Wifi-only Motorola Xoom getting prepped for another 'project'

Search This thread

Epsis

May 26, 2010
NW England
Hey, just read this on Android Central: an email has gone out to a few members of the Xoom section on the Motorola Owner's Forums talking of a new project.

Hi,

Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are preparing a project
for owners of the "Google Experience Device" version of the WiFi-only
Motorola Xoom. (This is the U.S. version only.) If you own this particular
model, we would like to invite you to participate.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey for this project. Please
note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners'
Forums to take part. We have recently moved our forums communities to a new
site, and YOU MUST RE-REGISTER to be considered a member. Please visit our
new site and complete your registration update if you have not done so
already. Be sure to fill out the MFN opt-in information on the new site.
This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback
Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any
public sites.

Thanks -- please understand that project start times are always fluid. We ask
for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.

- Matt
Motorola Owners' Forums
Motorola Feedback Network

Did anybody get a copy of the email? Does anybody know what's going on?

I first read it here.

Reactions: nooomoto

dbam987

Jul 23, 2010
Its certainly great that the Xoom is getting ICS. Kind of wish it was released back in November alongside the Nexus. The Xoom is a Google Experience Device, so I'm wondering why Moto/Goog didn't get this up and running sooner.

Hopefully the 3G/LTE version get the update very soon after!

shakuyi

Apr 3, 2007
encino
I got the email this morning going to re-register when I get home :)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

stonefeet

Mar 10, 2011
Its certainly great that the Xoom is getting ICS. Kind of wish it was released back in November alongside the Nexus. The Xoom is a Google Experience Device, so I'm wondering why Moto/Goog didn't get this up and running sooner.

Hopefully the 3G/LTE version get the update very soon after!

my guess, to merge in the camera and microphone drivers, the xoom 4.0.3 aosp was released what 2 weeks ago and they are already going to test this in a time where nobody does any work, the team eos rom was awesome and i think we should all be very very excited for our xooms that we paid so dearly for to finally work the way they were intended.

wild guess, 2 to 4 weeks before it's out for the 3g/4g lte xooms or at least i hope!

OriginalMemnock

Aug 4, 2010
any update as to wat this is? So we all can return to stock and join if it's ICS

My guess is that if this is indeed ICS, then Motorola will release the much needed drivers for the camera and other things and the devs working on the ICS roms can just incorporate those into their builds and there will be no need for going back to stock.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
My guess is that if this is indeed ICS, then Motorola will release the much needed drivers for the camera and other things and the devs working on the ICS roms can just incorporate those into their builds and there will be no need for going back to stock.
Plus, be careful that future updates don't somehow lock down the bootloader. Some may not care, but I won't ever willingly go back to stock.

Reactions: double1

rubber guard

Aug 22, 2010
Austin
for anyone with the link sign up link for the motorola feedback network or w/e its called. can you please paste or PM the sign up link. hoping to capitalize on the fact that I still haven't rooted.

mcnob

Aug 2, 2010
Suffolk
Requirements are mentioned above but for those that missed it:

U.S. WiFi "Google Experience" devices ONLY.
Must be a registered member "in good standing" at the new Motorola user forums.

To anyone that does get in, don't forget to break the terms and tell us all as soon as you know what its all about......lol

PitbulI

Oct 28, 2009
So I'm guessing Canadian xoom owners don't get a shot at this? It's odd because our tablets and OS's are pretty much identical. Crazy why Canada gets shutout as it should be North American tablets.

RMerlin

Jan 26, 2011
Montreal
asuswrt.lostrealm.ca
So I'm guessing Canadian xoom owners don't get a shot at this? It's odd because our tablets and OS's are pretty much identical. Crazy why Canada gets shutout as it should be North American tablets.

The OS isn't. That's why we got 3.2 ages after the US. Actually, did they ever release 3.2 for the Canadian Xoom? I wouldn't know as I reflashed with the US ROM when I got sick of waiting for 3.1.

The Canadian ROM has some US-only stuff removed such as Amazon MP3, and there were a few other differences too (3.0 had a whole different update checking module for instance).

Right now our best chance is for Team EOS to get their hand on it, be able to lift the missing binaries from it, and get us a 99% working ICS before Moto does (and probably months before Canadian owners gets an official ICS update as well).

PitbulI

Oct 28, 2009
Yes, they released 3.2 for the Xoom last month from what I heard.

I returned my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to the store yesterday and picked up a Xoom. The performance is much better on the Xoom it looks like. I know the screen isn't as good but the performance seems much better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Could someone please explain to me if this link is for real or a fake? Thanks in advance.

Ummm...that is the exact link that I got from the Motodev email that was sent out. Rest assured that it is indeed real.

Contents of the email:

Motorola Support Forums

Jan 2 (2 days ago)

to Motorola
    Hi,
    Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are preparing a project for owners of the "Google Experience Device" version of the WiFi-only Motorola Xoom. (This is the U.S. version only.) If you own this particular model, we would like to invite you to participate.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey for this project. Please note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners' Forums to take part. We have recently moved our forums communities to a new site, and YOU MUST RE-REGISTER to be considered a member. Please visit our new site and complete your registration update if you have not done so already. Be sure to fill out the MFN opt-in information on the new site.
    This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any public sites.
    Thanks -- please understand that project start times are always fluid. We ask for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.
    - Matt
    Motorola Owners' Forums

The part that I bolded is where the link is that takes you to the survey.
    Hey, just read this on Android Central: an email has gone out to a few members of the Xoom section on the Motorola Owner's Forums talking of a new project.

Hi,

Thanks for joining the Motorola Feedback Network. We are preparing a project
    for owners of the "Google Experience Device" version of the WiFi-only
    Motorola Xoom. (This is the U.S. version only.) If you own this particular
    model, we would like to invite you to participate.

Click this link to take a short enrollment survey for this project. Please
    note that you must be a member in good standing of the Motorola Owners'
    Forums to take part. We have recently moved our forums communities to a new
    site, and YOU MUST RE-REGISTER to be considered a member. Please visit our
    new site and complete your registration update if you have not done so
    already. Be sure to fill out the MFN opt-in information on the new site.
    This is a confidential project under the terms of the Motorola Feedback
    Network. Do not post any details or information about this project on any
    public sites.

Thanks -- please understand that project start times are always fluid. We ask
    for your patience if you register but don't hear from us right away.

- Matt
    Motorola Owners' Forums

Did anybody get a copy of the email? Does anybody know what's going on?

I first read it here.
    Plus, be careful that future updates don't somehow lock down the bootloader. Some may not care, but I won't ever willingly go back to stock.

first rule of Xoom project club is you arent allowed to talk about the xoom project...