[ROM]Stock venue images - Unbricking

Search This thread

Omnichron

Dec 1, 2010
East Highland, CA
any one knows where can we find a guide to tweak and deodexed the rom ?
I tried deodexing the rom and ran into trouble. It is missing file that is there by default in Android which messed up deodexing process. As far as tweaking, there are a couple of tweaking tool in the market. Some might require root access, in which case you will need to root with Gingerbreak v1.02 I eagerly await the 2.3.3 upgrade to dive in. :)

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
You could, just keep in mind there is absolutely no way to return to 325 if you need to for any reason in the future.

You only need to flash the 319 recovery then install the pkg

Agent5150

Mar 6, 2008
no need to return to 325. I am assuming I can download the 319 recovery from this thread.

Steps:
fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img
then use the recovery to load the 319 and update.pkg

Correct?

PS. wouldn;t return to 325 will be possible in a similar fashion, ie pkg file is available along with recovery. or perhaps OTA update from Dell (long shot :))

Last edited:

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Nothing is at all available in regards to 325, the only pkg available at all is 319 so it's always a one way movement towards 319.

Once you install it you cant fully return to your previous rom without having a pkg, and like it says only 319 is available.

streak4m3

Nov 14, 2010
Manii,

My phone no longer recognizes mobile networks. I am not sure how to describe it but it doesn't recognize any SIM card and has no APNs. Do you happen to know a way to fix that? This is a secondary device so it isn't as crucial. I typically have my SIM in the Streak but would like to fix it sooner that later :)

Reactions: Dell Venue

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I've never even seen a venue in actuality, just recycling known steps form the streak, as it's more or less identical.

Only advise i can offer is to reflash the system rom over yours, whatever one is correct (assuming I have it). Possibly also fac resetting afterwards

What did you do to it? Did you root and start messing around with /system?

Agent5150

Mar 6, 2008
Manii thanks for your help. I flashed 319 as update.pkg. it booted to Korean language, but after switching to english it works well. Easily rooted with GingerBreak.

Now, can I take the 325 dump and flash on top of 319?
if yes, appreciate the order of files i should flash.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
There is no 325 dump, nor are any of the associated files available, only way to return to it is to buy/exchange for one with it preinstaled

Agent5150

Mar 6, 2008
Manii,
My bad. meant to say flash 321 dump that you have listed in this thread. Can I flash that on 319.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
You could, but you would likely end up with the "blinking lights" issue as your baseband would not be matched

streak4m3

Nov 14, 2010
I've never even seen a venue in actuality, just recycling known steps form the streak, as it's more or less identical.

Only advise i can offer is to reflash the system rom over yours, whatever one is correct (assuming I have it). Possibly also fac resetting afterwards

What did you do to it? Did you root and start messing around with /system?

Didn't try to root, I think may have flashed different ROMs too much. I will try flashing and fac reset and see what happens. Obviously none of this is any of your fault or doing - just wanna be clear I am not complaining. Keep up the good work, brother.

Reactions: Dell Venue

streak4m3

Nov 14, 2010
I really messed up now. I accidentally choose the wrong option (something to do with SD card download from the recovery options) and now my Venue is really bricked. Only things that work are the LED lights. There is no Dell logo, phone is not recognized by computer. I will have to send it in to revive, I think, unless there is a way to fix it on my own (doubtful).

tuan.dsnq

Nov 10, 2011
Hanoi
@TheManii: liuhui had submitted a rooted version of 2.3.3 (406). Could you please verify the root and add to your collection if possible! :) I tried his img, it's OK so far!

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I have 406, but I'm not adding it for the same reason 319 wasnt added, the pkg is available. Only difference is I dont recommend using 406 as it may cause bricks.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I dont recall who had 325, but whoever it was: if you see this and are still on it: I have a workaround for your device.

