USB to Ethernet adapter

Search This thread

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
Well...it works great at home..but at work..it's a no go. Of course I think it has something to do with our settings here at work. Every time I try to go to a webpage it loads up the favicon and looks like it's about to load the page...then it says unable to connect to the internet. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Okay sooo..just that quick I fixed my problem. All I did was power the tablet off and then on again with the the plug still attached and it worked perfectly.

Did you see this?

Make sure you plug everything into the adapter/OTG cable BEFORE plugging it into your N7. While using a mouse/keyboard/hub I noticed if you plug the OTG cable in first and then a peripheral, the N7 won't recognize it.

Last edited:

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Can you run games or apps with ota stickmount?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

I'm sorry to hear about peoples adapters not working. Guess I was just lucky with mine
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Did you mean OTG? And what games would you have on there? All stickmount is used for is mounting flash drives

I think he meant: if you have the game in the USB drive (say.. ROMs for emulator), will it work if you run the emulator (installed in the tablet) while pointing to the ROMs file in the USB drive that is connected via OTG cable.

gaurav_lists

Jul 30, 2012
Very nice...I'm thinking this will work well for trips where the hotel offers free wired internet :D

I'll be ordering this tonight: <snip url>

Ah....that's why... Maybe Gigabit draws more power....

I get the link LED on and the activity LED flashes but it won't connect to my network.

It's been a couple days since the last posts about lack of success with Gigabit adapters - Has anyone had any luck? Waiting to pull the trigger on a 100Mbps adapter, but I'd like to go GigE if anyone has had success with the Monoprice or any other.

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
It's been a couple days since the last posts about lack of success with Gigabit adapters - Has anyone had any luck? Waiting to pull the trigger on a 100Mbps adapter, but I'd like to go GigE if anyone has had success with the Monoprice or any other.

Bump. Before I go buy a slow connector that works, I'd like to know if anyone else had any success. -Ara

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Apparently not. That sucks :/
The 10/100 adapter isn't like painfully slow or anything though. I transfer stuff using FTP on my home network at 5MB/s

gadgetgaz

Aug 20, 2007
Yorkshire
webandITstudio.com
Reactions: jezebabe

reb0rn21

Aug 9, 2012
Where i am from i can only buy some chines JP1082 usb lan adapter...

here i have faund driver for android, does that mean it will work?
also sealer from here tested it with some chines tablet and sad it work for him...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1641274

I still have to wait to buy nexus 7 due my state google no policy, but want to get needed adapter upfront

also mine other option is mini wifi ruter from tp-link, it has power over usb and its really small ~20euros
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR702N

or even cheaper chines one would be nice but i can`t find it at my state
http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Cheap_Mobile_Phones/Cell_Phone_Accessories/Mini_Wireless_Router_for_Tablets_Smartphones_and_PC_Ultra_Portable

el56

OK, so I finally took delivery of the adapter that I ordered back in post #33.
It cost all of $3, delivered. But it doesn't work out of the box, so far.

I plugged the adapter into my Linux desktop, where it was recognized immediately. The result of `lsusb` there gives:
Bus 002 Device 011: ID 0fe6:9700 Kontron (Industrial Computer Source / ICS Advent) DM9601 Fast Ethernet Adapter

When I plug it into my N7, however, `lsusb` adds just:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0fe6:9700
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0fe6:9700

I am seeing some activity about a DM9601 driver on other Android devices, such as the the Asus Transformer and Motorole Xoom. I'm wondering if anyone here has any tips on making this driver work on the N7. It could really offer a low cost way to use Ethernet.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience with recompiling kernels.

AraDreamer

Jul 23, 2012
Austin/Waco, Texas
plus.google.com
Got the plugable cable mentioned in this thread yesterday, and it works well enough to stream Netflix (tho of always HD). Would we have to have a custom kernel with embedded drivers to get gigabit and high speed to work? -Ara

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

reb0rn21

Aug 9, 2012

I plugged the adapter into my Linux desktop, where it was recognized immediately. The result of `lsusb` there gives:
Bus 002 Device 011: ID 0fe6:9700 Kontron (Industrial Computer Source / ICS Advent) DM9601 Fast Ethernet Adapter

I am seeing some activity about a DM9601 driver on other Android devices, such as the the Asus Transformer and Motorole Xoom. I'm wondering if anyone here has any tips on making this driver work on the N7. It could really offer a low cost way to use Ethernet.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience with recompiling kernels.

Well i bought the same ... thats only one i could find where i am :(
I still have no nexus 7 and could not try, driver used by ubuntu linus is dm9601.ko and i think those drivers here are for it:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1641274

duno if that can help you, one option is recompiled kernel with driver and 2nd one is to install driver module if its for the same kernel...
i am no linux exper but i think someone might help how to install those drivers or recompile kernel for it

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Nice find.. Makes me wonder though, is it possible to charge the N7 at the same time?

Like stick a Y Splitter onto the OTG USB cable and one end goes to charger, other goes to USB hub?

That would be amazing for a little DIY docking station lol. But I'm probably taking a real long shot arent I.

EDIT: Nevermind, just did a quick google search, it doesnt seem to be possible.
Although it looks like the not-yet-released official dock will charge the N7 via the dots on the side, leaving the USB port free.

Last edited:

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
I'm pretty excited for a dock to be released that uses the pogo pins

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

el56

Given up, found an alternative

In the research I've done since, I've come to the conclusion that its's just not worth the bother.
  • Yes there are Linux drivers available, but they're not standard so they must be recompiled for the kernel and manually added, and the learning curve for a newbie to do that is just too bloody steep. I've been using Linux since the 90s but haven't had to compile a kernel in a decade.
  • And then I'd have to rebuild every time there was a ROM update or if I wanted to experiment with new kernels.
  • And then, based on some comments here, I'd have to manually turn off the wifi and go into the command line just to set things up every time I wanted to use it.
It's just not worth it. So I went with Plan B ... getting a cheap Ethernet/wifi travel router that could do the job. And I found a dandy one, the TP-Link TL-WR703N. It's not sold retail outside China but is readily available on eBay and seems to have lots of third-party English language support. Moreover, it's supported by the OpenWRT project that allows me to turn this simple router into a little multi-purpose Linux system, in a very Raspberry-Pi-ish fashion. Using openWRT it could do everything in the stock ROM plus other things, such as running Samba to allow networked sharing of files on a USB stick.

But even without the ROM update, out of the box it will work as a Ethernet router, access point, 3G modem router, or wifi repeater. I got mine on auction for $20.50, those who don't want to bother with that path can "buy it now" for under $24 (includes shipping anywhere).
502_TL-WR703N%20(2).jpg

So... I have this $3 surplus Ethernet adaptor left over. It may be useful one day. But I can't use it without spending huge amounts of time on it, and the router path just seems a more worthwhile use of money and time. Not every experiment succeeds :)

I hope this helps someone else looking for the same solution.

Last edited:

AraDreamer

Jul 23, 2012
Austin/Waco, Texas
plus.google.com
Was ordering replacement charging cables (the one that came with my phone cracked, and I don't want to wear out the stiff and fragile-feeling one that came with my Nexus), and pulled the trigger on the monoprice.com Ethernet adapter (the 6 dollar one) to see if it works. Anyone know if I just wasted my money? It's a 10/100, so it shouldn't draw too much power to be incompatible, right?

And another question: has anyone who uses aexternally-powered USB hub with an OTG adapter used one of the ports for the gigabit or another and gotten it enough power to work that way? Or is this purely a driver issue, not a power issue?

-Ara

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So since the N7 supports USB OTG I was curious to know if a USB to ethernet adapter would work.
    I ended up buying this one: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethe...10/100+Fast+Ethernet+LAN+Network+RJ45+Adapter
    Got it in the mail today, plugged it in and it works great. It's only 10/100 so it's not super fast but still.
    I mostly was curious because I could definitely see myself using this at work to ping printers/computers to see if they're having network issues and things like that.

Make sure you plug everything into the adapter/OTG cable BEFORE plugging it into your N7. While using a mouse/keyboard/hub I noticed if you plug the OTG cable in first and then a peripheral, the N7 won't recognize it.

Screenshot_2012-07-23-17-47-51.png
    100MEDIA%24IMAG0003.jpg
    Sadly it doesnt work for me...does it have to do with kernel? Im using ParanoidAndroid stock kernel...anybody got it to work with this rom otherwise it has to be my delock lan-adapter. Cuz i can use my otg cable to watch movies or swap files, using a flash drive.

Sent from my Nexus 7

The stock CM10 kernel does not have the driver for the Delock adapter enabled by default, you have to edit the config when you compile the kernel for it to get added in.

Your Delock adapter probably uses the MCS7830 chipset. I've just done a compile of Bricked Kernel v0.55 (compatible with CM10/Paranoid) with that driver enabled. Try it out see if you like it. As always, Nandroid first!

For the record of what I did:

Bricked kernel stores default config in the arch/arm/configs/bricked_defconfig.

First, I cloned latest updates of showp1984's exp (v0.55) branch of Bricked source:

Code:
    git clone git://github.com/showp1984/bricked-grouper-3.x.git -b exp

Second, I edited arch/arm/configs/bricked_defconfig so that the line
    Code:
    # CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830 is not set
    changed to
    Code:
    CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830=y

After that, just had to re-compile (you can use the guide here to help setup your build environment if you so choose, most importantly you need to have the bin folder of your build toolchain in $PATH)

Code:
    export ARCH=arm
    export SUBARCH=arm
    export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
    make bricked_defconfig               (apply the config we edited earlier)
    make -j4                                  (because i have a quadcore laptop)

Regarding your Paranoid ROM, they use CM10 4.1.2 as a base and do not modify kernel, so you can apply the same concepts to that as well. Commands would change to
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_asus_grouper.git -b jellybean
    and from root of android_kernel_asus_grouper folder, edit config with
    Code:
    gedit arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_grouper_defconfig
    changing same lines as above. Then you would push that config instead with
    Code:
    make cyanogenmod_grouper_defconfig

I hope this helps!
    You just plug it in and it works. There's no notification or anything.
    You can see what your ip address is on the N7 by typing ifconfig wlan0 or by going into the settings for wifi or ifconfig eth0 if it's plugged in.
    I know how to set a static ip address through the terminal but it only lasts until you unplug the adapter. Once you plug it back in it goes back to DHCP.
    It doesn't work PoE though 'cause it's bus powered.
    The one in the screenshot is called airterm. Here's a link
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myboyfriendisageek.airterm

there are a couple others like terminal emulator and terminalIDE

I just like airterm 'cause it will stay on top of anything else you have open

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Gigabit Adapter working!

Can confirm that this adapter works flawlessly at 1000tx, dont even need to plug it in before plugin the OTG cable.

Levelone USB-0201

Cost me around 20USD.