Touchwiz 4.3 (VRUCML1/NC1) update discussion thread

Search This thread

saldomontoya

Jul 22, 2012
Lincoln, NE
Take that update and you will be on it for eternity. No unlock and no Odin back. :cool:

I kind of figured that. I am running CM 11 and loving it way too much. I don't even know what is even different on the TW 4.3 that would warrant me to go back to stock and lock my bootloader up (more than likely permanently) and then more than likely be disappointed and want to root anyway. Guess I can wait to see if something happens and, if not, no big deal to me. Just would be nice to try it out without being locked in. GO BIG RED! :cool:

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
You guys who said you use SwiftKey.. I love this new beta... Is there a way to get different themes? I tried, and it gave me some apktool this apktool that but no explanation how to use it..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Can't get themes except the one's that are included with Swiftkey or Swype. They are considered Warez on XDA and are banned as they are 3rd party paid apps. You need ApkTool, 7-zip and and a png editor such as Gimp to theme yourself. Lots of reading and practice. lol :cool:

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
I'm not sure the percentages, but I think a lot of us just want the guts because they'll help things on cm and other roms.

That's what myself mastamoon Chris and I'm sure snoop want.... We want to see if we can use the ril blobs in the new update with our kernel (our kernel is nothing like Sammy s kernel anymore)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 AM ----------

Can't get themes except the one's that are included with Swiftkey or Swype. They are considered Warez on XDA and are banned as they are 3rd party paid apps. You need ApkTool, 7-zip and and a png editor such as Gimp to theme yourself. Lots of reading and practice. lol :cool:

I think there are themes in gplay but I may be wrong =)

Reactions: kude87

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm telling you. I'm on the official cm11 nightlies,, and I have just as good signal, and even better battery then touch wiz.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Trust me, I've basically tried every CM 11 and even 4.3 with the qril merges....just doesn't handle data handoffs as well. Not taking anything away from any devs at all, they are all wonderful at what they do. But, I work in low signal areas and in university buildings. The signals change from none, to 1x, 3g, 4G quite often. It is definitely noticeable for me. Also, the camera is always going to be worse than the TW one. However, if was consistently in good signal and didn't really use my camera a lot, I'd have no reason to be on TW.

Reactions: yonith

strive53

May 6, 2011
s. jersey
Think everyone probably should just wait it out and let the devs work. I have a sprint s4 with the latest modem and running gummy. I did not flash the bootloader. Also I did my buddies sprint s3 when his update came out. Flashed modem and a stock rooted 4.3 ROM without the Knox boot loader. He couldn't b happier. I'm sure in a day or two there will b a way to just flash modem and ROM and leave out boot loader...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jmz768

Sep 17, 2008
Am I missing something, or is there no way to adjust the position of the clock on the lock screen? Before the update, my clock was centered, but now it on the left side and it's freaking me the hell out. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Yep I'm usually on aosp(hell my Inc is on Kitkat lol) but vzw is blowing the physical fuse in the processor like they did on the S4 known as the qfuse(qualcomm fuse) to keep us from installing unsigned firmware.. Basically once blown the trust zone makes a check to see if there is unsigned firmware on the device and if there is it just won't boot.. Vzw says it's because it costs them money having to fix bricked phones but really a majority of the bricks are caused by them.. Glad I got that out of the way =)

b

Ahh see THIS is more like it lol No other carrier is doing that? I heard rumors of AT&T being more adamant about locking down phones as well. Kinda wondered if their S3/S4 update had the same thing going on as well as ours. Probably isn't the case though is it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
b

Ahh see THIS is more like it lol No other carrier is doing that? I heard rumors of AT&T being more adamant about locking down phones as well. Kinda wondered if their S3/S4 update had the same thing going on as well as ours. Probably isn't the case though is it?

I think att left their s3 open as a "let's not pissoff all of our customers" thing but yeah we are going to be like the note 3 and s4 now unless someone can find an open vulnerable hole in the trustzone

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
b

Think Loserskater has ATT bootloader separated out also. Think thatis where I saw about TrustZone check also. :cool:

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I think att left their s3 open as a "let's not pissoff all of our customers" thing but yeah we are going to be like the note 3 and s4 now unless someone can find an open vulnerable hole in the trustzone

Should be fun times

Think Loserskater has ATT bootloader separated out also. Think thatis where I saw about TrustZone check also. :cool:

Yea I'm actually looking at one of his threads here. Probably isn't the same one you're referring to, but its all good.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

lets just hope the same can be done for us. Stupid Verizon locking everything down...whats the point of Android then; i might as well get an iPhone or whatever :eek:

OR stick with Nexus/GPe lineup and cruise control with quick updates and AOSP at its finest.

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
Should be fun times

Yea I'm actually looking at one of his threads here. Probably isn't the same one you're referring to, but its all good.

