Search This thread

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
True Silent Mode for Lollipop
pmhfxl9.png

Download @ Google Play

Help translate the app

I proudly present my first Xposed module: True Silent Mode for Lollipop :fingers-crossed:

This Xposed module will restore the good old silent mode from Kitkat in Lollipop.
The missing silent mode has been one of the most discussed issues after the release of Android 5.0.
In silent mode you will still receive all notifications (contrary to the new None or Priority mode), but there won't be a sound or vibration, just a LED or ambient display notification.

There are various workarounds but this app is the only real fix for this issue.
The most popular workaround is to disable all priority interruptions and use the Priority option to substitute the silent mode.
But this comes with two problems:
  • Now you can't use the Priority mode for it's actual use: to allow certain notifications and block others
  • You won't have any LED Notifications in Android 5.0 (Google at least fixed this in 5.1)

By installing this app and activating the module in the Xposed installer you will be able to use the Silent mode as in prevous versions of Android: By putting your device into the Vibrate mode and pressing Volume Down.
In silent mode you will still receive all notifications (contrary to the new None or Priority mode), but there won't be a sound or vibration, just a silent LED or ambient display notification.

The pro version of this app will allow you to display a statusbar icon when the device is in silent mode.
You can't buy or afford the in app purchase? Fret not! I'm offering you a "Freeload" option in the app which enables all pro features without paying a dime!
(Although I would be very happy if you decide to support the further development of this module in the future, of course).

Additionally this module offers you to get rid of another Lollipop quirk once and for all: You can unsilence Alarms.
By default Lollipop blocks your Alarms when your device is in the "None" mode. While Google introduced a workaround in 5.1 which wil disable the mode prior to ringing the Alarm, this option allows you to just set and forget your device to None. No more fear of missing an alarm in the morning!

Features:
  • Brings back the silent mode we came to love in previous Android versions (no sound, no vibration)
  • Comes with an optional statusbar icon when the device is in silent mode (pro)
  • Comes with a Freeload option in case you can't afford the in-app-purchase
  • Gives you the option to use Alarms despite putting the device to the "None" interruption mode. Never miss an alarm again!
  • Keeps LED notifications intact
  • Re-enables (most) apps and widgets to set up the silent mode, e.g. Power Toggles or Silent Mode Widget
  • Has Tasker support
    You need to use the following intents:
    Code:
    com.thetonyp.truesilentmode.taskerreceiver.MUTE
    com.thetonyp.truesilentmode.taskerreceiver.UNMUTE

Ever since the release of Android 5.0 I've been terribly annoyed by the lack of a true silent mode in Lollipop.
And it seems I'm not the only one, users are raging here at xda, at reddit, at Google's AOSP issue tracker and on various other places of the web.

Attention:
I wrote this module for AOSP-based ROMs, it should work on all Nexus devices and Google Play Edition phones.
So far it seems to work on most vendor stock ROMs (LG, Motorola etc.) as well, but due to the multitude of devices out there I can't promise that it works on each and every Lollipop device and ROM out there.
If you encounter any bugs just report it here and I'll try to fix it.
Please attach the Xposed Log (you can export it in the Xposed installer) and possibly a logcat to your bugreport, without I probably won't be able to fix your issues.

Download:

Google+:

Last but not least an obligatory huge thanks to @rovo89 for his amazing Xposed framework!

If you like this module don't forget to press thanks, rate this thread with 5 stars, consider a donation etc. etc.
:fingers-crossed:

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 21,231
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-28-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-28-07.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 10,158
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-31-08.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-31-08.png
    183 KB · Views: 10,406
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-33-31.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-33-31.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 9,941
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-36-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-36-45.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 9,976
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-30-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-30-11.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 9,959
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-30-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-30-44.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 9,621
  • Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-33-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-10-00-33-14.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9,268
Last edited:

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
Credits:
(If anyone is missing here please give me a call and I'll fix it immediately!)
  • Module:
    • @XlAfbk for Tasker support and the former CM12 statusbar icon workaround
    • @rovo89 for the Xposed framework
    • @romracer for the initial 5.1 Xposed bringup
    • @C3C076 for the 5.1 Xposed bootloop fix

• Translations:
    • Spanish: Adrian Castillo (Yakandu), craynicon, kafepuya
    • German: Firetribe, TerrorApple, Robin Brauer (abroad36), Kampfpudding, ShadowBow
    • Portuguese: jlobo912, KingKaminari
    • French: Daniel Thirion (danithi2011), The_Steph, DaanKemps, Fabien Claude (sploutch), Ruddy. A
    • Italian: KingKaminari, gionni_b, dhabsot
    • Slovak: pyler
    • Polish: danithi2011
    • Hebrew: dshtul
    • Finnish: jujo
    • Hungarian: benjoe1
    • Russian: greatslon, AlexUnderKH
    • Turkish: yilmzfurkan

Installation Instructions:
  1. Install Xposed for Lollipop
  2. Download and install the module
  3. Activate it in the Xposed installer
  4. Reboot your device
  5. Open the app to change the options to your liking

Changelog:
Code:
v2.9
- Added Support for OnePlus Oxygen ROMs
- Added experimental Samsung Stock support
- Improved compatibility with LG Stock ROMs
- Minor code improvements
- Added Finnish, Hungarian and Russian, fixed Hebrew, updated translations

v2.8
- Fixed a deadlock blocking the module from setting the silent mode in a scarce state
- Updated translations from www.getlocalization.com/truesilentmode/

v2.7
- Added experimental option to disable all vibrations during silent mode
- Removed Allow Alarms toast confirmation - instead the Volume Panel text dynamically changes to "No interruptions, except alarms"
- Improved internal preference handling

v2.6:
- Refactored Xposed hooks to (slightly) increase performance
- Added Hebrew translation and merged translation updates. 

v2.5:
- Minor fixes for the new experimental options
- Various improvements
- Added Dutch language & updated others to their newest versions

v2.4:
- Added experimental options with advanced volume panel controls (change icon, keep slider enabled, toggle ringer)
- Refactored volume panel code to improve compatibility
- Fixed statusbar bell icon shape for Android 5.0
- Added French, Portuguese (Brasil), Slovak and (partly) Italian translations

v2.3:
- Full Android 5.1 support (make sure to use the newest Xposed 5.1 super alpha framework version!)
- Greatly improved detection of Xposed problems (not activated, not rebooted etc.)
- Added German, Spanish and (partly) Portuguese translations

v2.2:
- Fixed statusbar icon for CM-based ROMs. Requires Xposed alpha3 (API 64+)
- Greatly improved statusbar icon implementation. Supports on-the-fly icon changes, no reboot required
- Added check if Xposed Installer is available
- Changed default value for the "Unsilence Alarms" option (now off by default, re-check if you use this feature!)
- Reduced apk size by ~40% to <60KB
- Various code improvements

v2.1beta:
- preliminary Android 5.1 support
Note: Unfortunately the unofficial Xposed version for 5.1 currently breaks this module (same as with Gravitybox).
We need to wait for the next, hopefully bugfree release.
Code-wise the module should work with a stable 5.1 Xposed, although this is untested obviously.

v2.0 (initial release on Google Play):
- Option to show a statusbar icon (you get a choice between two icons) 
- Option to unsilence alarms when putting the device to the "None" interruption mode
- Added settings interface
- Preliminary Tasker support
- Icon refresh

v1.0: initial beta release

Last edited:

HorstiG

Mar 14, 2013
Banja Luka RS
Great, Galaxy S5, CM12 Fusion ROM.
A shortcut on Homescreen would be nice.

HGT - Galaxy S5 G900F - OneplusOne - Tesla TTL7

treChoy

Aug 15, 2012
Praise be to [insert higher power here].

This was literally my worst gripe about Lollipop. You, sir, are fantastic.

vanisleguy1976

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver Island
NICE! This mod is a lifesaver! Thanks for sharing ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DEVICE: SM-N900W8
ROM: Temasek's CM12 v8.0
BASEBAND: N900W8VLUCNI1
KERNEL: Arter97 4.01
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.8.5.0 hlte
XPOSED? YEAH BABY!

chris264

Apr 10, 2012
Great Works on my OnePlus One many Thanks

OnePlus One

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Would it be possible to install a silent icon? So you know it's silent. Nice greetings

OnePlus One

Reactions: W3ND31

BrainChecker

Apr 17, 2013
Stuttgart
Thanks, you're my lifesaver!
Finally my last problem with lollipop is solved; together with gravitybox this ****ty os is finally useable :p

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    True Silent Mode for Lollipop
    pmhfxl9.png

Download @ Google Play

Help translate the app

I proudly present my first Xposed module: True Silent Mode for Lollipop :fingers-crossed:

This Xposed module will restore the good old silent mode from Kitkat in Lollipop.
    The missing silent mode has been one of the most discussed issues after the release of Android 5.0.
    In silent mode you will still receive all notifications (contrary to the new None or Priority mode), but there won't be a sound or vibration, just a LED or ambient display notification.

There are various workarounds but this app is the only real fix for this issue.
    The most popular workaround is to disable all priority interruptions and use the Priority option to substitute the silent mode.
    But this comes with two problems:
    • Now you can't use the Priority mode for it's actual use: to allow certain notifications and block others
    • You won't have any LED Notifications in Android 5.0 (Google at least fixed this in 5.1)

By installing this app and activating the module in the Xposed installer you will be able to use the Silent mode as in prevous versions of Android: By putting your device into the Vibrate mode and pressing Volume Down.
    In silent mode you will still receive all notifications (contrary to the new None or Priority mode), but there won't be a sound or vibration, just a silent LED or ambient display notification.

The pro version of this app will allow you to display a statusbar icon when the device is in silent mode.
    You can't buy or afford the in app purchase? Fret not! I'm offering you a "Freeload" option in the app which enables all pro features without paying a dime!
    (Although I would be very happy if you decide to support the further development of this module in the future, of course).

Additionally this module offers you to get rid of another Lollipop quirk once and for all: You can unsilence Alarms.
    By default Lollipop blocks your Alarms when your device is in the "None" mode. While Google introduced a workaround in 5.1 which wil disable the mode prior to ringing the Alarm, this option allows you to just set and forget your device to None. No more fear of missing an alarm in the morning!

Features:
    • Brings back the silent mode we came to love in previous Android versions (no sound, no vibration)
    • Comes with an optional statusbar icon when the device is in silent mode (pro)
    • Comes with a Freeload option in case you can't afford the in-app-purchase
    • Gives you the option to use Alarms despite putting the device to the "None" interruption mode. Never miss an alarm again!
    • Keeps LED notifications intact
    • Re-enables (most) apps and widgets to set up the silent mode, e.g. Power Toggles or Silent Mode Widget
    • Has Tasker support
      You need to use the following intents:
      Code:
      com.thetonyp.truesilentmode.taskerreceiver.MUTE
      com.thetonyp.truesilentmode.taskerreceiver.UNMUTE

Ever since the release of Android 5.0 I've been terribly annoyed by the lack of a true silent mode in Lollipop.
    And it seems I'm not the only one, users are raging here at xda, at reddit, at Google's AOSP issue tracker and on various other places of the web.

Attention:
    I wrote this module for AOSP-based ROMs, it should work on all Nexus devices and Google Play Edition phones.
    So far it seems to work on most vendor stock ROMs (LG, Motorola etc.) as well, but due to the multitude of devices out there I can't promise that it works on each and every Lollipop device and ROM out there.
    If you encounter any bugs just report it here and I'll try to fix it.
    Please attach the Xposed Log (you can export it in the Xposed installer) and possibly a logcat to your bugreport, without I probably won't be able to fix your issues.

Download:

Google+:

Last but not least an obligatory huge thanks to @rovo89 for his amazing Xposed framework!

If you like this module don't forget to press thanks, rate this thread with 5 stars, consider a donation etc. etc.
    :fingers-crossed:
    Credits:
    (If anyone is missing here please give me a call and I'll fix it immediately!)
    • Module:
      • @XlAfbk for Tasker support and the former CM12 statusbar icon workaround
      • @rovo89 for the Xposed framework
      • @romracer for the initial 5.1 Xposed bringup
      • @C3C076 for the 5.1 Xposed bootloop fix

• Translations:
      • Spanish: Adrian Castillo (Yakandu), craynicon, kafepuya
      • German: Firetribe, TerrorApple, Robin Brauer (abroad36), Kampfpudding, ShadowBow
      • Portuguese: jlobo912, KingKaminari
      • French: Daniel Thirion (danithi2011), The_Steph, DaanKemps, Fabien Claude (sploutch), Ruddy. A
      • Italian: KingKaminari, gionni_b, dhabsot
      • Slovak: pyler
      • Polish: danithi2011
      • Hebrew: dshtul
      • Finnish: jujo
      • Hungarian: benjoe1
      • Russian: greatslon, AlexUnderKH
      • Turkish: yilmzfurkan

Installation Instructions:
    1. Install Xposed for Lollipop
    2. Download and install the module
    3. Activate it in the Xposed installer
    4. Reboot your device
    5. Open the app to change the options to your liking

