[FAQ] GT-i9100 Galaxy S II FAQ thread

Search This thread

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland
hey everyone, so obviously this is a FAQ thread, which means if youre -Qing it it, i should be 'FA-ing it'? ..lol that sounded corny, but you get the idea. please feel free to ask whatever in here, or suggest something youd like to see here, or add something you think shouldve been here already, best way to get something added is to PM me. lalala

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT- i9100 Galaxy S II FAQ

Release Dates:
Factory Model: May 1st
UK: May 1st
US: Q3

Where to Buy:
MobileCityOnline
Clove

i9100 vs i9103
both of these are variants of the Galaxy S II, to be respectively released in different regions, however key differences will will include:
i9100: Super AMOLED Plus screen, 1.2 GHz Dualcore Exynos processor
i9103: alternate screen (possibly SLCD, but yet to be confirmed), 1.0 GHz Dualcore Tegra 2 processor
List of Regions for Each Variant: INFORMATION NEEDED

Technical Specifications:
The Galaxy S II features a 480 x 800 pixels, 4.27 inch screen, 1.2 GHz Dualcore Exynos processor, 8MP camera with LED flash capable of 1080p/30fps video recording and playback in .MP4 format, 16GB or 32GB internal storage, with a 1650MAh Li-Ion battery. (full technical specifications can be found here)

What File System Will the Galaxy S II use?
EXT4

Does the Galaxy S II have Capped FPS like the Galaxy S I?
Yes, the Galaxy S II has its FPS capped at 60fps because of Vsync.

Hows the GPS on the Galaxy S II?
"Great!" check it out for yourself Picture, Video1, Video2

Does the Galaxy S II have a Notification LED?
unfortunately no, it doesnt, but the app 'BLN' has been worked with so that the Menu and Back LED buttons work on certain kernels, with certain messaging apps, such as Handcent.
one kernel that has BLN support is Ninphetamine

Is the Bootloader Locked?
No, it is not locked

Is it possible to run Nvidia Tegra Zone games on Galaxy S 2?
Yes, with the creation of Chainfire3D

Does having a Dualcore Processor in my phone use more battery than a Single Core?
No, on the contrary, having two processors do half the work to complete a single task requires less energy than a single core doing all of the work, it also keeps the temp of your phone down, since neither processor are overworked.

What Media Formats/Codec will the Galaxy S II support out of the box?
Video: MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263/H.264 AVC/VP8/3GPP/VP8/VC-1/WebM
Audio: MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB/AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF
Image JPEG/GIF/PNG/BMP/WBMP/AGIF

Will the Galaxy S II have NFC?
no, the i9100 variant will not, however a NFC enabled MicroSD card may be released to support NFC

Is there root for the Galaxy S II?
yes there is! a swell dev by the name of Chainfire made it, heres a link. you can also find it included in most Custom Roms

Cant i just use superoneclick, or an update.zip to root?
at the moment no, but as more people start to get this phone, development will start to pick up

Will the Galaxy S II get a Voodoo Kernel?
No, supercurio, Mr. Voodoo himself, said that he doesnt see any room for improvement on this phone =/

My Galaxy S II is locked to a network, how can i unlock it?
theres an app for that, and here it is

Is there a cyanogenmod available for the Galaxy S II?
yes here it is

What about MIUI
yep, right here

How can i backup my apps, or app/game save datas?
Titanium Backup can do all of this, its free and available in the market

I dont know much about whats available, can you recommend some cool mods?
Long press volume buttons to skip songs
Calls Recording
google talk with video calling over 3g (its just an app you install, nothing manual)

Last edited:

rwc3b

Apr 6, 2011
NYC
I'll bite.

This will be my first Android, coming from an iPhone. I'm probably going to get a bunch of, "use the search function" but is there a comprehensive resource on rooting and roms and such for newbies? Like a wiki or something?

I see there are threads with thousands of posts and that makes it pretty damn daunting to try and sift through the useful info. Plus, I'm married so my wife won't allow me to sit at the computer and do hours upon hours of research.

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland
I'll bite.

This will be my first Android, coming from an iPhone. I'm probably going to get a bunch of, "use the search function" but is there a comprehensive resource on rooting and roms and such for newbies? Like a wiki or something?

