[APP] YAPT - Voice Messaging

Search This thread

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi XDAers

I am hoping this is the right place to announce my first Android app. If not then please do accept my apologies in advance.

YAPT is a simple & free voice messaging Android application that enables sending short voice messages from one YAPT user to another.

Its abit like Push to Talk and not like Push to Talk - for want of a better description :). Its different from Push To Talk in that voice messages are handled like emails - so these are received in your YAPT inbox (with notifications) and can be replied to at your convenience.

I built YAPT because I love the idea of Push to Talk but find it inconvenient that anyone can contact me and my Android's speaker phone could burst into full volume at any instant.

Search for YAPT in the android market or visit yapt.net for more information and release notes.

Like I said, this is my first Android (and mobile phone application) so a few bits will be abit rough or might not work.

Any feedback or suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Finally, I hope someone finds this app useful :).

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi XDAers.

Sorry for replying to my own post :).

Just a quick update to mention that the 1.1 version development is under way. Some features I hope might be useful:
  • Extend voice message limit length from 10 to 20 seconds
  • Ability to send images (might have to limit image size - 50k?)
  • Ability to send text messages
  • Improve contact listing - it is abit spartan ATM... add contact photo for example
  • Threaded message view

Other ideas greatly appreciated :).

tdiman

Jun 30, 2010
Dedham, MA
I think the #1 issue that would keep me from using this app more often is that it lacks push notifications. To truly be useful, it needs to be almost instantaneous, and 5 minute polling seems like it will take a toll on the battery. Although we'll try it out for a week or so and see what happens. I applaud the effort, as it does fill an unmet need.

Doesn't the android SDK have a push notification framework?

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi tdiman.

Thanks for the feedback :D.

Doesn't the android SDK have a push notification framework?

I would love to use Android's C2DM but unfortunately that is only available in Froyo, which makes it abit tricky as I am trying to support 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices ATM. There might be alternatives so I will investigate this so more.

Polling can be taken down to 30 seconds but that would stop the device from sleeping, which would drain the battery. Like you said, the default is to poll every 5 minutes which shouldn't wake the device up too often.

Cheers.

dlaciv12

Apr 25, 2010
Brockton, MA
I would love to use Android's C2DM but unfortunately that is only available in Froyo, which makes it abit tricky as I am trying to support 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices ATM.
Cheers.

More than half of active Android devices are on 2.1 and it won't be long before 2.2 is the majority.
I think this has an amazing potential, keep up the good work.

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi dlaciv12.

I think I found a possible solution to push notifications using IBM's MQTT protocol, which would work on 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices.

I am going to revisit this early-mid next week once I get the bulk of the 1.1 release done in the next few days. I'll either tag this onto the end of 1.1 or as the first feature of 1.2

Again, thank you both for the suggestions and the encouragement :D.

needoZ

Jul 5, 2010
Do you have to use your cellphone number or can you use your Google Voice number?

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi NeedoZ

Do you have to use your cellphone number or can you use your Google Voice number?

That does depend on which number is used when someone wants to contact you. I live in the UK and haven't used Google Voice (we don't have it here).

Do they ring your Google Voice number, which then directs the call to your cellphone? If so then I would use the Google Voice number and not your cellphone number.

Currently there is no way to change your registered number - I am working on adding a "handset management" feature to the yapt.net website.

Cheers.

themuddler

Oct 11, 2009
Push

To avoid having to poll, and for those who have push email setup on their phone already (eg with the gmail app), could you catch the arrival of new mail from the mail app rather than polling the server independently?

It's just an idea and I'm well out of my technical depth, but thought I'd put it forward. Feel free to shoot it down!

gogol

May 20, 2005
Why can't you make an OPTION to have Android push (C2DM) technology for Android 2.2+ device?

Because at the end, most devices will be upgraded to 2.2 anyway.

If you just stick with the old polling method (or any other fancy IBM push thingy), your app would be outdated by then. I can imagine more and more app will move to Android C2DM.

Why not you BE THE FIRST to have this wonderful Android C2DM ... Certainly, your app will be the most talked about.

Imagine, easy to use voice messaging for Android which uses push technology!

Back to your app, how many voice messaging will user get per day?
For me? probably none :) 1 or 2 ... And I dont want my device to draw battery power by polling every 5 minutes just for that. User will be put-off and scared ... your app will not be popular.

So, make an option. A checkbox [ ] Use Android Push ...
Implement a nice and easy to use GUI ...

You will be the winner!

Believe me, BE THE FIRST ... be the first ....................................

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi themuddler and gogol

I am currently working on Push notification as opposed to polling.

I'll post updates to this thread and probably requests for beta testers :D.

Cheers.

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi all.

Just a quick update to say that after several days hit & miss I've finally got Push notifications working for Android 1.6 <-> 2.2 devices! Wohoooo!! :D

It actually makes quite a difference that voice messages are received in a matter of seconds. Thanks for the great suggestion!

I'm going to leave the new build running on my handset overnight to see what the battery impact is before I publish it to the Market tomorrow morning (if all goes well).

I've attached the beta YAPT to this thread if any brave and kind souls would like to test this as well.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Time for a beer I think... :)

Edit - Still needs some more testing.... attachment removed... for safety.

Last edited:

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
"Good news everyone!!"

YAPT 1.0.10 has just been uploaded to the Market. The 1.0.10 release replaces message polling with a push notification mechanism.

In short this means that new voice message notifications should appear within five seconds of them being sent.

In the end I did not use Google's C2DM as that is only available for Android 2.2. I've put in abit of effort in making YAPT compatible with 1.6 <-> 2.2 phones and wanted the same to apply to the Push Notification mechanism.... so I rolled my own that should work for all 1.6 to 2.2 Android devices.

Please upgrade to 1.0.10 and give the new Push notification functionality a try. Any help in stress testing this new code would be very much appreciated.

Again, please report any problems you have or add new suggests to this thread. :). Keep the good suggestions coming :D.

Next task is redesigning and tweaking the UI.

gogol

May 20, 2005
What kind of push technology do you use?

And how scalable is it? I know C2DM is pretty much scalable because it is using Google own servers.

WhatsApp is using C2DM for 2.2 users, and I believe it (will be able) can send audio messages as well.

What's the advantage of your YAPT compare to WhatsApp?

Last edited:

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi Gogol.

What kind of push technology do you use?

YAPT uses HTTP Streaming. It should work pretty much the same as C2DM (although no doubt Google's implementation is more elegant than mine). Basically YAPT keeps a low-level connection open to the server, even when it is asleep. The phone is woken up to retrieve a new message only when a new message notification is sent to the phone.

I'll revisit C2DM once Android 2.2 gains wider market share.

And how scalable is it?

It should be pretty scalable. I've tested 10,000 concurrent connections without any issues (except on my client PC which was opening the 10,000 connections). I've set an upper limit of 1,000,000 concurrent connections on the server for the time being.

What's the advantage of your YAPT compare to WhatsApp?

I am not familiar with WhatsApp so can't comment. The only thing I can say is that YAPT supports Android 1.6 and upwards in regards to voice messaging and now instant notifications on new messages

I am working to add many more features to YAPT (i.e sending text, images, video etc) once the current code base stabilises. :)

Last edited:

tdiman

Jun 30, 2010
Dedham, MA
Hi XDAers.

Sorry for replying to my own post :).

Just a quick update to mention that the 1.1 version development is under way. Some features I hope might be useful:
  • Extend voice message limit length from 10 to 20 seconds
  • Ability to send images (might have to limit image size - 50k?)
  • Ability to send text messages
  • Improve contact listing - it is abit spartan ATM... add contact photo for example
  • Threaded message view

Other ideas greatly appreciated :).

I like the new push notifications. My biggest suggestion now is to figure a way to limit the number of steps needed to send a message. "Push to talk" gives users the expectation of a quick and simple way to send voice notes.

For example, the steps to send a message include:

1) Run YAPT
2) Push Menu
3) Push Record New Voice Message
4) Hold down button/volume and record message
5) Hit contacts button, a few more buttons to select contact
6) click save
7) Click Menu
8) Click sync to send off
9) Exit app

What about sync-on-save so that you don't have to send the messages in your outbox, so the functionality mirrors text/mms better? This would eliminate 2 steps.

A way to change the default screen to record new message would remove another 2 steps.

What if you had a "record new message" widget (premium version, perhaps)? You push down on the widget, it records the message, and then pops up a (perhaps user defined? or "favorites"?) sender list, you select the sender, and then its done. 2 steps, message sent. Or even better, have the widget tied to a contact.

These are just suggestions - I'm sure you can think of other better or easier to implement ways to streamline the sending process, but I think that it is crucial for more widespread adoption.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Or how about you go the route that Palringo uses to send Voice messages instantly!!! It's almost like a walkie talkie!!

Cause at the end of the day, People want to be able to use your app and that voice feature instantly with as little steps as possible!!

Keep up the good work though!!

mcnaz

Aug 20, 2010
Hi tdiman.

I like the new push notifications. My biggest suggestion now is to figure a way to limit the number of steps needed to send a message. "Push to talk" gives users the expectation of a quick and simple way to send voice notes.

I do agree that the process can be far more streamlined than it currently is and your excellent suggestions will most definitely help with that.

I should have an update out in the next day or so that implements some, if not all, of these (except the widget - I love the idea but will save it for after the 1.1 UI update release).

Cheers.