Search This thread

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A) - Updated August 9, 2016

Cover%2BGoogle.jpg

Another build, compiled from source. But before I get too far...

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and
 * YOU acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.
 */

Now that that's out of the way, this is a build of CarbonROM, using the device tree, kernel and advice from @jrior001 and @crpalmer. The current build is based off the latest CyanogenMod commits (and upstream AOSP) available at the time..

NOTICE:

Final build coming.

As work with Nougat begins, I will need to switch over to the MM bootloader. I won't be going back (downgrading) to check builds. For OctOS, as that is MM anyway, I can begin special builds (reliant on the MM bootloader) once I become established. For Carbon LP, it means the end of the road.

The September Android Security Bulletin should filter down to LP in about a week. Once that is done, I will crank out the final build, test, and post. Device-identity-wise, the only difference between the upcoming build and the one previous is the fix to the "off-path TCP" exploit. The ASB will have other fixes, but to the ROM instead (which is why I prefer to wait for the ASB).

Thank you for all the support. Cheers.​

SCREENSHOTS:

WHAT WORKS:
  • Powers on
  • Phone calls and texts
  • Mobile data (later builds)
  • Torch
  • Charges
  • MTP
  • Play Store

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
  • GPS works, but does not seem to lock on out-of-the-box. Download your country's gps.conf and replace.
  • Doubtful NFC will work, as it does not look like that functionality is built into CarbonROM (missing nfc_enhanced.mk).
  • A random reboot was detected, at which point mobile data was lost. Toggle airplane mode to restore data.
  • As this ROM shares the same device tree as CM, this will share the same flaws. Otherwise, please tell me.

DOWNLOAD:

GAPPS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Download ROM above, and a GApps package
  • Save/push files to your (External) SD card (preferably in the root folder where you can find it later)
  • Reboot into recovery ("adb reboot recovery")
  • Nandroid/Back up device (optional, but highly recommended)
  • Wipe cache and data/factory reset (unless updating from previous CarbonROM version)
  • Install ROM and GApps
  • Wipe Dalvik cache
  • Reboot
  • Enjoy!

CREDITS:
  • jrior001
  • crpalmer
  • deadman96385
  • CyanogenMod
  • CarbonDev (incl. Christian Oder)
  • Niropa
  • rirozizo
  • NSLUG

Did I miss anything? I appreciate the feedback, and any thanks as well!

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A), ROM for the Asus ZenFone 2

Contributors
joel.maxuel
Source Code: https://github.com/carbon-z00a

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-08-07
Last Updated 2016-09-10

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-11-33.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-11-33.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 22,964
  • Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-12-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-12-21.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 22,999
  • Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-13-47.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-13-47.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 22,570
  • Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-16-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-16-44.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 22,502
  • Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-20-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-20-19.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 22,481
  • Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-23-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-23-50.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 22,059
  • Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-15-03.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-15-03.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 22,563

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Other Info...

For those following along....

Project GitHub: https://github.com/carbon-z00a (complete fork of CarbonROM LP with ZF2 device projects)

LOCAL MANIFEST:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

<remote name="cr-z00a"
fetch="https://github.com/carbon-z00a"
revision="lp5.1.1" />

<remote name="cm-z00a"
revision="cm-12.1" />

<remote name="muppet"
fetch="https://github.com/TheMuppets"
revision="cm-12.1" />

<remote name="cyanogenmod"
fetch="https://github.com/CyanogenMod"
revision="cm-12.1" />

<!-- CM-ZENFONE2 DEVICE PROJECTS -->
<project name="android_device_asus_Z00A" path="device/asus/Z00A" remote="cr-z00a" />
<project name="android_device_asus_mofd-common" path="device/asus/mofd-common" remote="cm-z00a" />
<project name="android_kernel_asus_moorefield" path="kernel/asus/moorefield" remote="cm-z00a" />
<project name="proprietary_vendor_asus" path="vendor/asus" remote="muppet" />
</manifest>

CHERRY PICK(S):

Code:
None.

Make a new folder for and then initialize the build tree:
Code:
mkdir carbon
cd carbon
repo init -u https://github.com/carbon-z00a/android.git -b lp5.1.1

Copy your Z00A local manifest to ".repo/local_manifests/" (you may need to create the local manifests folder first), and then sync everything:
Code:
cp ../Z00A.xml .repo/local_manifests/
repo sync -f

Complete all the normal steps at this point. :cowboy:

CHANGE LOG:

Besides the project git hub...