I see there are threads with thousands of posts and that makes it pretty damn daunting to try and sift through the useful info. Plus, I'm married so my wife won't allow me to sit at the computer and do hours upon hours of research.

well, i wont post this in the actual FAQ, because the root for the Galaxy SII isnt available yet (expect it a day or two after the phone gets released), but this is the root method for the galaxy s 1. the method will be the exact same, however the file will be different. this is the guide i wrote back when the galaxy s1 came out, i tried to make it as simple as possible, so take a look

http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/365-Detailed-guide-on-rooting-the-Galaxy-S

Reactions: snekkarn

nikzDHD

Apr 2, 2011
London
My biggest question which DAC will this phone have, no conclusive answers. Posts on twitter state it may be a Yamaha dac and not a Wolfson, now that review units are popping up.any way of finding out without tearing the phone down, if only ifixit can get hold of one!

Reactions: bluezeep

touness69

Jul 23, 2008
Lyon
Great idea mate !

So first you can go on and make the already answered question to begin like
- Will I need a lagfix ? answer : no because it will use an ext4 file system (the one that is already used for those lagfixes)
- something about bootloader and what supercurio has still confirmed
- why it is getting less fps than Tegra 2 in some benchmarks ? answer because samsung has capped the the fps count to 60 for battery saving and because it is useless to go further
etc etc

Reactions: soraxd

DesktopMan

May 2, 2007
The model number is actually i9100. i9000 is the Galaxy S.

I can't wait for some detailed tests on media playback. Maybe we should make a table with containers, codecs and codec settings and fill in as people do the testing? Audio formats are also interesting. Hoping for DTS but doubt it.

Last edited:

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
Great idea mate !

So first you can go on and make the already answered question to begin like
- Will I need a lagfix ? answer : no because it will use an ext4 file system (the one that is already used for those lagfixes)
- something about bootloader and what supercurio has still confirmed
- why it is getting less fps than Tegra 2 in some benchmarks ? answer because samsung has capped the the fps count to 60 for battery saving and because it is useless to go further
etc etc
60 FPS Cap is because of Vsync right?

And I think SLCD never was confirmed on Galaxy S2, though Tegra with Super Amoled Plus was confirmed(in Hong Kong, link http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12935842&postcount=13).

I would add those questions:

Is it possible to run Tegra-powered games(from Nvidia Tegra zone) on Exynos Galaxy S 2?
No, but most have an non-Tegra alternative.

Is the bootloader locked?
No it isn't.

Is there a rotation animation in browser?
No, only pre-production devices got them

Is dual-core going to decrease battery life?
No, semi-conducters gets smallers, therefore battery life improves. It also improves the repartition of tasks on the two cores(SMP) so they will do the same task in less time.

And that big screen, is that not going to decrease battery life?
Samsung uses a new technology for his screens, called Super Amoled Plus. It is better than Super Amoled.

Which video-codecs does it support natively?
MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV, DivX, Xvid, VC-1

Which music-codecs does it supports natively?
MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF

Is this the best phone ever?
Yes it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: soraxd

apwhitelaw

Jul 5, 2009
Another GPS test by the same guy, this time he does it indoors, and it still works pretty well. My backflip never gets a GPS signal unless I'm outdoors with nothing to get in the way.

DesktopMan

May 2, 2007
60 FPS Cap is because of Vsync right?

Samsung's list says nothing about containers or bitrates/encoding features, so that's the testing part :)

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
Yeah you're right but I said "Codecs" explicitely in the question. Though audio containers are listed(OGG is one). Video containers doesn't seem to be listed though(I don't see MKV :/). "bitrates/encoding features" are not listed.

Last edited:

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland

is this information correct?

ive only found
MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC

can you share where you got the rest of this information?

DesktopMan

May 2, 2007
Yeah you're right but I said "Codecs" explicitely in the question. Though containers are listed(OGG is one). Video containers doesn't seem to be listed though(I don't see MKV :/). "bitrates/encoding features" are not listed.

Yeh. Though by ogg they likely mean vorbis, as in the audio codec. (Since no other containers are listed.) Note, the faq should at least list containers separately. Right now mp4 is listed as a codec.