Changelog:
    Code:
    v2.9
    - Added Support for OnePlus Oxygen ROMs
    - Added experimental Samsung Stock support
    - Improved compatibility with LG Stock ROMs
    - Minor code improvements
    - Added Finnish, Hungarian and Russian, fixed Hebrew, updated translations

v2.8
    - Fixed a deadlock blocking the module from setting the silent mode in a scarce state
    - Updated translations from www.getlocalization.com/truesilentmode/

v2.7
    - Added experimental option to disable all vibrations during silent mode
    - Removed Allow Alarms toast confirmation - instead the Volume Panel text dynamically changes to "No interruptions, except alarms"
    - Improved internal preference handling

v2.6:
    - Refactored Xposed hooks to (slightly) increase performance
    - Added Hebrew translation and merged translation updates. 

v2.5:
    - Minor fixes for the new experimental options
    - Various improvements
    - Added Dutch language & updated others to their newest versions

v2.4:
    - Added experimental options with advanced volume panel controls (change icon, keep slider enabled, toggle ringer)
    - Refactored volume panel code to improve compatibility
    - Fixed statusbar bell icon shape for Android 5.0
    - Added French, Portuguese (Brasil), Slovak and (partly) Italian translations

v2.3:
    - Full Android 5.1 support (make sure to use the newest Xposed 5.1 super alpha framework version!)
    - Greatly improved detection of Xposed problems (not activated, not rebooted etc.)
    - Added German, Spanish and (partly) Portuguese translations

v2.2:
    - Fixed statusbar icon for CM-based ROMs. Requires Xposed alpha3 (API 64+)
    - Greatly improved statusbar icon implementation. Supports on-the-fly icon changes, no reboot required
    - Added check if Xposed Installer is available
    - Changed default value for the "Unsilence Alarms" option (now off by default, re-check if you use this feature!)
    - Reduced apk size by ~40% to <60KB
    - Various code improvements

v2.1beta:
    - preliminary Android 5.1 support
    Note: Unfortunately the unofficial Xposed version for 5.1 currently breaks this module (same as with Gravitybox).
    We need to wait for the next, hopefully bugfree release.
    Code-wise the module should work with a stable 5.1 Xposed, although this is untested obviously.

v2.0 (initial release on Google Play):
    - Option to show a statusbar icon (you get a choice between two icons) 
    - Option to unsilence alarms when putting the device to the "None" interruption mode
    - Added settings interface
    - Preliminary Tasker support
    - Icon refresh

v1.0: initial beta release

I released version 2.3 to the Play Store and Xposed Repo. It finally comes with the long-awaited support for Android 5.1 :victory:

Make sure you use the newest version of the Xposed 5.1 super alpha framework from this thread.
    Big thanks to @romracer for the super alpha 5.1 and @C3C076 for the recent fixes - don't forget to send donations their way!

I might have to rethink the exact behaviour of the module for 5.1 a bit as it behaves slightly different compared to 5.0, e.g. it behaves exactly like @3rre requested one post above thanks to some internal restructuring by Google.
    One issue I see is that it will still show the priority star rather than the silent mode icon in that case, so I'm considering to change this.
    Opinions are as always very welcome - if you notice any other differences or would like another workflow just describe it in here, as usual.
    But of course the core functionality of this module stays the same, you get back the good old silent mode including a statusbar icon and an additional option to allow alarms in the "none" mode.

Apart from that I merged the translations from www.getlocalization.com/truesilentmode/
    The addon supports German, Spanish and partly Portuguese now - thank you very much for the contributions!
    I'm planning to add a list with a huge thank you to the translators as a special page inside the app, but didn't want to hold off the release any longer for now :)
    I made some last minute additions to the app so that some single strings are missing, but I'll continue merging translation updates.
    The update is making good progress, I've already implemented the statusbar icon, option to keep alarms working in the None mode and Playstore integration. See screenshots for details.
    A couple more days with some polishing and it should be ready :)
    The next version will include the Tasker integration by @XlAfbk.

I finally got around to finish the settings interface, check it out at the screenshots attached to this post.
    Additionally you'll see the silent mode statusbar icon there, too :good:

While I usually don't like to give any ETAs I'm quite sure I'll publish the update before the end of the week.

If you have any last minute wishes let me know asap.

As I haven't upgraded to Androd 5.1 the update won't be compatible with the new experimental 5.1 Xposed framework.
    If someone who knows how to export logs is running 5.1 please let me know, then I can send you a test version with preliminary 5.1 support.

Edit: The STFU widget you can see on the screenshot is my silent mode widget, it's next in my release pipeline ;)