[HOWTO] Fixing “Insufficient storage available” errors on Android 4.2 and above

Search This thread

alex__sp

May 4, 2011
Buenos Aires
I Have the same problem too!

I have an Asus Memo Pad HD7 Dual Sim Tablet With Android 4.3 which Apparently cannot be rooted and about 80% of the apps that i want to install or update give me this damn error! :| :(

I'm really sorry to hear that.

It sucks, I blame Google for this they are always advising us not to root our phones and they do not provide a solution to this widely known problem.

This might work: http://mobile.dzone.com/articles/8-simple-steps-fix. I'll try it and let you know.

reza2kn

Oct 30, 2011
Shiraz
I'm really sorry to hear that.

It sucks, I blame Google for this they are always advising us not to root our phones and they do not provide a solution to this widely known problem.

This might work: http://mobile.dzone.com/articles/8-simple-steps-fix. I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks.

But i already tried that:( , in fact the problem got started at the point that i was able to install and move my apps and data files on the SD card using this method. I will try to contact my device's warranty office and ask them for a solution.

Good Luck.

maurlife

Sep 11, 2006
New York, NY
Thanks.

But i already tried that:( , in fact the problem got started at the point that i was able to install and move my apps and data files on the SD card using this method. I will try to contact my device's warranty office and ask them for a solution.

Good Luck.

Hi reza2kn, take a look at post #24 in this thread. To use jrummy's script, download any terminal emulator program from the market. Open a window in it and at the prompt write: "su cd #". Now you should have a # before the prompt, indicating you are in the root directory. Copy and paste the exact text in the box on jrummy's post. You should see something happening in the terminal window like the screen shot.
7ejy9y9a.jpg
This has fixed the problem for me twice.

All credit to jrummy, who writes awesome Android software.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

malcvr4

Jul 21, 2008
St. Louis
Ive tried factory resets, cleared caches, app-lib files, changed install location, app cache clear 1 tap app and the other app thats not talked about on here. Still getting the message. Did I miss anything else to try?

demlv

Sep 16, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, the post right above yours points to post 24 of this thread. Doesn't look like you have tried that one yet. Good luck!

demlv

Sep 16, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've always had success by just deleting the OLDEST of the two directories that I find in app-libs whenever this problem appears. Some have spoken of deleting files but I delete the entire directory, not just the contents.

reza2kn

Oct 30, 2011
Shiraz
Hi reza2kn, take a look at post #24 in this thread. To use jrummy's script, download any terminal emulator program from the market. Open a window in it and at the prompt write: "su cd #". Now you should have a # before the prompt, indicating you are in the root directory. Copy and paste the exact text in the box on jrummy's post. You should see something happening in the terminal window like the screen shot.
7ejy9y9a.jpg
This has fixed the problem for me twice.

All credit to jrummy, who writes awesome Android software.

Thanks Buddy ;)

But my problem is that i can't root my tablet! i tried every program and way and it didn't work.
If i had root access there are applications to make this problem go away ;)

Good Luck:good:

Reactions: dSlice

diemadedrei

Mar 13, 2012
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I the problem that I cant install google play sound search (aka ears). Ive searched all the relevant folders in system as well as data but there is nothing left of the app. No odex- files, no folders of any kind, nothing. Im using cm11 with the GoogleApps from cm. ears should be installed by default actually but i coudlnt add the widget so I tried to install it from play store and it always says not enough space. It was a clean install of cm from yesterday. Any ideas left?

morbvamp

Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for the info. But what I do in my case, I search the name of the app in ES File explorer o similar and delete the .odex or .dex files. Bam! Problem solved.

drblamith

May 21, 2014
Cuttack
Insufficient memory

Similar thing happened to me while installing titanium back up pro.
Cleared cache/ dalvik- cache.. No help.
I couldn't find any folder of app- data/ app-path.
After lots of digging, I got solution.

Samsung GT-i9082 has no provision for installing app to ext sdcard. But I had set for external installation on 'link2sd'.Later I changed it to automatic. No hassled further. All installations have been smooth.

Ozzie12

Oct 2, 2010
I've always had success by just deleting the OLDEST of the two directories that I find in app-libs whenever this problem appears. Some have spoken of deleting files but I delete the entire directory, not just the contents.

This worked perfect for me. Ended all issues instantly.

from a galaxy far far away

Reactions: MXKM
Hello fine people!
My problem is that I can't install Tapatalk app from Google Play Store, ar any other source :p
Previosly I had older version of Tapatalk that I unistalled and wanted to upgrade to a newer one.

Same out of space problem, but my internal memory shows aprox. 680mb free space (I can install other apps)

I can't find the folder data\app-libs

My phone is rooted (Galaxy Xcover2) with this method:
[DEODEXED] pre-rooted S7710XXAMB6_S7710OXEAMB3-20130713.7z
Odin 3.07: [LATEST] Odin@XDA

xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40232503&postcount=45

I've tried cleaning dalvik cache and the method from post #24
but nothing changes.

LE: I've found this solution to my problem:
Assuming that your phone is rooted and you have installed Link2SD. All you have to do is open Link2SD, go to settings, and pick Install location (Internal), probably unlink Auto link too. I could not install couple applications like facebook because for some reason Android do not allow to install it on sd. After installation all you have to do is go to Link2SD and Create link if you want move this application on sd card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dheerajdj

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
Hello fine people!
. . . .
LE: I've found this solution to my problem:
Assuming that your phone is rooted and you have installed Link2SD. All you have to do is open Link2SD, go to settings, and pick Install location (Internal), probably unlink Auto link too. I could not install couple applications like facebook because for some reason Android do not allow to install it on sd. After installation all you have to do is go to Link2SD and Create link if you want move this application on sd card.

Hey thanks for that FIX mention.

I fixed my LG F6 (ya know which forum I be in THX)

Before rooting I was having the same as thousands, insufficient space whatever, and So I did a "Factory Reset" and booted to "Home" and did another "Factory Reset." booted to "Home,' and than "rooted" and started installing, and installing etc with NO more notice of insufficient anything.
I tried the dalvik cleans etc and still that error.

Since I couldn't install I had to try something that might work, and it did.

Thanks again for those steps to Link2SD!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    this is a problem i encountered many times after (a while) i updated my phone to 4.2.2 (cannot install/update any app.apk file outside the playstore and there is this famous "Insufficient storage available" error which cant solved by wiping cache and dalvik cache).

And after some investigation i noticed that since android 4.2, google create a new lib folder for the apps in "/data called /data/app-lib/" and there is a symlink from "/data/data/APP-PATH/lib" to this folder which is the most culpable of this error.

So to avoid this kind of error:

1. go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)/lib" and delete.
    2. install/update the apk app.
    3. if not work go to "/data/app-lib/APP-PATH(that has this error)" and delete all the folder (but you must begin by their sub-folder then the folder itself, because you cant delete the folder of this APP-PATH directly without deleting their sub-folder first.

i hope, i helped some of you guys that you have this erroneous and overstressed error.
    Here is a quick fix.

Run this in adb shell as root and it will fix any bad packages.

Code:
    for line in `pm list packages -f`; do pkg=`echo $line | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d= -f2`; if [ "$(ls /data/app-lib | grep "${pkg}-" | wc -w)" -gt 1 -a "$pkg" != "android" ]; then fullname=`echo $line | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d= -f1`; filename="$(basename $fullname)"; badfile=`ls /data/app-lib | grep "${pkg}-" | grep -v "${filename%.*}"`; rm -rf /data/app-lib/$badfile; echo "Fixed $pkg"; fi; done
    Another Insufficient Storage fix

Hi all,
    I personally found that this method didn't fix it for me... apparently on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 running SlimBean 4.3, there really WAS a complete lack of storage after only a week or two of running. This is an issue that affects non-custom ROMs also, otherwise I'd be posting on the developer forum, it doesnt seem to be an issue with the custom.

If you are suffering from a distinct lack of internal storage, try the following;

1. Get a decent Root Explorer (FX root is now free and very good)
    2. Navigate to /data/log
    3. Check for oversize log files ~260k titled 'dumpstate'
    These dumpstate log files were steadily consuming my storage, they were up to 750 items in a week and steadily increasing. They are written when the phone loses mobile coverage, so if you're in a blackspot they will start eating storage.

Some file explorers will allow you to 'Select All' and you can happily empty the entire folder without risk to your system that I know of. If yours doesn't, you can actually delete the entire log folder and re-make it with no ill effects. Solved my problem!

Take it easy :)
    Guys please help a desperate guy (me) who tried to solve this problem fore more than a day already...:crying:
    I have my Nexus 7 2013 device and I found that I can't update apps.
    It's funny because I can update some apps but not other ( say I can't update Chrome but I can update any.do)
    I can download some app but not
    ...................................................................... WAIT WHAT?!
    I FINALLY SOLVED THIS PROBLEM!!!!
    I simply downloaded LINK2SD and set the install location to AUTO and restarted my tablet. Then YEAHHH!! problem solved!
    At first I thought I didn't have an external SD card so I didn't try. But as I was so desperate, I tried it anyway and it WORKED!
    Please give it a try if you are like me, whose device doesn't have an external SD card.

Thank you guys for all the help and suggestions along the way!
    Thx for the fix suggestion,

but unfortunately this solution failed to fix my issue.

Maybe this one can help the other who also haven't manage to fix theirs,

try to download "Lucky Patcher" and choose "Troubleshooting", it will check whether there were ODEX file left after previous installation and else, and will delete the file when necessary.

It fix my "insufficient storage issue"