FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FLASHABLE ZIP] Google Gapps + Amazon AppShop - HDX 7", 8.9" (Thor, Apollo)

960 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,355

By Cpasjuste, Senior Member on 20th December 2013, 02:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th February 2014, 02:19 PM |#271  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Worked for me too
[QUOTE=BroncoAG;50107856]For anyone who wants to know. I have a 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9. I rooted my kindle then used KindleFree to install google services. . .

I installed Google Apps in ROM Slot 1 using Kindle Free on my 64GB HDX 8.9. After rooting and installing SafeStrap, I ran the Xposed module, installed HDXposed-1.1and ran Kindle Free (available for free on the HD forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2072198). Serendipity is a wonderful thing. Play Store, Gmail, YouTube work. Chrome doesn't work. Haven't tried other apps yet.

Thanks to Stericson.
10th February 2014, 03:53 AM |#272  
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Checked the device id... TiB says it did change. So it may be possible to change it back... But how to restore the registration data?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
10th February 2014, 08:18 PM |#273  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
[QUOTE=BobJayJr;50178452]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAG

For anyone who wants to know. I have a 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9. I rooted my kindle then used KindleFree to install google services. . .

I installed Google Apps in ROM Slot 1 using Kindle Free on my 64GB HDX 8.9. After rooting and installing SafeStrap, I ran the Xposed module, installed HDXposed-1.1and ran Kindle Free (available for free on the HD forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2072198). Serendipity is a wonderful thing. Play Store, Gmail, YouTube work. Chrome doesn't work. Haven't tried other apps yet.

Thanks to Stericson.

I am not sure I follow. Did you use the Kindle Free app on two different devices? A 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9 which was rooted and Kindle Free applied directly, no SafeStrap, and a 64GB Kindle HDX 8.9 to which you ran SafeStrap and applied Kindle Free to a ROM slot.
11th February 2014, 03:14 AM |#274  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
hi AIschOr, i have the same "kindle upgrading" message during booting also. in fact, it took a few minutes to get out of that. however, it did not seem to affect the running of the system once booted up. i saw quite a few HDX owners (7 or 8.9) experiencing this issue once they added gapps. i have not seen a solution yet. here is what i have learned playing with the hdx89. (1) the "kindle upgrading" only appeared AFTER the gapps zip file was flashed into the FireOS (and not before that). (2) after the initial flashing of the cpasjuste's gapps zip file, the "kindle upgrading" message went away quickly (like 30-60s). (3) however, as i installed more google apps, the time it took the upgrading message to go away at boot increased to a few minutes.
11th February 2014, 07:54 AM |#275  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,355

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fslee62

hi AIschOr, i have the same "kindle upgrading" message during booting also. in fact, it took a few minutes to get out of that. however, it did not seem to affect the running of the system once booted up. i saw quite a few HDX owners (7 or 8.9) experiencing this issue once they added gapps. i have not seen a solution yet. here is what i have learned playing with the hdx89. (1) the "kindle upgrading" only appeared AFTER the gapps zip file was flashed into the FireOS (and not before that). (2) after the initial flashing of the cpasjuste's gapps zip file, the "kindle upgrading" message went away quickly (like 30-60s). (3) however, as i installed more google apps, the time it took the upgrading message to go away at boot increased to a few minutes.

Could someone try to "chmod -R 777 /data/dalvik-cache" as root to see if it could solve the problem ?

Envoyé de mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk
11th February 2014, 10:48 AM |#276  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
I have the Kindle is upgrading message also. It takes almost one minute for my Kindle HDX 7 in to load up. What I found that helped this was not to use Gapps. What I did is on the stock rom I used a suggestion from another forum member on installing GAPPs at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...577826&page=17 Post 168.

On the Rom slot-1, I used Gapps Zip to see if I was correct in my theory and I was. I don't get it on my stock rom because I installed the Google PlayStore differently using this member's suggestion: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...577826&page=28 Post 271. What's interesting is that the Amazon ads returned only when the Kindle goes into hibernation.

However, in not installing the Gapps Zip you give up wallpapers. I can't get wallpapers to work on my stock rom since I didn't use the Gapps Zip. Wallpapers do work on my Rom Slot 1 where the Gapps Zip is installed. I get the Kindle is upgrading message and Amazon ads are back when the Kindle goes into hibernation, not on reboot.

So, I just deal with it. I'm glad to have the Playstore and the other little issues I just try not to let it bother me.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech6 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tech6 Ad-Free
11th February 2014, 12:23 PM |#277  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
I always get kindle upgrading and then starting applications. But everything works and the kindle is a pleasure.. I have it as my stock rom . your the best Cpasjuste.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
11th February 2014, 03:22 PM |#278  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
hi cpasjuste, i saw your chmod 777 suggestion early on and i tried it already some days ago. however, i did it using ES file explorer. just now, i tried it again the 2nd time via an adb shell as root under linux. the chmod -R command went as expected. upon rebooting, the same "kindle upgrading" appeared and lasted for 2-3 minutes. once booted up, i check the permissions. (1) the /data/dalvik-cache directory reverted to 771. (2) the files inside dalvik-cache now have mixed modes - some 777, some 644. is it possible this upgrading message has to do with what is ALREADY there in the internal storage partition?
11th February 2014, 03:32 PM |#279  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJayJr

I am not sure I follow. Did you use the Kindle Free app on two different devices? A 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9 which was rooted and Kindle Free applied directly, no SafeStrap, and a 64GB Kindle HDX 8.9 to which you ran SafeStrap and applied Kindle Free to a ROM slot.

The user was trying to quote me on what he did for his. I have a 32GB HDX 8.9 that I rooted, used kindlefree to install google play services and then installed HDXposed 1.1 all without safestrap. Everything has worked fine on my tablet including all google and amazon services that I have tried. I have not tried gmail or chrome.
11th February 2014, 07:58 PM |#280  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Yes
[QUOTE=pilmoore;50215352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJayJr

Yes, two different devices, a 8.9" HD and a 8.9" HDX. Both rooted. SafeStrap only on the HDX. KindleFree was applied to ROM Slot 1.

BTW I downloaded the Chrome App from Android Cowboy's Website and it worked. In fact Playstore later updated the app.
12th February 2014, 04:39 AM |#281  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So.. new first time android and kindle user here. I just received my kindle today. After a few hours of reading, I've managed to come pretty far.

Thus far I have my stock rom backed up and I'm running flashed THOR GAPPS on romslot 1 Got everything working...but now I realized I didn't partition enough space for all my compulsive app downloading. Is there anyway to expand the partition size of my rom 1 data slot now? Since I keep getting messages that I don't have enough space to download apps.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)