[GUIDE] Update 20/02/14: HTC Desire S Guide (V1.04) For Newcomers to Android

• Thread starter Deleted member 2496007
  • Start date
Search This thread

Alan G31

Jul 10, 2011
I have recently purchased and HTC Desire S it is my first smart phone so I am going through a whole new learing curve. I need a little expert advice if someone could help:

Is there an app available that will allow me to increase the font size in the people folder as I am now reaching the point were the eyes are not so good.note: I have heard that it is planned in the next update(rumour only)

Having read with interest an article name HTC Operators Guide on the forum (a pdf awsome) I have now found your original post, having gone through it thoroughly I found Tasker to be very interesting, although a little deep, can anyone advise me if it is possible to do the following:

Automatically turn off my bluetooth (used for car kit) when in range of my home wifi and do the reverse, turn the bluetooth on as soon as I am out of range of the wifi. If it is possible the formula would be much appreciated as this would sway my decision to purchase.

Thanks

Alan

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Automatically turn off my bluetooth (used for car kit) when in range of my home wifi and do the reverse, turn the bluetooth on as soon as I am out of range of the wifpi. If it is possible the formula would be much appreciated as this would sway my decision to purchase.

In short yes this yes all possible, I also paid for tasker after reading this guide and have never regretted it for a minute

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

nodeffect

Mar 7, 2011
I plan to now that alpharevx seems to be up and running. Waiting for the windows version to be up, then have to talk my friend into letting me test it on his stock Desire S!

That'll be a BIG update though. Lots of ground to cover. Probably take me a few weeks until that part is ready.

I have created some guide for my home country website. maybe this helps you on the s-off and flashing guide. http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1951676

pyatka

Jul 10, 2011
does anyone have compiled tun.ko? i have stock:
Code:
 $ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.35.10-g13f6602 #1 PREEMPT Sat Mar 12 20:21:53 CST 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux

D

Deleted member 2496007

I have recently purchased and HTC Desire S it is my first smart phone so I am going through a whole new learing curve. I need a little expert advice if someone could help:

Is there an app available that will allow me to increase the font size in the people folder as I am now reaching the point were the eyes are not so good.note: I have heard that it is planned in the next update(rumour only)

Having read with interest an article name HTC Operators Guide on the forum (a pdf awsome) I have now found your original post, having gone through it thoroughly I found Tasker to be very interesting, although a little deep, can anyone advise me if it is possible to do the following:

Automatically turn off my bluetooth (used for car kit) when in range of my home wifi and do the reverse, turn the bluetooth on as soon as I am out of range of the wifi. If it is possible the formula would be much appreciated as this would sway my decision to purchase.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan.

Yes it is indeed possible to do what you want. You need to create a profile that uses the 'WiFi Near' state. This will, when it sees the SSID of your wifi, turn off bluetooth, and we set an exit task so it reverses it when you leave. However, that would (on it's own) mean that you have to have the WiFi on your phone turned on all the time so it sees your home network. This will drain battery so we need to create another profile that will use the 'Cell Near' state to switch your WiFi on. Cell Near only uses cell tower number and signal strength to determine a rough location, so it uses no extra juice as your phone is on all the time anyway.

Step 1: Home Mode (using cell near)
This will turn your wifi on and off when you get close to home and leave home.

Obviously you need to set this one up when at home!
In Tasker, press 'New' and call the profile 'Home Mode' or similar.
Then select 'State'.
Select 'Cell Near'.
This will bring up a box, in that box, select 'scan'.
Leave this going for 10 minutes. Cell tower strength can fluctuate so give it a few minutes to settle. You'll see a number pop up in the white box. The first number is the cell tower nearest you, and the number at the end is signal strength. Wait until this number settles. Then hit 'stop'.
Select 'New Task'.
No need to name it.
Hit the '+' then select 'Net'.
Select 'WiFi' and change the drop-down to 'on'.
Then select 'Done'.
Your new profile now appears in your profile list. Press the right-hand part. An option box will pop up, select 'Add exit task'.
Select 'new task' and this time set it up to turn WiFi off.

This will now handle your wifi. Mine comes on when I am just driving onto my estate, approx 200m from my house.

Step 2: Car Bluetooth mode (using WiFi Near)

Again you need to set this one up when within range of your WiFi.
Set up your new profile as above selecting 'State'.
This time select 'WiFi Near'.
Hit the little magnifying glass symbol in the SSID box, and select your network. Then 'done'.
Select a new task, and as above select 'Net' but then select 'Bluetooth' and set it to off.
As before, add an exit task which turns Bluetooth On.
Done!

Now as you approach home, Tasker will turn on your WiFi just in time to see your network, which will then turn off bluetooth. When you leave home, Tasker will see you drop out of your network range and turn Bluetooth on, then drive a little further and Tasker will turn off your WiFi!

:)

After-thought Edit: Do you turn your WiFi off at night? If so, Tasker will faithfully turn your Bluetooth on!
If you do (like me) shut it all down at night, you might want to tweak the 'Car Bluetooth Mode' to have a time context to stop Bluetooth being on all night. In the profile list, tap the left-hand part of the Bluetooth Car mode, and select 'Add' and select 'Time' context. In here put the range of time you want this Car Bluetooth mode to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alan G31

Alan G31

Jul 10, 2011
Hi Alan.

Yes it is indeed possible to do what you want. You need to create a profile that uses the 'WiFi Near' state. This will, when it sees the SSID of your wifi, turn off bluetooth, and we set an exit task so it reverses it when you leave. However, that would (on it's own) mean that you have to have the WiFi on your phone turned on all the time so it sees your home network. This will drain battery so we need to create another profile that will use the 'Cell Near' state to switch your WiFi on. Cell Near only uses cell tower number and signal strength to determine a rough location, so it uses no extra juice as your phone is on all the time anyway.

Step 1: Home Mode (using cell near)
This will turn your wifi on and off when you get close to home and leave home.

Obviously you need to set this one up when at home!
In Tasker, press 'New' and call the profile 'Home Mode' or similar.
Then select 'State'.
Select 'Cell Near'.
This will bring up a box, in that box, select 'scan'.
Leave this going for 10 minutes. Cell tower strength can fluctuate so give it a few minutes to settle. You'll see a number pop up in the white box. The first number is the cell tower nearest you, and the number at the end is signal strength. Wait until this number settles. Then hit 'stop'.
Select 'New Task'.
No need to name it.
Hit the '+' then select 'Net'.
Select 'WiFi' and change the drop-down to 'on'.
Then select 'Done'.
Your new profile now appears in your profile list. Press the right-hand part. An option box will pop up, select 'Add exit task'.
Select 'new task' and this time set it up to turn WiFi off.

This will now handle your wifi. Mine comes on when I am just driving onto my estate, approx 200m from my house.

Step 2: Car Bluetooth mode (using WiFi Near)

Again you need to set this one up when within range of your WiFi.
Set up your new profile as above selecting 'State'.
This time select 'WiFi Near'.
Hit the little magnifying glass symbol in the SSID box, and select your network. Then 'done'.
Select a new task, and as above select 'Net' but then select 'Bluetooth' and set it to off.
As before, add an exit task which turns Bluetooth On.
Done!

Now as you approach home, Tasker will turn on your WiFi just in time to see your network, which will then turn off bluetooth. When you leave home, Tasker will see you drop out of your network range and turn Bluetooth on, then drive a little further and Tasker will turn off your WiFi!

:)

After-thought Edit: Do you turn your WiFi off at night? If so, Tasker will faithfully turn your Bluetooth on!
If you do (like me) shut it all down at night, you might want to tweak the 'Car Bluetooth Mode' to have a time context to stop Bluetooth being on all night. In the profile list, tap the left-hand part of the Bluetooth Car mode, and select 'Add' and select 'Time' context. In here put the range of time you want this Car Bluetooth mode to work.
Thanks for your detailed help, I will now purchase Tasker and give it a try , Its good to know there are folks like you out there, I will let you know how I get on with this

againg thanks for your help Alan

chockyT

Jun 27, 2011
plymouth, UK
At the start of the guide you say its not for those who have used android for a while..... Ive been on android since the release of the HTC Hero, i dont class myself as an experienced user but definately not clueless. This guide still helped me immensely, so on that note, thanks very much, great work and very appreciated (especially on Tasker).

All the best,

Si

Alan G31

Jul 10, 2011
Good Afternoon ,
Sorry to have to pick your brains againg but I have now purchased Tasker and set up the Home mode as you suggested and it worked fine, but the Bluetooth is unable to turn its self back on after I cut the WiFi (to simulate driving out of range) ,

Has yet i have not tried to turn off the bluetooth in the evening (timmer) any thoughts on why the bluetooth is being awkward i have rechecked everything twice

I think I read about being able to set up a pop up Balloon (I assume) showing recent text messages or email notifications could you give me a quick direction on this

again thanks for your advice it really is invaluable while i find my feet

Alan

ps have you any knowledge regarding the possibility of increasing the font size in people/contacts

D

Deleted member 2496007

Had the same problem with the bluetooth. Going to try a different way of doing it, and I'll let you know of it works!

I'll also sort out the pop ups. Been a long day though so will tackle it tomorrow.

Not sure how to do the contacts font size change. Not without root anyway. Have you tried another third party contact app from the marketplace? I hear 'Go Contacts' is pretty good.

Alan G31

Jul 10, 2011
Regarding Font Size the only option I have come across is rooting which i dont really want to go down (phones is 4 weeks old) and i have had loads of software stability issues.

HTC have mentioned that they are aware of the issues and it is likley to be addressed in the next 2.3 update however I have had several denials of this by HTC support (they dont know) although I have had an email saying it is likley to happen.

The problem here is for the older generation (my self included lol) finding your reading glasses to use the phone book is a real pain.

HTC did tell me there is a 2.3.4 out on the New Sensation (I could be corrected on model) although it is a dual core processor, and mentioned his thoughts as to wether 2.3.4 would slow down a Desire S (as with the Desire & 2.3 gingerbread update they are having issues with)

I will be keen to know your outcome on the bluetooth, wondered if using Cell Near would work but probably not as accurate , one thing i realised is if you are on the phone as you arrive home it would be nessecary to transfer the call to the phone before the last hundred yards of the journey with this option therefore making your first plan more accurate

alan

D

Deleted member 2496007

Interesting. I cannot get bluetooth to behave properly based on location either. Going to email the developer to see if it's a known issue with htc phones.

kablitz

Jul 14, 2011
Great thread! It was really helpful..:)

Say, is there a way to make the vibration longer or more intense? I sometimes don't realize there was a text message if I am walking or commuting because i am used to a more intense vibrate (I was using a Nokia phone before my Desire S).

Last edited:

al89nut

Apr 20, 2010
Southampton
Here is something which I don't recall the Desire doing. I might be wrong.

If you shrink the homescreens down to tiles, you can then swap them around, eg change their order

D

Deleted member 2496007

Great thread! It was really helpful..:)

Say, is there a way to make the vibration longer or more intense? I sometimes don't realize there was a text message if I am walking or commuting because i am used to a more intense vibrate (I was using a Nokia phone before my Desire S).

The only way I know of to help you there, is to use the third party sms app called Handcent. With this you can set the vibration pattern to your liking. You can also set it to repeat the notification x minutes later if you haven't noticed it. Good app.

Reactions: texastutt

khamoshpathak

Apr 24, 2011
Thank you for writing this.. helped me a lot.. especially the gpsFix app.. in endomondo the gps used to be work after i walked like a km. now its just instant.. and i am really looking forward to buying tasker too..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    As the title says, this is something I’ve done for newcomers to Android. It covers only the basics. Experienced Android users will already know this stuff.

I did it as I was always forwarding the same help/advice e-mails to my friends when they bought their HTC Android phones, so I made this to save me fishing out the same e-mails. It was originally for the Desire but I have brought it up to date for the Desire S.

I’ve seen a lot of the same questions being asked here on this Desire S forum. This should help some of you. As this phone currently has a locked up bootloader, the experienced ROM-flashing hardcore Android crowd will probably not pick up this phone. It’s more likely that it will be Android newcomers that buy the Desire S.

