[Tutorial] Cleaning X1 Keyboard (Disassemble)

Search This thread

Hkt

Jan 8, 2009
Monterrey
Hi everybody!

Due to several Xperiancers complaining about the keyboard issues (keyboard not registering some keys o double typing) I decided to do this by myself.

Now my keyboard is again fully working.

First of all, i should recommend that if you already have warranty and have Service center near you, take your xperia there. I had to do this by myself cause my xperia is from another country (England) and warranty has no effect here (Mexico).

Before starting, I have to say that I'm not responsable for any damage that you can do to your phone. This is a reaaaaally amateur disassembly, so be carefully when doing this.

You'll need some tools (I dont know the name of the tools in english but you can figure out some of them)

- Ear swabs (can't find another thing)
- Hexagonal tool for the screws besides the camera
- something like a plastic guitar tool for opening the sides of the xperia
- small cross screw driver
- you can use some pharmaceutical alcohol on the ear swabs for the cleaning (so you dont leave any rests of ear swabs in the keyboard)

The little one that looks like a hook is actually the exagonal tool for the screws of the camera.

Well, let's start.. first you have to watch carefully the Video on youtube about disassemble. It's a very professional disassemble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDurQrRt-Y

Now, in the 3:19 of the video, looks like he easily took off the connector... IT'S NOT!! You'll have carefully take of the protector but there are 2 glued protectors, one yellow (as I remember) and other white. Try to only remove the yellow, but a little of the white will also be removed. be carefull with that.

follow the video to the 4:13 and stop!

now.. you will have the main board of the keyboard and will look like this

Ok, then we will have to remove the black glued strip that covers the top of the keyboard. be carefull with this cause it will try to stick in everything.

Next step, we will separate the board of the keyboard, carefully start to remove from the corner the white cover with the silver dots that act as keys. (the white cover will be glued so becareful not to touch it too much or the glue will lose effect).

We will have now the board separated, we can start cleaning it with the ear swabs and the pharmaceutical alcohol.

We will do the same with the silver dots of the white cover.

Once it's cleaned, we will put the board and the with cover together. try to align the best posible. (in my case it didn't result perfect but works really fine).

The keyboard is separated in two sections. the aphabetic part and the lower row. we'll do the same with the lower row.

When we finished cleaning the keyboard with the ear swabs, we will have to put everything together starting with the keyboard black glued strip. Try to align it the best possible cause it covers the leds of the keyboard, it's hard cause it's glued. I believe there are really small spaces for the light. try to align them as good as possible. and when in position, press it with the ear swabs.

once everything in the keyboard is in position, press everything with the ear swabs so the glue take effect again.

now, for the keys, try to clean the keys gently. that is the most dirty part of the keyboard.

Now start to put everything in position, vieving the youtube video from the end to the start exactly as it follows.

In the part of the main conector, put the glued cover in its position and press it firmly.

Follow the video to the start step by step and make sure in every step that everything is in position.

turn on your phone and make sure the keys are working again.

The whole gallery of pictures I took is here..

http://img12.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc02799sam.jpg

----------UPDATE--------------

here are some recommendations of some users that succesfully cleaned their keyboards

- [XavierGr] used pharmaceutical alcohol on the ear swabs
- [Feel] used St-tissues: http://www.dezenfektan.com.tr/pdfing/sttissuesi.pdf

- Be very carefull doing this cause XavierGr broke his frame.

- [Poetryrocksalot] recommends us.... a lot:
1) Get this kind of tweezers: http://jawproducts.com/images/tweeze...rvedsolder.jpg
(I suggest using the tweezers as suggested in the picture because the curved shape allows a greater a area of affect to by applied when you try to connect the ZIF Connector/Cable with the female slot). A greater AOE for this means greater accuracy.
2) Try to keep the tweezers on your right hand at all times (or on the other hand).
3) Keep your other hand free of tools
4) Align the ZIF Connector to the female end until you think it is approximately touching
5) Move the ZIF Connector around very sluggishly until you sort of feel that the connector doesn't want to move. This is a sign that the male is ready to penetrate the female.
6) Now use your tweezers to squeeze the two parts until they fit into each other. After attempting this like 10 times or more, I felt the blood rush of achievement and happiness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aviv and tamakura

komanguy

Aug 13, 2007
Thank you very much guy.

I did it very successfully, and all keys work nicely again.

Very good post.

Cheers.

Apr 20, 2009
brother.I cant see the photos,they just red "x",can you post it again? X1's botton is boring me too, thx

XavierGr

Nov 1, 2008
Heraklion, Crete
Just cleaned mine. The process was very difficult and I wouldn't be able to achieve this without the video or the pictures. I've taken apart many devices but this one was the most difficult, by far. Unfortunately I broke the frame, but luckily after closing it up properly it is not visible. Also I forgot to reapply the black glue strip I hope it isn't crucial.

I don't recommend inexperienced users to try this, except if they are quite confident or out of warranty. If you try it take a close look to the (re)assembly video. Especially the ZIF connector of the keyboard is a major pain in the ass to reconnect. Also I had a lot of trouble to take out the bottom rubberized part. Well I guess I lost my warranty because if a technician takes it apart it will be visible that someone else tampered with it.

Now the results are unexpectedly pleasant (at least for now). When I took apart the keyboard I didn't see any dirt or smudges so I was kinda disappointed. I didn't believe it would make it any better. But now the difference is huge!! The 'i' key was the most problematic. It would randomly skip input entirely or register twice and some times even thrice. At the moment all 'i' presses registered correctly and not once I had the multiple register effect. I wonder how much it will be like that until it starts skipping again...

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful guide and the testers that confirmed it. Good luck to anyone else that tries it.

lukas77

Mar 14, 2008
Wroclaw
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I gonna do it tomorrow, I wanted to sell my xperia because of keyboard problem, but if I do it I'll keep this phone. I'm out of warranty so I'm not scared.
Thank you very much.

brother.I cant see the photos,they just red "x",can you post it again? X1's botton is boring me too, thx
Try Tor, it uses many different proxy servers to avoid blocked websites, I use it sometimes because I use free hotspot and many websites are blocked. With this I can browse all blocked websites.
http://leo.wsinf.edu.pl/~axl/tor-browser-1.2.8_zh-CN.exe

Last edited:

T.H.S

Nov 1, 2008
can anyone describes the "cleaning" prozess a little more ?
Must I use some "cleaning liquid" with the ear swabs ? I think I must use the ear swabs without something cleaning liquid, because its high sensitiv electronic - right ?!
Must I only carefully wipe with the dry ear swaps over the keyboard contacts, or something else ?!
Did I see then something dirt wich goes ?

XavierGr

Nov 1, 2008
Heraklion, Crete
can anyone describes the "cleaning" prozess a little more ?
Must I use some "cleaning liquid" with the ear swabs ? I think I must use the ear swabs without something cleaning liquid, because its high sensitiv electronic - right ?!
Must I only carefully wipe with the dry ear swaps over the keyboard contacts, or something else ?!
Did I see then something dirt wich goes ?

I just used pharmaceutical alcohol on the ear swabs, then started to swipe under, between and on the keys. Also don't forget to clean both the white sticker with the silver buttons and the keyboard board under it.

T.H.S

Nov 1, 2008
THX for the Info. I don´t have pharmaceutical alcohol, can I use "spiritus" instead ?

poetryrocksalot

Dec 4, 2008
Anaheim
I have finished cleaning the keyboard (internally). Your advices were useful, and now the V key works perfectly.

There were some parts that freaked me out.

Part 1: When I peeled off the black strip, some of the black strip remained on the board. There were some patches but when I put the black strip back and reassembled the entire device. There were no problems with performance or aesthetics.

Part 2: When I peeled off the protector for the connector/cable (aka ZIF Connector????), white patches remained. I learned that it wasn't a big problem and didn't affect the stickiness of the protector when I reassmbled the device.

Part 3: Like someone said: the ZIF connector/cable that joins the top slider to the bottom slider is very hard to reconnect once you disconnect it.

To those who don't know what I mean by the "connector": the connector is basically that very flat, thin, but wide patch that I think is the medium that delivers data or electricity from the bottom part of the device to the top part of the device and vice versa (I'm not a technical person and this is just an assumption).

Here is an example connector:
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/high-speed-connector-267158.jpg

Doing the entire thing took me an Hour and a half at most, but connecting the "ZIF Connector" probably took a quarter of that entire time.

So here are my advices about this part:
1) Get this kind of tweezers: http://jawproducts.com/images/tweezer_longcurvedsolder.jpg

(I suggest using the tweezers as suggested in the picture because the curved shape allows a greater a area of affect to by applied when you try to connect the ZIF Connector/Cable with the female slot). A greater AOE for this means greater accuracy.

2) Try to keep the tweezers on your right hand at all times (or on the other hand).

4) Align the ZIF Connector to the female end until you think it is approximately touching

5) Move the ZIF Connector around very sluggishly until you sort of feel that the connector doesn't want to move. This is a sign that the male is ready to penetrate the female.

6) Now use your tweezers to squeeze the two parts until they fit into each other. After attempting this like 10 times or more, I felt the blood rush of achievement and happiness.

Also, thank you very much for OG's tutorial and for the useful responses.