Last edited:

touness69

Jul 23, 2008
Lyon
for the media part you should complete those codecs with some formats in order to understand that it reads also .mkv files like a charm, like that :

Video

HD Video Player & Recorder 1080p @ 30fps
codec: DivX, XviD, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV, VC-1
format: 3gp(mp4), AVI(divx), MKV, FLV, H.263Sorenson

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
is this information correct?

ive only found
MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC

can you share where you got the rest of this information?

And could you please edit the reason for cap @ 60 Fps ? It's because of Vsync not battery life.
And also, like I already said, SLCD version is not going to exist, only Super Amoled + With either Tegra or Exynos.

touness69

Jul 23, 2008
Lyon
And could you please edit the reason for cap @ 60 Fps ? It's because of Vsync not battery life.

Well that's still not confirmed, the original GS were capped at 56fps supposedy for V-sync too but the refresh rate of the screen is exactly the same as GSII 60Hz
And even if it is for V-sync, the question is still why they chose V-sync unlike Lg with it's O2X ? then you go back to that "battery life" efficiency

And also, like I already said, SLCD version is not going to exist, only Super Amoled + With either Tegra or Exynos.
oh ok
And what do you do to the "* May not be applicable in some regions" near the "Super AMOLED Plus" specification on the Official GSII website eh ?

Last edited:

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
Are you sure about this? The videos I saw with browser rotation animation were looking buttersmooth and I don't see a reason why Samsung shouldn't use this in their production models.

I see a reason : patents. It's really hot news last time, Apple sueing Samsung.

And I have seen no Galaxy S2 retail version w/ browser rotation.

Though I really hope it will come :/.

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
Well that's still not confirmed, the original GS were capped at 56fps supposedy for V-sync too but the refresh rate of the screen is exactly the same as GSII 60Hz
And even if it is for V-sync, the question is still why they chose V-sync unlike Lg with it's O2X ? then you go back too that "battery life" efficiency

Vsync is not only for battery life, it can help but it also prevent tearing. So it's not limited to "battery life", instead "Vsync" is a way better explanation.
And what do you do to the "* May not be applicable in some regions" near the "Super AMOLED Plus" specification on the Official GSII website eh ?
It was never confirmed to be SLCD, though it is confirmed that Tegra in Korea will have Super Amoled Plus(well see message on page 1).

So, you can't confirm one model will be SLCD, AMOLED, Super Amoled, IPS LCD, .... or none of those and simply Super Amoled Plus.

But most probably Super Amoled Plus, since it's confirmed for Korea w/ Tegra.

//Sorry for double post

Last edited:

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey everyone, so obviously this is a FAQ thread, which means if youre -Qing it it, i should be 'FA-ing it'? ..lol that sounded corny, but you get the idea. please feel free to ask whatever in here, or suggest something youd like to see here, or add something you think shouldve been here already, best way to get something added is to PM me. lalala

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT- i9100 Galaxy S II FAQ

Release Dates:
    Factory Model: May 1st
    UK: May 1st
    US: Q3

Where to Buy:
    MobileCityOnline
    Clove

i9100 vs i9103
    both of these are variants of the Galaxy S II, to be respectively released in different regions, however key differences will will include:
    i9100: Super AMOLED Plus screen, 1.2 GHz Dualcore Exynos processor
    i9103: alternate screen (possibly SLCD, but yet to be confirmed), 1.0 GHz Dualcore Tegra 2 processor
    List of Regions for Each Variant: INFORMATION NEEDED

Technical Specifications:
    The Galaxy S II features a 480 x 800 pixels, 4.27 inch screen, 1.2 GHz Dualcore Exynos processor, 8MP camera with LED flash capable of 1080p/30fps video recording and playback in .MP4 format, 16GB or 32GB internal storage, with a 1650MAh Li-Ion battery. (full technical specifications can be found here)

What File System Will the Galaxy S II use?
    EXT4

Does the Galaxy S II have Capped FPS like the Galaxy S I?
    Yes, the Galaxy S II has its FPS capped at 60fps because of Vsync.

