Bring back the menu button!

Search This thread

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
So, this is day #2 using my sgs5 and I can't count how many times I clicked on the new "recent" button, hoping a menu will show up, just to return to the app and press again a long click. is very annoying!
Is there any app that can re-map that key? And change the long-press home button as it was before, showing "recent".
I'm rooted.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda premium

Docmjldds

Jan 27, 2010
Henderson, NV
So, this is day #2 using my sgs5 and I can't count how many times I clicked on the new "recent" button, hoping a menu will show up, just to return to the app and press again a long click. is very annoying!
Is there any app that can re-map that key? And change the long-press home button as it was before, showing "recent".
I'm rooted.

Thanks.

On the custom ROMs I have been using, by default if you long press the menu button, guess what, the menu button displays the menu :)

andROIDS

Nov 16, 2010
Utah
If you used the menu mainly to access the settings menu like I did, I just use the toolbox with the settings shortcut in it, and put it down in the button left corner. That way it's near the a same place as the menu key was and I can quickly access the settings menu. Just a thought that May help you.

21cdb

Nov 7, 2011
If you rooted your phone you can uze Xposed/Gravitybox to remap the hardware keys back to what they used to be. Works much better that way IMHO.

Docmjldds

Jan 27, 2010
Henderson, NV
Thanks 21cdb, I'll try that.

Did you try long pressing the menu button. At least with the Nova Prime launcher I prefer, it works as the old method and no remapping needed. This way you have best of both worlds. Short press recent apps and long press menu settings etc. Anyway, for me simple is best. This doesn't require anything on your part.

daxecutioner24

Jun 24, 2011
Yea kinda lazy. At first I hated menu leaving but now getting used to it. Just get used to it holding on to recent will do what you wanted.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
If you rooted your phone you can uze Xposed/Gravitybox to remap the hardware keys back to what they used to be. Works much better that way IMHO.

Gravity box works great to change long-press actions. If it can change single-press actions also, then I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

To change single-press actions, I use Xposed Additions:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spazedog.xposed.additionsgb

I use it on my S4 to do the opposite of what the OP wants.
It drives me nuts that half the new apps out there no longer use the "menu" button properly anymore. And so I've set my "menu" button to behave exactly as the S5.

I also use it to completely disable the home button while the screen is off. It was driving me nuts that the screen turned on every time I wiped my screen with a damp towel, because I'd accidentally touch the home button.

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
Thanks CZ Eddie,
I was about to try xposed but in other posts I've seen that this breaks some other functionality in the s5. I thought to wait a bit longer to make sure everything is sorted out with maybe an xposed update

How is your S health and private mode? Still working?

brettdacosta

Feb 10, 2011
Dud you ever figure out what to do with this request? Did changing the settings mess other things up like you thought they would? As soon as I get an s5, this has to be the first thing I do. Really don't care for the events button as the primary.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

raw2000j

Aug 3, 2007
uranagat.jpg

Try that worked for me

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: brettdacosta

brettdacosta

Feb 10, 2011
uranagat.jpg

Try that worked for me

Thanks CZ Eddie,
I was about to try xposed but in other posts I've seen that this breaks some other functionality in the s5. I thought to wait a bit longer to make sure everything is sorted out with maybe an xposed update

How is your S health and private mode? Still working?

Did you have any issues with it breaking any other functionality? That's the main concern. Thanks.

brettdacosta

Feb 10, 2011
No same as menu button nothing out of whack been using it like 5 days so far so good but always make a backup to be sure :)

Thanks - and this should be same procedure for the Verizon S5, right? I'm still trying to decide whether I want to upgrade from my Nexus, and this is one of the biggest things I need to work out before I commit. Thanks so much for your reply. If you do notice something screwy, please post back.

raw2000j

Aug 3, 2007
Thanks - and this should be same procedure for the Verizon S5, right? I'm still trying to decide whether I want to upgrade from my Nexus, and this is one of the biggest things I need to work out before I commit. Thanks so much for your reply. If you do notice something screwy, please post back.
Will do but no problems I think ull be ok like me

brettdacosta

Feb 10, 2011
Will do but no problems I think ull be ok like me

One last question about this (and only because I don't know how the button is actually physically built).

I'll still be dealing with the same recent apps visual display, right? I mean the button display won't automatically switch from the 2-box looking icon to the 3/4 lines/dots that represents menu?

I fully expect not, but just wasn't sure what magic causes that button to work.

Thanks.

raw2000j

Aug 3, 2007
No its not onscreen buttons it just changes your current action on the recents button u already have to menu so when u press that recents button it will actually be the menu button now.

Reactions: brettdacosta

em0ney14

Apr 1, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

Only issue on VERIZON is there is no root access yet. Unless you have the DEV edition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    uranagat.jpg

Try that worked for me

Did you have any issues with it breaking any other functionality? That's the main concern. Thanks.

No same as menu button nothing out of whack been using it like 5 days so far so good but always make a backup to be sure :)

No its not onscreen buttons it just changes your current action on the recents button u already have to menu so when u press that recents button it will actually be the menu button now.