pay for from a phone company although like i said if you get too crazy they will throttle you i was watching crackle on xbl with no buffering when i first got the phone but once i was throttled i have found streaming anything is nearly impossible so im just hoping that they reset my speed when i renew and im gonna not get so crazy on the downloading this time and see how it goes once again sorry for the mix up and i hope some of this info helps

sd_matto

Jun 27, 2006
Another root method

For those of you who like to carry your root solution on your phone with you, giantpune has adapted his "Poot" rooting solution from the LG Optimus Elite to the Huawei Ascend 866c Straight Talk phone, and this poot-debug.apk works on our LG38C (Optimus Dynamic) as well (even though the screen is wonky due to the resolution issues with our 240x320 screen).

For the .apk, please go to http://androidforums.com/ascend-y-a...root-huawei-ascend-y-h866c-3.html#post5418113 (and donate to giantpune at his link, if his solution helped you).

For directions on how to use giantpune's Poot method, there are lots of guides out there on how to use Poot, but I summarize briefly below (and I mean BRIEFLY):
1. Install poot-debug.apk (make sure Settings -> Applications -> Unknown Sources is checked on; also, may want to make sure that you have Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging checked on too)
2. Install Ministro II (from Google Play market; there are links out there for those who don't have market access).
3. Open Poot on your phone. The GUI will look wonky because of our phone's weird, small screen resolution. Allow Poot to download its required libraries.
4. When Poot has downloaded its libraries, click on the button (only left half of button will show due to screen resolution) that says "Poot"
5. Close out of program. Reboot phone.

If you want to check on root, you can use Poot's built-in rootchecker, or you can download rootchecker from Play Market.

First thing you will want to do after rooting phone is download Superuser (from Google Play Market), and update the su binary (under the "Info" menu). Once that is done, you are updated and good to go.

If you want to use SuperSU instead of Superuser as your su managing GUI, then do all steps above, THEN download SuperSU (from Google Play Market), then run SuperSU and allow SuperSU to update the su binary when it asks, then close out of SuperSU and uninstall Superuser (to avoid any conflict between su managing GUIs).

If the above helped, then please do NOT thank me, but please consider thanking and/or donating to giantpune at the link above; without his hard work, this solution would not have been possible.

Oh, and though I haven't tried it, I am pretty sure that the above method would also work on the LG Logic (L35) Straight Talk phone. If anyone can use and report, that would be great.

EDIT: Tried it on a friend's LG Logic, and it works on that phone too. Yay!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another root method

For those of you who like to carry your root solution on your phone with you, giantpune has adapted his "Poot" rooting solution from the LG Optimus Elite to the Huawei Ascend 866c Straight Talk phone, and this poot-debug.apk works on our LG38C (Optimus Dynamic) as well (even though the screen is wonky due to the resolution issues with our 240x320 screen).

For the .apk, please go to http://androidforums.com/ascend-y-a...root-huawei-ascend-y-h866c-3.html#post5418113 (and donate to giantpune at his link, if his solution helped you).

For directions on how to use giantpune's Poot method, there are lots of guides out there on how to use Poot, but I summarize briefly below (and I mean BRIEFLY):
    1. Install poot-debug.apk (make sure Settings -> Applications -> Unknown Sources is checked on; also, may want to make sure that you have Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging checked on too)
    2. Install Ministro II (from Google Play market; there are links out there for those who don't have market access).
    3. Open Poot on your phone. The GUI will look wonky because of our phone's weird, small screen resolution. Allow Poot to download its required libraries.
    4. When Poot has downloaded its libraries, click on the button (only left half of button will show due to screen resolution) that says "Poot"
    5. Close out of program. Reboot phone.

If you want to check on root, you can use Poot's built-in rootchecker, or you can download rootchecker from Play Market.

First thing you will want to do after rooting phone is download Superuser (from Google Play Market), and update the su binary (under the "Info" menu). Once that is done, you are updated and good to go.

If you want to use SuperSU instead of Superuser as your su managing GUI, then do all steps above, THEN download SuperSU (from Google Play Market), then run SuperSU and allow SuperSU to update the su binary when it asks, then close out of SuperSU and uninstall Superuser (to avoid any conflict between su managing GUIs).

If the above helped, then please do NOT thank me, but please consider thanking and/or donating to giantpune at the link above; without his hard work, this solution would not have been possible.

Oh, and though I haven't tried it, I am pretty sure that the above method would also work on the LG Logic (L35) Straight Talk phone. If anyone can use and report, that would be great.

EDIT: Tried it on a friend's LG Logic, and it works on that phone too. Yay!

Grateful for the help.
    root forr lg optimus logic works for lg optimus dynamic

LG Optimus Dynamic LGL38C

As some of you have stated there are differences between the Logic and Dynamic the One that stands out the most is Logic(GSM) Dynamic(CDMA) but there are other differences also Kernel modules and compile for one. We have made One Click Root, CWM Install and Custom Unlocked Kernel specifically for the Dynamic now, and we have a Custom Rom that will be ready to beta test I myself have the Dynamic and the rom installs and runs fine. if you would be intrested in becoming part of the AreaRom Dev Group as a Beta Tester please stop by and sign up for our site and come visit us in IRC Chat (we have our own network with webchat) Find Us HERE We Hope to see some of you soon.
    Apps2sd works non-rooted but some apps still can't be moved /the root method for the logic works for dynamic as well i am using rooted dynamic now