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Holy cow, I'm tempted to test this but I will wait for official release '-'

Official release may be a problem, as you would never get one of those from me - I am not affiliated with CarbonROM, I just like building their stuff. :cowboy:

For it to be official, one of their team members will have to own the device and take in the build themselves - in other words - do a lot more than my kanging (all the "work" for this project is in my second post and the commits in my github - all work I borrowed from somewhere else) - which is why I give credit where it's due. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thanatos12

pandan80

Oct 17, 2011
fast charge no work...use back 2.1v charge ok no problem,sorry for my bad English

rivethead23

Aug 17, 2010
Unfortunately I don't have a fast charger to check (as I have the 2GB model), but can you try fast charging when powered off?

I think that was the recent progress with this ROMs older brother (CyanogenMod).

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD

Fast charging worked for me. I regular charged it and using the round battery indicator the phone charged like 3 % in 5 mins. The battery indicator read the %.

I used the fast charger and when plugged in the battery % changed to "?" while charging. After about 10 minutes I unplugged the charger and it had increased like 20%.

I like the ROM so far but I can't get data working. Sms and calls work but no data. Tried reentering the APN but no luck. Reflashing didn't fix it either. Any ideas?

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I like the ROM so far but I can't get data working. Sms and calls work but no data. Tried reentering the APN but no luck. Reflashing didn't fix it either. Any ideas?

I will play with it tomorrow to see if I have the same problem, and see what I can dig up. Good task for a rainy Sunday. ;)

EDIT:

Looked at it tonight :cowboy:

Interestingly enough, it picks up all the APN's automatically. Stock never did that. But no mobile data. Could be that I used the CAF version of the hardware_ril project (only because the standard version stalled the device on boot). Most likely, it has t do with Carbon working on their rebase - I built before hearing that they finished that (I have problems accessing their website so I thought maybe they bypassed their G+ page to place it on the news section of their site).

As a result of the current situation, I am unable to try a newer build right now. :(

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD

Last edited:

oijjio

Jun 20, 2012
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But for us noobs, can you explain how this is different than the nightly rom?

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But for us noobs, can you explain how this is different than the nightly rom?

Historically (at least with KitKat), CarbonROM was more feature-rich than CyanogenMod (at least, I found).

These days, it's had to say. CarbonROM bases itself off of CM and SlimROMs (and probably others) and the feature set is probably similar. I haven't tried CM 12.1 yet, so I cannot do a real comparison. But since Carbon is still getting their feet on the ground for this version, my bet is things are very similar (the options are just found in different locations).

Sorry, I cannot be more specific. These are features I enabled that seem pretty standard, the two that I think stand out are "App Circle Bar" and "AppBar" (those are two ways of accessing apps without going to home screen or app drawer - just pull from the left or right).

I featured the former in attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-09-11-45-24.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-09-11-45-24.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 673

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
August 9th Build ...

... but still no mobile data :(

I did get something different when I cleaned flashed though - see attachment. I didn't get this before, and made me hopeful. Too bad it didn't make any difference in the end.

This version seemed to be stubborn at first. Can dirty flash (as far as I can tell - I did and no problems), but if you clean flash, you will have to power cycle (as in, don't soft reboot) after the first full boot to get service back.

Also, I took a logcat (of enabling data services), I could not find any "E/"'s relating to SIM or anything related to mobile data. So that was a dead end.

CHANGE LOG:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-09-19-18-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-09-19-18-27.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Reactions: Greg77970

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Appreciate the work I hope you can get this ROM working Carbon was fantastic in the past.

I thought of something, and it was a dead end for me, but can you try downgrading your connection (I forget what the option is called, but it is on the parent page to the APN's), from LTE to 3G? Then reboot (power cycle, do not soft reboot) and see if you got connection.

I am unable to do this as my carrier does 4G only (LTE and fake-4G).

It's a long shot, and it means a slower connection if it does work, but if it does work, it may be a half-decent kludge for now...

rivethead23

Aug 17, 2010
That was one of the things I tried to get it to work. I did the following things (might help you eliminate some stuff):
Chose 3G/2G as my connection.
Removed and reinserted the SIM card with phone on (I got message like the one you got but it didn't work)
Removed and Manually put in APN information. (I am on T-Mobile in the USA BTW)
Turned off Phone removed SIM. Booted Phone with no SIM. Inserted SIM.
Copied the APN file (at /etc) from SlimROM (which data works on) and after flashing used TWRP's file manager to put it in the same location before the first boot of a clean Carbon.

To answer another person Carbon ROM has more options than CM, Slim, or PA for the Zenphone 2. Also on my previous phone (Note 2) CarbonRom was rock solid stable fast and good on battery life.

Reactions: OfficerJimLahey

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
I think I know what the problem is.

android_hardware_ril has two branches: 12.1 and 12.1-caf. I originally pulled the project into my github, patched 12.1 branch, and added the project into my local manifests with the upstream removal included.

That build died at the splashscreen. So then I patched the 12.1-caf branch and changed the local manifest to use that branch instead. It booted, but you know what happened then.

I looked at the master manifest, and it calls on both at the same time, renaming the latter to hardware/ril-caf. Worse, my local manifest, because it removes the upstream ril project, really that should be plural because it attacked both, and I only put one back.

So, local manifest has been altered, synced, and building. Next morning I should have some indication on how it went. Maybe this time tomorrow I will have build three for the week - with working mobile data - uploaded!

Sent from my MeMO Pad 8"

UPDATE:

Guess what I found 3:00 in the morning...see attached clip. :D

Updated ROM is uploading right now.

CHANGE LOG:
  • Alteration to local manifest in include both hardware_ril projects
  • Some commits to android_device_asus_mofd-common and android_hardware_intel_img_hwcomposer (Aug 9th and 10th)
  • Usual upstream changes

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-11-03-45-29crop.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-11-03-45-29crop.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A) - Updated August 9, 2016

Cover%2BGoogle.jpg

Another build, compiled from source. But before I get too far...

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and
     * YOU acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.
     */

Now that that's out of the way, this is a build of CarbonROM, using the device tree, kernel and advice from @jrior001 and @crpalmer. The current build is based off the latest CyanogenMod commits (and upstream AOSP) available at the time..

NOTICE:

Final build coming.

As work with Nougat begins, I will need to switch over to the MM bootloader. I won't be going back (downgrading) to check builds. For OctOS, as that is MM anyway, I can begin special builds (reliant on the MM bootloader) once I become established. For Carbon LP, it means the end of the road.

The September Android Security Bulletin should filter down to LP in about a week. Once that is done, I will crank out the final build, test, and post. Device-identity-wise, the only difference between the upcoming build and the one previous is the fix to the "off-path TCP" exploit. The ASB will have other fixes, but to the ROM instead (which is why I prefer to wait for the ASB).

Thank you for all the support. Cheers.​

SCREENSHOTS:

WHAT WORKS:
    • Powers on
    • Phone calls and texts
    • Mobile data (later builds)
    • Torch
    • Charges
    • MTP
    • Play Store

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
    • GPS works, but does not seem to lock on out-of-the-box. Download your country's gps.conf and replace.
    • Doubtful NFC will work, as it does not look like that functionality is built into CarbonROM (missing nfc_enhanced.mk).
    • A random reboot was detected, at which point mobile data was lost. Toggle airplane mode to restore data.
    • As this ROM shares the same device tree as CM, this will share the same flaws. Otherwise, please tell me.

DOWNLOAD:

GAPPS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Download ROM above, and a GApps package
    • Save/push files to your (External) SD card (preferably in the root folder where you can find it later)
    • Reboot into recovery ("adb reboot recovery")
    • Nandroid/Back up device (optional, but highly recommended)
    • Wipe cache and data/factory reset (unless updating from previous CarbonROM version)
    • Install ROM and GApps
    • Wipe Dalvik cache
    • Reboot
    • Enjoy!

CREDITS:
    • jrior001
    • crpalmer
    • deadman96385
    • CyanogenMod
    • CarbonDev (incl. Christian Oder)
    • Niropa
    • rirozizo
    • NSLUG

Did I miss anything? I appreciate the feedback, and any thanks as well!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL][LP 5.1.1] CarbonROM (Z00A), ROM for the Asus ZenFone 2

Contributors
    joel.maxuel
    Source Code: https://github.com/carbon-z00a

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-08-07
    Last Updated 2016-09-10
    October 4th build...13th...18th...25th...30th.

...is being uploaded as-I-write.

For changes, not much, except the stuff in the bringup topic (SOT meter always shows, differentiation of sensor ID's, and charger connect behaviour).

Unable to upload to DevDB agian, so be sure to check out AndroidFIleHost for download file!

UPDATE (why make a new post?):

Currently uploading October 13th build. AFH only once again, if DevDB gets fixed before next week I will hopefully get the latest uploaded locally.

Change-wise, took advantage of the latest frameworks_base changes in the quick-charge-ui topic (plus any other stuff that was updated in the background).

Enjoy! :)

FURTHER UPDATE

New week, new download. :D
    October 18th build is online now, in both locations.