Hows the GPS on the Galaxy S II?
    "Great!" check it out for yourself Picture, Video1, Video2

Does the Galaxy S II have a Notification LED?
    unfortunately no, it doesnt, but the app 'BLN' has been worked with so that the Menu and Back LED buttons work on certain kernels, with certain messaging apps, such as Handcent.
    one kernel that has BLN support is Ninphetamine

Is the Bootloader Locked?
    No, it is not locked

Is it possible to run Nvidia Tegra Zone games on Galaxy S 2?
    Yes, with the creation of Chainfire3D

Does having a Dualcore Processor in my phone use more battery than a Single Core?
    No, on the contrary, having two processors do half the work to complete a single task requires less energy than a single core doing all of the work, it also keeps the temp of your phone down, since neither processor are overworked.

What Media Formats/Codec will the Galaxy S II support out of the box?
    Video: MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263/H.264 AVC/VP8/3GPP/VP8/VC-1/WebM
    Audio: MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB/AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF
    Image JPEG/GIF/PNG/BMP/WBMP/AGIF

Will the Galaxy S II have NFC?
    no, the i9100 variant will not, however a NFC enabled MicroSD card may be released to support NFC

Is there root for the Galaxy S II?
    yes there is! a swell dev by the name of Chainfire made it, heres a link. you can also find it included in most Custom Roms

Cant i just use superoneclick, or an update.zip to root?
    at the moment no, but as more people start to get this phone, development will start to pick up

Will the Galaxy S II get a Voodoo Kernel?
    No, supercurio, Mr. Voodoo himself, said that he doesnt see any room for improvement on this phone =/

My Galaxy S II is locked to a network, how can i unlock it?
    theres an app for that, and here it is

Is there a cyanogenmod available for the Galaxy S II?
    yes here it is

What about MIUI
    yep, right here

How can i backup my apps, or app/game save datas?
    Titanium Backup can do all of this, its free and available in the market

I dont know much about whats available, can you recommend some cool mods?
    Long press volume buttons to skip songs
    Calls Recording
    google talk with video calling over 3g (its just an app you install, nothing manual)
    Hello guys, I just got my S2 a few days ago and I have decided to upgrade it from 2.3.4 to ICS.
    I have a question, if someone can help me with this, do the baseband version, kernel version and build number have to be the same as the future ROM that I will decide to upgrade to it? How do I know which one to pick?
    I have Baseband version (I9100XXKI1) , kernel version (2.6.35.7-I9100XWKI4-CL575468 root@DELL143 #2) and build (GINGERBREAD.XWKI4), can you guys recommend a good ROM (and eventually some step-by-step tutorial) for me?
    Thank you in advance.
    You can flash a different baseband, kernel and the ROM (build).
    It is not required to have it the same like your stock one.

If you want it to be ICS 4 official ROM, find and download it here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16781168&postcount=3

choose the ROM which starts with XW (because thats your build)
    i suggest the XWLPD, at the bottom.

If you want it a CUSTOM ROM, you have to root your kernel first.
    Download your rooted stock kernel here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17704099&postcount=6

choose the 1st or the 5th cwm4.zip (thats yourbuild)
    Then flash a custom rom, use the search button to find them.
    (i suggest the Wanamlite ics rom)
    OK, but I dont have csc as a separate file, I have it as a part of whole fw, so can I just use it like that (whole fw with pda/phone/csc), to load it in odin in csc section. Will it install just csc or whole fw with pda and phone and csc???

No you shouldnt do like that... Download serbian csc by searchimg xda or web... And select it in csc field.. Select the fw you downloaded in phone field..leave other fields empty... And flash...
    And in odin, do not check repartion option... Leave the pit field empty...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
    Yeah, google is my good friend but I cant find it :) All I get are pages with multi CSC as a part of fw

Hi mate.. Try here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
    ....and to downgrade my firmware back to the stock firmware 2.3.3 (if i want to in the future), i'll just have to flash back with ODIN right??

P.S - Sorry for all the Q's =)

Salam,

its ok, you can ask anytime, I love sharing knowledge, I my self learned everything from XDA only.

Yes you can use the same procedure.

But the Custom ROMS are much better than the Stock ROMS. if you need to enjoy the SGS2 on its fullest, you need to have a custom ROM.

P.S: You are always welcome :)