HTC Desire Reboot Loop Problem

Search This thread

sudman

May 29, 2009
Reading
I have an interesting problem, kind of. Bought my phone second hand as supposedly unlocked & debranded but on boot up it after the HTC logo I get the Virgin Media logo, not really an issue though. Anyway the problem is when I switch the phone off and then switch on again it boots up fine to the home screen and then it will reboot itself and carries on doing this. i.e. boot up to home screen then reboot again continuously.

To get out of this reboot loop I have to remove the sim & boot the phone with no sim in it then switch off and insert my normal Vodafone phone sim and switch on again. after that the phone is fine until I power down and then the same thing happens.

Anybody else experienced this or got any ideas?? It came with 1.15.405.4 firmware already installed and I have tried reflashing with the same firmware using the goldcard method & it worked but the problem remains. When the sim registers on the network is when the reboot loop seems to start. :)

TieT

Dec 10, 2008
did you try reflashing it ?
hold down the side button (down) and press on at the same time.

then select erase data and press on again

if you bought it second hand, its hard to say what the previous user has done with it ...

sudman

May 29, 2009
Reading
Yep tried reflashing it, just about to reflash again with an older rom. It's just wierd that a sim card authenticating to the network would cause a reboot loop. :(

gens6200

Mar 18, 2010
Copenhagen
did you try reflashing it ?
hold down the side button (down) and press on at the same time.

then select erase data and press on again

if you bought it second hand, its hard to say what the previous user has done with it ...

Maybe it's a dumb question - But I'm having some issues that doesn't seem to get solved by a factory reset - Would it be an idea to reflash it for this, so the phone gets a fresh rom?

How would I do it specifically? Do you know of a guide somewhere?

sudman

May 29, 2009
Reading
Ye tried a different sim card, boots fine and all is good till you reboot the phone and then the same happens again. Anyways flashing was a disaster this time round as I was doing it on my work pc and Symantec kicked in thinking it found a virus with adb.exe and halted the process & quarrantined the file. Now everytime I try and reflash on a different PC I get the dreaded error(110):file open error. Disconnect the phone & all I get is a black screen & HTC logo. Nice. Thanks Symantec you've just bricked my Desire!!

sudman

May 29, 2009
Reading
*UPDATE* - Fixed.

Removed the battery, left it for a few hours then reflashed on a different pc and it flashed fine. Then thought I'd try & repeat so reflashed with the older rom from here (originally used the newer rom posted on Modaco) and got the error again and again couldn't flash back to the newer. Removed the battery left for an hour and then could reflash again and get it working!! Wierd :)

ikrastev

Jul 13, 2010
I had the same problem.

My Solution: remove battery, remove the SIM, put battery reboot, turnoff, remove battery, put SIM, put battery, boot

Tequila98

Jul 14, 2010
first i want to excuse my bad english,hope you will undestand what i´m trying to say. ;)

i have the same problem since a few days.

first time i notice it,was when the desire was charching and i used it a bit,it restarts again and again.so i put out the battery and wait a few minutes,than it works.

it´s also,when i use it a long time with wifi or 3G....the the phone turns off and i have the boot loop.

but when i take out my sim,it works fine.

my question is,do i need a new sim or is it a hardware problem?

does anybody know?

greetz from germany!

genetial

Aug 19, 2010
manila
same here.

first i want to excuse my bad english,hope you will undestand what i´m trying to say. ;)

i have the same problem since a few days.

first time i notice it,was when the desire was charching and i used it a bit,it restarts again and again.so i put out the battery and wait a few minutes,than it works.

it´s also,when i use it a long time with wifi or 3G....the the phone turns off and i have the boot loop.

but when i take out my sim,it works fine.

my question is,do i need a new sim or is it a hardware problem?

does anybody know?

greetz from germany!

i have the exact same problem!! any solution? after that the phone will boot loop over and over! damn!

Kinma

Dec 27, 2008
Amsterdam
I had the same problem last week.
I suspected it had to do with the EXT3 partition.

Solved it by first flashing the OTA 2.2 ROM (for rooted users) as this does not use the EXT3. Then used Rom manager to recreate the EXT3.

Now all ROMs that use the EXT3 run fine!

genetial

Aug 19, 2010
manila
hmmp

as long as i know, i did not install anything on my phone lately so thats the problem so far and i think tequila98 also having the same problem as me, cause when i remove my sim card the phone works fine. but ive reset my phone yesterday and not restarting so far hope this will continue.

jxleung

Nov 5, 2009
I really wished there was a dead fix to this problem we are all having!

My problem:
My phone was running fine until a few weeks ago. There was no rebooting problems when I first got my phone (April) and when I flashed my phone for the first time (May). Happened a few weeks ago when I was browsing on YouTube where my phone suddenly restarted on it's own.
Before it was once a couple of days, now it has gotten more frequent and annoying.
I don't think the heat is the problem because I don't go on the internet much because of my data plan. I use wifi when I browse the web, youtube, etc. And I certainly don't use Google maps or any heavy duty applications. That's just what I think...
My phone rebooted 3 times today in a time span of 4 hours? I noticed that my phone rebooted itself when I use the camera to take a picture or video. Doesn't happen everytime, but that's what happened today. Also, when my phone rebooted today, my application Advanced Task Killer was automatically removed from my phone! That was weird... But I experienced another reboot even after having the app removed.
I really hope someone can find the core of this problem and fix it!
My phone is running on DeFroST 2.0b Android 2.2
My battery stats: 42% for display, 26% for cell standby, 21% for phone idle, 4% for android system, 3% for voice calls, 2% for android OS

Ehsan021

Jul 29, 2008
Unknown
I really wished there was a dead fix to this problem we are all having!

My problem:
My phone was running fine until a few weeks ago. There was no rebooting problems when I first got my phone (April) and when I flashed my phone for the first time (May). Happened a few weeks ago when I was browsing on YouTube where my phone suddenly restarted on it's own.
Before it was once a couple of days, now it has gotten more frequent and annoying.
I don't think the heat is the problem because I don't go on the internet much because of my data plan. I use wifi when I browse the web, youtube, etc. And I certainly don't use Google maps or any heavy duty applications. That's just what I think...
My phone rebooted 3 times today in a time span of 4 hours? I noticed that my phone rebooted itself when I use the camera to take a picture or video. Doesn't happen everytime, but that's what happened today. Also, when my phone rebooted today, my application Advanced Task Killer was automatically removed from my phone! That was weird... But I experienced another reboot even after having the app removed.
I really hope someone can find the core of this problem and fix it!
My phone is running on DeFroST 2.0b Android 2.2
My battery stats: 42% for display, 26% for cell standby, 21% for phone idle, 4% for android system, 3% for voice calls, 2% for android OS
same problem here guys :( why desire have a this problem ? why no one cant find any solution ?
PLZ help us :confused:

deeeez

Jul 17, 2010
I am having the exact same problem. Seems to be related to the SIM.
But the SIM works fine in another phone.

Did anyone find any more information?

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
If you get random reboots its most likely ther motherboard there is a massive thread about it on the forums. You need to send it off to a HTC repair centre.

rottunix

Jul 25, 2010
Just got this problem.
I rooted yesterday. Today I made a nandroid backup. After that the phone is in a reboot loop.
How is this possible from just and backup???
Tnx.
R

Edit:
Restored backup and is working fine again.

Elim

Feb 17, 2008
Antwerpen
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, same situation here ...
    1) root with unrevoked : ok
    2) backup with clockworkmod in recovery: ok
    3) then the boot loop problem

I simply restored the backup and now my Desire boots again :confused:
    Same here....

Hey Guys,
    i got a very similar behaviour then reported here, but i think it doesn't have to do anything with clockwork mod or root for me.

Sytem before root:
    BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.93.0001
    MICROP-031d
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
    RADIO-5.11.05.27

HTC Stock ROM 2.29.405.5

Procedure i have done:
    - rooted with unrevoked
    - booted into recovery
    - made backup

After doing that the Stock ROM is booting normally then (with root & clockwork), but all custom ROMs i tried to flash out of ClockWork went to boot loop.
    Some of them even get the system up, but after a while (<5 Minutes) they suddenly freeze and reboot to loops, stuck at bootscreen or same behaviour described earlier.

I have restored the Backup of the Stock ROM and everything is fine, but i would really appreciate to get CM6.1.1 or CM7 to work :/

I hope anyone has a idea, what i could try to get it done.

Thanks for help.
    regards deheld1
    Here's my suggestion as I've experienced similar and more.

Backup contents of your SD card to your pc.
    Reformat SD Card using FAT 32. If you're OS is Windows try using program like HP disk formatter.
    If you rooted phone correctly and able to boot phone into recovery, place SD card back into phone and boot in recovery scroll down to partition SD card if using Clockworkmod recovery it will partition SD card using EXT3 512 swap 0 is sufficient for this process you cam change partition size to meet your needs. After this step is completed you should still be in recovery. Now scroll to mounts & storage. You'll want mount device as USB. Now transfer your files from pc back to SD card. Also transfer zip file of custom ROM you'd like to flash. If you have an update.zip file on the root of SD card remove it.

Now unmount your device usb from pc.

Scroll back in recovery to install zip from SD card. Find your recovery-update.zip in the Clockworkmod folder and flash that file. Once its finished your phone should reboot into recovery. Now install zip from SD card again this time flash your choice of ROM you copied previously transferred to your SD card. As always, do full wipe clear cache and dalvik cache before flashing your ROM. Once you install ROM and if all is successful please make sure you enable USB debugging and select Unknown Source Install in your applications settings. Hope this helps.
    All HTC desire phones out of the box maybe contain the same problem - faulty motherboard. I also experienced random reboots on stock 2.2 rom. I sent the phone for repair and everything is fine now. No more random reboots.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium