[ROOT] G2X Gingerbread 2.3.3. stock ROM with flashable zip in Clockworkmod Recovery

Search This thread

TJj33p3rz

Nov 24, 2011
Indiana
Installed about 16 hours ago,been running pretty smooth.No problems so far.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

shane1diamond

Jun 18, 2011
Hawaii
Thanks for this Jboxer. All you guys make it so easy for us noobs! just updated the baseband and needed root to run some root access apps. this took 10sec to do. Thank you!

iitsimran

Feb 1, 2011
Thanks, im on step number 6. Can you please specify it? Im trying and it won't seem to work when i type the commands.

shane1diamond

Jun 18, 2011
Hawaii
Thanks, im on step number 6. Can you please specify it? Im trying and it won't seem to work when i type the commands.

shouldnt be typing in commands at that point. You should be rooted. unless your using the "obsolete" method? If i read the OP right at least..That could be why its not working.

Last edited:

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
If he is stuck at step 6 that would be step six of the old Super One Click which doesn't work on GB. But there is a new version of Super One Click that has a new exploit that does work on GB now.

Reactions: shane1diamond

RueTheDay

Apr 11, 2009
I used this zip to root my phone. Then I used the unroot zip to unroot it because I need to install Good For Enterprise for my work email. Unfortunately it still detects root and fails. Probably because I still have /system/bin/su and /system/xbin/su. How do I get rid of those files (with a read only file system now that I'm unrooted)? Thanks.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I used this zip to root my phone. Then I used the unroot zip to unroot it because I need to install Good For Enterprise for my work email. Unfortunately it still detects root and fails. Probably because I still have /system/bin/su and /system/xbin/su. How do I get rid of those files (with a read only file system now that I'm unrooted)? Thanks.

If you used my unroot zip it should have deleted those files.

Boot into Clockwordmod Recovery and then connect your phone to the computer. CWM Recovery will run be seen on ADB with root permissions. Use ADEB commands to delete the two files.

Before issuing the following commands, after your phone is connected, use the menu in CWM Recovery to mount the system. If you don't mount the system you are seeing CWM's mini Android system and not the phone's. Then use the following ADB commands.

#adb shell rm /system/bin/su
#adb shell rm /system/xbin/su

Now use the CWM Recovery menu to unmount the system. Then reboot your phone.

#adb reboot

That should do the trick for you.

RueTheDay

Apr 11, 2009
If you used my unroot zip it should have deleted those files.

Boot into Clockwordmod Recovery and then connect your phone to the computer. CWM Recovery will run be seen on ADB with root permissions. Use ADEB commands to delete the two files.

Before issuing the following commands, after your phone is connected, use the menu in CWM Recovery to mount the system. If you don't mount the system you are seeing CWM's mini Android system and not the phone's. Then use the following ADB commands.

#adb shell rm /system/bin/su
#adb shell rm /system/xbin/su

Now use the CWM Recovery menu to unmount the system. Then reboot your phone.

#adb reboot

That should do the trick for you.

Awesome. Thank you so much. I will try this when I get home as I don't have ADB at work, but it sounds like it should do the trick.

The other thing I'm worried about is that when I was on 2.2.2 I rooted via SuperOneClick. Then I unrooted, flashed the OTA 2.3.3, and rooted using your root.zip update. I'm worried SuperOneClick may have left some crap behind in bin or xbin that Good For Enterprise may detect. Anything else I should be on the lookout for to delete when I ADB in from CWM? Busybox probably, but I worry there may be other files.

Thanks, again.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
As far as I know Super One Click just pushes superuser.apk (delete this if still in your system), su in system/bin and a logical link to su in /system/xbin. I think it might also install busybox but not sure. Busybox should not be a problem because it is a general utility that many programs use. The other problem is that the data files for superuser will be left behind in your /data subdirectory, but that probably is not a problem. AFter doing all the above and you still cannot install the program you want, figure out which data subdirectly belongs to superuser.apk and delete it.

RueTheDay

Apr 11, 2009
Your instructions worked like a charm and I was then able to install GFE. Thanks again for the help.

outragesjon

Jan 8, 2009
No connection to market or gmail

Everything seems to have worked perfectly, but I no longer have a connection to the market or my gmail, either on cell data or wifi. I can still open pages on the browser. So far is just seems to me google programs. I used recovery to install the unroot .zip file and still had the same problem. I then restored the backup I made before installing the rooted version, but I still have no connection. Anything I'm missing here? Any help? I could live without the market if I had to, but my email is essential.
Dropbox is yet another vital app that has no connection.

Last edited:

Seminoles

Jul 15, 2008
Lakeland
Thanks for your OP used Nvflasher to flash CWM had to us a windows 7 computer 8 will not update drivers I'm on 2.3.4 with March 11 2012 baseband your root zip is working great. I know this is late but phone is new to me an insurance replacement for a MyTouch 4g and must say much better. Looking forward to trying out different ROM's I know old phone and not many still active but us to that. LOL :D

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

Tr33x0rs

Apr 20, 2008
Unrooting and bringing back to stock.

Hey guys, I rooted my phone and installed Hellfire sandwhich about a month ago. The rom seemed to run good at first, and progressively get slower. I just picked up a Nexus 7 and have no desire to run custom roms on my phone anymore as the tablet has all the bells and whistles, therefore at this point i want to bring my phone back to original condition.

