Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant

Search This thread

blunden

Jun 11, 2009
@blackplatypus - will this work with unrooted HTC Desire froyo?

Do I need to do anything special with the file wpa_adhoc-signed.zip other than renaming it to update.zip and flashing in recovery?

I'm getting verification failed message :(

Please help - Android Noob
You need a rooted phone and a custom recovery to modify /system and/or flash user-made updates.

eortizr

Jul 6, 2010
Dallas,Texas
try to connect with another laptop or smartphone, so that you know if the problem is in the device or in the connection of your laptop. i had the same problem but it was in the wifi connection on my pc

Still nothing.. it just get stock obtaining IP.. but never gets it... the iphone connects just fine to the same computer...

eXop

Apr 20, 2010
Antwerp
I've installed it on Cronos Droid 2.1.3, which is a Android 2.1 rom. On a GSM Hero.
It works like a charm, no known issues whatsoever.

I'm able to connect to normale WiFi ap's and i'm able to connect to ad-hoc connections made from my laptop which runs Win7.

luvjones305

May 6, 2010
MIAMI,FL
hi

im new what is ad-hoc because i cant never connect to NETGEAR or even D-LINK OR EVEN TP-LINK-DE814C but i can connect to any linksys an all of them are open plus hotels they are not locked i even change my last 3 numbers on my ip address is those netgear an d-link tp-link are they ad-hoc i even installed it in my phone it won't let me connect to any thing it keep foreclosed the wifi before i even turn it on but i took it off an every thing is normal but i cant connect to those other wifi access thanks help

eXop

Apr 20, 2010
Antwerp
im new what is ad-hoc because i cant never connect to NETGEAR or even D-LINK OR EVEN TP-LINK-DE814C but i can connect to any linksys an all of them are open plus hotels they are not locked i even change my last 3 numbers on my ip address is those netgear an d-link tp-link are they ad-hoc i even installed it in my phone it won't let me connect to any thing it keep foreclosed the wifi before i even turn it on but i took it off an every thing is normal but i cant connect to those other wifi access thanks help

Some punctuation would make this readable ... How can you function with this spelling?

lefsp

Apr 28, 2010
I've installed it on Cronos Droid 2.1.3, which is a Android 2.1 rom. On a GSM Hero.
It works like a charm, no known issues whatsoever.

I'm able to connect to normale WiFi ap's and i'm able to connect to ad-hoc connections made from my laptop which runs Win7.

+1

works great on Cronos 2.1.3

so it should probably work in all 2.1 based Hero roms!

great work really needed that!

ZedeN

Dec 20, 2009
Bristol
anyone had any success with Desire? Mine gets stuck on obtaining IP adress.. But im able to connect to the same connection with my Magic

shixue

Aug 21, 2010
my desire unable to obtain ip...tried manually set static ip, it will keep on reconnect

LeeDrOiD_v1.9
Radio 5_09_00_20
Hboot 0.82

Gootah

Apr 5, 2007
Brooklyn
uuuhhhh....

The patch didn't work for me at first. I got "Error" while trying to turn my wi-fi on. :(
But when I restored the original /system/etc/wifi/tiwlan.ini and /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf back in the phone, it started detecting ad-hoc networks.
So the patch worked after all. :D

Thanks. :)

[EDIT]
Did not work after I rebooted my phone.

HTC Hero Brown
Running: FroydVillain 1.2.2
Kernel: 2.6.29-nindroid-ninpo@titan #302
Operator: Airtel India

I have this same error in my myTS after applying this, I didnt read that it was G1/Hero ONLY. Can I restore my files also? Where do I get them? Do I have to adb or can I just flash a ROM?

luvjones305

May 6, 2010
MIAMI,FL
help

im new what is ad-hoc because i cant never connect to NETGEAR or even D-LINK OR EVEN TP-LINK-DE814C. but i can connect to any linksys an all of them are open plus hotels they are not locked. i even change my last 3 numbers on my ip address is those netgear an d-link tp-link are they ad-hoc i even installed it in my phone it won't let me connect to any thing. it keep foreclosed the wifi before i even turn it on but i took it off an every thing is normal but i cant connect to those other wifi access thanks help

trinityEon

Jun 11, 2010
Johannesburg
im new what is ad-hoc because i cant never connect to NETGEAR or even D-LINK OR EVEN TP-LINK-DE814C. but i can connect to any linksys an all of them are open plus hotels they are not locked. i even change my last 3 numbers on my ip address is those netgear an d-link tp-link are they ad-hoc i even installed it in my phone it won't let me connect to any thing. it keep foreclosed the wifi before i even turn it on but i took it off an every thing is normal but i cant connect to those other wifi access thanks help

Ad-hoc is connecting two devices wirelessly without the need for a hotspot, access point or hub. meaning if your phone/laptop and a friends phone/laptop set up an ad hoc network you can share files via wireless.

Great work here guys for achieving the once thought impossible :)

+1 vote from me too if someone has this working on hTc Desire, Please share the how to, I would love to be able to use ad-hoc desire to my laptop.

I am running LeeDroids 1.9a

Last edited:

luvjones305

May 6, 2010
MIAMI,FL
THANKS

ad-hoc is connecting two devices wirelessly without the need for a hotspot, access point or hub. Meaning if your phone/laptop and a friends phone/laptop set up an ad hoc network you can share files via wireless.

Great work here guys for achieving the once thought impossible :)

+1 vote from me too if someone has this working on htc desire, please share the how to, i would love to be able to use ad-hoc desire to my laptop.

I am running leedroids 1.9a

thank you did this work for you cuz i tried it it cut my wifi off i uninstall it an its working fine now an how will i know if my ad-hoc is on my phone or working thanks

gene83

Aug 26, 2010
It works on my HTC Hero. Rom:VillainROM12
Thank you very much for it. I am waiting this for long time.

joshcom

Aug 25, 2010
How do I remove the patch.zip since it gets stuck on obtaining ip?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Niggo372

Aug 28, 2010
Berlin
Hey,

when I try to flash the update.zip (Bootloader->Recovery->Power+Up-Key->apply sdcard:update.zip - hopefully right) I get a "E:signature verification failed" message.

Device:
Nexus One
Froyo FRF91
Rooted

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Niggo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heya,

Unfortunately android, to be precisely wpa_supplicant does not show ad-hoc networks, the following modified wpa_supplicant shows them, haven't seen it before so I posted it :).

all credits go to szym (http://szym.net/android/adhoc-wpa-supp.html)

The patch below modifies the wpa_supplicant code in the external/wpa_supplicant AOSP repo to make ad-hoc networks appear as regular APs with a (*) prefix.

The patch:

* removes the [IBSS] flag from scan results,
    * masquerades and demasquerades ad-hoc ssid with (*) prefix
    * sets mode 1 (ad-hoc) if the ssid is for IBSS
    * permits the supplicant to select an IBSS when associating to a given ssid

patch: http://szym.net/android/wpa_supplicant-ibss.patch

The only thing I did was to apply the patch compile it for froyo and supply a signed update zip with the modified wpa_supplicant, work was done by szym.

Flash the attached wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery and your done :).

a3e00f284ddff04804ba8d59364712b1 wpa_adhoc-signed.zip (v0.5.11)

Works with:

- Froyo/Eclair roms on HTC Hero (confirmed)
    - roms using wpa_supplicant v0.5.x

Attention:
    - It _seems_ like some rom using wpa_supplicant v0.6.x do not work! take care (e.g HTC Desire). Please report back.

you may check this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7716862&postcount=24

Always do a nandroid backup!!
    i took it off by reinstalling the same rom over it deleted the kernel an the wifi to so im back to normal now but yea how do i do this properly i thought i just it on the rom an every thing is ok lol an whats adb

its included in the android sdk toolchain.

Can all the people which had problems, check the version of wpa_supplicant their rom is using? connectbot or via adb in cmd.exe/shell (adb shell wpa_supplicant -v) and post the output?.

It seems like some newer roms are using wpa_supplicant v6 with different libs.

You can try to use the precompiled wpa_supplicant from daveba http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7711198&postcount=6

our flash the attached signed update zip. (its the same file)

Attention: its not my file!!
    Sweet.

I got this working on my HTC Flyer WiFi with FlyHigh Rom.

Extract the wpa_supplicant from the zip file. Back up your original. Turn WiFi off. Use Root Explorer to paste it into your system/bin folder. Change the permissions on the file to rwxr-xr-x. Turn wifi back on. When scanning it should show (*) in front of any adhoc networks. I have it running with barnacle wifi tether on my OG Droid! W00tness!
    Would anyone provide "ad-hoc support in wep" in a signed update zip? Thanks.
    I got this working on my HTC Flyer WiFi with FlyHigh Rom.

Extract the wpa_supplicant from the zip file. Back up your original. Turn WiFi off. Use Root Explorer to paste it into your system/bin folder. Change the permissions on the file to rwxr-xr-x. Turn wifi back on. When scanning it should show (*) in front of any adhoc networks. I have it running with barnacle wifi tether on my OG Droid! W00tness!

Thank you. you are a genius