FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Post Reply Email Thread
BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation
Informations
  • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
  • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Cpasjuste For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cpasjuste Ad-Free
20th December 2013, 02:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Will this work for 8.9 hdx?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
20th December 2013, 02:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,355

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggamonkey

Will this work for 8.9 hdx?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Oups, forget to specifiy that i have the 7" model ...
Dunno, the main and most work is in the "services.odex" file, so maybe it's the same on both devices ! Is safestrap available on the 8.9 ? If there is a way to recover from "system" tricks then i could find the time to recompile this file for you guys.
20th December 2013, 02:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpasjuste

Hi,

after a lot of work this night i finally got everything up and working including working play store downloads !
Here is a simple howto, i'm sure confirmed users won't have problems to get it working, and for other i'm sure there will be other howto in the next few days

BE SURE TO WORK ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

So here we go !

• Start from a stock, clean backup
  • Remove a few system apps (amazon mp3, slik browser...) to free space on system partition for gapps else it won't completely install
  • Install gapps from recovery : gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip
  • Remove "/system/app/SetupWizard.apk" to bypass gapps welcome screen as it depends on stock "Settings.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/MarketIntentProxy_1010.apk" (not sure if needed)
  • Replace "/system/framework/services.odex" with this one (recompiled with signature check disabled) : services.odex
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.odex"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.odex"
  • Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProvider.apk to "/system/app/"
  • Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProviderUI.apk to "/system/app/"
  • Update google play games services to version 4.0.34 (not sure if needed anymore as it will probably be downloaded from playstore)

If you get some fc, try clearing cache and dalvik cache. I will maybe try to build a custom rom from that but time will probably miss me !
I'm sure that confirmed hackers here will get it working with the provided files and write a better howto soon

Enjoy and merry Christmas !

You may have just given me the excuse I needed to root...
21st December 2013, 04:30 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-Chum

You may have just given me the excuse I needed to root...

Can't download cm download provider files...I flashed zip and nothing? I'd rather change system files but can't download necessary files

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
21st December 2013, 08:03 AM |#6  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Works like a charm
Tried this on my 64GB version 7" KHDX.. works..
21st December 2013, 11:03 AM |#7  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 72

More
I'm on my maxed out HDX 7" too, works, here's a bit of report...

Playstore: Works great

Gmail: opens, then crashes. Won't open again. This was uninstalled then reinstalled fresh from Play Store, same thing.

Chrome: opens, tries to sync account, crashes, won't open again.

Google Plus: works great

Photos: works fine

Google Search/Now: works great, but can't see the notifications. Blame Amazon.

Google Play Games: seems to work

Google Play Music: seems to work fine

Google News Stand: seems to work fine

QuickOffice: works fine

What's weird is the apps that you said you deleted from the script? They're still there when I rebooted. Weird, eh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kschang For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kschang Ad-Free
21st December 2013, 11:10 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,355

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschang

I'm on my maxed out HDX 7" too, works, here's a bit of report...

Playstore: Works great

Gmail: opens, then crashes. Won't open again. This was uninstalled then reinstalled fresh from Play Store, same thing.

Chrome: opens, tries to sync account, crashes, won't open again.

Google Plus: works great

Photos: works fine

Google Search/Now: works great, but can't see the notifications. Blame Amazon.

Google Play Games: seems to work

Google Play Music: seems to work fine

Google News Stand: seems to work fine

QuickOffice: works fine

What's weird is the apps that you said you deleted from the script? They're still there when I rebooted. Weird, eh?

Strange, then there's probably a problem in the script. I'll try to fix that but i'm actually working on making a rom with all amazon stuff (apk, services) removed, which i did succeed ! I will focus on that if i have the time this afternoon (as everything is working) then we will see.
30th December 2013, 08:15 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Kindle HDX 7
Wow, Finally I was able to follow Android Cowboys instruction on rooting,and installing the necessary applications to get playstore working on my Kindle HDX 7. I'm happy to say everything worked out fine able to download from playstore,my Gmail,and Apex launcher working perfectly.Thank you all for your hard work it's greatly appreciated.
30th December 2013, 08:32 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I have tried a number of time so get Android Cowboys method to work but I continue to get error messages. Were you rooted or did you get play store w/o root? You have SafeStrap installed also?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)