AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 DeBloating

Search This thread

Commodore 64

May 6, 2013
Hello to all the fans of less programs/apps forced on the user.

To begin I'm listing what I have disabled/turned off from the stock rom, and I'm getting a better battery life and see less junk.

ANT Radio
ANT+ Plugins
AT&T FamilyMap
AT&T Hot Spots
AT&T Locker
AT&T Messages
AT&T Mobile Locate
AT&T Navigator
Beats Music
BlurbCheckout
Business card recognition
Caller Name ID
ChatON
Device Help
DriveMode
Flipboard
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
HP Print Service Plugin
Keeper
Mobile TV
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend
My Magazine
myAT&T
Print Spooler
S Voice
Samsung Account
Samsung Apps
Samsung Galaxy
Samsung GALAXY Apps Widget
Samsung Link Platform
Samsung Print Service Plugin
Samsung Push Service
Travel wallpaper
Wallet (Isis)

Note: I'm not using any of the apps/services listed above, and I have not run into any problems. If you are going to use them then don't disable them.

Battery life has increased enough to be noticed, but not dramatically.

Next Project: Make an Odin flashable DeBloated stock ROM in both rooted and unrooted versions.

I got a full Stock ROM download from Samsung Kies to start Debloating and adding Root using Android Kitchen.
This file contains four files:

AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
CP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
CSC_ATT_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
BL_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

Accomplished:
System folder is located and the apps listed above deleted from "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5"

Also ran this through the Kitchen and got it rooted, signed, zipaligned, ... (Choosing the lazy option for now) and got my output .Zip

Stuck on:
1- the Android kitchen .Zip file is flashable using a custom recovery mod. e.g. CWM or it's PhilZ version, which isn't currently available for this phone.
I don't have previous experience that these .Zip files can be flashed through Odin. So I assume it won't work.

2- Cannot put the System folder I Debloated back together to get accepted and read by Odin.

Last edited:

Commodore 64

May 6, 2013
so what needs to happen now is the content inside that zip file need to get converted to "system.img.ext4" file, then I will put that file back into the tar ball "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_.... .tar.md5" and load it up in the PDA section of Odin.

So that is where i'm stuck; in re-packing all those files back into "system.img.ext4" file. There is a delicate way to do this, also discussed in parts somewhere on the XDA forums. One has to know the final partition size to include it in the command used to pack those in to a "system.img.ext4" file.

Last edited:

TheSheibs

Apr 12, 2014
That is awesome. I can't wait to see this finished. Seems you found a way to root it. Are you going to make it so that a "noob" like me can do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cstayton

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
so what needs to happen now is the content inside that zip file need to get converted to "system.img.ext4" file, then I will put that file back into the tar ball "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_.... .tar.md5" and load it up in the PDA section of Odin.

So that is where i'm stuck; in re-packing all those files back into "system.img.ext4" file. There is a delicate way to do this, also discussed in parts somewhere on the XDA forums. One has to know the final partition size to include it in the command used to pack those in to a "system.img.ext4" file.

even if you get it back in the tar your not going to flash it in odin, the AT&T bootloader is locked odin will not flash a file once you have rebuilt it because it does not contain the samsung signatures. i have already got a fully built flashable ROM for the AT&T just waiting for root and BL unlock.

your on the right path, so dont get discouraged but it just isnt that simple.

P.S. Before you even ask, yes i have tried multiple iterations of building the system.img.ext4 file and signing it.
P.P.S if you really want the best experience from building a rom build a linux box (either linuxmint or ubuntu) the kitchen is a great tool
but running under cygwin in windows there are many limitations including not being able to create a system.img.ext4 file or generate the correct md5sum.

Last edited:

Commodore 64

May 6, 2013
Thanks cstayton for giving me a glimpse of what i'm dealing with here. From your comments a I searched further and found

http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Standing by for SM-G900A root release. I'm taking down my DropBox Dl link above since it is no use any more.

