[DEV] USB 3g for a500 wifi only

Search This thread

allhail

Jun 27, 2011
Mangalore
zte AC2746

i have a zte AC2746 cdma/evdo usb data dongle.(mts mblaze india)

i am using Virtuous Picasso v. 1.0.8 acer base

i think i disabled the zero cd with AT+ZCDRUN=8

i would love to get some help on making this dongle work on my iconia

mike 25

May 8, 2010
USB 3G App

Great Work!!

I am really new at this!!!! Are you guys maybe looking at developing an App for this?

pingram3541

Jan 28, 2011
Not sure yet if the novotel usb dongles work yet but I found that using hyperterminal and these commands disable mass storage, i.e. zero_cd

AT$NWAUTOINSTALL=[0 | 1] 0 = disable, 1 = enable (disable zero_cd)
AT$NWAUTOINSTALL? (reports auto install state [0|1]) (verify disabled)

Also, if not already activated via a verizon manager app, this command should activate:

at+omadm=2 (activate device)
at$qcmipgetp (validate activation query)

Lastly, here is the dial setup I found on the web for Ubuntu using the novotel usb cards:

Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0
&C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = #777
Username = „?
Password = „?
Carrier Check = no
Stupid Mode = yes

Haven't got this working because I don;t know which, if any, modules will work yet...tried a few but keep getting exec failures when running ppp-start script. I really like Dexter_nlb's method of enabled system 3g options rather than command line dialer script but just haven't put together all the pieces yet.

Hope this info helps someone.

BadProgrammer

Jul 10, 2011
thor2002ro

I am very new and just bought my tablet 5 days ago. I am using USB 3G dongle. Can you please explain me steps by step process. How can i proceed with installing your files and than what app to run after attaching dongle.

I will be greatful if dongle can work for my iconia.

Thanks you for your super work.

mectec

Dec 29, 2010
I found some stuff on the Novetel 3G Usb that might be useful (or not)

I have a Novel Ovation MC998 from Bell Canada I would love to use on this Tablet. I looked and tried earlier work for the 3G Huawei dongle, but it didnt work for me.

I got a small program from the Novelwireless Developer Lounge that disables the Auto run (disable ZERO_CD) novatelwireless.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=254[/url]

and in the linuxquestions.org forum I found some information on how to set this dongle up on a linux system linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-do-you-properly-install-a-novatel-turbo-stick-usb-modem-773492/

Perhaps a Developer can have a look and see if this is useful

M

smaiitm

Dec 30, 2007
thor2002ro

I am very new and just bought my tablet 5 days ago. I am using USB 3G dongle. Can you please explain me steps by step process. How can i proceed with installing your files and than what app to run after attaching dongle.

I will be greatful if dongle can work for my iconia.

Thanks you for your super work.

Please read the first page/post from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1118639

I have tried on 3.01 and it worked. Not sure about 3.1.

dummy_user

Jul 21, 2010
Working setup: A500 (wifi) and Huawai 3G modem

Hi everybody

I did some experiments to get my A500 running with my Huawei 3G modem. After some pretty short nights, here my conclusions:

• I only got it working with a custom ROM (I am using HoneyVillain 1.0.5, but others should do as well).
  • I needed to deactivate the cd-rom part of the 3G stick (for Huawei see here: h**p://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=324405)
  • PIN is disabled (I used a spare phone to do this)
  • the 3G modem seemed to work only after a reboot. After disconnecting the modem, it wouldn't start again.
  • To be able to use the 3G modem after unplugging and reconnecting, I wrote a small application that restarts the "ril-daemon". This could be done in a shell, but it's easier to use if you can do it with a single click.
  • The "restart-3g" application can be found attached to this post. Provided without guarantee. It's not very nice yet, but it works. ;)

Attachments

• restart3g.apk
    12.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Reactions: star80

star80

Jan 11, 2008
Thank you for application! I will try that.
I have another problem, on most of custom roms, after using Huawei 3G modem my wifi stops working, I have the same problem with HoneyVillain rom, I have tried it with different kernels, but the problem is still there.
the only rom I could get it working is virtuous galaxy
How do you get it work with HoneyVillain rom? do you have any solution for that?

Thanks in advance

Hi everybody

I did some experiments to get my A500 running with my Huawei 3G modem. After some pretty short nights, here my conclusions:

• I only got it working with a custom ROM (I am using HoneyVillain 1.0.5, but others should do as well).
  • I needed to deactivate the cd-rom part of the 3G stick (for Huawei see here: h**p://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=324405)
  • the 3G modem seemed to work only after a reboot. After disconnecting the modem, it wouldn't start again.
  • To be able to use the 3G modem after unplugging and reconnecting, I wrote a small application that restarts the "ril-daemon". This could be done in a shell, but it's easier to use if you can do it with a single click.
  • The "restart-3g" application can be found attached to this post. Provided without guarantee. It's not very nice yet, but it works. ;)

misterright321

Apr 13, 2010
can anyone help.
I'm already a busy time for my acer A500 to connect to a 3G modem option.
I have the kernel (s) on it, I think
get only those files ppp not in the system directory.
He is rooted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3g kernel module found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1058713

ok i got 3g to work but small problem... internet works in console and in browser... any other app doesnt see the internet... I'm a linux kind of guy so maybe I'm missing something on the android part...

How to:
    Code:
    disable ZERO_CD on the 3g modem

put the modules from my other post in the root of /sdcard
    put chat,ppp-start.sh,ppp-stop.sh in /system/xbin and give them execution permissions
    go into /etc/ppp and make a directory "peers" 
    put 3g in the peers dir you just created
    in console type: 
    su <enter>
    ppp-start.sh <enter>

and done you should see the ppp0 interface

[B]PS: ttyUSB2 may need to be modified in 3g file depending on your modem...[/B]
    Anyone know how to disable zero cd on a ZTE MF112 the regular zte AT commands don't seem to work?

zerocd on MF112 is disabled with AT+ZCDRUN=8
    reenable zerocd with AT+ZCDRUN=9
    Disable ZERO_CD on the Huawei 3g modem:

Connect your USB modem to your PC, find out the COM port used by the modem and then connect via putty to the COM port and send AT^U2DIAG=0

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10617881&postcount=1
    new system update, has no modversions, so modules are invalid

insmod: init_module '/sdcard/usb_wwan.ko' failed (File exists)
    insmod: init_module '/sdcard/option.ko' failed (File exists)
    Just a quick note, i read in another thread, that the new kernel update, uses a kernel without the the "modversion" added, so thesekernel modules needs to be replaced by new ones.

"-00001-g9b3ce2b" this is no longer part of the kernel revision.
    Working setup: A500 (wifi) and Huawai 3G modem

Hi everybody