I used this guide to root my phone - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594650 and installed HFS from there. I am looking at threads to unroot and some of them are using ADB. The first thing that I did is to load my Nandroid backup from when I oringinally rooted my phone, and I am receiving the message saying "Checking MD5 sums...MD5 mismatch!". I have gone to this thread- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=714114, but I am unable to access my phone via ADB, as it's saying "Error: Device not found". I have tried to boot into CWM and plug the phone in there, but appears that all my drivers are not loading - http://puu.sh/1JH8J and it's still saying device not found. I have tried enabling USB debugging, as well as turning it off. When I plug the phone in, I only have the option of "Media Device (MTP)" or "Camera (PTP), no "charge only" option under "USB Computer Connection".

I am unsure what to do at this point. I have installed the "LGUnitedMobileDriver S4981MAN38AP22 ML WHQL Ver 3.8.1" drivers and still receiving the same error. Sorry if this has been addressed, as I'm sure it has, but can someone point me in the right direction. Thank you!

EDIT**
FIxed, Figured out my problem after transferring the zip numerous times

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update on 9/11/11: Thanks to phburks there is now a flashable zip to root the G2X stock rom. He figured out that the update-binary we were using was not compatible with the G2X. He found the compatible binary that allows us to create flashable zip files. Hats off to phburks. This is an unsigned zip and you should not be required to toggle signature verification. Of course the files required to root the phone (su and Superuser.apk) were created by Chainsdd.

There are two flashable zip packages. The first one roots the G2X. You simply flash it with Clockworkmod Recovery. The second zip unroots the phone for those who wish to unroot their device for whatever reason.

After rooting go to the Android Market and get the Busybox installer referenced below. Use that to install and keep Busybox updated.

Root Zip for G2X: http://www.mediafire.com/?92qpr525ztblh8w
    Unroot Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?2vr7cmgg7qcdn14

HOW TO ROOT

1. Install latest Clockworkmod Recovery using NVFlash, if you haven’t already done so.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1056847

2. Download the root zip package referenced above.

3. Put the zip package on your internal or external sd card on your G2X. Do not unzip the package.

4. Turn off phone and boot into Clockworkmod Recovery by pressing volume down and power and hold until the fancy LG (second one) appears.

5. Select install zip from sd card. Select and flash the root zip package. Note: You navigate in Clockwordmod Recovery by using the volume keys up and down and commit the action by pressing the power button.

6. Reboot your phone. You are now rooted.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING BELOW IS OBSOLETE. IT IS LEFT FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES ONLY.
    Original post made on 9/9/11:

I wanted to run the stock Gingerbread ROM and wanted to root it without flashing a new ROM. I was able to succesfully do it and the instructions are below. I was attempting to make an update.zip to do this but it kept getting a "status 0" error. The original superuser zip by ChainDD also gets this error. So I decided to try and root it using ADB commands while running Clockworkmod Recovery. Here is how I did it. If someone can help me get an update.zip that will install without error in Clockworkmod Recovery to make this easier for people to install it would be much appreciated.

1. Download my G2X root package that includes necessary ADB files (Android SDK install not required) and unzip the contents. The package contains the latest versions of “su” and “Superuser.apk”.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6rdrdfxvdoq9nkv <download link for my root G2X package>

2. Install latest Clockworkmod Recovery using NVFlash, if you haven’t already done so.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1056847

3. Boot into Clockworkmod Recovery by holding down volume down and power until fancy LG logo shows (about ten to fifteen seconds). This is not the first one displayed when the phone powers up. Wait for recovery to start. Just to be safe perform a backup of your device’s current state.

4. Using the recovery menu scroll down to “mounts and storage,” press the power button, scroll down to “mount system” and press the power button.

5. Now that your system is mounted plug your phone into your computer (let drivers install if you have not done before – requires LG USB driver package).
    http://bit.ly/qyoAxY <shortened link for direct download from LG server>

6. Open a command prompt windows on your computer. In the command prompt window change to the directory to where you unzipped the G2X root package.

7. Issue the following ADB commands. Do not type the the text in the brackets <>. That is just information on what the command is doing.

adb kill-server
    <make sure no conflict with another version of adb server running>

adb devices
    <checks to see if phone is connected to adb>

adb push system /system
    <make sure you type a space before “/system”>

adb shell chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    <make sure you type a space before “/system/xbin/su ”>

8. System is now rooted. You can unplug the USB cable now.

9. Now in Clockworkmod Recovery choose “unmount system.”

10. Go back to the main menu and choose “reboot system now.”

11. If you want busybox (some root programs such as Titanium Backup require it) on your system go to the Android Market after rebooting your phone and search on “Busybox.” Download and run the Busybox installer by Stephen (Stericson). When you are prompted allow it to have superuser permissions.
    http://bit.ly/qIAoXZ <link to Android Market page for Busybox>

12. You are now rooted with a working busybox installation.

13. It is a good idea to go back into recovery and make a backup of your newly rooted system before you start installing and running programs that obtain superuser permissions.

14. Enjoy the power!

Please click the Thanks button if this helped you out.
    Reserved for future use.
    Much appreciated for the help, but I don't think I will be using it.

Why not just load a rooted GB or xboards GB, same thing isn't it? lol.

This is for people who have been using the phone after applying the update and don't want to start from scratch again. This lets you just root the phone without needing to flash a rom and format the system.
    Always good to have more options.
    @jboxer, I figured out the flashable zip. Just tested it on an unrooted 2.3.3 installation and it worked perfectly. I PM'd you a link to the zip. Please add it to your OP if you'd like. There's no need for me to create a separate thread.