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
No root = No dev on the ATT or VZW versions of the S5 this is because of the locked BL. Likely that there won't be a BL unlock or bypass like Loki. Eventually a root exploit will be found just a matter of time, but no one knows how long that will be. There likely down the road after root will be safestrap which will allow custom TW roms based on the stock TW kernel. What likely won't happen is AOSP.

CF-Root does not work and never will as long as the bootloader is locked due to how it obtains root (modified stock recovery to push root). /System cannot be modified to root the ATT/VZW S5, this has already been cofirmed by Chainfire. An exploit on Kit Kat has to be found. Sadly anyone who got the ATT S5 expecting great Dev support right out the gate picked the wrong variant.

TheSheibs

Apr 12, 2014
A friend of mine mentioned that the note 3 has a locked BL and Knox but is still able to be rooted. I am wondering if the root for the note 3 would work on the s5. Has it been considered or tried? I would try it but I do not have the knowledge necessary to undo it if something goes wrong. It seems like something that could really mess up the device if you don't know what your doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Commodore 64

May 6, 2013
I have the rom cooked and ready and it was ready to go in odin 3.07. Well the thing is if I'm willing to part with the one year warranty since it will advance the knox counter and at the end of the day that shouldn't matter anyways because even if a root solution/exploit is released, flashing it by odin will still advance the counter ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
I have the rom cooked and ready and it was ready to go in odin 3.07. Well the thing is if I'm willing to part with the one year warranty since it will advance the knox counter and at the end of the day that shouldn't matter anyways because even if a root solution/exploit is released, flashing it by odin will still advance the counter ...

Once root is achieved (hopefully soon-ish) will we see prior AT&T devs flocking to the device for things such as SafeStrap and TriangleAway. I assume once we have root we will have a way to trip the knox shortly after. Root is key.

Simer03

Apr 17, 2010
My s5 is coming in a matter of hours! I'm looking forward to root but I don't mind staying stock for a while as long as I can disable apps! The part I'll have to get used to is no more "Greenify" app but oh well

Sent from my Nexus 5

Commodore 64

May 6, 2013
So what at&t and verizon did was not only lock the phone's bootloaders but encrypt them. The encryption part is problematic for now.
If we can't flash with odin then we can't load custom recoveries like cwm/twrp then this phones becomes less attractive for developers. I have made a rooted version of stock ready with android kitchen but currently I don't have a way to load it on my device to test it.

I tried and Odin crashed, knox counter did not advance.

cstayton

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
So what at&t and verizon did was not only lock the phone's bootloaders but encrypt them. The encryption part is problematic for now.
If we can't flash with odin then we can't load custom recoveries like cwm/twrp then this phones becomes less attractive for developers. I have made a rooted version of stock ready with android kitchen but currently I don't have a way to load it on my device to test it.

I tried and Odin crashed, knox counter did not advance.

Well your right, Odin will not flash any custom rom with locked bootloader, once you touch the stock img.ext4 you break the samsung signatures, nothing you can do will flash that file.

If it was as simple as re-creating the system.img.ext4 and flashing with Odin we wouldn't have to worry about locked BL.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello to all the fans of less programs/apps forced on the user.

To begin I'm listing what I have disabled/turned off from the stock rom, and I'm getting a better battery life and see less junk.

ANT Radio
    ANT+ Plugins
    AT&T FamilyMap
    AT&T Hot Spots
    AT&T Locker
    AT&T Messages
    AT&T Mobile Locate
    AT&T Navigator
    Beats Music
    BlurbCheckout
    Business card recognition
    Caller Name ID
    ChatON
    Device Help
    DriveMode
    Flipboard
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Games
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Newsstand
    HP Print Service Plugin
    Keeper
    Mobile TV
    MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
    My Magazine
    myAT&T
    Print Spooler
    S Voice
    Samsung Account
    Samsung Apps
    Samsung Galaxy
    Samsung GALAXY Apps Widget
    Samsung Link Platform
    Samsung Print Service Plugin
    Samsung Push Service
    Travel wallpaper
    Wallet (Isis)

Note: I'm not using any of the apps/services listed above, and I have not run into any problems. If you are going to use them then don't disable them.

