Bootloop + E:unable to mount /data

Search This thread

formobicho

Mar 16, 2014
Moderator Notes: I was asked to sticky this thread as it seems to be a recurring issue and a couple of fixes are in the posts.

Sorry my bad english am latin.
Hi guys first thread here and i need your help. Here s the thing, i was using my tf700, browsering, and the tablet goes off, i tried start up and a bootloop appears. So i go to Recovery (latest TWRP) and i tried to flash a ROM (latest crombi kk), like always i tried to wipe cache and dav bfore flash it but that proces seems to fail, and a couple of messages like unable to mount /data unable to mount /system appears, first time happening, i never had troubles with the tablet. So i tried to get fastboot mode and run the fastboot erase cach command (i read in a forum dat some guy did that and work for him), so i download the adb fastboot files, i connect the tf700 to my laptop (windows 7 64bit) and a installing drivers message and i wait and the driver that is called Transformer did not install, i dont know where to get those drivers, i found a file Asus usb drivers and bla bla but when i unzip the file i get 3 folders and no .exe or installer. So i tried to continue and i enter fastboot mode in the tablet and connect usb tablet-pc, and now another driver installing message appears, now is a driver called Fastboot, so i wait anda again the driver did not install correctly. So i continue and open cmd and tried the comman for erase cache, and only appears the WAITING FOR DEVICE text. i donw know waht to do, i also tried flashing again a ROM, bt only bootloop, trie again to wipe cache and dav but is only unable to mount /data. Any ideas ????

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: f000l

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi guys first thread here and i need your help. Here s the thing, i was using my tf700, browsering, and the tablet goes off, i tried start up and a bootloop appears. So i go to Recovery (latest TWRP) and i tried to flash a ROM (latest crombi kk), like always i tried to wipe cache and dav bfore flash it but that proces seems to fail, and a couple of messages like unable to mount /data unable to mount /system appears, first time happening, i never had troubles with the tablet. So i tried to get fastboot mode and run the fastboot erase cach command (i read in a forum dat some guy did that and work for him), so i download the adb fastboot files, i connect the tf700 to my laptop (windows 7 64bit) and a installing drivers message and i wait and the driver that is called Transformer did not install, i dont know where to get those drivers, i found a file Asus usb drivers and bla bla but when i unzip the file i get 3 folders and no .exe or installer. So i tried to continue and i enter fastboot mode in the tablet and connect usb tablet-pc, and now another driver installing message appears, now is a driver called Fastboot, so i wait anda again the driver did not install correctly. So i continue and open cmd and tried the comman for erase cache, and only appears the WAITING FOR DEVICE text. i donw know waht to do, i also tried flashing again a ROM, bt only bootloop, trie again to wipe cache and dav but is only unable to mount /data. Any ideas ????

More likely your data partition got corrupted.

Try wiping it or formatting /data in TWRP to see if that helps? You will lose everything if you don't have backups.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
i already tried that, wiping (cache, dav, system, ata, factoty reset) anything gives the unable to mount /data error.

You'll need to manually format it using the terminal in TWRP

Make sure data is umounted then run this command. Make sure you have charged it as well or leave it plugged in.

It can take a number of hours to complete.

Code:
mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p8

formobicho

Mar 16, 2014

Make sure data is umounted then run this command. Make sure you have charged it as well or leave it plugged in.

Code:

first of all is an honor chat with the legend sbdags!!! second can u guide me step by step. i did enter in twrp and go to advanced then terminal command then a selection menu appear and said browse to starting folder and a list of folder appears and a botton with Select Folder, wich folder i must select now? i tried just hit the select folder button and then i put the command taht u said and in the terminal said mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-dec-2010) nothing more and nothing happen

Reactions: Okum4

chukkie

Apr 8, 2010

Code:

Thank you so much sbdags.

You're a life save thought I had softbricked my tf700

Muchas gracias

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
first of all is an honor chat with the legend sbdags!!! second can u guide me step by step. i did enter in twrp and go to advanced then terminal command then a selection menu appear and said browse to starting folder and a list of folder appears and a botton with Select Folder, wich folder i must select now? i tried just hit the select folder button and then i put the command taht u said and in the terminal said mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-dec-2010) nothing more and nothing happen

Did you unmount data first?

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Thank you so much sbdags.

You're a life save thought I had softbricked my tf700

Muchas gracias

You are welcome!

;)

Reactions: brinza

carbon14c

Nov 10, 2007
EDIT - somehow the format finally took.. after 5 or 6 reboots.. very strange

okay, i hate to bump this thread. but i have been searching for a few nights and i cannot find a solution. i am having the same problem as OP.

Essentially, my tablet was interrupted mid format. I believe my data partition is corrupted. I can access recovery/fastboot and the tablet accepts commands from my PC. i have TWRP 2.7.1.1 on the tablet right now.

i tried what sdbags said:

Code:

this did not work. i got the same "mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-dec-2010)" output, and then the tablet rebooted back into TWRP over again. (data was not mounted, i cannot mount it at all)

some more output from my tablets TWRP console:

Code:
e:could not mount/data and unable to find crypto footer.
e:unable to mount '/data'
e:unable to recreate /data/media folder/
updating partition details...
e:unable to mount internal storage.
e:unable to mount /data/media during gui startup
full selinux support is present.
e:unable to mount /data/,edia/twrp/.twrps when trying to read settings file.

is there another way to fix my corrupted partition?

Last edited:

brinza

Sep 5, 2013
this did not work. i got the same "mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-dec-2010)" output, and then the tablet rebooted back into TWRP over again. (data was not mounted, i cannot mount it at all)
I have exactly same situation :rolleyes:

edit: after running this command
it prompt
Starting Path : /external_sd
and there is also button "KILL" when I hit enter it prompt : /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 is appereatly in use by the system: Will not make a file system here!

Any advice? (sry for being this big noob!)

Last edited:

brinza

Sep 5, 2013
Code:
adb shell
killall -19 recovery
make_ext4fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
reboot

Type in those commands via a usb connection to your device whilst it is in recovery.
Wouw thanks for so fast reply :highfive:.
But I think I'll disepoint you "usb debugging is disabled" :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any way I can reinstall stock from fastboot? damn it......

Last edited:

brinza

Sep 5, 2013
Wouw thanks for so fast reply :highfive:.
But I think I'll disepoint you "usb debugging is disabled" :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any way I can reinstall stock from fastboot? damn it......

No idea how when and after what exactly but the installation of stock rom started by itself after couple of reboots and couple of command i tried. (I had a file : US_epad-user-10.6.1.14.10.zip on my SD card

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Code:
adb shell
killall -19 recovery
reboot

Type in those commands via a usb connection to your device whilst it is in recovery.

Probably a Bad Idea - you should unmount /data before formatting. Then it should also not hurt to keep the recovery running.

timdentistsat

Oct 3, 2014
Unbrick my TF 700t

Accidentally, bricking my tablet
I try Advance and Terminal Command with TRWP at tablet, it did not work
but when I try with command from PC (desktop), it works like a charm. I was able to see internal storage
from that just re install Custom ROM. Thank alot to sdbag:)

genious91

Oct 8, 2014
Istanbul
Thanks a lot...

After a long research I have found your thread.
I have almost given up looking for this damn issue...
At last, It became real! You are a real life saver. :)

SemiNoob314

Jan 27, 2015
sbdags help!

1) i dont know how to unmount data .
2) when i click advanced then terminal command it opens- Browse to starting folder and gives the file manager kind of view.
3) so i tried using adb on computer
the first three command work(i think but the third gives this error not enough space) .

please suggest a solution. thank you in advance

device moto g xt1033
i tried downgrading from lollipop 5.0 brasilian to kitkat but it wont go past warning bootloader unlocked screen. when i flash cm from twrp, it gives 3 errors
E:/ unable to mount '/data'
E:/ unable to mount '/cache'
E:/ unable to mount internal storage

then when i start it just keeps on loading on cm logo

should i create a separate thread for all this?
'

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 2,258

das chaos

Jan 28, 2014
1) i dont know how to unmount data .
2) when i click advanced then terminal command it opens- Browse to starting folder and gives the file manager kind of view.
3) so i tried using adb on computer
the first three command work(i think but the third gives this error not enough space) .

please suggest a solution. thank you in advance

device moto g xt1033
i tried downgrading from lollipop 5.0 brasilian to kitkat but it wont go past warning bootloader unlocked screen. when i flash cm from twrp, it gives 3 errors
E:/ unable to mount '/data'
E:/ unable to mount '/cache'
E:/ unable to mount internal storage

then when i start it just keeps on loading on cm logo

should i create a separate thread for all this?
'

Question: Why don't you care to read the short thread from beginning?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    adb shell
    killall -19 recovery
    reboot

i already tried that, wiping (cache, dav, system, ata, factoty reset) anything gives the unable to mount /data error.

Code:

More likely your data partition got corrupted.

Try wiping it or formatting /data in TWRP to see if that helps? You will lose everything if you don't have backups.
    Moderator Notes: I was asked to sticky this thread as it seems to be a recurring issue and a couple of fixes are in the posts.

If you can get into fastboot there's plenty you can do. How about your recovery? What version are you running and can you boot it?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk