[MOD][RECOVERY] Custom MTD Partitions (resize Data,System and Cache ) [ 2010-10-29 ]

Search This thread

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
i can make the changes without unzipping the rom file (i'm using ubuntu), the archive manager updates the zip file to incur the changes, would it work this way with having to resign it?

ps: man you should really think about opening your own school to teach this shish :D

The answer to your question specifically as you have written it is "yes", however, I doubt that you are asking the question you wrote. I suspect you are asking if it would work withOUT having to re-sign it.... in that case, the answer is *no*.

You need to realize that you aren't seeing what is actually going on in the background. It IS unzipping and rezipping in the background.

That and the fact that the signature isn't just a static thing on a file -- it is actually an encrypted table of checksums, and when you add or alter any file within the zip, that table of checksums will no longer match what is in there.

IN FACT, you can UNZIP and REZIP the archive, leaving all files UNCHANGED, and then the signature will still be good.... if that were NOT the case, then adding the signature itself would change the signature and you'd be boned.

Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAR_(file_format)

Note: JAR = zip.

bubert

Nov 28, 2008
Cluj-Napoca
i can make the changes without unzipping the rom file (i'm using ubuntu), the archive manager updates the zip file to incur the changes, would it work this way with having to resign it?

ps: man you should really think about opening your own school to teach this shish :D

Check your PM please and help me if you can :) Thx

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009

errm not sure

me personally

Code:
unzip rom.zip
mv data/app_s system/app
mv data/system-framework system/framework
vim META-INF/com/google/android/update-script
zip newrom.zip boot.img system META-INF -r
signzip.sh newrom.zip

where signzip.sh
Code:
java -jar ~/bin/signapk.jar ~/bin/testkey.x509.pem ~/bin/testkey.pk8 $1 YOUR_PREFIX`basename $1 .zip`_S.zip

the YOUR_PREFIX is optional, but you should at least have _S so you know you signed it ;)

Edit,
Ohh and have a look at the AutoMTD, so you don't have to mess about flashing the boot patcher ;)
( infact use that instead of the signzip.sh ;) )

Last edited:

jaikat

Nov 26, 2009
thanks for the tips guys, i'll work on it and report later

but seriously, thanks :)

asb123

Dec 15, 2009
Vancouver
quick question, it seems like i have less space to install apps when using this mod, is it drawing the extra rom space from the internal memory? so if i want more space for apps i should just lower my system number?

juangil

Jan 29, 2009
PhOeNiX ArIzOnA
quick question, it seems like i have less space to install apps when using this mod, is it drawing the extra rom space from the internal memory? so if i want more space for apps i should just lower my system number?

yes, just make your system 10-15Mb larger than the rom you are installing and the rest will be on data (for apps)

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009

Less space than WHAT?
A 90 MB system and a 2 MB cache will yield you ~118 MB userdata. DeathSPL will only yield you ~100 MB userdata.

billquinn1

I have a quick question about erasing system.
My USB is borked and I can't use it for data access anymore (no SD access no adb and no fastboot). Could I erase system from the console in RA1.7.0 and if so what would be the command? I would rather not flash clockwork.

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009
I have a quick question about erasing system.
My USB is borked and I can't use it for data access anymore (no SD access no adb and no fastboot). Could I erase system from the console in RA1.7.0 and if so what would be the command? I would rather not flash clockwork.

in short no

clockwork's partition formats are much more comprehensive, but even so you have two fall backs, the first being adb shell where you can 'manually' erase_image and the second is fastboot erase

I really can not recommend this if you can't use usb, and I certainly don't recommend using RA recovery as the current version ( 1.7.0 at time of typing ) simply mounts the partitions and deletes files, which *will not* get you out of trouble.

I trust you have exhausted all avenues in getting usb working..

if you want to try this, then you do so at your own risk, but I really should impress that clockwork is your best option and you must format system/data and cache before resizing, and after reboot. If you don't and you can't access your phone via usb you *will* get stuck............

Firerat

Feb 24, 2009

I honestly didn't think this concept was so difficult to grasp

let me try and make it easy for you to understand

I have a pizza, I cut it up into 210 equal slices.
I must give cache at least 2 slices, leaving 208 to share between system and data.
if I give system 90 slices then data can have 118 slices
if I give system 80 slices then data can have 128 slices

edit
btw, I pinched a bit of pizza when I was cutting it and as data is last they get a slice which is slightly smaller
also worth noting that you each need to give 1 and a bit slices to the dog, else you can't eat in peace ;)

the dog's name is yaffs2

Last edited:

billquinn1

in short no

clockwork's partition formats are much more comprehensive, but even so you have two fall backs, the first being adb shell where you can 'manually' erase_image and the second is fastboot erase

I really can not recommend this if you can't use usb, and I certainly don't recommend using RA recovery as the current version ( 1.7.0 at time of typing ) simply mounts the partitions and deletes files, which *will not* get you out of trouble.

I trust you have exhausted all avenues in getting usb working..

if you want to try this, then you do so at your own risk, but I really should impress that clockwork is your best option and you must format system/data and cache before resizing, and after reboot. If you don't and you can't access your phone via usb you *will* get stuck............

I have tried everything I can safely. I have to be careful with no fastboot to fix something if I break it. I will just have to skip out on this mod for now.
I might be able to talk my wife into switching G1s with me so I can continue the fun.
I wish he would include some of the "extras" in clockwork that are in RA or vice versa.
Thanks for the warnings.

billquinn1

I honestly didn't think this concept was so difficult to grasp

let me try and make it easy for you to understand

I have a pizza, I cut it up into 210 equal slices.
I must give cache at least 2 slices, leaving 208 to share between system and data.
if I give system 90 slices then data can have 118 slices
if I give system 80 slices then data can have 128 slices

edit
btw, I pinched a bit of pizza when I was cutting it and as data is last they get a slice which is slightly smaller
also worth noting that you each need to give 1 and a bit slices to the dog, else you can't eat in peace ;)

the dog's name is yaffs2

Which part of the pizza is /dev from?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Custom MTD Partitions
    This is an implimentaion of lbcoder's Custom partition layouts
    be sure to checkout that thread for the full history

What does it do?
    Well, basically Custom MTD Partitions resizes your MTD partitions
    for instance this is a CM6.1RC1, ( heavily customised )
    Code:
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/block/mtdblock3     73.0M     72.8M    236.0K 100% /system
    /dev/block/mtdblock5    134.8M    107.2M     27.6M  80% /data
    /dev/block/loop0        896.0K    896.0K         0 100% /system/lib/modules
    /dev/block/loop1          4.0M      4.0M         0 100% /system/xbin
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2    457.4M    201.8M    231.1M  47% /sd-ext
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p2    457.4M    201.8M    231.1M  47% /cache
    /dev/block/mtdblock4      2.0M    776.0K      1.2M  38% /dev/cache
    most of my Apps are on sd-ext, dalvik-cache is on data
    /dev/cache is where the real cache partition is mounted, /cache is actually a bind mount from /sd-ext/cache

Applicable to..
    Probably any device that uses the same kind of nand as the G1 MT3G ( msm_nand )
    The intial scripts are geared towards G1 / MT3G. however I have 'rewritten' much of the script for v1.5 , it now reads the partition table in dmesg, so it _should_ be universal **
    v1.5.3 confirmed to work on heroc
    v1.5.6 confirmed to work on bravo + bravoc ( with S-OFF )
    unsure if it will work with your device? checkout the source on github ( or ask your favourite dev to take a look )

The 'Tech' in Breif
    This method is beautifully simple...
    When booting we give the kernel the mtd partition table we want to use..
    Thats it :)
    In practice we need to do this when booting to recovery, and booting the rom.
    below are files to make this as simple flashing a rom.

Credits :-
    • Lbcoder - for coming up with the idea
    • Skraw ( CM forums ) - for getting lbcoder interested :)
    • Koush - for AnyKernel
    • Cyanogen & Co - for giving us all such great ROMs to play with
    • Amon_RA and Koush - for giving us something to patch
    • Techjosh - for fixing the patchers for use with Rogers (EBi1)
    • Mblaster - for pointing out my nasty habit of using -r zip flag at the end of command ( breaks compatibility with older zip versions, fixed in AutoPatcher v1.5 )

Safety First
    This method is safe, however it is not without risk
    Two things could potentially go wrong
    • Recovery flash corrupt
      This is extremely unlikely, and tbh could happen anytime you flash recovery
      If in the very unlikely event that you find you can't reboot to recovery you have three options
      • re-flash recovery via fastboot ( the preferred option )
      • re-flash recovery via ROM ( not a great option with cm5.0.x/cm6 )
      • Do the whole root thing all over again ( no one wants to do that )
    • system, cache , data partition unmountable - corrupt
      Under the right ( or wrong ) circumstances it is possible to get 'junk' files stuck in system ( or cache,data ), and in such away that recovery can not delete them, more serious corruption can render the partitions unmountable.
      It is actually quite straight forward to fix this, but it does require fastboot
      Code:
      fastboot erase system -w
      Clockwork Recovery 2.0.2.0 and later has erase_image binary, if you can adb shell in then
      Code:
      for i in system cache userdata;do erase_image $i;done
      and reboot
    I would advise you seek out how to 'fastboot', which tbh is a good thing to have regardless of using this 'hack' as it can get you out of so much trouble :)