He actually did the leak first. I haven't looked at the OTA thread. We couldn't theme most the leak apks because the resources weren't complete and couldn't recompile. :cool:

Edit: That is the same thread.

Last edited:

CisternaChyli

Jan 22, 2013
Should be fun times

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

OR stick with Nexus/GPe lineup and cruise control with quick updates and AOSP at its finest.

i'll probably switch to HTC when my upgrade is due in April. At least with HTC all this bootloader nonsense can be defeated and they dont have any KNOX type of features.

tsachi

Sep 23, 2010
Yep I'm usually on aosp(hell my Inc is on Kitkat lol) but vzw is blowing the physical fuse in the processor like they did on the S4 known as the qfuse(qualcomm fuse) to keep us from installing unsigned firmware.. Basically once blown the trust zone makes a check to see if there is unsigned firmware on the device and if there is it just won't boot.. Vzw says it's because it costs them money having to fix bricked phones but really a majority of the bricks are caused by them.. Glad I got that out of the way =)

Unfortunately, it's not enough for them to have a Knox type fuse that kills warranty, they brick the phone for you.

arh2o

Jun 10, 2011
ROOT CITY
Can anyone at least pull the LTE and CDMA radios? For the AOSP crowd, that's what's most interesting about the update.

Jan 13, 2011
NH
I personally like that texts show up in my lock screen now. I also like the transparent notification bar. Overall I'm happy with it, I lost root but I'm ok with that for now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

zachf714

Jun 4, 2012
Mooresville
Unfortunately, it's not enough for them to have a Knox type fuse that kills warranty, they brick the phone for you.

Yeah that's verizon for you... In all seriousness the only reason the qfuse is in the phone to begin with is so if you have a phone like for say a consumer sprint motox and unlock the bootloader via motos site then brick later they don't have to fix it

kieso

Mar 18, 2009
Pretty much. I tried to update and it failed. I'm rooted on stock TW and unlocked. Tried a few things and I can't even get back to a stock unrooted rom :eek:

I guess I'll wait for a rooted rom.

I'm in the same boat as you. Error 7 and something about accuweather.odex missing. So I flashed an odexed version and now it says build.prop is wrong

tsachi

Sep 23, 2010
I think I'll try to install the update and run safe root. From the s4 site it seems like it will either work or not, but won't break anything.
I like tw, so it's not a big deal for me to stay on stock for a little.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wait for it...
    wait for it...
    I am so looking forward to being rooted, unlocked and on a TW 4.3 custom rom themed by Prdog1!
    thanks for the pound of hope and convincing so many not to take the ota!:good:
    We have it. Just waiting on a kernel mod. Everything works. Will be released as soon as kernel comes back. Will start working on a theme. May be AOSP type first as that is easier and quicker. :cool:
    Theme is coming along nicely.:cool:
    We working on it :good:
    Dogg, how many times are you going to edit your post to make ot sound like mine? You went from deleting the SDM without "ever getting it back", then edited it to "delete SDM uit change it SDM.bak", and now youre saying just freeze it, which is basically done through Titanium.

You need to quit trolling this thread, homeboy. You alone have 43 posts and they are mostly about telling people, "youre screwed" and "phone bricked/stuck on 4.3 for life" and then adding your little smiley face with sunglasses as if you are happy peeps phones are gettin messed with.

Makes me wonder sometimes if some, not all, but some of these "recognized contributors" on XDA are the ones who work for/with these companies that put out these locked bootloader/phpne bricking updates.

Do not start with the "paranoid" speculations either. This guy "seems" to have all the answers on whats going on with the new update and that theres "no going back" cuz of knox, but we find out data is compromised with the new samsung "CROX", I mean knox, security system. As if he "contributed" in the 4.3 locked bootloader update.

Quit trolling threads homeboy,:cool:

How rude. Prdog has helped countless folks on xda. Thanks prdog, I for one have learned a lot from reading your posts and responses on many threads.

You the man!!! I hope it works for me, post the link when you can.

I haven't bricked but this would be really big for a lot people. To what state does this restore a phone?

It restores to a "bootable state"

I flashed a different bootloader to forcefully brick my device.
    What this is is an SD Card(yes, you'll need an SD card, specifically class 10) image dump (of the basic blocks to start a boot process).
    I was able to boot into the actual 4.3 stock rooted ROM, stock recovery, and download mode.

I just need to figure out how to flash the stock bootloader back or reset. Probably going to try to use kies.
    Will post a whole thread and link to it when I have succesfully did everything.

*let it be known that you still won't be able to downgrade, you'll still be stuck on 4.3. I'll try figuring that out too maybe where it can be possible. In due time.
    My guess would be that he means a 4.3 touchwiz ROM that preserves unlocked boot loader (for those who have not yet upgraded).

And we have a winner. :p:cool: