Thanks Meter: 13,235

By Basil3, Inactive Recognized Themer on 20th October 2010, 08:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th October 2010, 02:50 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxboy

It seems a few people forget what these devices are nowadays and complain if the battery life doesn't compare to their 5 year old Nokia.

I totally agree on this. And i don't think i have ridiculous high expectations to the battary life of the DHD. But under normal use 1 day should be possible. I don't exüect 48 hours while constantly playing or surfing on the web.

I think i should be able to expect follwing:

My normal use:

2G on, 3G only when needed, 10-20 sms and emails a day, 10-30 min phone calls a day, 30 min webbrowsing, a bit of playing. if i have to wait for the train or something like that (max 15 min), push emails on.

Compare to the normal use of other is is quite low. So if the DHD can't run at least 20 hours with this use it's just impossible for me to get it.

If lynxboy is right this should not be a problem with the DHD at all. So it seems the DHD is back in the race.
24th October 2010, 03:40 PM |#102  

More
Should it be normal to expect a lower battery life: most certainly not. i agree with that.

Is it realistic to expect a lower battery life: probably yes.

Every Company wants to make profit. An in my opinion it is just easier to sell a new phone because of a faster processor, GPU or a bigger screen than simple battery life. I don't like it either. I'd love a phone like the DHD which can last 3 days with normal use and 1 or 1 1/2 at heavy use. And i think it would be possible. But i don't think that they would sell so much more DHDs because of that feature although many would love to see it. But a lot of people who would like to have more battery life bought it anyway. In the end every feature which is included in such a phone has to payoff otherwise it is a Form of Waste (muda).

Although i'm not an Apple fan, it could be up to them to change that situation. Nearly every smartphone is compared to the IPhone. So if Apple releases an IPhone with an extraordinary battery life and gets enough media coverage because of it, there could be a change.

As mentioned before. the minimum a phone should be able to handle is 1 day under normal use. Since normal use is different for everybody the only thing we can do is either buy a spare battery or a mobile charger or search for another phone that can do better.

@Basil3
I hope you can get the DHD working for more than one day.
Do you have 3G on all the time? It was a main reason for a really low battery life on my BB. And at what update rates do you have your widgets like Friendstream etc?
24th October 2010, 03:48 PM |#103  
OP Inactive Recognized Themer
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 13,235

Donate to Me
More
Yeah, I'm on 3g, but don't really need it to be honest. I don't really have any widgets updating anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, and I realise I'm a heavyish user, sending probably 100+ messages on Google talk a day. It's just that going from the hero to this I've crossed the line between lasting a day and not.

I mainly started this thread to see how other people were doing and look for tweaks I might have missed, but I can live with having a booster charge in the middle of each day.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
24th October 2010, 04:08 PM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
another DHD owner here

At the beginning battery was going down like crazy

after few charges it got much better
This morning, i reset the phone to see how long it will last this time.
So up time is 8hours, awake time 1:20hour.
and battery is on 80%. so pretty good I would say

Ok, I switched facebook, news, stock and flickr update leaving my emails and weather on.

I loose loads of battery while at work due to terrible reception so phone has to use loads of power searching for network : /
so will see how it goes on Monday
24th October 2010, 04:20 PM |#105  
Flag Belfast
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkha

I totally agree on this. And i don't think i have ridiculous high expectations to the battary life of the DHD. But under normal use 1 day should be possible. I don't exüect 48 hours while constantly playing or surfing on the web.

I think i should be able to expect follwing:

My normal use:

2G on, 3G only when needed, 10-20 sms and emails a day, 10-30 min phone calls a day, 30 min webbrowsing, a bit of playing. if i have to wait for the train or something like that (max 15 min), push emails on.

Compare to the normal use of other is is quite low. So if the DHD can't run at least 20 hours with this use it's just impossible for me to get it.

If lynxboy is right this should not be a problem with the DHD at all. So it seems the DHD is back in the race.

I'm sorry to say but I really don't think you are going to achieve 20hrs out of this battery at all.......have a look at my posts here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...06#post8765306

I have been trying to keep track of my first few days of DHD usage and monitoring the battery.
24th October 2010, 04:22 PM |#106  

More
@Basil3

If you don't need 3g i would try to turn 3g off until you need it. I know that this is not the prettiest solution but it could help you. After a while you get used to it. Maybe there is a simple app to automatically turn 3G on when browsing or something like that.

@bastic

This seems quite nice. Do you think that facebook, flickr news an stock were draining a lot of the battery. I wouldn't need flicker and stock atm, but i wouldn't like to turn facebook off.
24th October 2010, 04:53 PM |#107  
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 309

Donate to Me
More
hi guys, i've been following this discussion and i thought i'd ask a question

if i plan to use my Desire HD like the following:

2g only (no 3g)
no widgets that draw power (like friendstream etc)
only gmail and facebook synced (set to automatic sync when i have wifi available)

How much battery life would you expect?
24th October 2010, 08:20 PM |#108  
Flag Nicosia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1982

Based on my experience with this phone the last few days and my previous phone, I would say 2 days. It all depends on how you use your phone and the settings.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

wasn't this a response to my post? 2 days would be great!
24th October 2010, 08:22 PM |#109  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 232

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeBeaver

wasn't this a response to my post? 2 days would be great!

I'll balance it by saying 16 hours...

I think if I could stay on WiFi all day, maybe I could get 20+ hours, but when I switch to mobile data, the battery just melts away
24th October 2010, 08:25 PM |#110  
Flag Nicosia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCr15

I'll balance it by saying 16 hours...

I think if I could stay on WiFi all day, maybe I could get 20+ hours, but when I switch to mobile data, the battery just melts away

are you talking about 3g? i guess i can count myself a little lucky that i dont have a data plan hehe.

But i was under the impression that wifi uses more power than 3g..
24th October 2010, 09:20 PM |#111  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 232

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeBeaver

are you talking about 3g? i guess i can count myself a little lucky that i dont have a data plan hehe.

But i was under the impression that wifi uses more power than 3g..

Every phone I've had in the last year (so that's about 7 maybe) has been about a third better when connected to my nice strong WiFi signal at home.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)