ONE WEEK LATER

Uploading October 25th build right now, going on AFH Mirror first.

Forgot to mention last week that we have gestures now. Just need to enable them (Settings > CarbonROM Fibers > Advanced Options)

Didn't really look at the device changes or the upstream changes today (only the CM topics, which have no new code). If I take a peek in a little while, I will update this post with the coles notes.

Enjoy!

FINAL OF THE MONTH

October 30th build up. I may slow down at this point, since focus is going toward Android 6.0 on many sides. I will watch the Carbon gerrit (lp5.1.1 branch) for any significant changes.

I have been fresh flashing for the past five weeks or so and then going back to a backup, so I haven't had much time to look around. I did today, brought my backup up to current. An app failed (Agenda Widget), that didn't fail with a fresh setup. Frustrated, and after I had some eyes on the logcat, I ended up switching to a different app (one that has been maintained for the past couple years).

The features I have been looking for are finally present: automatic call forwarding; edition of tiles (I wanted my sound toggle back). I notice you can enable onscreen nav bar and disable the hardware buttons (a later flash will make you turn the long press recents back on as well). Strangely enough, SlimPIE has disappeared. But, I didn't find it's experience all that consistent anyway.

There's a glitch with the "number in the circle" battery meter, that if you set to charge, a percent will appear next to the circle as well. But that may have been my fault when I committed the quick charge UI stuff. Speaking of UI, I finally tried out CM themes. Downloaded "Dark Material", works well (except that the in-call dialer is hard to see, but no big deal right now). And I mentioned the tiles earlier. When I tried to edit them before themes Settings would FC. Now, I have no issue.

Other than that, with two hour SOT since the latest flash (and a whole lot of flashing around since this morning - about 70% once I was done rebooting), I am down to 35% battery life.

Well, enough notes for tonight.
    Other Info...

For those following along....

Project GitHub: https://github.com/carbon-z00a (complete fork of CarbonROM LP with ZF2 device projects)

LOCAL MANIFEST:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>

<remote name="cr-z00a"
    revision="lp5.1.1" />

<remote name="cm-z00a"
    revision="cm-12.1" />

<remote name="muppet"
    fetch="https://github.com/TheMuppets"
    revision="cm-12.1" />

<remote name="cyanogenmod"
    fetch="https://github.com/CyanogenMod"
    revision="cm-12.1" />

<!-- CM-ZENFONE2 DEVICE PROJECTS -->
    <project name="android_device_asus_Z00A" path="device/asus/Z00A" remote="cr-z00a" />
    <project name="android_device_asus_mofd-common" path="device/asus/mofd-common" remote="cm-z00a" />
    <project name="android_kernel_asus_moorefield" path="kernel/asus/moorefield" remote="cm-z00a" />
    <project name="proprietary_vendor_asus" path="vendor/asus" remote="muppet" />
    </manifest>

CHERRY PICK(S):

Code:
    None.

Make a new folder for and then initialize the build tree:
    Code:
    mkdir carbon
    cd carbon
    repo init -u https://github.com/carbon-z00a/android.git -b lp5.1.1

Copy your Z00A local manifest to ".repo/local_manifests/" (you may need to create the local manifests folder first), and then sync everything:
    Code:
    cp ../Z00A.xml .repo/local_manifests/
    repo sync -f

Complete all the normal steps at this point. :cowboy:

CHANGE LOG:

Besides the project git hub...

Working Build (Sept. 5th)

Well, after 10 failed builds, Carbon issued this commit, and saved my bacon. New release is up now. There should be a lot more stability now - I notice Adobe Acrobat doesn't force close anymore. Interested in what else is working better.

Change-log wise (being lazy because it's after midnight here), there is:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/c6a0a131c9027a0df341b7bb1dfce2af933b6499 (android_bootable_recovery)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_system_core/commit/3c0e570fd28a132b2ee6c6fc73b50cb2a9702087 (android_system_core)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/b922f572d10a101f003b6ba39ae760d5fd12dd84 (android_bootable_recovery)

...to my forked projects (CM upstream patches). The rest are upstream to either the device identity, to Carbon, CM, or AOSP (see post two for changelog links).

Have a great day!
    Another Build (August 22)

Uploading the latest version now...up! :cowboy:

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes:
    • Device identity using the 2.20.x firmware
    • Fix recovery image text rendering; Support resuming block based OTAs; Initialize stashbase even stash_max_blocks = 0 (android_bootable_recovery)
    • Upstream updates from August 15th to end-of-day August 21st (see post two for gerrit details)