[Q] is xperia play 2 really coming..

Search This thread

xperiax10.awesome

Nov 20, 2010
Singapore
Hi guys,
I just want another phone, I have got PS VITA but I cud not carry it everywhere daily, I was thinking abt buying xperia play, but read somewhere that xperia play 2 might b released soon..
What u guys suggest?

EDIT: I purchased XPERIA PLAY !! :)

Will see if PLAY2 will come or not !!!
I like something like this one..

dg4ewm.jpg

Last edited:

bouncynemoss

Nov 12, 2010
I would probably get an xperia play (used). if you really want a play 2 you can sell your used xperia play for roughly the same amount you bought it for (i got mine for $150 usd). Honestly i won't know what a play 2 will have to offer. Cause xperia play 1 can already emulate PS1 and n64. I highly doubt we'll ever get ps2 emulation anytime soon since PC has trouble emulating that... So yeah you'll just be able to play some 3rd party android apps a little bit faster.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
And I read that they won't release a Play2, it only makes sense for Sony since they would 'lose' money from the emulators. So I bought the Play anyway despite I coud have saved the money for the Galaxy S III.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
IF (and its a big IF) a Play 2 is coming its at least a year away. Sony has already said they are NOT working on it yet. So I would not base my decision on that thing showing up. They may never even make one.

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
Every time i adhere more to TLRTheory's... Well, theory: the Xperia Play is a growing gaming platform on its own, so we shouldn't only consider it as an emulator + phone, or an Onlive controller + phone, but it has a good catalog of Android games optimized for it as well.

TDMaster

Apr 25, 2009
Ramat Gan
Sony would have to release Xperia Play 2 at some point cuase games size and quality are just getting better and wont work on the Single Core CPU plus the lack of memory..

i think every1 are willing to wait for XPeria Play 2 with good specs and larger screen :)

Sniper Spr3e

Dec 25, 2011
Sony would have to release Xperia Play 2 at some point cuase games size and quality are just getting better and wont work on the Single Core CPU plus the lack of memory..

i think every1 are willing to wait for XPeria Play 2 with good specs and larger screen :)

actually im not waiting for an xplay 2 im perfectly happy with it currently.

i also would not buy it if it had a larger screen as it ruins the point of it being an xperia play you might as well carry a vita if the screen was any bigger.

also specs dont bother me really i know you need them to run more demanding games but its working perfectly at the moment isnt it. dont fix it if it aint broken and we have a good year left of it not being broken

ff7fan4eva

Mar 1, 2011
Manchester
I would probably get an xperia play (used). if you really want a play 2 you can sell your used xperia play for roughly the same amount you bought it for (i got mine for $150 usd). Honestly i won't know what a play 2 will have to offer. Cause xperia play 1 can already emulate PS1 and n64. I highly doubt we'll ever get ps2 emulation anytime soon since PC has trouble emulating that... So yeah you'll just be able to play some 3rd party android apps a little bit faster.

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THIS?

The original PS2 had a 294MHz CPU but worked well because the software was designed around the hardware properly. Computers 100x as powerful will still struggle to emulate a PS2 game because they are not optimized for specific hardware or designed by the original manufacturers of the software (Sony) meaning they have to create drivers for basic things to work and then optimize them over time and also emulate the architecture of the systems CPU.

The new smartphone CPU's are powerful but the software is not optimized for them so performance can be slow.

The reason the PS1 emulator works for our phones is because optimized for the CPU/GPU combo, a PS2 emulator could do exactly the same thing on our phone now, if sony made an optimized emulator

Nhialor

Jun 17, 2009
Dublin, Ireland, Ireland
IF (and its a big IF) a Play 2 is coming its at least a year away. Sony has already said they are NOT working on it yet. So I would not base my decision on that thing showing up. They may never even make one.

That's not true, I remember seeing an interview with one of the heads of Sony Ericsson before they got bought over talking about what is going to happen after the buyout and one of the questions was will you release an xperia play 2 and he said, if my memory severs me right, that we are happy with sales and are working towards a 2nd.

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC

The original PS2 had a 294MHz CPU but worked well because the software was designed around the hardware properly. Computers 100x as powerful will still struggle to emulate a PS2 game because they are not optimized for specific hardware or designed by the original manufacturers of the software (Sony) meaning they have to create drivers for basic things to work and then optimize them over time and also emulate the architecture of the systems CPU.

The new smartphone CPU's are powerful but the software is not optimized for them so performance can be slow.

The reason the PS1 emulator works for our phones is because optimized for the CPU/GPU combo, a PS2 emulator could do exactly the same thing on our phone now, if sony made an optimized emulator

We've been over this before. The hardware of the PS2 is much more complicated than megahertz and megabytes. It has a very complex architecture that is very difficult to emulate. What takes the PS2 1 clock tick to do takes a cpu/gpu 10 ticks. There is also concurrent processing going on inside PS2 that rely on specific timing that makes emulation even more difficult.

Long story short, a PS2 emulator will never happen for this phone. It just isn't going to happen. It has nothing to do with "optimizing" the emulator, and everything to do with the ps2 hardware being emulated.

CTU_Loscombe

Apr 4, 2010
Sunderland
We've been over this before. The hardware of the PS2 is much more complicated than megahertz and megabytes. It has a very complex architecture that is very difficult to emulate. What takes the PS2 1 clock tick to do takes a cpu/gpu 10 ticks. There is also concurrent processing going on inside PS2 that rely on specific timing that makes emulation even more difficult.

Long story short, a PS2 emulator will never happen for this phone. It just isn't going to happen. It has nothing to do with "optimizing" the emulator, and everything to do with the ps2 hardware being emulated.

I agree.
Hell, even emulating the Sega Saturn is difficult. The PS2 would be a whole different ball game

Sent from my Xperia Play using xda premium

Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
PS2 Emulation

The reason the PS1 emulator works for our phones is because optimized for the CPU/GPU combo, a PS2 emulator could do exactly the same thing on our phone now, if sony made an optimized emulator.

What we are forgetting is that even the PS3 doesn't have flawless PS2 emulation. I am a late adopter to the PS3 but I have read around about people sayin only some PS2 games work on a PS3.

Now if Sony with all their money, resources and patents are struggling to produce emulation (to the point they stopped it) for the PS2 it means probably that it's a real ***** to emulate even with certified Sony hardware/software.

PSX games though work fine apparently but I am yet to try out Tekken and tell you.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
What we are forgetting is that even the PS3 doesn't have flawless PS2 emulation. I am a late adopter to the PS3 but I have read around about people sayin only some PS2 games work on a PS3.

Now if Sony with all their money, resources and patents are struggling to produce emulation (to the point they stopped it) for the PS2 it means probably that it's a real ***** to emulate even with certified Sony hardware/software.

PSX games though work fine apparently but I am yet to try out Tekken and tell you.

I thought they stopped the PS2 backward compatibility so they could make more money off ported PS2 games?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Don't worry, future console won't have the ability to play used game and won't sport optical drives.

Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire
Don't worry, future console won't have the ability to play used game and won't sport optical drives.

Seriously! That's BS though, how will be able to play any DVD or Blu-ray discs if Sony have discontinued the optical slot. That's atrocious!

And no wonder why stores like GAME and Gamestation which survived only on tangible media are failing because many of us have diversified to Steam and the PS store.

I thought they stopped the PS2 backward compatibility so they could make more money off ported PS2 games?

They probably have but many games which were amazing on the PS2 have yet to see HD branding including the GTA collection (III,VC,SA), the Tony Hawk collection (THUG,THUG2,THAW) and the James Bond collection (Agent under Fire, NightFire, Everything or Nothing).

To summarise both I would say Sony aren't going the best way with this, at least Microsoft made the Xbox somewhat compatible. Anyway I have enough thread derailing for now, back onto the Xperia Play 2 which could be really awesome if Sony play their cards right!

Jul 2, 2011
Oxfordshire

I agree optimisation is definitely key and with smartphone specifications getting increasingly better we could see some really demanding and powerful games running on the Xperia Play at a decent framerate (the thread in the PCSX2 forum showed Grand Turismo 4 as a very demanding game and apparently never ran at full speed even on the console it was designed for).

Hold on! How do you emulate PlayStation games on an Xperia Play with the lack of L1, R2? And how will we be able to emulate PlayStation 2 games with a lack of L1, R2, L3 and R3?

I also hope that Sony are smart with specs and throw in Tegra 3 and 2GB RAM to keep everything silky smooth. All though they probably won't because of concerns over battery life <sigh>.

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
Hold on! How do you emulate PlayStation games on an Xperia Play with the lack of L1, R2? And how will we be able to emulate PlayStation 2 games with a lack of L1, R2, L3 and R3?

I use the L button for L1, the R button for R1, the left volume key for L2, the right volume key for R2, the Back button for L3 and the Search button for R3, and it works quite nicely :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cant wait for an xperia play 2... maybe with psp joystick instead of those weird touch joystick...

fast enough for psp emulation? :)

The general rule of thumb is that a device has to be at least 9 times faster/better than the original in order for emulation to be possible with a decent framerate. Although there are plenty of other complications, of course.

So I assume that by PSP emulation you mean the original PSP-1000 which had these specs as shown on the link below:

PSP-1000 Specifications

CPU: 1~333 MHz MIPS R4000 (MIPS appears to be similar, but not the same as ARM)

RAM: 32MB (or 0.032GB)

Okay so let's give it the 9 times treatment!

CPU:

0.333*9=2.997GHz

The Xperia Play has a dual-core 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon and I think the PSP-1000 has a single core processer rather than double, but I think it looks like that emulation would not work from a CPU point of view, especially when the phone would not only run the emulator, but also the ROM and the Android OS and all those applications that you are running.

If Sony change their mind and insert a quad-core chip it would certainly be more feasible, I am hoping for the Tegra 3 but knowing them it would probably be the next quad-core Snapdragon.

RAM:

0.032*9=0.288 (0.288GB or 288MB) the current Xperia PLAY has 512MB of RAM.

I believe that next Xperia Play may have 1GB (or maybe even 2GB) so I think that the RAM would be sufficient for emulation. Currently on the standard Play it could work well providing you keep multitasking down to a minimum.

Conclusion:

I am no expert at emulation or emulators and many people on XDA (and other forums) would be 100 times better at understanding these sorts of things. But I still think I have given a good approximation which is a good place to start from.

I believe that the Xperia Play probably wouldn't be able to emulate the PSP-1000 that well but if there is next one it might. Having said that there are a lot of other factors aside from the specifications and only time and expertise will really tell if this would work or not.

That's got to be the longest and most detailed post I have ever done on any forum. Be sure to hit "Thanks" if I helped!
    Hi guys,
    I just want another phone, I have got PS VITA but I cud not carry it everywhere daily, I was thinking abt buying xperia play, but read somewhere that xperia play 2 might b released soon..
    What u guys suggest?

Sent from my LT15i using xda premium

I wouldn't worry about an Xperia Play 2 any time soon ;)
    Well that's cool to know, I bought FPSE a while ago (back when there was an Android Market) and if I get an Xperia Play I would definitely go back to it.

Although it would be nice if it emulated Jinx with a better framerate and more stability, it still feels like early days for unofficial PSX emulation.

Out of curiosity Jackebott, how does the official emulator get around those L2,R2 mappings? It just sounds a bit crude for Sony to simply use the volume rocker for it.

I barely used the official emulator at all because of the horrible graphics bugs when using unofficial games. If my memory is correct (don't count on it :p), I think it actually does use the volume buttons for L2 and R2, but I'm not sure.
    That was a Play Station potable old fake-fan art

Sent from my R800a using xda premium