Thanks Meter: 0

By nuuneoi, Junior Member on 26th November 2008, 06:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th November 2008, 08:30 PM |#21  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuuneoi

I know what you mean but if I wanna destroy another one phone using my app, I can post the fake source code and publish the another one, right? So it's all about the credit.

Search my name "Sittiphol Phanvilai" using google or any search engine and you will see who I am and how trust I am.

Cheers,

I wouldn't trust my mom's binary if it asks me for a root password.
If we have the source code, we can make sure it doesn't have bad stuff in it, and compile our own binaries.

26th November 2008, 08:38 PM |#22  
Flag San Tan Valley, Arizona
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I agree that the source would be nice for an app that asks for root, but damn ppl. stop being so damned rude. "Source code please"??? At least make a full sentance out of it. The author has of yet not shown malicious intent, so give him the benefit of the doubt and ask with a little respect. If you do not want to use it, DONT. If he wants to release the code he will.

As a side note to the author. They are right (even if they are asking somewhat rudely) that the source code for this is probably needed to establish trust for the app. Yes you could switch it, but someone else could build the "fake" source and compare it. This app seems to have a lot of power once given root and could have a backdoor for later havok. Looks like a nice app, so I am hoping you do decide to release the source on it.
26th November 2008, 08:42 PM |#23  
OP Junior Member

More
Although this is not first time I feel bad from develop application and distribute it for free, but it's still bad feeling.

Please delete this thread. See you again when the next version that do not need root access finished.

Thanks and sorry for inconvenience,

Goodbye all
26th November 2008, 08:43 PM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrift

I agree that the source would be nice for an app that asks for root, but damn ppl. stop being so damned rude. "Source code please"??? At least make a full sentance out of it. The author has of yet not shown malicious intent, so give him the benefit of the doubt and ask with a little respect. If you do not want to use it, DONT. If he wants to release the code he will.

You don't get it, do you? If I send you a .exe that asks you for your administrator password and tell you that it'll let you control your mouse cursor with your eyes, would you install it?
26th November 2008, 08:53 PM |#25  

More
No, because I wouldnt run an EXE seeing as im on linux and I hate wine. I know what im talking about, but that doesnt mean you just demand stuff from him and crucify him if he doesnt deliver. Ask nicely, if he says no, dont use it. No need to sit here complaining about it.
26th November 2008, 08:58 PM |#26  

More
Quote:

No, because I wouldnt run an EXE seeing as im on linux and I hate wine. I know what im talking about, but that doesnt mean you just demand stuff from him and crucify him if he doesnt deliver. Ask nicely, if he says no, dont use it. No need to sit here complaining about it.

It's bad that it needs to run as root and no source available but I'll stop complaining. I'm treating it as a trojan.
26th November 2008, 09:04 PM |#27  

More
Can you do any of the features this asks for without root? Please show me, I know lots will love to find out how. We know this program will need root to do everything it does. That is not the arguement here. If you people will read instead, I AGREE that the source should be released, I just do not agree with how rudely it was DEMANDED nor the comments like "im treating it as a trojan". He wrote an app for you, probably didnt realise the security concern and you guys are being rediculous.

I do not see why any developer would want to release anything for people that act like that, source or not.
26th November 2008, 09:04 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:

Ask nicely, if he says no, dont use it.

Yeah that was pretty much what I was going to do anyway. Bit disappointing to see so many users installing a binary (okay bytecode) blind without exercising due diligence. You don't realize how precious your data is until you've lost it because of poor security practices.

@nuuneoi: Sorry you decided to pull your product instead of releasing source code. I hope you will revisit the option of releasing code in the future, as the spirit of open source can only benefit the development community as a whole. Isn't that what Android is all about after all?
26th November 2008, 09:14 PM |#29  

More
Quote:

Can you do any of the features this asks for without root? Please show me, I know lots will love to find out how. We know this program will need root to do everything it does. That is not the arguement here. If you people will read instead, I AGREE that the source should be released, I just do not agree with how rudely it was DEMANDED nor the comments like "im treating it as a trojan". He wrote an app for you, probably didnt realise the security concern and you guys are being rediculous.

I do not see why any developer would want to release anything for people that act like that, source or not.

Noone demanded the source code be released. Personally, I was giving some constructive criticism. Yeah, it wasn't all nice and fluff, but it wasn't too bad, either.
Maybe next time, the developer will keep that in mind and inform people the proper way instead of uploading an app that doesn't mention anything about running as superuser.
26th November 2008, 09:15 PM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu

Yeah that was pretty much what I was going to do anyway. Bit disappointing to see so many users installing a binary (okay bytecode) blind without exercising due diligence. You don't realize how precious your data is until you've lost it because of poor security practices.

@nuuneoi: Sorry you decided to pull your product instead of releasing source code. I hope you will revisit the option of releasing code in the future, as the spirit of open source can only benefit the development community as a whole. Isn't that what Android is all about after all?

finally someone willing to speak to the guy in a halfway decent manner. I also agree that users blindly installing applications like this is very STUPID. This is the reason most users should NOT have root. I wish tmo/google would release a safer root method that would give it when needed, but not like this.
26th November 2008, 09:24 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Man, you people are rude...

If he doesn't want to release the source code then don't install it.. Simple as that...Stop your whining...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android tweak tools

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)