If this helps you out, great. :)

Updated 1st June 2011. Changelog;
    • Miscellaneous spelling errors and syntax adjusted and tweaked.
    • Incorporated your comments (e.g. adjusting Timeriffic capabilities)
    • Added a tutorial for getting started with Tasker!
    • Added a quick fix for the creaking battery cover issue.
    • Added clarification on some permissions on free ad-supported apps.
    • Added advice on dealing with App problems and using the marketplace feedback feature.
    • Added warning about Fastboot mode issues.

Updated 28th June 2011. Changelog;
    • Added Index
    • Added Ultimate Charging Tip - Get 24 hours instead of 12!

Updated 21st February 2014. Changelog;
    • Made some tweaks to allow for maturation of Android since 2011
    • Adjusted recommended Apps list to allow for changes since 2011

Disclaimer: I no longer have the Desire S or have any knowledge of the current ROMS available for it. For those reasons some of the info in this guide migt be outdated. Follow with caution, and perhaps feed back where it is wrong?

Download from my Dropbox (in .pdf format) here;

Edit: This dropbox link below will occasionally expire and stop working. Please let me know when it does and I'll refresh it ASAP. I'm subscribed to this thread with e-mail notification so (unless I'm mid ROM-flashing) I'll get your posts replied to quickly.

Link updated 23rd Jul 2014: https://www.dropbox.com/s/601j4ayswkzk9o0/HTC Desire S Owners Guide V1.04.pdf
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    Glad it is of some help to people and thank you for the positive feedback everyone. I will get the guide updated when I get a few minutes. I'm away this weekend. I think I may add a Tasker guide!

Tasker can use GPS as a way of determining location, but you can use other ways. You can even control how often Tasker turns GPS on to get a location fix if you use it in a profile. For the most part, GPS is unnecessary as it is too accurate for most profile requirements. The best way Tasker does approximate location is using a state called, "Cell Near".

What this does is look at your nearest cell tower ID number and signal strength. When it see the right cell tower with the right signal strength, Tasker knows I'm at home. This is economical because it is only using 2G radio info which is on all the time anyway. Obviously it would also think I was home if I was on the same radius around the cell tower, but it's as accurate as I need for my "Home Mode" profile. Typically I see it activate as I am driving onto my estate where I live.

Tasker also knows which parameters in a profile use the least power, and will monitor those first and wait until they are satisfied before moving onto monitor the next parameter in a profile. For example, if you needed to use GPS for a very accurate location-based profile, you can keep power usage down by adding a "Time" context. Say you need your phone to send your wife a text message when you reach a certain point on your journey home after work each day. ("Get my dinner ready!" ;)) If you add a time context of "Between 5pm and 7pm" and "Monday to Friday" Tasker will wait until those are met before turning GPS on every X seconds to check where you are.

This way it doesn't hog battery power and my wife has time to get dressed and kick the postman out before I get back. :)
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    any link for camera fir of jelly bean

Errrrr....here you go?

android_jelly_bean_-11384218-picsay.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    Tasker is a great way to spend hours tinkering just to save a couple of minutes of phone use, loads of settings and profiles. Had it a month and still tinkering. :D

sent from the thing I stab with my finger when I get two minutes

Don't forget to install the useful plugin called 'Secure Settings' from the market if you are rooted. Gets past certain Tasker limitations like being able to toggle GPS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    AutomateIT starts GPS ervery time you set an location based trigger. Contraprodactive for battery saving - and not necessary (weather and other location based apps do it by a-gps)
    Don't know if Tasker do start gps, but for me Automateit isn't a good choice..
    I am sorry, but it's not right. In particular, "AutomateIt" has "Enable/Disable GPS" action, which you can use with either the location (home/office) or any location based application events.
    An example: "Entering proximity region ... - disable GPS"
    When GPS is disabled, "AutomateIt" can use the available networks only to detect the location. To this end, use the flag "Allow Coarse Accurasy", see the manual at http://muzikant-android.blogspot.com/2011/02/automateit-automate-your-android.html