*NB* don't use a patched recovery to flash SPL or RADIO ( you should avoid using recovery to flash these anyway, feel free to ask for current advice on spl / radio flashing )

Prevention is better than cure
    I have only managed to corrupt partitions when switching partition layouts while having files on cache or data, for example going from System 67.5 Cache 67.5 to System 90 cache 5 with
    cache approx 80% 'used'...
    I have not been able to repeat this if I wipe Cache before rebooting,
    therefore I advise that you wipe both cache and data * after patching recovery ( and rebooting )
    * along with system if you are using clockwork

OK, now lets patch recovery and a ROM :)

Install Instuctions
    It really is quite simple
    1. download FR-recovery-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip and FR-boot-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    2. create mtdpartmap.txt and put on /sdcard/ see configuration *
    3. reboot to recovery
    4. nandbackup
    5. wipe cache + data
    6. flash FR-recovery-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    7. reboot to recovery ( reboot and hold Home )
    8. Either : -
      • Nandrestore
      • Flash ROM + extras
    9. flash FR-boot-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    10. reboot

* configuration
    The script in the recovery patcher checks for /sdcard/mtdpartmap.txt and reads that to override the default sizes.
    e.g. for system 90mb and cache 2mb
    NB make sure you mount sdcard first, else you won't write to sdcard/mtdpartmap.txt !

Code:
    echo "mtd 90 2" > /sdcard/mtdpartmap.txt
    data would be 117.8mb ( 116.7 useable )
    e.g. for system 55mb and cache 2mb ( Purhaps a nice 'sugar free' Donut ;) )
    Code:
    echo "mtd 55 2" > /sdcard/mtdpartmap.txt
    data would be 152.8mb ( 151.7 useable )
    NB, above data sizes are for G1s, MT3Gs should add ~78mb

All In One Patch runner ( New to v1.5.3 )
    new option to run the All In One Patch script ( versions 1.3.6 and higher )
    the format is
    Code:
    aio <option1> <option2> <option3>...
    e.g.
    Code:
    aio swap remount shabang lwp
    By default it will install the sd-ext mount ( option sdext )
    so a line just reading aio will be fine

Note: the patch must be on the root of the sdcard, and its file name must start with "fr-patch" and end with ".txt"
    if you have several versions the newest ( as per files datetime stamp ) will be used

Faking your SPL

If your using an SPL that is not officially supported by your ROM and that ROM checks your SPL you can 'patch' to fake it.
    Code:
    echo "spl 1.33.2005" >> /sdcard/mtdpartmap.txt
    note that we are using ">>" here, this is to append to the file ( ">" would overwrite it )
    you can by all means use any text editor you like, the script will automatically convert to unix format
    NOTE : you are dodging the checks the ROM dev put in place, do not complain to them if this doesn't workout for you
    in post 2 I have some 'CM6' Kernels I compiled for (1)0.95.xxxx SPLs
    but I will only likely do these for RCs and Finals ( and there maybe a delay ).
    In that post I point you towards the 'SafeSPL' ( 1.33.2003 ) this SPL is compatible with the current CM6 kernels ( so no need to wait for me or someone else to compile with bluetooth as modules ), but 1.33.2003 is not 'officially' supported ( its stock at 67.5mb system ) so you need to Fake your SPL ( say 1.33.2005 ) and resize to 90mb system ( or whatever you feel is optimum )

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
    Downloads
    .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

http://tinyurl.com/customMTD
    aab0fadf658ed275954aea8d0aed9c8f FR-AutoMTD_partitionPatcher_v1.5.6.tar.bz2
    8857194cdbe34a52d173def4441ad2ae FR-AutoMTD_partitionPatcher_v1.5.6.zip
    1f84a5ec50684a7830a93a8d455bc159 FR-boot-rpp-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    bca0360f91aed0acf6e2dc82dfe01b56 FR-boot-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    94b4238c2668cbe7cd52fb8ad5a2ee12 FR-recovery-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip

5404f1a41dbc60105d59c7fa0c335a70 FR-remove-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip

NB New Config option !!! to automatically run fr-patch136+
    e.g.
    Code:
    mtd 90 2
    spl 1.33.2005
    aio swap remount shabang lwp a2sd

