[DEV HACK IDEA] Porting over Android to the new Chromebook..??

Search This thread

rawtek

Oct 11, 2008
Miami
Booting !!!

Ok got it booting.....but locks up after about 1 Second.....cant tell what works and what doesnt....also it appears as if it some how corrupts the Chrome OS partition ( which i'm not to happy about since chromeOS is my main OS..) which in turn requires a full system restore resetting the UBoot and Dev BIOS back to stock..keep you guys posted.

clark707

May 14, 2011
im excited to see this happen! Would definitely give me a reason to buy a cb. Somebody get him the tarball, i only have a n7 not n10 :/

HitBobLer

Jan 28, 2013
Liverpool
Android Port For Chromebook

As Linux (Ubuntu) is working then surely an android port can't be hard. And if all that is needed at the moment to get it working is a tar ball of android for it, if someone gave the dev who is working on this some help it could be done soon. Also just quoting a freind I asked but:
"If Ubuntu (12.04 or later) has been ported, you should be able to drop a android user-space on top of the kernel without major issues.

Check out and android source tree, and use an appropriet cross-compiler setup to make the userspace."

"Alternatively if ubuntu is already running, you can install the build tools there to build your userspace."

Don't know how much sense this makes but hope it gives some One some help

Looking forward to this, if this is possible then I would definitely buy a chromebook.
Keep up good work!

iansmitchell

Mar 10, 2013
I just ordered my Samsung ARM Chromebook and a 32 GB SD card for putting chrubuntu on it. I would love to add Android to that lineup so I wouldn't need to defer to my phone to do many common tasks. Plus while I'm a much bigger fan of the laptop than tablet experience, I love android.

raptir

May 4, 2010
So, would porting Android over to the Acer c7 chromebook be any different?

I ask because I see a lot of people talking about the Samsung chromebook and not the Acer.

Yes, it would be pretty substantially different. The Samsung chromebook runs an Exynos processor using the ARM architecture. The vast majority of Android devices utilize an ARM based processor. The Acer chromebook uses an Intel Celeron processor using the x86 architecture. There is a port of Android to x86 (very cleverly named Android-x86), and due to the use of the Dalvik VM apps should work. But you'll find that even if you get Android to work on an x86 machine you will run into a lot of problems with applications.

Reactions: zacharyb5386

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Booting !!!

Ok got it booting.....but locks up after about 1 Second.....cant tell what works and what doesnt....also it appears as if it some how corrupts the Chrome OS partition ( which i'm not to happy about since chromeOS is my main OS..) which in turn requires a full system restore resetting the UBoot and Dev BIOS back to stock..keep you guys posted.
    Kernel boots..just has a hard time mounting the ROOTFS...any want to shed some light on this.
    Thanks
    Following this thread with anticipation. :)
    started..

OK...I was able to get into the uboot portion of chromeos and managed to load uvboot ( unverified boot )which will allow the booting of non chrome os kernel's. however it seems its looking for something else. I already got Ubuntu loaded on it so maybe I'll try to get it booting off the SD first so I don't brick my cb.....keep you guys posted.
    As far as installing ubuntu on the arm chromebook goes, using the guide at http://craigerrington.com/blog/crouton-script-from-sd-card/ allows for running chrome os and ubuntu at the same time. it workes great for me.

This is the first time I've seen my blog linked to on XDA - glad it helped you !

-Craig

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium