[HowTo] Replace x10 mini battery

Search This thread

adrscu

I have some updates.

After previously failing, with a bad battery, i sourced a genuine x10 mini battery. I've installed the new one, the phone ran just fine for about a week, and this battery also died..

I'm starting to think there may be another faulty part in the phone that causes our batteries to die...

The bad part is, now I can't recover the data I had on the phone, as the second battery is dead.

ebbano

Oct 31, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 8
Few week a go i've also replaced the battery.
All seem to work well, but I use it as spare phone and can' t confirm yours experiences

Sent from my LT26ii using Tapatalk

masterismos

Sep 13, 2011
Nafpaktos
i bought twice original x10 mini battery new and it works nice replaced by myself. no battery drains(depends on rom) but none died in 1st week or month.

ebbano

Oct 31, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 8
I used the x10mini very moderately,
I tend to perform near to full discharge before connect to power line, for the moment the battery seem to work very well.
@dioclau the procedure is very simple and intuitive ,
Just unscrew and remove the cover
For me the only difficult is to detach the original battery that's is attached with a very strong 2 face sticker

xristosdino

Nov 26, 2007
Patras
Can we make li-ion work on X10 mini? I tried but I'm probably doing it wrong. I can't follow the guide on the first post because the pics are missing, please, give me some help!

Reactions: jhun12

mrtrue

Jun 1, 2016
Does anybody have that instruction for using EP500 in Xperia Mini?
I can't see pictures in the top message....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The battery used for test is a BST-38 li-ion and should be 1200mah 2€ so I don't expect to be a great battery but this is only for reference.

tear down instructions

Please read all before starting this will help you choose the most convenient acting way.

Removal of original battery from its placing is a pain in the ass, cause it is very well attached to the aluminium cover whith a very sticky double-face tape ...so proceed with caution, after that I preferred to remove that tape: this permits to connect the battery "the rough way (img 10)" and then place the cover whithout sticking.

CIMG7439.jpg

CIMG7440.jpg

CIMG7443.jpg

CIMG7445.jpg

CIMG7447.jpg

This battery was easy to disassemble by removing printed tape and making a small cut on the bottom
    ...but be aware this may be not so easy with others!!

CIMG7448.jpg

CIMG7449.jpg

CIMG7450.jpg

soldered wires, this is a very complicated step for those who do not know how to use a solder very well, short circuit is round the corner, so first solder positive wire, then cover it with a good thermal tape then proceed with green (again cover it) and finally go for black. (however remember to solder wires in a sequence that avoids overlapping of wires while soldering: if the sequence was black>green>red it would have been easy to melt black wire while soldering green wire... and melt both green and black wire's cover while soldering red)
    Note that wires are soldered to run on the opposite direction in comparison wiht the original battery wiring, the reason is to obtain a perfect fit into battery compartment and to obtain a better resistance to wire dragging.

CIMG7451.jpg

Paper tape has been used to insulate battery's body.
    Please note that this picture does not show the final battery placing, you should imagine the batteryrotated by 180° (with wires on the right of the current image and then running on the side of the battery up to the hole which exposes the connector).
    So make sure the wires are long enough if you are wishing to use this setup
    (otherwise simply solder wires to run the opposite way compared to img 8).

(warning: the whole body is the Negative pole of the battery)

CIMG7452.jpg

Wires need to be cut perfectly to make sure they don't move,
    green wire should be a little bit shorter than red and black shorter than green.
    Wire's edges are stained, flattened with plain edge pliers to fit into connector (a hammer and a flat surface will do the job too) and cut to result fully inserted (this avoids unwanted wire scattering while plugging into connector). All this paying much attention to not short circuit wires (I suggest to ready wires one by one insulating with tape each edge, when done proceed by deinsulating and plugging one by one).

warning : positive (red wire) and middle battery contact (green wire) are both positive so prevent any hazard, notice that the whole battery's body is NEGATIVE so handle all wires paying much attention!!

yeah I know i did'nt use the original connector but this is not meant to be a permanent solution
    and still have the original battery usable

Before closing the hole with its rubber cover I placed some folded paper on the wires shown in image 10 (just to make sure the cables don't move).

Thanks
    to TheCuteCriminal for making public that Bst-38 batteries can be modded to fit
    regarding the 1200mah 3gpower battery:
    now seems to have reached its ful capacity (in 5 cycles)
    when I made the substitution the original battery used to last 8-9h with 3g data on and without sync (running miniCM 2.3.1), til now it endured about 800-900 charging cycles

It is well known that minicm (cyanogenmod) has a high battery drain under 3g with data on and
    this battery lasts 12h with data on and sync enabled (more power drain), + 20 call minutes.
    now I completed the definitive calibration, and will test in normal conditions

I can tell it behaves a little better than original when was new and it seems that dischargnig is more linear

takes about 100 min for charge vs first charge's 60 minutes

It took a while to obtain an almost full battery waking, but now it is all ok :)

more details in the next few days
    Pictures and explanations

Warning : this mod is hazardous as there is no more space and in case of battery failure it may lead to the destruction of the phone.

A. Disassemble the EP500 battery (same way as Gx3)
    499201DSC00138.jpg

B. Remove the original mini battery from its metallic frame and cut the 3 wires from their solder
    736136DSC00140.jpg

C. Preparation of the EP500 battery

1. Remove the coating on those tracks
    2. Cut the thermal protection and bent it so that it's become flat
    3. Resolder the thermal protection
    4. Tin the prepared tracks and positive pole of the battery
    5. Solder the 3 wires of the battery connector
    6 & 7. Insulate the whole BMS board (both sides) using tape
    8. Cut a window in the tape to let the thermal protection be in contact with the body of the battery
    9. Press the BMS against the battery
    153829Prsentation1.jpg

D. Insert the EP500 inside the metallic frame
    220558DSC00141.jpg

E. Finished !
    291950DSC00142.jpg
    Good work !!!

Good tutorial & good Job Gx3.......
    This will be helpful for many people....
    And thanks for mentioning my name.....:)

ps: now im modding our data-cable. Hope after modding,the USB-OTG feauture will be available on our mini's.
    You're right, more details may help.
    After disassembled the EP500, you'll see that the BMS board is separated from the battery, there is a gap between both, and the thermal protection fill this gap.

Is this enough ?