ROM Zip Patcher for Devs
    To make life even simpler for end users it is possible to integrate the 'patch' within a ROM
    AutoMTD_partitionPatcher_v1.5.6.zip
    currently Linux only,
    within the zip is a tarball, untar that.
    get that directory into your PATH, ( or just cd into it )
    and then execute
    Code:
    PatchUpdateScript.sh <zip file to patch>
    it will then
    1. create a temp directory ( in your current directory )
    2. copy your zip to it
    3. extract required files
    4. patch update(r)-script
    5. zip and sign.
    It simply saves the user from flashing the boot patch after flashing your ROM

The Future....
    lbcoder has already suggested ways in which we can implement this 'on the fly'
    so for instance it would be possible for a ROM , to instruct recovery what MTD partition layout is required, reload mtd kernel modules, and then flash ROM + boot.img

for those with huge partitions
    Hey, you could go all silly and dual boot between ROMs .. ;)

Anyway, enjoy and feel free to modify/improve on these

Changelog

v1-5-6 : 2010-10-28
    • Calculate userdata size, greatly improves compatibility
    • Added a version to patch a boot.img ( boot-rpp ) with run-parts
      didn't want to , but some are using roms which don't have run-parts, so the 06BindCache script wasn't running
    • Added a remove version ( remove )
      flashing this will return the recovery to SPL's layout
      I may well integrate that better, so you don't need a separate zip
    • AutoMTD_partitionPatcher can convert a recovery.img to a AutoMTD flashable zip
      PatchUpdateScript.sh <full path to>/recovery.img
    • boot patcher is much cleaner, it just uses the cmdline of the running recovery
    • removed the default 90 2 sizing, you *must* set your own size in mtdpartmap.txt
    v1-5-4/5
    • added stuff
    • removed stuff
    • moved stuff
    • see v1-5-6
    v1-5-3 : 2010-08-13
    This should be last version we need ;)
    v1-5-2 : 2010-08-0
    • Bug fixes
      • recovery was getting written to boot ( flash_image <partition> is now a variable )
      • typo in env variable was causing cache and data calculations to fail
    • AutoMTD now prints version number ( when flashing patched Zip )
    • tided up system "0x" 'fudge' ( to be compatible with trout/sapphire fall back )
    • removes temp files from memory when done

v1-5-1 : 2010-08-06
    • Bug fixes, had an extra '0x' on the system start + functions had wrong env var for the location of dmesg derived partition map
    v1-5 : 2010-08-06
    Version numbers brought into sync
    • Zipe Filename - 'reordered' ( easier to see version numbers in CWR )
    • AutoMTD Patcher - changes as per boot Patcher + zip recursion fix ( my bad habit, thanks go to mblaster for pointing this out )
    • Boot Patcher - cleaned up cache bind mount
      • Now supports leagcy /system/sd mount point
        [*]supports ROM Manager ( real cache partition mounted on /dev/cache, recovery dir symlinked from 'fake' to 'real' cache )
    • Recovery Patcher - can 'fake' your SPL ( see configuration )
    • Recovery Patcher - creates more noise ( advise wipe and reboot )
    • Single Patcher script ( so I don't have make the same changes to three different files that essentially do the same job )
    • No longer 'Hardcoded' to 32[a/b] Partition Layout ( figures out SPL layout via dmesg ) **
      uses original boot/recovery img's base configuration ( i.e. EBi0 and EBi1 compatible )

=< v1.4
    • Recovery Patcher v1.3, added SPL faker
    • Boot Patcher v1.2, fixed oversite where boot.img was not 'dumped'
    • Recovery Patcher v1.1 initial
    • Boot Patcher v1.1 ( was a fail, it didn't patch boot.img on CM roms as the tmp boot.img was deleted, my fault for just using the AutoMTD Patcher's script ( which runs before the tmp boot.img is deleted )
    • Boot Patcher v1 initial

Todo
    • - 2010-08-13 redundent ( launching AIO script ) - I might add some stuff to cm5/6's backup routine via the Auto patcher, things like the "All in One" installed scripts: 05mountsd and remount
    • windows compatible AutoMTD script ( meh, I hate batch scripts )
    • - 2010-08-13 DONE - thinking of adding a config option to launch the "all in one" script, but have to make that recovery compatible first

Downloads

mediafire downloads
    http://tinyurl.com/customMTD
    aab0fadf658ed275954aea8d0aed9c8f FR-AutoMTD_partitionPatcher_v1.5.6.tar.bz2
    8857194cdbe34a52d173def4441ad2ae FR-AutoMTD_partitionPatcher_v1.5.6.zip
    1f84a5ec50684a7830a93a8d455bc159 FR-boot-rpp-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    bca0360f91aed0acf6e2dc82dfe01b56 FR-boot-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    94b4238c2668cbe7cd52fb8ad5a2ee12 FR-recovery-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip
    5404f1a41dbc60105d59c7fa0c335a70 FR-remove-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip

The attached files are OLD
    Custom MTD FAQ

FAQ
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Q my SPL starts with 0 or 10, and I want to try CM5.0.8 or/and CM6. DO I need to do anything extra?[/b]
    A yeap, it seems the newer kernels are just a bit too big for x0.95.x00x SPLs, you can get round it with the below kernels. And to flash CM6 you need to 'fake' your SPL ( see configuration in OP ) or edit the updater-script. faking is easier.
    However, I would recommend the 1.33.2003 SPL ( you still need to fake your SPL, but you won't need the 'special' kernels )
    guide for flashing 1.33.2003 SPL by Ezterry

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
    2010-07-11
    I have compiled a kernel, which I hope is NoneDanger compatible
    the source is simply CyanogenMod's github, I have taken the config from cm6rc1, and simply changed the bluetooth to modules
    this approach has worked in the past
    It is pre-patched with AutoMTD, so just flash cm6rc1, then flash this
    FR-CM6RC1-bootimg4NoneD-AutoMTD.zip(MD5: 386D9A05A3C0FFC08E5B3F844D437AA7)
    mirrors
    http://rapidshare.com/files/406402016/FR-CM6RC1-bootimg4NoneD-AutoMTD.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/?152jnqwyme3
    2010-07-27
    NoneDanger compatible Kernel for RC2
    FR-CM6RC2-bootimg4NoneD-AutoMTD.zip (MD5: 7858a8a8d126919318d1718c6e5167ec )

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ttxfcocsti3mma3/FR-CM6RC2-bootimg4NoneD-AutoMTD.zip

I'll have to dig out the src
    2010-08-15
    NoneDanger compatible Kernel for RC3
    2010-08-17 ( Sorry, old one had a status6 bug :( )
    New one here
    87F160F08FCD2233DDD40FBFC50D3711 FR-CM6RC3-bootimg4NoneD-AutoMTD.zip
    src = http://github.com/CyanogenMod/cm-kernel/tree/48c57f11abaaf3de6c81f6f5c44cfe2637251184
    no modifications its straight cm ( besides the config, which you can get from the compiled kernel or zcat /proc/config.gz )

*NB* don't use a patched recovery to flash SPL or RADIO ( you should avoid using recovery to flash these anyway, feel free to ask for current advice on spl / radio flashing )

Q do I need to flash both of the files each time I install a new rom?

A No, you only need to flash the recovery patcher once, unless you want to resize or you install a new recovery.
    the boot patcher *must* be flashed after you have installed a new ROM or Kernel update

Q my cache looks odd in df, I see two and its the same size as data or sd-ext, is something wrong?

A everything is fine, since we shrunk cache its no good for things like the Market, so a script is installed to 'bind mount' cache with /sd-ext/cache or data if sd-ext is not mounted.
    it actually turns out that /cache is not actually used in CM6, so I might adapt the script a little in a future release.
    EDIT: as of version 1.5 the cache bind mount script mount 'real cache' separately, which should reduce confusion

Q When I tell ROM Manger to do something in recovery, it just reboots to recovery and does nothing. it used to do the action but not since I installed CustomMTD

A yeah, nearly forgot about that, I was going to fix it last week, basically ROM Manger writes commands to /cache, but its writing it to our bind mount so.. when recovery boots it doesn't see the commands.
    In all honesty that one hasn't been pointed out to me yet, :) but yeah I can fix it..
    EDIT: as of version 1.5 the cache bind mount is compatible with ROM Manager
    The Scripts

'source' is now available on github

http://github.com/Firerat/CustomMTD

errm, tbh I'm not all that clued up on it yet
    why do you need to remove custommtd to flash the new ram hack? I have both and I'm very happy with it atm.

You have to remove it, when you want to flash radio / spl using recovery and not fastboot, otherwise cache partition is not big enough to flash the radio / spl.

@elfasio: did you reboot to recovery after applying the FR-remove-v1.5.6-CustomMTD_S.zip otherwise there is still the 'old' partition layout. You should also do a

fastboot erase system -w

after changing partition layout, otherwise you could mess up things.
    Where can I find the remove .zip? Searched the forum but nada. I need to update my radio.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lifib6a9ptj5j#2,1

firerats the link.
    enter to v1.5.6. and there is the zip you're looking for