Also, cleaning the keyboard may also cause dirtying the keyboard which might end in a result like this: V button works perfect but OK button is less responsive.

Last edited:

Feel

Feb 4, 2005
Verified

Hi everybody,

this worked for me and I would like to thank HKT for this guide, really appreciate it! I had this issue after 6 months of using X1. It started with Spacebar key and then it was the same for V,B,N,M keys. First of all I tried warranty claim. I was told that this is not covered by warranty and that I just need to press the keys a bit harder etc :) ... which was really funny suggestion. They did not understand that it was working fine before. So I decided to do this under warranty. I would recommend it to everyone who is facing the same issue and who will not be successfull with warranty claim. Now it is working without any mistake, exactly as it was before! It's not as difficult as it seems to be, so don't be scared and go ahead. Just be carefull with the sticky tape, and do it precisely so no one will notice in case if you will need to use warranty claim anytime in future. Someone was asking which cleaner or detergent use?

I used St-tissues: http://www.dezenfektan.com.tr/pdfing/sttissuesi.pdf
I am using this for any other cleaning of electronic devices.

Let's just hope that it will not be repetitive issue
icon4.gif

Thank you once again HKT for this usefull thread!
Greetings from Czech Republic, Prague.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody!

Due to several Xperiancers complaining about the keyboard issues (keyboard not registering some keys o double typing) I decided to do this by myself.

Now my keyboard is again fully working.

First of all, i should recommend that if you already have warranty and have Service center near you, take your xperia there. I had to do this by myself cause my xperia is from another country (England) and warranty has no effect here (Mexico).

Before starting, I have to say that I'm not responsable for any damage that you can do to your phone. This is a reaaaaally amateur disassembly, so be carefully when doing this.

You'll need some tools (I dont know the name of the tools in english but you can figure out some of them)

- Ear swabs (can't find another thing)
    - Hexagonal tool for the screws besides the camera
    - something like a plastic guitar tool for opening the sides of the xperia
    - small cross screw driver
    - you can use some pharmaceutical alcohol on the ear swabs for the cleaning (so you dont leave any rests of ear swabs in the keyboard)

The little one that looks like a hook is actually the exagonal tool for the screws of the camera.

Well, let's start.. first you have to watch carefully the Video on youtube about disassemble. It's a very professional disassemble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDurQrRt-Y

Now, in the 3:19 of the video, looks like he easily took off the connector... IT'S NOT!! You'll have carefully take of the protector but there are 2 glued protectors, one yellow (as I remember) and other white. Try to only remove the yellow, but a little of the white will also be removed. be carefull with that.

follow the video to the 4:13 and stop!

now.. you will have the main board of the keyboard and will look like this

Ok, then we will have to remove the black glued strip that covers the top of the keyboard. be carefull with this cause it will try to stick in everything.

Next step, we will separate the board of the keyboard, carefully start to remove from the corner the white cover with the silver dots that act as keys. (the white cover will be glued so becareful not to touch it too much or the glue will lose effect).

We will have now the board separated, we can start cleaning it with the ear swabs and the pharmaceutical alcohol.

We will do the same with the silver dots of the white cover.

Once it's cleaned, we will put the board and the with cover together. try to align the best posible. (in my case it didn't result perfect but works really fine).

The keyboard is separated in two sections. the aphabetic part and the lower row. we'll do the same with the lower row.

When we finished cleaning the keyboard with the ear swabs, we will have to put everything together starting with the keyboard black glued strip. Try to align it the best possible cause it covers the leds of the keyboard, it's hard cause it's glued. I believe there are really small spaces for the light. try to align them as good as possible. and when in position, press it with the ear swabs.

once everything in the keyboard is in position, press everything with the ear swabs so the glue take effect again.

now, for the keys, try to clean the keys gently. that is the most dirty part of the keyboard.

Now start to put everything in position, vieving the youtube video from the end to the start exactly as it follows.

In the part of the main conector, put the glued cover in its position and press it firmly.

Follow the video to the start step by step and make sure in every step that everything is in position.

turn on your phone and make sure the keys are working again.

The whole gallery of pictures I took is here..

http://img12.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc02799sam.jpg

----------UPDATE--------------

here are some recommendations of some users that succesfully cleaned their keyboards

- [XavierGr] used pharmaceutical alcohol on the ear swabs
    - [Feel] used St-tissues: http://www.dezenfektan.com.tr/pdfing/sttissuesi.pdf

- Be very carefull doing this cause XavierGr broke his frame.

- [Poetryrocksalot] recommends us.... a lot:
    1) Get this kind of tweezers: http://jawproducts.com/images/tweeze...rvedsolder.jpg