How is LG when it comes to SW updates?

Search This thread

ermond012

Jul 6, 2013
Malabon City
Hi guys, just a new LG user here. How is LG when it comes to SW update? Are the updates through OTA only or any PC or laptop application like Sony's PC Companion or Sony Update Service? And does LG carry the newest UI and apps they have on their latest phone like G3's flat UI carrying over to let's say G2 on a SW update like how Sony and Samsung are doing? Sorry really have no ideas when it comes to LG. Please bear with my noob questions. :D

Sent from my LG-D618 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Hi guys, just a new LG user here. How is LG when it comes to SW update? Are the updates through OTA only or any PC or laptop application like Sony's PC Companion or Sony Update Service? And does LG carry the newest UI and apps they have on their latest phone like G3's flat UI carrying over to let's say G2 on a SW update like how Sony and Samsung are doing? Sorry really have no ideas when it comes to LG. Please bear with my noob questions. :D

Well the update to kit Kat actually came pretty quickly so that gets thumbs up from me.

Problem is LG release an update then that is shipped to your carrier who then has to test it and then release to it a customers and that is what takes the time.

This means that when LG release the update to when you actually get it can take many months and sometimes you never get it.

None if this applies to carrier free or rooted phones.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

ermond012

Jul 6, 2013
Malabon City
Well the update to kit Kat actually came pretty quickly so that gets thumbs up from me.

Problem is LG release an update then that is shipped to your carrier who then has to test it and then release to it a customers and that is what takes the time.

This means that when LG release the update to when you actually get it can take many months and sometimes you never get it.

Ah yeah, I've read lots of SW update concerns re locked units and mine is is also locked with a network here in the Philippines. Hopefully my network is fast in pushing SW updates as well as LG as I like the G3's UI.

Sent fron my Sony Xperia™ Z1

DoctorB0NG

Nov 11, 2013
Madison
Hopefully we get Android L within a similar time frame to what HTC is claiming (90 days after official AOSP repos are pushed)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ermond012

Jul 6, 2013
Malabon City
Hopefully we get Android L within a similar time frame to what HTC is claiming (90 days after official AOSP repos are pushed)

That would be great if they would follow HTC on the release updateof Android L. Actually guys I'm a G2 mini user. I just posted here on G2 section as there are only few members that are in the G2 mini section. Guess the mini isn't that popular at all.

treebill

Jan 28, 2011

as I posted HTC or anyone could release an update days after official Google release it could and probably will take months to filter down to consumers.

it's one thing that temped me to the nexus but needed up with the g2.

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011

I bought this until I saw how quickly the Moto X got updated. Hell the Samsung phones got KK well before the G2.

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
I bought this until I saw how quickly the Moto X got updated. Hell the Samsung phones got KK well before the G2.

LG did get the update out in reasonable time scale.

New devices do get updates faster to keep them competitive and as I said more goes into an update other than any manufacturer releasing it.