Micro USB Cable: They all break. Any help?

Search This thread
Sep 4, 2012
This happens to me as well... the metal micro connector bit becomes loose, causing an unstable connection. Thankfully I've found cables at the dollar store, although it seems that they don't last nearly as long. Just gotta be really careful with them I suppose.

I do still have my original HTC cable, that one seems to have been made really well. They're nuts if they think I'm going to buy a replacement for $20-$30 when it finally does give out, though.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda app-developers app

THE_KINGDOM

Sep 20, 2011
OnePlus 11
What? They cost ten at the most....

Well regardless of how much these cables cost, they break all the time. Parts inside the micro USB end are far too delicate. I go through cables all the time, and then the connection is weak and I have to fiddle with the cable to get it to charge. overall it's a pain, they should build these cables more sturdy.

rlmesq

May 13, 2011
What? They cost ten at the most....

From a few pages back... Monoprice.com sells high quality microUSB cables in various lengths for less than a dollar each. They're much better than the dollar store products.

They also sell many other connectors, like HDMI cables, for a few dollars, as opposed to the $20-200 you'd pay for the overpriced Monster Cable products at a place like Best Buy.

The shipping is the same whether you buy one cable or a couple dozen, so I just stock up on stuff I use... for instance, I got color coded HDMI and Ethernet cables for my AV system when I was buying USB cables last time around.

At those prices, you can have USB cables everywhere -- in your car for charging, either from a USB power adapter or a built in port, your computer bag, and everywhere else you might want to plug into a USB port for power -- and it doesn't matter if you lose our break one.

Reactions: loveflower

s0m3dud3

Aug 12, 2012
I must say, I have had issues with cables breaking, however, I tend to find the Sony Ericsson ones the most sturdy as they last the longest

zemko

Jul 29, 2012
Prague
I have 3 microUSB cables and I have them for 2+years and thea are still in good condition, one costs me about 1.5$. But microUSB wall chargers are worse, I bought 2 from eBay from China and one stop working after 3 months :(

crashff

Dec 8, 2010
I kept losing my cables, never had one stop working though. I ended up buying 2 dozen 3' cables from monoprice. I kept 4, sold the rest, and made my money back :)

ryanjv

Oct 7, 2012
Brampton
What the heck do you lot do with those cables? :eek:

I've only ever had one micro USB cable die on me, and it only did so because I 'accidentally' dripped hydrochloric acid on it...

Seconded. I've got oem and ebay $0.99 cables that are 2 or 3 years old and never had an issue. I have a cable and/or charger in every room and not one has failed. Did you people also go through lots of video game controllers? I always leave slack especially when wrapping. My wife tried to blame the cable but I scolded her because I saw that she stretched it to hell from incorrect wrapping.

Take care of your things and they'll take care of you

Also for those wanting oem. Ebay has them for a few bucks

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

my3fox

Oct 20, 2012
I still have my original Nokia cable and it work fine with me. I keep samsung cable for electrical charge only as I affraid to lose the socket plug.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

S

snowman77

My USB cables generally break quickly so I have a a few cheap ones to use with charging etc and the original cable for ROM flashing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Z

Zibbsy

I agree with the OP, my cables always "break", but as described, they kinda just stop working but work when put in at certain angles.

I just bought three from an ebay seller for £1.98 haha, once for my pc, charger in bedroom and charger in the living room.

JefferyTeo

Aug 21, 2012
Kuala Selangor
These cables are fragile, if removing them from mobile/devices by pulling on the cable, they break easily, Have to be delicate by holding on the connector itself when removing, this can guarantee a longer life.

GherkinSavorus

Jun 8, 2012
You might try looking for some used BlackBerry cables. I have limited experience but the BB cables that came with my old Storm 2 seem to be a notch above anything I've seen from Samsung or LG in terms of manufacture and quality. I use the BB cables at home and leave my Samsung cabling in the box, for the most part.

Sent via Tapatalk on LiquidSmooth Galaxy Nexus

Roy Long

Nov 22, 2012
These day, I shop around in the Internet as to prepare for the Christmas gifts. I just find that there is a shop called DSstyles. They offer a lot of accessories like USB cable, dock station, jack plus, etc. All of them are amazing. Also, I think their cable may suit you. I also want to buy one cable and a phone case from it. But I have not bought it yet. Anyone know this brand? Is it good or not? :fingers-crossed:

Iamshanty

May 27, 2012
It comes down to:

1. How you coil/wrap the cables.
2. How you handle the connection ports when plugging devices in.
3. Angles.

If you notice you put cables in at certain angles, and it becomes habit, sections of the connection ports can wear down. Be careful of them. Cables aren't indestructible, it's as simple as that. They can get worn down, just like anything else.

mingkee

The way to stow cable is important.
Wrap around the palm of the hand like coiling and tie the center won't break the cable.
I have tens of cables and I never break ANY OF THEM.
Go figure.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I have 3 microUSB cables and I have them for 2+years and thea are still in good condition, one costs me about 1.5$. But microUSB wall chargers are worse, I bought 2 from eBay from China and one stop working after 3 months :(

I seldom use individual USB charger because I know how to use powered USB hub as centralized USB power supply.

dbreezy187

Apr 15, 2012
Somerset
I buy one every 3 months they all break... so to say... move the device it disconnects so rather than waking up to a dead phone the first time it happens I throw them away and buy a new one... The expensive ones the cheap ones it doesn't matter

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

Raging Raptor

Nov 21, 2012
I've still got cables from 3 years ago that I still use so I don't see how you can be going through so many of them

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:
    21A0F8EolnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!
    Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:
    21A0F8EolnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!

TOTALLY agree with you... been through soooo many cables.... at first I thought oh no its my phone but then I tried another cable and it worked.... I must have been through about 15 cables in the past couple of years... its crazy that no one makes a high quality micro usb cable
    I just buy cables from Monoprice. They seem to be just as good as name-brand cables, but they're really cheap... like a fifth the cost of generic cables from a big box store,, and a small fraction of the ripoff premium cables.

When I order, I just stock up because shipping is about the same if you're buying one cable or dozens.
    OP - find a connector housing made in one piece.

Wow, what unhelpful posts from our colleagues. I hate when people post useless responses to my inquiries. "I don't have that problem" or "Use it differently/more gingerly." are sooo not helpful responses. OP, I agree: You should be able to use a micro USB cable in a normal fashion and it should be relatively durable - it shouldn't break when you twist it a little or unplug it without being super careful. It's a phone - not a piece of delicate china.

That being said, OP you might try the cables from Belkin. I have had decent luck with durability of those cables, although they are not of the design I like (Belkin is two-piece construction).

I have found that cables with one piece construction (plastic housing) on the micro side hold up the best. To explain: notice on the picture you posted that the cable has a seam on the micro USB side's plastic housing. This means the plastic housing was constructed in 2 pieces, stamped together. I find that the metal micro USB connector comes loose and wiggles in the plastic housing when it is made from 2 pieces (seam, stamped together). When the plastic housing is a single piece (no seam), it is usually more durable. Also, if you find one made of hard plastic, not of rubbery plastic, those are more durable

The photo attached is a jawbone micro USB connector of one piece design (no seam around the plastic). It is pretty durable. Unfortunately this cable is really short. This cable is also made of rubbery plastic, so I don't expect it to stand up to much normal use.
    Back to a post several pages ago... just go to Monoprice.com and stock up. Their cables are higher quality than the ones at dollar stores and cheaper, too... plus they have an assortment of lengths.

While you're at it, pick up some HDMI cables for a couple of bucks apiece, instead of the $20+ you'd spend at Best Buy (or more, if you pay extra for Monster Cable hype).

Shipping is flat rate, so you pay the same whether you buy one cable or dozens. I buy a big box of cables once a year and always have spares for projects, new equipment and friends in need.