Battery life has increased enough to be noticed, but not dramatically.

Next Project: Make an Odin flashable DeBloated stock ROM in both rooted and unrooted versions.

I got a full Stock ROM download from Samsung Kies to start Debloating and adding Root using Android Kitchen.
    This file contains four files:

AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
    CP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
    CSC_ATT_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5
    BL_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

Accomplished:
    System folder is located and the apps listed above deleted from "AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5"

Also ran this through the Kitchen and got it rooted, signed, zipaligned, ... (Choosing the lazy option for now) and got my output .Zip

Stuck on:
    1- the Android kitchen .Zip file is flashable using a custom recovery mod. e.g. CWM or it's PhilZ version, which isn't currently available for this phone.
    I don't have previous experience that these .Zip files can be flashed through Odin. So I assume it won't work.

2- Cannot put the System folder I Debloated back together to get accepted and read by Odin.
    Messing with S5 and Ubuntu now. Have some ways to mount via MTP but its buggy. saw the system directory one time, now gone.

Has anyone tried connecting a rooted S3 or non ATT/VZN S5 to an ATT or VZN S5 and tried tunneling into the non-rooted phone file system thru the USB cable?

In other words get (or make) a special cable that will connect 2 phones together. Boot em both up, open terminal and SU on the rooted phone (so now you have full access to rooted phones file system) - and then try to see if there is a way to view the non-rooted phones files?

even if you get it back in the tar your not going to flash it in odin, the AT&T bootloader is locked odin will not flash a file once you have rebuilt it because it does not contain the samsung signatures. i have already got a fully built flashable ROM for the AT&T just waiting for root and BL unlock.

your on the right path, so dont get discouraged but it just isnt that simple.

P.S. Before you even ask, yes i have tried multiple iterations of building the system.img.ext4 file and signing it.
    P.P.S if you really want the best experience from building a rom build a linux box (either linuxmint or ubuntu) the kitchen is a great tool
    but running under cygwin in windows there are many limitations including not being able to create a system.img.ext4 file or generate the correct md5sum.
    Intersting view. I used to peak inside corrupted hdds with various permissions using Knoppix linux in the old days and that thing just ignores the current permissions and let you do your own combination of -rwx ... let's see if I can get this puppy mounted on Knoppix when I get back from work

this is what I have Turned off without any issues:

Adapt Sound
    ANY Radio
    ANT+ plugins
    AT&T Family Map
    AT&T Hotspots
    AT&T Locker
    AT&T Message
    Basic Daydreams
    Beats Music
    BlurbCheckout
    Bubbles
    Caller Name ID (Imagine, I still see who is calling...HAHA)
    ChatOn
    Com.Samsung.android.sdk.spenv10
    Com.Samsung.android.mimage/photo
    Device Help
    DirectConnectManager
    Drive
    DriveMode
    Emergency Provider
    Flipboard
    Google Calander Sync
    Google Partner Setup
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Newsstand
    Google+
    Group Play (sounds kinda kinky)
    Hangouts
    Keeper (lock with @ in it - what is this?)
    Market Feedback Agent
    Mobile TV
    MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
    My Magazine (AFTER removed from desktop manager)
    NNL Fingerprint Passport
    One Time Init
    Phase Beam
    Photo Screensavers
    Picasa Uploader
    S Health (Was too gimicky and adds - great idea, poor implementation)
    S Voice
    Swype (I dont like the predictive nor swiping keyboard)
    Talkback
    Travel Wallpaper
    Wallet

A few others I may turn off:
    AT&T Mobile Locate
    AT&T Navigator
    BusinessCard Recognition
    DirectShareManager

And there were a Dozen or more apps I'd like to turn off, bit dont allow me to, such as
    Geo News
    FWUpgrade - etc etc...bloatware

List of apps?

atrix-burst-gs2-note-note2-gs5