HTC EVO Shift 4G Getting Gingerbread 2.3 OTA Starting June 20th

Search This thread

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
it's nice to see the shift got Sense 2.1 and Andriod 2.3.3. Congratulations guys you should be very happy with that.

Jedman67

Jun 14, 2011
NYC
Alright, i tried to wipe+flash, installed but froze up on the load screen. I tried to flash it over my pre-existing cm7, it loads, but its terribly buggy. it looks decent, but im getting "force close" errors all over the place

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
So, I rooted the Evo Shift in my signature, mainly to remove bloatware. Only Root app i have running on there is AdBlock, which frankly doesn't see that much use. (and superuser of course, but that doesn't count) Will I be able to fetch the update without any issues? I don't mind loosing root for a while on this device if it means having gingerbread.

dfin13

Aug 23, 2007
Memphis, TN
You don't need s off for those to work. Hopefully they can give you temp root so you can try to flash the engineering hboot for full root

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App
I'll try again. I tried Gingerbreak through ADB earlier today, using instructions from a Nexus S thread, and it didn't finish. I'll try Super One Click and see if that works.

F

FdxRider

So, I rooted the Evo Shift in my signature, mainly to remove bloatware. Only Root app i have running on there is AdBlock, which frankly doesn't see that much use. (and superuser of course, but that doesn't count) Will I be able to fetch the update without any issues? I don't mind loosing root for a while on this device if it means having gingerbread.

Why lose root it's already rooted ,go to the dev section look for the thread by x99 he just put up today. D/l wipe flash away.

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA Premium App

csdj92

Mar 30, 2011
X99 version works perfect the key lights are a little dim but everything else is perfect.

Edit: Im having a huge memory leak problem.

Last edited:

dfin13

Aug 23, 2007
Memphis, TN
You don't need s off for those to work. Hopefully they can give you temp root so you can try to flash the engineering hboot for full root
Turns out the Gingerbreak app needs S-OFF. I tried Super One Click and couldn't gain any sort of root, with either psneuter or Gingerbreak. Both just sit there while SOC says it's running whichever exploit, and never finish :(

craven667

May 11, 2011
update

so with this update will it keep asking us to update like the sprint voice mail did i am on cm7 rooted overclocked and dont want it stock

trestevenson

Oct 21, 2010
This is good news for Evo Shift owners! With all of the Gingerbread love going around these days, I feel like I need to jump on the bandwagon and download a 2.3 ROM for my D1.

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
hopefully my girlfriend gets the update soon. her shifts laggy as hell and she doesnt let me touch it since i ran z4root on it. :)

unoriginal

Jan 27, 2009
If I download the update does it run automatically? Or can I grab it off my sdcard so that I can save it to my PC?

drewbuchman

Jul 29, 2010
Woodstock
There is a flashable rooted zip on here search for gingershift ill post a link to it when i get home.....

rhaase345

Jun 19, 2011
Stuck on htc Screen

My phone prompted me to update yesterday. I downloaded it, but it failed. It locked up on the htc screen with the white background. I popped out the battery and it booted to 2.2 without issue. I visited two different Sprint stores today. Both tried to factory reset in hboot and it got stuck on the htc screen just like the update. I have never permanently rooted this phone, but do use Visionary for WiFi thether occasionally.

Has anyone run into this? I am not opposed to flashing, but afraid it will get stuck on the htc screen after doing so and then not boot at all.

The second Sprint store thinks the low-level software is corrupt and the phone needs to be replaced. They will replace it for $35, but I want to see if anyone knows a fix beforegoing that route.

drewbuchman

Jul 29, 2010
Woodstock
My phone prompted me to update yesterday. I downloaded it, but it failed. It locked up on the htc screen with the white background. I popped out the battery and it booted to 2.2 without issue. I visited two different Sprint stores today. Both tried to factory reset in hboot and it got stuck on the htc screen just like the update. I have never permanently rooted this phone, but do use Visionary for WiFi thether occasionally.

Has anyone run into this? I am not opposed to flashing, but afraid it will get stuck on the htc screen after doing so and then not boot at all.

The second Sprint store thinks the low-level software is corrupt and the phone needs to be replaced. They will replace it for $35, but I want to see if anyone knows a fix beforegoing that route.

it sounds to me like its time for a new device too i work at Nexgeneration cellular in Cartersville GA as a tech and that def sounds like a low level software issue to me and sprint stores dont have the tools to fix this issue. sorry bro but IMO that is you only option.

Reactions: rhaase345

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like we are finally gonna get the official GB update.
    It will start pushing the 20th but as of the 17th you can manually update by going to MENU>SETTINGS>SYSTEM UPDATES>HTC SOFTWARE UPDATE
    Source
    http://androidcommunity.com/htc-evo...gerbread-2-3-ota-starting-june-20th-20110615/

well I just hope it is not like the damn evo 4g gingerbread update full of bugs lol
    I will be waiting to install it as well. The root process on this phone is already involved enough. It will probably be a long time, if ever, before it gets rooted again after they patch the root method we are currently using.

The one thing I am curious about is if we are stock rooted will we be able to ignore the notifications about updating or is it going to constantly notify us to update forever?

If you turn off update notifications, you will never be notified.

Menu > Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Update (uncheck box)
    There is a flashable rooted zip on here search for gingershift ill post a link to it when i get home.....

This is the Flashable rooted zip drewbuchman is talking about:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127169

it sounds to me like its time for a new device too i work at Nexgeneration cellular in Cartersville GA as a tech and that def sounds like a low level software issue to me and sprint stores dont have the tools to fix this issue. sorry bro but IMO that is you only option.
    This is the Flashable rooted zip drewbuchman is talking about:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127169

Thanks i didn't get home till late last night and i hit your thanks button too.