If anyone that's still on 325 is able to, please contact me either on xda or on #dellstreak on freenode and I'll walk you though dumping 325 and provide you with root on it for your trouble (if you still with to use 325)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction:
    These are stock rom images of the various venue roms. Unlike the streak, the majority of roms on the venue have never been released as update.pkgs. Without update.pkgs it is not possible to fully restore a venue after bricking it.

The only exception is for korean users, so far 319 (which is a korean rom) is the only update available. Update.pkgs update everything: baseband and all the various firmwares.

These zips only contain the /system folder, the kernel, and the recovery image. It does not update any of the firmwares. If your baseband and your rom version do not match, you will get the 'blinking leds' issue. Which means the soft button leds will blink semi-constantly. The only way to fix this is by using a matching rom.

What this ultimately means is that anyone that updated to 319 cannot migrate away from it until another rom update is released, whenever that is.

These images/zips will allow you to unbrick your device if it was caused by modifying /system. If it was caused by someone not related it will not fix them.

WARNING:
    • Do not use if your device already works
    • Only install the one matching your baseband:
    • Back up your data before attempting if possible
    • If you do not know how to use the command line, find a tutorial on google

Install Instructions:
    (This assumes you already know how to use the command prompt on your PC)
    • Download Fastboot+ADB.zip and install it
    • Download the version matching your baseband:
      • 101:
        • Dump not available
      • 302:
      • 303:
        • Dump not available
      • 304:
      • 307:
      • 319:
        • Not required - pkg is available
      • 321:
      • 323:
      • 324:
        • Dump not available
      • 325:
    • Flash them with fastboot
      • fastboot flash boot <path to boot.img>
      • fastboot flash recovery <path to recovery.img>
      • fastboot flash system <path to system.img>
    • Factory reset your device

IF YOU BRICK AN ALREADY WORKING VENUE BECAUSE YOU WERE CURIOUS, IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT. DO NOT USE ON A WORKING DEVICE UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO UNBRICK IT

Notes:
    • I am still missing dumps for:
    • Verified clean dumps of:
    • Do not link to the untested images, they will be repackaged as they are tested and the links will become invalid
    • stock zips are tested images, they are safe to link to
    • stock zips are packaged as nandroid updates. They will work fine with fastboot or nandroid (ignoring the fact a custom recovery is not yet available)

2char
    Check Development Page, I Have Uploaded The Stock Dell Venue ROM Dumps.

Sent from my Dell Venue using XDA App
    If you're on windows just look for unyaffs.exe, I assume there's a similar util for *nix/osx.

To repack them I dont have a pc util to do it. I just flash it on my streak then make a nandroid. As I dont do this that often really I havnt bothered looking up for a tool to do this. I do believe there's a bundled tool to do this in linux (build a filesystem into an image).
    WARNING:
    Do not use this if your venue already works. The images will overwrite what's already installed. As these are untested (but work on my streak) I have absolutely no idea if they work.
    Even if they do work, they will ONLY work on devices that would boot otherwise because of /system being damaged.

If you broke it somewhere unrelated to /system this wont fix it.

Install Instructions:
    (This assumes you already know how to use the command prompt on your PC)

Please look at Dell Venue - XDA wiki to see what rom you have/should have

IF YOU BRICK AN ALREADY WORKING VENUE BECAUSE YOU WERE CURIOUS, IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT. DO NOT USE ON A WORKING DEVICE UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO UNBRICK IT

Notes: I do not have images for 101/302/303/325. If you have any of these builds and are willing to help attempt to dump them please contact me on #dellstreak on freenode. 307 and 321 have been safely dumped from venues without harming them in any way.

Note2: The download links will change if these are confirmed to work, please do not link to them directly for the time being, please link to this thread/OP

Dell Venue Hongkong
    Basebannd vesion: GTOUB1A130211-AWS
    Kernel vesion: 2.6.32.9-pert
    OEM Version: GTOUB1A130211
    Build number: 12837

boot.img + recovery.img + recovery_bak.img

system.img
    :)
    Tested 321 - works. Going to try to test 304 later tonight. Great job guys!

---------- Post added 7th October 2011 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 6th October 2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

304 works too :)