WinMo to Android "converts"

Search This thread

sh500

May 19, 2005
Comparing the iPhone to Windows Mobile isn't a good comparison. Windows Mobile has been around for a LONG LONG time. With over 10 years of a non controlled environment, apps will be all over the web - just like apps for the PC. The iPhone is controlled by Nazi's who are very rigid and strict about everything...
-Mc

Personally, I feel this is one of the reasons why WinMo devices become so unstable; people making apps/ROMs available without any control and not being 'quality' checked. Of course the WinMo OS itself has a lot of problems in itself too.

Arkish

Jan 10, 2007
Personally, I feel this is one of the reasons why WinMo devices become so unstable; people making apps/ROMs available without any control and not being 'quality' checked. Of course the WinMo OS itself has a lot of problems in itself too.

This is also a feature that has made me stick with winMo since 2002 for the 'hackablity', as long as you are prepared to put in the time. Anyway now making the jump to andriod after what i have been reading about wm7 it will be a while before I go back The Register Article on wm7 features

McHale

Nov 18, 2005
B.F.E. Illinois
I've had my Nexus One for a couple days now. I don't get what all the Android fuss is about. I don't know if it's the raw google experience (i.e. no SenseUI) or the fact that I'm such a WinMo fanboy but I didn't use the N1 and think it was as awesome as the hype led me to believe it would be.

BUT

I see so much potential with Android and some of the apps are fantastic. It's a fairly solid OS with so much room for growth. If Android captures the community like Windows Mobile did and Google fixes a few things with AES, folder syncing in email, security, etc, this may be the ultimate nerd OS.

Right now, I'm still in the Windows Mobile camp (pre WinMo 7 of course).

-Mc

sallal

Sep 8, 2008
Lower Saxony
I've had my Nexus One for a couple days now. I don't get what all the Android fuss is about. I don't know if it's the raw google experience (i.e. no SenseUI) or the fact that I'm such a WinMo fanboy but I didn't use the N1 and think it was as awesome as the hype led me to believe it would be.

BUT

I see so much potential with Android and some of the apps are fantastic. It's a fairly solid OS with so much room for growth. If Android captures the community like Windows Mobile did and Google fixes a few things with AES, folder syncing in email, security, etc, this may be the ultimate nerd OS.

Right now, I'm still in the Windows Mobile camp (pre WinMo 7 of course).

-Mc

well i said it more or less without having tried android, but every1 believed that winmo is now crap, as this gossip about "super-android" came out ;)

EDIT: That makes me happier... because i bought the hd2, maybe the best device at the moment :D if i hear what you are sayin about android...

Last edited:

McHale

Nov 18, 2005
B.F.E. Illinois
Believe me, if HTC sold an AT&T friendly HD2, I'd be sporting that right now. I'd have still bought the Nexus One to hack around with, but the HD2 would be my primary device.

I was waiting for an OpenMoko phone that didn't suck because of it's openness and hacking potential but it just never happened.

-Mc

mazzarin

Sep 29, 2008
HTC does sell an ATT friendly HD2, it costs nearly double the USTM price though, and you have to import it from Australia ;)

I gotta agree with you McHale. I bought a N1, was underwhelmed, flashed Desire ROM on there, was much better but still seemed unpolished, returned and went back to my HD2.

McHale

Nov 18, 2005
B.F.E. Illinois
HTC does sell an ATT friendly HD2, it costs nearly double the USTM price though, and you have to import it from Australia ;)

I gotta agree with you McHale. I bought a N1, was underwhelmed, flashed Desire ROM on there, was much better but still seemed unpolished, returned and went back to my HD2.

If the HD2 from Australia had 1900 on it, I'd have it already. I'm not afraid to spend money on a phone. But 1900 is in a few places where I travel and just don't want to be without it.

One thing that I need to toss out there is with WinMo, I cooked my own ROMS. I took the cleanest HTC ROM I could find, stripped out everything I didn't use and flashed it. Any apps that were updatable (Facebook for example) got removed. It was as clean as you could get. At least with the Nexus One, it ships the same type of ROM I prefer so I don't have to cook one. It's not bad, it's just not super awesome like I was lead to believe.

Now tack on that with Android's document viewer I can't edit MS files like Word or Excel and I hate how the Exchange and subfolders are handled and Windows Mobile wins easily. I planned on keeping it regardless of whether I liked it or not so I had my name and email address engraved on it. It has a few cool things like the GPS Navigator and when I get completely bored with it, I'll start tearing the OS apart and seeing what I can really do with it. I'm back using my Touch Pro as my primary phone and couldn't be happier...

-Mc

Last edited:

Ed-UK

Oct 6, 2008
Lancs
MS Office compatibility

Now tack on that with Android's document viewer I can't edit MS files like Word or Excel and I hate how the Exchange and subfolders are handled and Windows Mobile wins easily.-Mc
I don't know if anyone can answer this, but does the Desire come with an app than can edit MS Office files, specifically Word, Excel and possibly Powerpoint?

If not is something like OpenOffice available for Android than can open AND EDIT these files?

Hope this is the right place for this post.

Cheers, Ed

brummiesteven

Aug 29, 2008
Birmingham
I don't know if anyone can answer this, but does the Desire come with an app than can edit MS Office files, specifically Word, Excel and possibly Powerpoint?

If not is something like OpenOffice available for Android than can open AND EDIT these files?

Hope this is the right place for this post.

Cheers, Ed

Google: AndOffice

There are more in the market aswell that's the only one that i can think of off the top of my head.

scotch whisky

Mar 25, 2006
Kent U.K.
I have been a "Windows Fan Boy" for many years and didn't think I would ever move to another platform. I was looking for something to replace my HTC Diamond but apart from the HD2 there aren't many windows phones around. I decided to give the HTC Hero a go but really thought that I would be flogging it on eBay after a couple of months (or days). Well I am flogging it on eBay but only because I want the HTC Desire and I have just ordered it on T-Mobile.

I can't think of a single area in which windows mobile is better than Android!

Maybe I should abandon Windows 7 and look at Linux!

I just hope my Windows friends don't read this. I doubt they will as they are as blinkered as I was.