[Q] Questions before rooting

Search This thread

flyinjoe13

Dec 23, 2010
I'm getting ready to root my phone and I just want to be sure of a couple of things. I think I found the correct 'how to' thread for rooting this phone using ioroot (there are a bunch out there), but i'm unsure of which version of ioroot to use. The thread talks about ioroot25, but the website for downloading has a newer version of ioroot available. The part where i'm a bit confused is that the latest version is a lot smaller in file size than version 25, something like 1.6mb vs. 7.3mb. I just want to be sure that the version from June 17th is the correct one to use despite being a lot smaller in size. Or should I still use ioroot25?

Also, i've read a lot of threads about display problems (a white line or soemthing) running an AOSP version of KitKat (which I was intending to do). Is this a kernel issue or a ROM issue? Are there certain AOSP KK ROMs or kernels I should avoid that have this problem?

Thanks for any info....

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
I'm getting ready to root my phone and I just want to be sure of a couple of things. I think I found the correct 'how to' thread for rooting this phone using ioroot (there are a bunch out there), but i'm unsure of which version of ioroot to use. The thread talks about ioroot25, but the website for downloading has a newer version of ioroot available. The part where i'm a bit confused is that the latest version is a lot smaller in file size than version 25, something like 1.6mb vs. 7.3mb. I just want to be sure that the version from June 17th is the correct one to use despite being a lot smaller in size. Or should I still use ioroot25?

Also, i've read a lot of threads about display problems (a white line or soemthing) running an AOSP version of KitKat (which I was intending to do). Is this a kernel issue or a ROM issue? Are there certain AOSP KK ROMs or kernels I should avoid that have this problem?

Thanks for any info....

the latest ioroot is what you want to use, the reason it is smaller is because autoprime cleaned up a lot of not needed files which was actually update 25.1

yes there have been display problems which emerged with kitkat and it is related to the panel type of your phone after root use panel checker and if you have jdi panel you will need to flash a jdi kernel or you will have white lines issue but if you have lgd panel then there is nothing to worry about

flyinjoe13

Dec 23, 2010
the latest ioroot is what you want to use, the reason it is smaller is because autoprime cleaned up a lot of not needed files which was actually update 25.1

yes there have been display problems which emerged with kitkat and it is related to the panel type of your phone after root use panel checker and if you have jdi panel you will need to flash a jdi kernel or you will have white lines issue but if you have lgd panel then there is nothing to worry about

Great. Thanks for the info. I feel confident enough now to go ahead and root my phone.

flyinjoe13

Dec 23, 2010
Two more questions:

I went ahead and ran ioroot to root my phone and everything seems to have worked fine. I got root status under 'About Phone', was able to flash the TWRP recovery and was able to remove a bunch of the preloaded bloatware through file explorer so I know I am rooted. I noticed though that there is no Superuser app installed like i've gotten with past phones when I rooted. Am I supposed to install one from the Market or do I not need one anymore?

Also, can I uninstall the Autorec app after flashing TWRP or is it still needed?

Last edited:

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Two more questions:

I went ahead and ran ioroot to root my phone and everything seems to have worked fine. I got root status under 'About Phone', was able to flash the TWRP recovery and was able to remove a bunch of the preloaded bloatware through file explorer so I know I am rooted. I noticed though that there is no Superuser app installed like i've gotten with past phones when I rooted. Am I supposed to install one from the Market or do I not need one anymore?

Also, can I uninstall the Autorec app after flashing TWRP or is it still needed?

That is odd ioroot usually install supersu when rooting, well you can just grab it from play store which is advised so that way you can grant root only to apps you know need it(I have noticed a few games on play store who want root access and don't need it)

as for autorec, yes you can uninstall it since you already used it there is no need to keep it on phone

and don't forget to check your panel type if you haven't already

flyinjoe13

Dec 23, 2010
That is odd ioroot usually install supersu when rooting, well you can just grab it from play store which is advised so that way you can grant root only to apps you know need it(I have noticed a few games on play store who want root access and don't need it)

as for autorec, yes you can uninstall it since you already used it there is no need to keep it on phone

and don't forget to check your panel type if you haven't already

Thanks again for the answers. I will go ahead and get supersu and remove autorec. I did check the panel as you advised and it is an LG.